Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2014

Nihahi, light a fire, put some soup on the stove, and get out a good book. Feeling very cozy inside is the only way to forget about outside - lol.

Bosum, so glad you are moving forward at last. Perseverance always pays off.

A good day to everybody else! I am so tired after yoga, strength training, organ practise, and grocery shopping this morning - think a nap will be in order.

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited March 2014

bosum- So glad you got that sorted out!

nihahi- brrrrr, I hope the spring sunshine finds you soon.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited March 2014

Tammy-I've got'em all!  Lets get all your plant therapy and my doterra oils together........we could cure the world!Winking

Bosum......GLAD something went your way today!  It's about time, girl!   Hope all is well when you get the exam.......

Nihahi, I am NOT trying to rub anything in......but this is especially for you.....I think you need it!..........

Liefie...your letter arrived today.....thank you!

BLUEBIRD......IF YOU ARE READING THIS.....HELLO!  I HOPE YOU ARE FEELING A BIT BETTER......REALLY HOPING YOU CAN JOIN US IN SEPTEMBER......IT'S GONNA BE FUN!

Love to all.............

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2014

Beautiful flowers, Movie! I had a business meeting today that was held at the local botanical garden.....what a nice treat....lots of bulbs blooming inside.

Bluebird....thinking of you every day.

Cannot WAIT for September!

I had my six month onco visit today. She ordered breast MRI without me even asking, so THAT was easy ;) plus blood work, bone density and heart echo (I'm a left side radiation girl plus Herceptin, so they do heart testing periodically). I saw my OT afterward and she is pretty happy with where my shoulder is ...we'll keep working on it, but we're making progress, very happy about that!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2014

Anybody interested in bringing their yoga mat to the gathering??? 

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited March 2014

Nihahi, I was just wondering today if someone would lead us in a little yoga. I don't do it much yet and have some LE limitations but I'm interested.

• bailey6760
    edited March 2014

Yes, Nihahi, that sounds great, I am novice, but sounds like a great way to spend time.

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

woohoo.....meet you on the mat sista!!!!

I am NOT a teacher, but have had some wonderful teachers myself. It would be great to share what we all know and do....fyi...I'm completely into NON-COMPETITIVE, respect YOUR body and what you should/shouldn't....can/can't do. 

jeannie..... did those LE sleeves EVER turn up????

bailey...what is the latest on your Dad's progress?

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

yes, the sleeves showed up! They were mixed up with some old ones! They are my favorites and are getting old, too. New ones in May, assuming insurance....

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

Nihahi, from what I've read, I'm not supposed to do things that put my body weight on my arms, like downward facing dog, etc., handlebars on bikes for long periods. I am very compliant because it has served me well. Having said that, my LE therapist has always said I can try something, see how it goes, and adjust accordingly. Not usually the way I roll in light of everything else. Maybe tmi....

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

jeannie......no problemo girl.....you're talking to the weak shoulder, wonky wrist, wonky knee, tight hip, tight lower back queen!!!!!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

bosom blues, right there with ya tomorrow! You are smart, you are brave, you can do this!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited March 2014

bosom, good look tomorrow. I know what you mean about chemo brain, but sometimes the words come easier when we are passionate about something. You will do great. 

Nihahi, yoga sounds like a wonderful idea. I am sitting here chuckling at the vision of all of us with our wonky limitations doing yoga. That's the beauty of yoga, we can each move at our own pace. It's all about the spirit, and we all have plenty of spirit!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited March 2014

Good morning,  just a quick update. Standing on the steroid ledge and waiting to get talked down. If they didn't make me bipolar by cleaving my skull in two, this steroid crash will. Super emotional and either feeling high or in the abyss.

Vision is much better, scary hallucinations almost gone, and cutouts decreasing. Prayers helping so much. Thank you.

Saw my radiation oncology team on Wednesday and I asked how long would I have to wait before I could have my expander out.  The lead doctor said,  "if I were you I wouldn't bother completing any  more reconstruction" .

I am devasted. Surgeon got all the tumor so I'm confused about why this doctor said that. I didn't hear anything else she said after that. It is a terrible thing when a doctor takes away all your hope. 

Jeannie you and I can just do savasanas, or relaxation pose while the other girls make themselves into pretzels.  ;*)

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited March 2014

Bluebird, you (or someone you love) needs to sit down with the lead physician and explain that your recon process is YOUR choice, and if getting the expander out and feeling better about how you look (and feel) is hopeful for you, you have the right to steam right ahead.  And what was that statement supposed to mean, anyway?  

Sounds to me like he needs HIS head examined.

• FierceBluebird
    edited March 2014

Thanks sbel. Normally I'm pretty good about letting comments go, (usually from doctors or men)  but this one was especially taken to heart because it came from a woman.

I'm not sure what the implication was either. 

Hubby said two things to me later:  (I hope I don't offend anyone)

1) remember she's just a radiation neurology oncologist and all she cares about is your brain

2) she's a Ruskie. Not known for their warm fuzziness around here

Lol!

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

geez...what is it with insensitive thoughtless doc remarks this week! 

bluebird....I agree with sbe...it is NO ONE's choice....but YOUR's! Don't lose hope.....you have just as much right to complete your recon as anyone else. On the "other" topic, you are sounding stronger with each message. So good to see you come back to life. 

zenful...I expect there will be LOTS of chuckles throughout the gathering....I'm pretty good at laughing at myself, and it sounds like my theory re" yoga matches yours. 

sbe.....you can help us out with some of your Pilates moves!!!

bosum....sending you energy to do what you need to do today....get your TOWANDA on girl!

• FierceBluebird
    edited March 2014

Love you ladies! 

Yes, meant to add I'll be sending any extra energy I have (granted not much) bosumblues way. TOWANDA

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

bluebird....no offense taken here...and it sounds like hubby is a wise man. I'm guessing she's is one of "those" mindsets of "be grateful we got rid of the cancer....what more can you want" people. You can want a whole lot more, and have every right to get it!!!!!

The funny thing about energy.....I believe, the more you use on behalf of someone else....the more room it makes for you to "grow some" for yourself. Happy energy growth day to you, kiddo.

sbe...I just read on another thread that coffee has now been declared a cancer recurrance fighter....I'm going for my second cuppa....Have good days ladies...TGIF

• FierceBluebird
    edited March 2014

I agree 100%. I almost never pray for myself other than to be thankful. I pray constantly and hold people into the light, I just have always sent energy to others. I even say prayers to the universe for the next person that needs one.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited March 2014

Bluebird, we are ALL praying for you, and in my humble opinion, God would welcome a conversation with you about yourself.  It would be OK to say, "HELP!"

About recon...this becomes something of a metaphysical thing.  Wouldn't it just suck to go through all of this, and walk out of Vinnie the Tat Guy with gorgeous new 3-D nips, only to get mowed down by a bus on your way to the car?  NONE of us know what the future will bring, and NONE of us should put our lives on hold to wait for something...anything...to pan out.  

What's important to me is that it's MY CHOICE.  Give me the truth, give the the details, answer my questions, and get out of the way.

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

Bluebird, you sound so good! I'm glad your eyes, etc. are improving. i pray your "crashes" leave you soon.I think your DH is a wise man, as are the friends here who have commented. Your reconstruction decisions are YOURS. When I read what that doc said...ooh, I wish I had been there. Please don't let go of your hope. Hope is so important to our souls. it gets me up in the morning! I have a sweet visual of you praying. I have a hard time praying for myself, too, but I think it's ok to do. I am praying that you continue improving and soaring like the mighty eagle you are. Nobody can stop you, not even that clueless doc.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2014

Bluebird - Do not allow that doctor to take away your hope. Sounds to me like your hope is alive and kickin', and that particular doctor is a black cloud standing in the way. Push her aside and allow yourself to move forward. 

Maybe she thinks that you've been through too much all ready. But,  Pshaw! Has she ever had cancer and a brain tumour?! Clearly, she underestimates how strong you are. And how deserving you are of looking fabulous and feeling whole and healthy. 

My home care nurse was also Russian, and was the opposite of warm and fuzzy. His opinion of chemo was that we were all guinea pigs and probably didn't need it. Then he came over one day to give me my injection and we had this conversation:

'Why you wear wig!?'

'I'm bald'

'Bald ees better than wig. Put wig in closet'

Anyway - he redeemed himself a million times over as I got to know him. I'm not defending your doctor, but your post brought back a few memories. I just hope that you're feeling better today, and that you don't let one persons opinion stand in your way. 

Janet 

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

bosum.......TOWANDA!!!!!!!!!!

You've been treated well by the Judge and his choices....NOW..... YOU keep making good choices for yourself.....Congrats.

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

Wow, Deb, that does sound amazing! So glad you had a positive experience and your prayers were answered today.

• bailey6760
    edited March 2014

I do not have time to completely catch up this minute but Bluebird....WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE SAID TIMES 100.

I've learned to really dislike those "if it were me" and "if I were you" statements. I know it's a habit and often said with no harm intended, but it often seems to be or overtly is loaded with judgment. Have I ever said it, yup. Will I say it again? Likely. But I am so much more acutely aware of when others say it these days.....and I make an effort to not say it.

That's nice. But it's not you. It's me. So good for you that you think you know what you might do in these shoes, but they are my dog-gone shoes, so SHUT IT. You can be on my side or you can remain neutral. Doc gets to be the expert in whatever they are the expert in....I get to be the expert in ME....and we get to be the experts in living with this carp.

Somebody help me off this soapbox before I hurt myself.

Grrrrrrr

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

Ha, Bailey, love you! Cancer has really taught me that you can't experience what someone else has experienced unless you experience it yourself (?) , so keep the "if I were yous" to yourself. Of course, we are always called to be loving and compassionate and that doesn't require the above..

• bailey6760
    edited March 2014

And another dog-gone thing.....next time that happens to me I'm going to laugh and shake my head and apologize for the misunderstanding....and then say, "I didn't ask what you would do....just was wondering what I can do."

(Now back to work)....

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

bailey....ThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUp

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2014

Thanks for your comments.  I've appealed once and lost.  From comments here and on NOLA board I've figured out that I need to try to get a letter from my PS stating specifically why I can't have mammograms and I'm also going to put together a letter of appeal myself.  I'm really thinking, though, from some comments made here about other ladies followup care that I'm not going to do an MRI every year like my PS suggested. (I think it was my PS who said that... it's all a bit of a blur!)

Glad your day in court went well Bosumblues!