Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2014

(((((FierceBB))))), (((((Sharon))))), (((((mammalow)))))

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited April 2014

hugs to everyone having struggles this week. 

jeannie...hope mom stays positive and it's a great news week for you and hubby.

Sharon....that is tough to hear re: the new se. Hope the more conservative approach is successful for you, and that the pain diminishes quickly. CRAPPO!!!!

fierce....hugs, just hugs.....blue fluffy wings surrounding you.

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

nihani, have you made a decision on the fat grafting? I don't remember where I read your question about the donor site skin. My understanding is that depends on how much ps mines the site. In your case, likely very little, so there will not be any loose hanging surface area. I had a bit of it on my inner tight to fill in under the arm where nodes were taking. No problem. Good luck on your final touches coming up.

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

I am going to change my screen name too Smile.

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

jeannie, my mom is going to be 85 soon and she lives in an old age apartment. When we decided to move her there, she was unhappy and begged to let her stay with my little sister. Now whenever my little sister brings her home for a few days, her question is always "when are you taking me back?" Whenever we call, she is always busy doing something with her friends. I hope everything works out for your mom the same way.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited April 2014

Thanks for the good wishes re: my parents. My mom was taken by ambulance to the hospital yesterday because she thought she was having a heart attack but it was just stress. She is overwhelmed with wondering where they'll live, what they'll do with their things, etc. She does know they need to move. My younger brother who lives nearby is completely burned out by them and wants them to move right away. I know she needs me to come help but I am not emotionally strong enough right now. I am hoping I will be soon. I will have to be. Dad is still saying, "let's rent a small house." Uh, no. He wants to be the one taking care of all of us, not the opposite. 

Busy week here for me so I better get to it.

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

Hang in there jeannie.....there's room on the raft, you know! 

morningsun...(formly known as tammyt????).....yep, I'm going with the fat grafting. Decided to give it one shot. It's a different kind of lipo apparently....not a "suck out a whole area", but a finer needle type of aspiration. Shouldn't be much if any of a body "contour" difference afterward at the donor site,  so I'm more at peace with the decision. Of course, now I might need to scare up a ride for next Monday....hubby strained his knee yesterday, and we spent the evening at the urgent care. He is now in a knee splint, and non weight-bearing with crutches!!!! Last year, at this time....he'd been summoned for jury duty the same day as my flap surgery. Do you detect a pattern here??????

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited April 2014

Got trapped on the DIEP 2014 thread....just wanted to stop by and say "Love you ladies!"......my life kinda sucks right now......but I am making it work, and counting the months until out get-together in September......I just cashed the checks today, as my AMEX didn't bill me for it last month, and I didn't feel right keeping $$ in my account........(((hugs)))

Loopy

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

164 days and counting, movie...hugs to you all. Each and everyone of you.

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

bosum....positive thoughts for today's tests....! 

There is nothing "rational" about emotions...they are what they are. Time brings changes, and when our kids are involved, it just is an inescapable fact of life. As tough as this sounds for you, I think it's good that you can see the "benefits" that your son might gain. Especially given the "caution" you understandably feel about your ex's motives. I'm not sure how old your son is, but, "couch living" might be something he just needs to move beyond, for many reasons.  Before he actually moves on, can you try to connect with new things/people to fill the void you expect to feel? Even something as "superficial" as buying a pail of paint in a colour that you love to redo your reclaimed "living space", might help you view this as an opportunity to move forward too? 

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

Good luck BosumBlues.

Movie, we are here for you. Pop in whenever you need to.

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2014

bosum... If you're a freak, so am I!   Thanks for the prayers.  My post op is Thursday and I guess I'll find out then about the biopsy.  I admit when they didn't call on Monday ( their clinic day) I had a little fear attack.  But, I also know it probably means nothing.  

I have done everything to lead a healthy lifestyle, but honestly, it was pretty healthy before.  I walk a minimum of  15000 steps a day, eat a whole food diet, don't do other bad things.  I've tried to cut down on sacrificing my life for my job.  If cancer comes back.... I will feel it is out if my control.

My bruising on my fat grafted breast is clearing pretty fast.  I got back from a staff meeting today and realized my breast binder on my biopsy side had slipped down under my boob.  I sure hope it wasn't noticeable. Lol

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

bosum...no worries, gal...I'm glad the mammo went well. Mammalou....now it's your turn for a "happy scenario"!

bosum...."beating yourself up over the past" is going to have zero benefit to you in the future. There are lots of opinions on what constitutes a healthy lifestyle, but the key I think, is to find what you can do at the point you are at now....then work from there. If you're not active ....start with going for a walk every day....doesn't have to be a 50k mountain climb....try a 30min walk, somewhere that you enjoy. Consistency is what you are trying to build to start with. I bet you will find dedicating 30 minutes a day to doing something "good for your health"...puts you on the path to doing more, and finding other healthy habits too, like eating better, etc. If nothing else, I bet it gives you back a sense that you CAN control parts of your life, and that confidence may help you in many other ways. 

If anyone is interested, on the "post your daily exercise thread" several ladies have recently posted studies regarding the role exercise plays in lowering recurrence chances. 

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

we cross posted bosum.....but I'm going to bed now....congrats on the curls!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited April 2014

I'm here.....just up to my eyeballs in busy.....love you all!!!

• bailey6760
    edited April 2014

Hahaha it was a drive by, Bosumblues, sorry, these people I gave birth to think they come first Winking. Sorry your lunch was less than satisfying....don't worry about how you look....I bet your chemo curls are encouraging! Love and hugs....and prayers for a job!

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

It's official......straight from the IRS.....I'M ALIVE!!!!!!!! Just got my 2012 tax refund in the mail today. Sheesh....you'd think they'd at least add a little "welcome back" note or something! Nerdy

bosum.....one thing bc certainly teaches us, is what is "REALLY" important in life. The fact that you find conversation about clothes, etc, boring, shows that you have stood on the edge of something scary and huge. The fact that you are still here, means, you have been able to get through some really, really tough stuff. You see life from a different perspective these days. I keep saying it, but it is soooooo important.....give yourself time to find your way forward. Give yourself opportunities to do, feel, try new things. You'll find your way.

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2014

My kitty, Kaitlyn(which I which I brought her home in 2006 after my first round of cancer)(I was wrong about her age, my other cat is the older one) has gone to live with the angels.  My husband found her this morning but didn't say anything until late afternoon because he knows how upset I would be. I did not want to see her.  We put her is a special fabric box and buried her under the butterfly bushes. She loved to chase butterflies and managed to catch a bird which she promptly came in the kitty door and dropped it at my feet.  lol@her  This just isn't fair and my heart is broken.  I just wanted to share with you all because you know how much she meant to me.  I am glad she was home not at the vet's office(this does comfort me some). 

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Kat-ski, my sympathies! We love our pets like family, so sorry.

Welcome to the land of the living, Nihahi!

• Moviemaniac
    edited April 2014

Bosum.....Thinking of you.  As is the usual way of things....Nihahi has some good, sound advice.   Hang in there.....your path will become clear to you.  Just keep seeking it!  (((Hugs)))

Kat-ski....so very sorry about your beloved kitty.   I once read a very special poem about our pets leaving us.....this is for you.......(((hugs)))

• Moviemaniac
    edited April 2014

Nihahi...so very glad you are alive.  Having you otherwise at the September gathering would be.......well....awkward, to say the least!!!!!!Winking

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, I track all the cardiac arrest incidents at work and I've gotten pretty good and knowing who's dead and who's not.  Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes, sista.  

Kat-ski, I'm so sorry about Katie.  Losing a pet is absolutely losing a member of the family.  (((hug)))

Bosumblues, I loved my chemo curls.  After having stick-straight hair all my life, having soft, wavy curls, especially after being bald as an egg, was so much fun!  I started going commando when I was still pretty hairless, and when it first started coming in, it was WHITE.  Whoa.  Then it got darker as it got longer, but it was still salt-and-pepper.  Funny thing...now I'm blonde...

Babysat Aubrey tonight!  Grandma time is such bliss.  

Hey, Bailey, how are your folks doing?  Your dad getting along with his bionic prosthetic snap-on tool?

I posted on the 2014 DIEP thread, but you guys are my peeps, so I wanted you to know my next surgery is June 4.  Probably just two more to go, then it's tattoo and too-da-loo to BC!

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

whoop, Sbel! It will feel so good to be done!  My daughter and granddaughter are coming up from SD on Friday for a week. My daughter has a wedding just north over the border on Saturday so our Isabelle is terribly excited to have Nana and Grandpa to herself all day. She is eight and we haven't seen her in a year. She has a list of things she wants to do....go to Starbucks, the mall (8 going on 13), the school to play, play with our dog and do silly things with Grandpa who is very silly. I can hardly wait! I may have shared all that before....

Well, this week Mom took an ambulance ride to the hospital with a "false" heart attack, Dad fell today from having a TIA. I don't know if we can get them back and forth to move to San Diego (they live in N. CA) at this point but something must be done. They haven't lost their minds so it's hard to convince them they need help, believe it or not. It will all work out somehow!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited April 2014

Katski, so sorry for your loss of kaitlyn. No matter how old or how sick, it's never easy to lose a beloved pet. She had a good life with you and knows how much you loved her.

Movie, that was a beautiful rainbow bridge painting..

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

Kat-ski....hugs to you. So sorry about your loss. Pets are what get us through some of the toughest stuff. Hope you can focus on the happiness and comfort your kitty brought you.

hey fierce....good to hear from you. You are never far from any of our hearts and thoughts.

sbe...and WHAT pray-tell, is your issue with "seasoned hair colour"? Winkingjust kidding....colour slides off my hair like shampoo in the shower. I let the little young things assume I'm ancient, and take every senior's discount I get offered! I AM TOO ALIVE....I mean..the IRS is NEVER mistaken! June 4 sounds like a "biggy", but I bet you'll be super happy with the results. Getting there girl....WOOHOO

jeannie....Love the name Isabelle...so pretty! You go right ahead and share your Grandma news as much as you want...!!! I'm sooo very happy to hear you looking forward to something wonderful. 8 going on 13.....going to be "good times" for sure!!!

movie....you are my hero....don't know how you keep going with your "life" responsibilities...Sure wish I could help in some way. Hugs, my dear friend....big, mountain"y" hugs.

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

I saw this when I started Firefox this morning and thought about you, Kat-ski.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited April 2014

Hey Girls - I've been away a while and there sure is a lot of catching up to do. 

Seems that there's lots of nipple action, waiting for tests, family challenges, and all those tough tough decisions that have to be made.  I'm still enjoying catching up. Last week I went to France. I've been promising myself all along that once surgery was done, and while I still had a flat tummy, I was going to to springtime in Paris. I was hoping to have nipples by now - but since nothing every goes according to plan - I went without. And it was wonderful. We went to the south, and rented bikes, and drove through fields of flowers  ate fabulous food, and were surrounded by beauty. I wish you'd all been there. 

Liefie and Mammlou - I'm following your progress. My surgery is scheduled for May 27 so I'm hanging on to all the details. Are you pleased. Mamma, do you still have the post surgery blues? I didn't realize that tamoxifen causes a fatty liver. 

Kat-ski - I'm so very sorry about the loss of your cat. It certainly isn't fair that she was taken from you. I know your heart is broken,  and I'm glad she passed at home where she knew she was loved.

Jeannie Jeannie Jeannie - You have so many little hurdles and continue to face all these challenges with such a great attitude. I have such faith in you and your husband and that good things are waiting at the end of this windy road,  for you both.  By the way, a lot of my peers have parents in their 80's and without exception, they've all blossomed once they got into a retirement home. (I'm not allowed to say 'old age home'). However - getting them out of their current homes and into a retirement home has always been a struggle. It's like trying to squeeze them through a very small window but once they're through - so happy and grateful. My mom is in the process of selling them family home but hasn't started looking for a place to live. I'm storing all my extra strength to deal with that this summer. 

Also, I found your 'return to modesty' really interesting. And I totally get it. I've been treating my boobs like a science experiment but as they iI'm feeling more whole, I'm getting more protective too 

Bosum - All your thoughts seem totally rational to me. I'd feel abandoned too, if my son moved out. I'm not a parent, but I guess you have to just put all your energy into your son's welfare rather than hateful thoughts. Having said that - I know that if I was in your shoes I'd be fantasizing about my ex's head exploding or getting run over by a truck. (I'd be a terrible parent)

Fierce - I thought about you in New Jersey while I was looking at the wildflowers and listening to the birds in France. Nature is so good at taking care of itself and decisions are instinctive. I wish your life was as easy. I wish you strength and calm in all your upcoming decisions and challenges this spring.  

Nihahi - So glad you're alive! 

Janet

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

Just want to send {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{EVERYONE}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} hugs.  Goldie, good to hear from you.  I've never had TEs, so no iron bra.  It does feel like I have a bra on all the time, but no pain at all.  Good one year check-ups this week from my BS and MO.  Movie, I don't think I've seen your results.  Jeannie, enjoy that grand daughter!  FierceBlue, you are always in my thoughts and prayers.  I will be having lipo, fat grafting, and nipples done on May 23, 2014.  Just happens to be the anniversary of my BMX.  Kat-Ski, so sorry about your kitty.  Yes, I love my dogs more than most people.  They are totally non-judgmental as long as we feed them.  Bosum you are sounding good.  Hope all is well.  Love you all.  ...Julie

• bailey6760
    edited April 2014

I have one nipple and am happy to travel....Idk when I will get new nipple.....it seems to have fallen down the list of priorities right now....

Mammalou how ya doin? 

Fiercelyblue you are on my prayers and mind daily, my friend.

All.of you are...Movie and Bosumblues and Jeannie with each of you in your troubles.....take a float on the raft.

Nihahi...

So.glad you are alive....I always suspected as much ;)

Still waiting to hear if I'm "twins" (stolen social security number or just a simple typo....who knows).

Mom and Dad are coming along, slowly, but coming along. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are on spring break and went to their house with lunch yesterday. I understand a good time was had by all. 

Love to all!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2014

Bosum - what she said was also so untrue.  Not all daughters ever become best friends (or even friends) with their mother.  I became the parent as the years progressed and it wasn't fun, but we were never best friends.  Just ignore stupid people with little substance.