Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited April 2014

zenful....unfortunately, I have had two previous rounds of  surgeries on my face, under local, by another PS who, along with his staff, were completely tuned out to any pain or emotions I was experiencing. Horrific experiences and has left me with nightmares to this day. Thankfully, this time was nothing similar!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, I will come prepared . . . yes, Edmonton had snow too. Was hoping to take Emily for walks - hopefully the stroller has snow tires? LOL.

Wishing each of you a happy Easter. It's a bit early, but I will not have the opportunity to come here again before I leave, so have a very good weekend with your loved ones, and enjoy everything to the fullest. Today is the only day we have, so let's celebrate!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited April 2014

Nihahi - 

Thanks for sharing your story and I'm so glad it's a happy one, and that you felt at ease. Two Ativans sound like the perfect way to kick off your surgery. Being happy is a perfect way to end it!

I hope to do as well (or as calm) as you when I get my nipples  in May. I'm having a local as well, so it's nice to know that you and Jeannie are doing so well. 

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2014

Thought for today!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2014

Blue birds are smart!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited April 2014

Janet, I was eerily calm right before and during my nipple "arts and crafts project," as my PS referred to it. I thought about taking Ativan but didn't. It was a pleasant surprise to me to be so calm and EXCITED!

We're having so much fun with GD, Isabelle. 8 years old is such a fun age. She says the funniest things and is smart and kind. It would be so fun to live near each other and hang-out. We are making good memories. I did end up walking too much yesterday at Snoqualmie Falls but it was worth it. There is a new trail to the bottom of the falls. It's only half a mile down but with shin splints that seems so far! Luckily there is a new pkg. lot down there so DH and one DD hiked up and drove the car down. Today was a ferry ride and now little girl movies. Izzy's mom is in Seattle exploring with friends----who are on their honeymoon!  DH is still interviewing at various places, which is more than a lot of unemployed folks get so that is a blessing. One of these days......

Kat-ski, that bird is a beauty! We've been listening to red-tailed hawks and eagles nearby and watching birds build nests in the Hydrangea vine on a fence perpendicular to our family room window. The hawks would have to be pretty bold to search out those little nests.

My daughter is only 5'2" ---Izzy is catching up to her!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited April 2014

Katski, love it!

Morningsun, you are too cute. Here's a bluebird fact of the day....bluebirds raise their babies and unlike other birds who chase their young away, the first chicks hatched and grown help raise the siblings who come along. 

Jeannie, beautiful girls!

Liefie, happy Easter!

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

Jeannie, I was once told that "big girls are admired, little girls are loved." I am just over 5ft1 Smile

• lilyun
    lilyun Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014

hi ladies I just discovered this discussion. I missed all of you and it felt like coming home to read your names and posts again. I have not been reading the boards for about 6 months. I have felt as the title of this discussion says that I have moved ahead beyond the diep I had in dec 2012 and the stage 2 I had on April 2013 which had some complications. I've had two nipple tattoos the last one being this October when I received my certificate of completion from my ps. I have been working more  after branching out more in my career and I have enjoyed it. My DH who was unemployed during my surgery and recuperation got a job and things were moving ahead. Then this long and lousy winter hit along with the mood swings of menopause. I spent much of the winter depressed, not so much as a result of the bc more about the culmination of events in my lifetime. However now that spring is supposedly here ha ha I am starting to feel a little lighter about things. I have to say that menopause sucks and has given me as much trouble as bc did. I look forward to catching up with what you have all been up to.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, sounds like good reason to be terrified!  I am happy you had a better experience this time, and that you are feeling complete. 

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

Not meaning to be a "downer" but I think the ativan has completely worn off and I have a case of the post-op blues. Not liking the shape of the nippled breast as much as I first thought....hoping it's a matter of a bit of swelling that needs to resolve. Also not liking the shaping of the thigh where the lipo was done for the fat grafting...again...hoping it's a matter of things settling down. On the happy side...the fat grafted area looks good....very bruised, but good.

Of course, maybe it's the day of snow that has me down too....will it NEVER STOP SNOWINGBawling

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited April 2014

Hey my Moving On pals, got a question.  For you guys that had "crop circles, " how where they dealt with at stage 2.  Are they gone after stage 2?  If so, how do they close them up?  My PS is talking about making them smaller at stage 2 and then putting nipples in them?  Hmmm...not sure how that would look since there seems to be an indentation around the crop circle. At least in the pics that I have seen.

Hope everybody is doing well.  My surgery is getting closer and I am  excited. 

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, you're 100% right about waiting for the swelling to settle down before you really know how things will look.  But that knowledge doesn't help the post-op blues.  There's something about the build-up and anxiety about surgery, whether or not we get general anesthesia, and when it's over, we've got what we've got.  

A couple nights' sleep will help with the perspective, I think.  And a few weeks of settling in for the new girls and the thigh will also help a lot. 

I'm thrilled the procedure itself wasn't the nightmare you've experienced before.  Hang in there, sista...

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited April 2014

I LOVE the pictures, ladies!  (And Jeannie, I know I told you on FB that your GD was adorable....but she really is a cutie....and I am really partial to redheads.....Winking)

Lilyun, it's nice to "see" you here........stick around....this group is pretty chatty.......

I have been somewhat under the weather since Sunday evening....I have some pretty major food intolerance/allergy issues, and know better than to eat raw Zucchini .....and apparently the zucchini I ate in the Indian food  DH brought home wasn't cooked enough.......the only thing worse than spicy Indian food going down is..........well, you get the picture......my skin around my eyes is STILL red from broken blood vessels....and I am still not feeling like myself.....Loopy

Nihahi. I agree with Sbe....time is your new best friend.......find a good book (re-read last book in Outlander series.....new book due out on June 10th) I was amazed at how much things changed over the six weeks after my surgery in December.   And when all else fails, remember that September isn't THAT far off.......Nerdy

Love you all......XO

• Zenful
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, sorry to hear you are feeling blue. Sometimes expectations can get the best of us. A few days of getting used to the "new you" will hopefully help you feel better.

I know what you mean about the snow. This has been one if the longest winters ever!  I thought I would scream when I woke up to snow earlier this week after 70 degrees the day before. 

Hang in there.  Big (((HUGS))). 

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

nihahi, I was very unhappy for a few weeks after my stage II fat grafting. I thought I looked much better before than after. Martyj was the one told me to give it time and be patient. As always, she was right.

lilyun, good to hear from you.

Feel better, movie. Love you!

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited April 2014

mimihon... I got that too, but just on the right side. It is very painful, and I went to the orthopedist for x-rays just to make sure it wasn't something cancer related. I have had 4 shots so far. Each one helps me for about 3-4 months. Now that I have had so many shots, I am a surgical candidate. The problem is finding 4-6 weeks of not using my right hand (two weeks not using it at all). My job requires me to use the computer, mouse etc., so not sure when to do it. The good news is, the doc said that I can indefinitely get shots and I am not making it any worse. I have had shots in both feet for plantar fascititis, my shoulder for inpingement, my finger for some quirky problem, and in all cases it helped permanently. So I just keep hoping that the next shot will be the ticket. But I have a lump on my wrist, so I am not overly hopeful.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2014

I had a long post and lost it. I hate that and don't feel like doing it again.

Nihahi- give it time!! I remember those days right after surgery and not being happy. You will do fine.

Jeannie- Great picture! How nice to have them so close. :)

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

well CRAP, movie.....literally!!! Sure hope you're feeling better. You have more than enough on your plate to deal with, without "dealing with your plate"!!!!

jeannie....GD and DD are gorgeous....how could they not be...you're the "source"! Hope things are moving forward a bit for mom and dad.

Yup...Agreeing with the advice of "give it time", and going with kat-ski's wonderful message and jeannie's wise words of comparison is the thief of joy. Hard not to compare the "new" with the original sitting right beside, but....my PS hasn't done me wrong yet, so I'm just going to focus on the future. Thanks everyone for the hugs and encouragement. I know I'll be happy with the final result, just got to get there. I'm been "reviewing" my reaction to things today, and I really think it's partly the shock of seeing "something" there again, after all these years, combined with normal post-op swelling, skin reaction, etc. I'm betting by the time I see my PS again....I'll be smiling. I just love the honesty on this thread, though. Sometimes the best "help" is to know you can just express your tears and fears and then move on. (((((X)))))

countdown is now 154 days, and I can't wait to spend time with everyone.

bdavis....I'm sorry, I don't remember the post you're referencing, but, it sounds like you're having pain/difficulties with something....hope you find the next "shot" does the trick.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Movie, I sure you are feeling better by now! 

Nihahi, you are right to remind us, especially ME, about comparisons.  Not sure I want to "share" my girls in Sept. for that reason. Still thinking about my feelings on the matter because it was so automatic to rush to the ladies room when I saw Liefie and movie. I know you will become more and more accustomed to your new girl's look, thrilled even!

Just put our girlies on the plane---Wahhh! Now we're working through emotions, gearing up to face DH's job hunt, etc. again. It was a nice respite.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited April 2014

Hey friends, we got our power back on Monday night, fortunately. 

Nihahi, healing hugs, and patience, Grasshopper.

Looking forward to much family time this weekend for Easter.

Love and Happy Easter to all!

B

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited April 2014

Love and happy easter to all. I'll be off the grid for a bit. Another surgery today. That's if anesthesia doesn't cancel due to my pneumonia. May not mention it since this expander HAS to come out today. Can't start treatment with it in and lost a week due to being in hospital with pneumonia.

Happy Easter!

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

((((((Fiercebluebird))))) hope all goes well. Happy Easter to you and to all in the flapper land.

• Zenful
    edited April 2014

Happy Easter, all!  FierceBird, hope all goes well today. 

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2014

nihani, bdavis was referring to this post I made a few days ago:  

I've just been diagnosed with de Quervain's tenosynovitis in both hands last week by my rheumatologist. I've been on Arimidex for 2 years. The doctor gave me a prednisone regimen & had me get thumb braces. She said if this doesn't work they'll try corticosteroid injections. I'm icing it,too. I have been miserable!

Thanks for your info, bdavis I guess injections are next for me because this is so painful 

My youngest daughter (& 2 youngest granddaughters) moved 5+ hours away last weekend, so I have been very blue. So stressed by this & the painful hands (now the pain is radiating to the top of my hand - ugh) that I have also developed  a half dollar sized bald spot on the back of my head. I've done this before. Now, I'll be calling the dermatologist to get injections for the temporary alopecia. I'll also call my PCP to get my Lexapro dosage increased. Positive thing, is I know this, too, shall pass. 

Prayers for all you going through procedures, especially FierceBluebird & Goldie.  I haven't been able to read all the posts, but hope everyone is doing well. Happy Easter & God bless.  Catch you all later wheni get things under control. 

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

Hi Sharon, one of my sisters just told me that she will have surgery on her right hand for Quervain's tenosynovitis on May 27. I will let you know how it goes. 

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

ahhh.....brain is catching up now....mimihon is sharon....got it! Thanks Morningsun-tammy.....you guys are killing my brain cells!

anyway...hope something gets resolved for you mimi....has your doc considered referring you to Physio and OT????....there are likely a lot of things you can learn about joint saving techniques. If nothing else, some adaptive aids might lessen the pain issue.

bailey....glad you got power back.....honestly, what a spring (not). We have freezing fog and snow today here. 

Hoping everyone has a happy easter with family.....easter is a good reminder to "reset" the priorities and mindset of life, eh!

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2014

MorningSun, please keep me informed on your sister's hand surgery. My name change has been so confusing, I think I will just change it back. Sharon1942 used to be some of my old  passwords, but I've got those changed by now   Sorry for the confusion. 

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

bosum....I've been wondering about you....you've gone rather quiet...Thanks for your support. How are YOU??

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

FierceBluebird, I hope you can safely get that expander out. You are on my mind and in my prayers so often. I am in your pocket through all these challenges you are facing. Hey, did your eye get better? Hugs to you.

Sharon, so sorry about your painful hands! Makes me think twice about AIs. A bc friend had surgery for her wrists after taking AIs and is better now, if that helps. I  know what you mean with your "blues" about your DD and GKs moving away. Our DD and GD live in San Diego and we're in Seattle so the distance really stinks. I just never thought our family would be so spread out and unable to get together much. FaceTime helps.

Happy Easter to everyone.