Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited April 2014

Nihani - you are so almost done!!!  Way to go.  

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited April 2014

It's nipday....and I'm barely able to keep a cup of coffee down. Biggest hurdle for me is going to be "awareness under local", and all I can do is pray this PS has the same intra operative personality as he does pre and post. So many bad nightmares from surgery/local with different PS. I popped an ativan last night, which let me sleep. And I'm going in begging for more this morning. Shortly after noon, Mountain time, I will have TWO nipples again, after 22 years and 5 months.....sure hope it turns out well, physically and emotionally. A friend is driving me in, as hubby is still non-weightbearing with his bunged up knee. Thanks for the support dear friends....this little minor tweak has me more stressed out than all the rest put together. (I never claimed to be sane!).....TOWANDA!!!!!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited April 2014

"Awareness under local..."  We will hope that Wilbur's presence is felt! 

It will be OVER before you know it, and you know we'll all be crowded into the procedure room with you.  We'll try to not bump the PS's elbow.

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, all the best for today! 

Blue, hope the bugs are being put in their place!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited April 2014

Oh Nihahi....I have been so derelict in checking in here.....Scared I totally spaced your "Nip Day"!   I hope all went well for you, and that you are home (or will be shortly) and resting comfortably.   I am sure the procedure was a complete success!  Love you!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited April 2014

Perky happy thought! 

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited April 2014

Hope all went as you planned today, Nihahi. Looking forward to hearing from you. 

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited April 2014

Nihahi...

(。 ㅅ 。)

With love--the girls.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited April 2014

Sbel, thanks for the laugh!

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

You are the best....going to take my 'FULL, COMPLETELY MATCHED SET" and go to bed.Nip 1 and Nip "new" have 22 years of catching up to do!

Haven't really looked at much, given the gauze "guards", but will report back tomorrow.

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2014

so glad you checked in! Sleep well, nihahi

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, hope you and your matched set have a good sleep! Yay for you! Love and hugs.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited April 2014

Nihahi - 

Good morning to you and your completely matched set!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited April 2014

Can't wait to hear your report. What a great feeling. 

Katy- Too funny!!!!

I woke up to snow this morning. WTH!! It is NOT pretty on April 15. 

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

Cherrie, that snow is all the way down to central Indiana!  Go away, snow!  Nihahi, so good to hear from you and your two nips.  Sbe, that was so cute.  I have to remember that.  Fierce, we're here thinking of you!  Bailey, hope your power is back.  That is such a bummer.  Have a good Tuesday ladies!  ...Julie

• Zenful
    edited April 2014

Sbe, that looks like me after Stage 1...the right nip was a little wonky and pointing outward.  Lol. 

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

Zenful, you said after Stage 1, did you have nipple sparing? I think sbe's thingy is perfect. Good Tuesday to you too, Julie. Did you send you snow our way, cherrie and Julie? Feel better (((FBB))). Love to all.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

My daughter in Ann Arbor isn't too happy about the snow, either. Off to see a waterfall with the fam.! I have a nasty shin splint so no hiking for me, darn. It's a short walk to the falls.

• Morningsun1
    edited April 2014

(。 ㅅ 。) 

Sharon, where are you? Have not "seen" you for a while.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited April 2014

sbel, thanks for the laugh!

Shin splints are awful!  Rest up Jeannie.

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2014

did I miss pictures!?

Nahahi... Anxious to hear how you're doing today

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited April 2014

Hello ladies,

I've been mia for a while since the nipple surgery 2 weeks ago. No excuse really, just busy living life. Still have sutures that were going to be removed tomorrow. Got a call from PS office earlier telling me that it was actually today - oops! Feel really bad messing up like that, but they rebooked it for next Tuesday. Had a watertight bandage on nipple for the first 6 days, then it came off in the shower. I was not instructed to wear a shield, but it is sewed on pretty tight - can see and feel it. So far so good. It is the best feeling ever to look in the mirror, and see that my girls are the same size and the same height again for the first time since the mastectomy. Just the tattoo remains to be done.

Have been reading about everybody's triumphs and struggles. Fiercebluebird, have been thinking about you all the time, and will keep you in my prayers. You have been through so much, and hopefully the tide will turn soon. Big hugs to you! I'm so happy Nihahi is alive again, Jeannie is still her old positive, sunny self, Sbe is still her old funny self, Janet had a lovely time in France, Mammalou is doing well, Tammy is now Morningsun - beautiful - , and Zenful, jbloom, Lahela, Ridley and Cherrie are all still here. 

Bosun, it is not true that all girls are close to their mothers. Fact is some children are close and others are not regardless of what sex they are. A better relationship with his dad is a positive thing for your boy. You will miss him, but he will be visiting a lot, I think. 

Kat-ski, big hugs to you. It is so hard to lose a kitty that has become like a child in your home. Lost my beautiful cat in 2008 when neighbour's dog killed her, and still miss her. 

September is coming, and we are going to have a blast - just five more months to go!

We're off to Edmonton on Thursday for Easter with the children. I miss little Emily so much, and can't wait to hold her again. She will be 7 weeks old tomorrow - time just flies.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2014

Liefie, so good to hear from you and that you are doing well. It is nice to have two nipples again! 

• Cherrie
    edited April 2014

Liefie- So happy to hear from you. Give that baby big hugs. I left mine at 5 weeks and he is 8 weeks today. Aren't they precious? 

Jeannie- Shin splints-I hate those. Ouch. Ice those shins. 

Fierce- thinking of you!

Julie- I bet you are tired of snow too! 

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

Hey Ladies...

cherrie....so good to hear from you! Hope things are well?

liefie...it's snowing here again..better pack the mittens for Edmonton.

I was told I could shower today, and let the water flow over the new nip. It looks good and pink, a little bleeding, but not much. I'm padding with gauze, and plan to switch to the cosmetic pads when the gauze runs out. The fat grafting site is bruising nicely, as is the lipo site. PS was quite surprised to discover how much feeling I actually have in the flap, which unfortunately meant a rather uncomfortable numbing for the the fat grating and nip recon. As odd as it looks at the moment, I am amazed at how "normal" it seems to have 2 nips again! Now if my thigh wasn't so tender.....I'd be dancing!

• Cherrie
    edited April 2014

Nihahi- You will be out walking in those mountains in no time at all. I am so happy all is working out for you. 

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited April 2014

Jeannie, we'll have to have another show and tell, right? LOL.

Cherrie, little Em is 7 weeks tomorrow. Just want to steal that little baby . . .

Nihahi, so happy you are happy with your new nipple - feels good, eh? Thanks for the heads up. My son told me on the phone earlier that it's snowing again. I'm sitting here watching TV, stunned by the mass murder of the 5 U of C students stabbed to death. So absolutely senseless and unnecessary, and the suspect a fellow student - unbelievable.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited April 2014

Nihahi - I'm so excited about the progress you've made in the last two days. I also love your 22 year road back to 'normal'!

I'm curious what it was like being under a local.  Was your PS as entertaining as you remember? 

• nihahi
    edited April 2014

liefie...pack a toque with those mittens.....supposed to snow ALL DAY here...don't know what Edmonton is getting.

Janet...I told the nurses in Minor Surgery to give me everything they could because I was over the top anxious about the whole "local" thing. They gave me two ativan which I popped under my tongue before they could blink. I told my PS I was nervous, and he looked stunned! We chatted for a minute or two, and I explained I wasn't nervous about the procedure, it was because of how I was treated like a lab specimen, not a person during a local procedure done by a different Doc. He said....."no worries, I know you're there". Might have been the combo of the ativan AND him and his nurses, but, I was calm the whole time, was checked on a number of times, had a few conversations, and felt calm and happy the whole time. Turns out, I will have one more "trip to the table, to either do a bit more fat grafting if needed, or to even out my thighs, as he only does one donor site at a time. His routine is to do very small amounts of fat grafting at one "go"....feels he gets better "take" with smaller amounts. I now realize that I actually remember very little of the procedure, the ride home, or that evening. I am fine with that scenario...I don't need any more "memories" of this whole fandango, I have enough to last me a lifetime. But I am confident now, that another procedure with him will be nothing to fret about. 

.I couldn't be happier with my PS or my long awaited nip. Nerdy

• Zenful
    edited April 2014

Nihahi, it may have been the Ativan,but I think it is very typical to feel calm once you get there and are in the hands of those skilled individuals. My experience has been that they are very good at knowing we are scared sh**less, and they have the skills to make us feel at ease. The hard part is really the time leading up to the surgery. That's why I love the saying " you just have to show up". It's so true.