Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 798
    edited September 2021

Exbrnxgrl, great news! What a relief. Love to hear the word benign.

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2021

Exbrnxgrl so happy for you.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited September 2021

WOOOOHOOOO 💃💃

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited September 2021

Benign - always good to hear.

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited September 2021

great news!

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited September 2021

Great news Exbrnxgrl!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250
    edited September 2021

Thank you all so much!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708
    edited September 2021

Congrats exbrnxgrl 🎉.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166
    edited September 2021

Great news, exbrnxgirl!

• sunnidays
    edited September 2021

I have seen fights to New York in February very very cheap, I know it's February so cold snowy, and slushy but on the other hand, it's New York cocktails in some rooftop bar overlooking the city listing to a trio playing some smooth Jazz. Hotel prices are good too. I know my husband would be nervous with covid though.

hope everyone is well.

• beth1965
    beth1965 Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2021

exbrngrl glad you got good news

I recently had odd thing happen with my thyroid they were looking in on something else with a scan and happened across what they told me was a 1.6 cm mass of some sort

So then they sent me ultrasound and phoned me and told me my 5 masses should be fine check again in a year

I was like are you sure that was my results lol they said yes thought it a bit odd it went from one big mass to 5 smaller masses on each side. But I guess I will just roll with it for now and hope everything is correct info

Glad yours went well

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067
    edited October 2021

exbrnxgrl: coming in late - as usual. Yay that the thyroid is benign. Everything "wrong" is always scary these days. Happy for you.

beth: fingers crossed for you

All you musical ladies. My DH plays a lot of different instruments. Every Sunday pre-pandemic he would get together with another friend at our home for ukulele playing (and beer) followed by dinner, wine, talking. Along came the pandemic. They tried playing together by Skpe but found it unsatisfying. Now we are all fully vaccinated and still have a small social bubble they are back together again. Years ago he bought a "D" strumstick on a whim but hardly touched it. I will cut a longer story short but somehow over dinner they decided I should take up the strumstick and play with them. It is a stringed instrument for the musically challenged. That would be me! Go Google Bob McNalley strumstick or other related sites. Talented people do wonders with it. Unlike a beginner on violin playing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" - the strumstick doesn't make dogs howl. I am enjoying it and am hoping for "passable" playing.

These are three of seven peg doll witches I made a few years back. Most of them were given away to friends. I kept the one in the centre.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,606
    edited October 2021

Elderberry, the peg doll witches are adorable.

The strumstick story is fascinating! I never heard of them, and now I am intrigued. I checked out the Bob McNallay site and will have to add strumstick to my list of instruments to buy and have fun with!!!!

I'm having fun with my line dance classes. In addition to the once-weekly daytime one, I'm going to a nightly class that meets for two hours once a week. It's one of the adult education courses offered at the vocational school and only lasts five weeks. I will truly miss it when it's over. The teacher is excellent, great instruction and she makes it fun. It's very relaxed but quite a workout. I haven't lost ten pounds but it feels like I should have after doing those dances for two hours, hahaha!

There are other adult classes I hope to try at the vocational school. They offer a sign language class. I have always found it to be a beautiful language and it's another thing I wish I'd begun to learn a long time ago. I hesitated taking it this fall due to coronavirus concerns, I want to see how that pans out, but hopefully I can sign up next time. The sign language experts are much in the news these days with so many state governors having an interpreter alongside them as they give routine updates on the pandemic. I crack up at some of the interpreters who can be quite dramatic in their presentation. It's as if they are vying for an Academy Award!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited October 2021

Elderberry, I wonder if Amazon or Google is getting a lot of searches on "Strumsticks" after your post. haha. I'm going to go see what they are.

Cheers,

Carol

• elderberry
    edited October 2021

to those interested in the Strumstick: Youtube has lots of great players. Lew Dite is my inspiration.

Divine: if you already play stringed instruments you will have a blast right away. It is tuned to Diatonic scale, D-A-D. If you like Mountain Music is is perfect. It is essentially a dulcimer

Sunshine: the ASL interpreter for Dr Bonnie Henry could take his stuff on the road. I end up watching him closely and only listening to Dr. Bonnie. Wild gestures and facial expressions. He should get the award

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2021

Elderberry, I have no experience with any instrument! But the strumstick looks like a good introduction to a string instrument.

• elderberry
    edited October 2021

Divine: It is easy. Three strings and just your index for the frets to start. The claim with the strumstick is there are "no wrong notes" It sounds pretty even if you are just going up and down the neck, plunking.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2021

Elderberry, on a similar note (no pun intended), playing any chords on the harmonica generally always has a good sound even when you’re not playing the right chords. The name “harmonica” means just that, it always lends itself to sounding harmonious.

I’m currently working on single notes which is apparently more challenging but I find it fun. This winter I’ll work on chords.

Here’s another bit of trivia: the harmonica is called by various names including harp, French harp and mouth organ. My favorite is “tin sandwich.”

• mryktn
    mryktn Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2021

Back 20 +- years ago I was (Triple Negative stage 3B bc). About 2 years ago diagnosed with multiple primary bc tumors . I don't feel good at all. Cat scan shows I may have have bc matastisis to lung.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2021

mryktn,

I am so sorry to hear that you might have lung mets. Breast cancer can be sneaky that way, even after many years. This thread is not the best place to address your concerns as we mostly chat about the “normal" stuff we do . Have you seen these threads?

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/780588?page=70#idx_2098

• sunnidays
    edited October 2021

To give everyone a giggle. The oncology day center is always full they have taken away some of the chairs in the waiting area for social distancing reasons.

There was an older lady standing up so I though I should offer her my seat then realised she is probably only a few years older than me and might be insulted if I offered her a seat, luckley when I was thinking this over a man stood up and offered her a seat.

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 555
    edited October 2021

It does not necessarily end indeed;

My diagnosis was widespread pulmonary and thoracic metastases 2 years ago and since then I have lived a normal life - working, bringing up my daughter (was not even 15 when diagnosed , almost 17 now - could fend for herself if I was to die now), partaking in sports , dating - started a new relationship a year ago, reading books , having usual trials and tribulations of any human being.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2021

sunnidays,

I can relate! I am having a hard time remembering that when I think of senior citizens, I’m one of them.

Anotherone,

It’s amazing isn’t it? I realize that not everyone is in the same position but despite mbc normal life goes on all around us and from the mundane to the magnificent it’s nice to be a part of it.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited October 2021

I thought I replied, but I don't see it. My apologies if it shows up twice.

Sunnidays, I get it. When I look at my chart and see "63 year old woman", I think, "63??? ME??? You must be talking about someone else!"

Exbrnxgrl, ain't it the truth? We go from thinking we need to go pick out our coffin to thinking "Hey, I'm still here. Guess I don't have an expiration date on my forehead after all."

BTW, I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I lived in the Bronx for a year when I was in 2nd grade. Went to PS 24. I still remember our address: 3001 Henry Hudson Parkway. Haha! I may not remember where I put my phone, but I still remember that old address. I even went onto Google Earth and looked for it. I found it and it looks just as I remember it.

Carol

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2021

Well, I must be old because I’m a grandma. That’s what my oldest grandchild told me! On another note and as part of the “normal” life. My youngest grandchild fell at pre-school today, did a face plant and got a gash on her forehead that will require stitches. Here she is waiting for the numbing to take effect while enjoying her lunch. What a little trooper 😘!

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited October 2021

So sweet! Hope she feels better soon.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited October 2021

Poor punkin. Give her lots of special grandma hugs.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2021

Ohmygosh Caryn, your granddaughter is totally adorable! She looks like she's barely missing a beat after taking a tumble that required a trip to get stitches!

Speaking of being an old grandma, I'm feeling it after this weekend. My grandkids were in and we took them around to Boo at the Zoo and a pumpkin farm filled with activities. I'm worn out in a good way after being steady on the go for a couple of days. It was fun spending time with them. Ages 12 and 10, they are growing up so fast.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2021

Can anyone offer advice? My son told me yesterday that he and his girlfriend, with whom he’s lived with for six years, are in the process of breaking up. I am so terribly sad over the news. Heartbroken, really. They have decided they want different things for their future, so they feel the best thing to do is part ways now. His girlfriend is such a wonderful person in so very many ways, and I am going to miss her being a part of our family. My son said the split is an amicable one where neither is angry at the other. I hope it stays that way. It’s unsettling news and it makes me feel sick to my stomach.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2021

divine,

Dealing with adult children as they navigate through life can be a bit of a tight rope act. I think that despite your sadness, you simply need to support your son. To their credit, they are breaking up on good terms so there should be no drama. It’s also good that they recognized that their lives were not going in the same direction now, rather than if they married or had children. Of course, since you liked her, you are feeling the loss but in the end, this was their decision.

I am not sure if I’ve posted about this before so forgive me if it’s a repeat. My older dd was engaged to someone we really liked. She broke the engagement because she had feelings for someone she knew at her part time job. They eventually married and eventually divorced. We never felt very comfortable with her husband, but as an adult, there was little we could do. The marriage did produce my lovely oldest grandchild, so something good came of it.

Fast forward 12 yearsand through mutual friends, former fiancée got in touch with my dd. In the intervening years he had had a few relationships but never married. I was sure, almost from the time he got in touch with her, that the relationship would be re-kindled. Sure enough, he moved back to CA and they just bought a house in Napa (I will be a very happy visitor!). He is still the wonderful person I remember from more than a decade ago and I’m sad to say that he’s a better father to my granddaughter than her real father is. Sad because her real father is and always has been a deeply troubled person. Now, I’m not saying there will be a miraculous reunion for your son but things happen for a reason. As parents to adults, all we can do is offer our love and support and trust that they will handle their life choices, good or bad, as best as they can. Being a parent to adults is sometimes just as challenging as being a parent to young children!