Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067
    edited October 2021

SF-cakes: I cannot believe my area dodged the Bomb. Yeah it rained. It blew. But it was really like normal weather later in the year. Phew. The upside was it blew most of the leaves off the trees just before the professionals came by to clean the gutters. I loved the rabbit statue. Is he playing a violin?

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 163
    edited October 2021

Baking is a great way of relaxing

Trowing this open to everyone if you had $15000 and wanted to do a months traveling what would you spend it on.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250
    edited October 2021

oh sunnidays, what a thought! I guess it depends on where you’ve already been. I have been both a Peace Corps volunteer and a Pan Am flight attendant so have traveled a lot but there are still many places I’d love to go. #1 for me is to travel to Norway to see the Northern Lights. How about you

• sunnidays
    edited October 2021

I was always going to do some big trip someday but the thing about MBC is that someday may never come so do it now, my husband is more or less retiring in November so we are making plans.

I am currently looking at one of those train trips across Canada they have viewing platforms but there are millions of choices.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited October 2021

I did the cross Canada railway years ago - east to west, Montreal to Vancouver. It was awesome & something I'm considering repeating but I want covid to drop first.

Only thing I keep hearing about the Canada rail is to make sure to pick a train which will be going thru the Rockies in daytime. Not sure if they have the same schedule now but a few yrs ago heard that some went through it at night & disappointed passengers.

I like train travel. We took a sleeper from Paris to Venice a few years ago - just a regular train, not the Orient. I follow my BS on Instagram & he's in Venice on the Orient Express ...

• elderberry
    edited October 2021

moth: I heard the same story about the Rockies part being at night. Disappointing is an understatement. I like train travel. Pre-Covid I would nip down tp Seattle a few times a year. The Cascadia Amtrak run always seems to have problems not of their own making. Rock slides etc. The first time I took the train to Seattle some poor young thing decided to throw herself in front of the train. The sound of the braking and the lurching was rather frightening. They didn't hit her but the trip was delayed as they got her off the tracks, into the first station coming up, made sure she was delivered into the hands of "responders"

My friend coming up once was delayed because a bank robber who had decided to get naked was dangling over the tracks from a tree that needed pruning. You can't make stuff like that up.

But it is better than diving, Customs is done before you board, you can get up and walk around. It is better than a bus because you can have food, and maybe some wine or beer. The run down the coast is visually gorgeous before it gets dark too early. Eagles. Blue Herons. Boats. The Islands off in the distance. The crowds along the shore at White Rock waving as you wave back.

My sister and I did a two-week Brit Rail trip waaaay back. We started in Scotland and worked a our way down, across etc. stopping various towns for a day or overnight. It was fantastic.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited October 2021

My DH was a train/rail nut. When we got married in 1968, we took the L&N Hummingbird from Cincinnati to New Orleans. Back then, passenger trains had names. Dining car, linen on the table. Excellent food.

When I was a kid, my parents and I went by train from Cincinnati to Washington state. Don’t remember much about it, seeing tumble weed blowing around. The Canadian Rockies from a Vista Dome car.

Amtrak just doesn’t compare

• elderberry
    edited October 2021

Not saying Amtrak is good - it is plagued with problems and needs improvements. But it is still a train that chugs along and the Cascadia run has great scenery. We will ignore the derailments, the running into stations and all the other Amtrak stories. Bullet trains running down the west coast would great.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2021

Happy trails to all! I haven't traveled by train in decades but when I was a Peace Corps volunteer I traveled by train in Pakistan, India, and Sri Lanka. I'd love to give train travel a try again.

I attended my very first event for retirees today. My former union local, UDEA which stands for Union District Educators Association hosted a luncheon Their retiree group is called UDEAR with the R standing for retirees. It was good to see many of my former colleagues. I even saw the teacher whose class I took over 20 years ago! I am still wrestling with the word retiree. It sounds so elderly to me, yet I am indeed a retiree 😂.

• elderberry
    edited October 2021

exbrnxgrl: I was quite happy to become a retiree. I wish I could have done it at age 30. I liked my job, I liked my colleagues but I like not going to work even more. My job was never my identity so the transition was fine. I think I am too squeamish for India but I know people love it - the colours, the smells....I would love to go to Japan. I hope we can all travel safely soon.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2021

Japan is lovely. I have been to Osaka and Tokyo. Osaka was my in flight practice when I was a trainee. I was trained in Honolulu and that’s where my training flight originated. I’m 98.9% sure that my job was a major part of my identity. Teaching has been a calling for me so it figures that my retiree group iscomposed of retired teachers from my district 😂. I am going to start subbing in December but I can afford to be picky about what jobs I take since all school districts in my county are desperate for subs. In addition to wanting to teach, I figure the extra money won’t hurt for as long as I’m able and want to.

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2021

image alt="" style="width: 182px; height: 242.482px;">

• cure-ious
    edited October 2021

• elderberry
    edited October 2021

exbrnxgrl: I hope you get to sub. My only "calling" was going to be a penniless artist living in a hovel somewhere. Being a civil servant and painting, writing in my spare time filled the bill. It has been a contented life.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708
    edited October 2021

5 years ago today I found the lump that changed everything. I kinda knew it was cancer but spent the weekend trying to convince myself that it probably wasn’t. I was only 41, overweight but healthy and had a clear mammogram (my 1st) just 18 months earlier. I never guessed stage IV though, and once diagnosed, never imagined I’d still be here now. But I am and I’m doing well, relaxed, happy and looking forward.

Thinking of all of you who still find the good things in life and are living it.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited October 2021

Cure-ious, I'm so happy for you! I hope you know what a rare and amazing thing it is to be on the north shore of Kaua'i. In recent years it has been completely overrun with tourists, and then much of it was closed to visitors after the floods. I was there many years ago and it was absolutely magical. Little did I know what would happen to it. Hanalei, Tunnels, Anini. Did you get to Ke’e at the very end of the road?

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited October 2021

That's great to hear that you are doing well and enjoying life, Illimae! Five years. Rock on.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 609
    edited November 2021

Great photo, Cure-ious!! ❤

• cure-ious
    edited November 2021

Shetland, we stayed in North Shore, I've been to Kauai three times and we were stuck there for Hurricane Iniki in 1992- we got out on the first plane to land, even the airport was still closed, the pilots took whoever wanted to board- a whole bunch of us just lined up and they took us out of there (it had been three days since it hit, and my son was only 16 mos) and the group next to us in line for the plane was the backup film crew for Jurrassic Park, they had been out in the storm and said they got some great footage...

Poipu was way crowded and really too hot, even in late October- we were on Anini Beach which is near Princeville in the north, and not only perfect beach weather (whereas its normally drizzly and cooler, but almost no people)- you can't go to the very end of the road up there anymore! they have it blocked off with a guard gate- could be for residents only? or maybe its the govt preserving the land? anyway you drive up there but then just have to turn around..

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November 2021

Cure-ious, what a great picture of you!

Illiemae-Congrats on making it five years. Hope you have many more happy, healthy ones to come.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358
    edited November 2021

congrats Illimae on 5 years!! You give me so much hope and I love your zest for life!

Cure-ious Hawaii sounds amazing!

We are not going to make my Navajo hike in Bisti happen this time so I'll have to leave it on the list. Just doesn't work with the route and holiday schedule. However there will be plenty to see including Tucson, Sedona (they have vortexes, ooooo) Bryce, Page, AZ, Monument Valley, then have to figure out how to get back… maybe will hit Canyon De Chelly, ABQ, Fort Davis not sure yet. Will be missing my fur babies by then

• cure-ious
    edited November 2021

KikoMoon, Anywhere sunny and hot, that extends summer and kicks cancer & Covid to the curb, is as good as it gets!!!

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited November 2021

Illimae- Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary! So good to see you living every day to the max

• illimae
    edited November 2021

Thanks everyone!

Hawaii sounds wonderful but not likely anytime soon for me. I will be spending thanksgiving at my mountain cabin though, so not bad at all.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 798
    edited November 2021

Illimae - congrats on 5 years! That is awesome! Cure-ious, Hawaii looks amazing! I have a trip planned for January (Maui). Illimae, a mountain cabin sounds fun, too!

• sunnidays
    edited November 2021

My youngest daughter got engaged yesterday so happy for her my heart is full of love for them. I am so grateful I got to see them grow up.

• Janice54
    Janice54 Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2021

I just hit the 15 year mark. I am living and loving life. Feeling great, watching my grandchildren grow. 9,9, 7,6 and 1.

• illimae
    edited November 2021

Wow Janice, congrats 🎉

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited November 2021

Fifteen years! Yay, you!

Tina

• exbrnxgrl
    edited November 2021

illimae,

Congratulations on your milestone!

Janice54,

Wow is about all I can say! Please stop by more often as I think long term stage IV members give hope to many, especially those newly dx’ed with mbc. It’s also my casual observation that there are more of us now then when I first joined in 2011. I sincerely hope our numbers grow and then, eventually, a cure! Take care