Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 163
    edited November 2021

Pumpkin is so cute she will be a great companion. My youngest daughter loves dogs and when she was going through a difficult time as a teen, she use to say the thing about a dog is you can tell them all your troubles and they won't tell anyone.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250
    edited November 2021

Pumpkin continues to be the perfect dog for me! She’s a wonderful combination of frisky, fun, active but still mellow. As a one year old, she’s lost most of the puppy hyperactivity but is still energetic. Given all the changes in her life over the last six weeks, she has been remarkably easy. She is definitely the smallest dog I’ve ever had. Extra small collars and harnesses are tiny! Even her food/water bowls are tiny.

Sunnidays,

My younger dd, pictured above with Pumpkin, would agree with your dd, 100%. She had some rough teen years and is now a social worker with our county.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067
    edited November 2021

exbrnxgrl: That pic of your DD and Pumpkin ----- just made me smile so much. I so want to rub that puppy's little belly. Maybe get my face licked.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358
    edited November 2021

Managed to hike 3.3 miles today in Sedona, AZ. Beautiful scenery, but everyone knows it and they are also here :)

Pumpkin is a cutie. I do miss my cats!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited November 2021

Thanks kikomoon! She has been remarkably good too except for grabbing a freshly wound cake of yarn 🧶 and making a big tangled mess of it. Of course it was a very fine sock yarn so untangling will be quite a project.

I’ve been meaning to ask about your user name. Does it have anything to do with the Los Lobos song, Kiko and the Lavender Moon?

• Kikomoon
    edited November 2021

exbrnxgrl, YES it is from the los lobos song which I love, that whole album actually. We even heard it on the radio the other dayon our drive from El Paso to Tucson. One of my cats is Kiko as well :)

• exbrnxgrl
    edited November 2021

kikomoon,

I lived in Houston for almost nine years starting in the early 1980's. That's where I first heard of Los Lobos. As my user name suggests, I'm an ex-Bronx girl. Los Lobos was unheard of on the east coast back then. I am a big fan!

PS: My sweet Pumpkin is a rescue from Uvalde, Tx

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited November 2021

Tucson! That's where I grew up. Wonderful memories!

• Kikomoon
    edited November 2021

Cowgal, we really liked Tucson. Really good food and a laid back vibe, our kinda town.

• sunnidays
    edited November 2021

I was just wondering does anyone else feel like this, my daughter who got engaged told me they are getting married in 2023, and afterward, I got upset thinking will I be here for her wedding but on the other hand I don't want her to get married sooner just because of me.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,606
    edited November 2021

sunnidays, first, congratulations to your daughter on her engagement and upcoming wedding! It is a wonderful event for you to look forward to and I know you will soak in all the memorable moments getting ready for the big day.

Yes, I’ve had similar feelings about similar things. My son has lived with his girlfriend for over five years and tho I’ve never once said it to anyone including dh, I’d have loved for them to marry and have kids by now, not even necessarily in that order, haha! And now they are amicably parting ways, so all that’s off the table. But it’s his life and I do not want him rushing through it to accommodate me, of course.

From your signature line, it appears you are still very new to your diagnosis. Were you stage iv with mets to the bones right off the bat earlier this year? What kind of treatment are you on? I feel hopeful that you will be around to enjoy seeing your daughter walk down the aisle to be married. There is a good chance with the mets to bone diagnosis for some longevity of life ahead of you. I well remember traveling to Georgia with my sisters in 2013 to help my niece select her wedding gown and wondering if I’d be here for her wedding in 2014, which I was. I was diagnosed the year ds went off to college and didn’t know if I’d see his graduation but I was. Now after ten+ years living with mbc, I’m wondering if I’ll see dh’s retirement in 2023 and be around at least a few years to enjoy it with him. Time will tell! Wishing you all the best!

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2021

I had the nicest interaction with a store employee yesterday. I got a spur of the moment idea to buy some brie cheese and pepper jelly to make an appetizer for Thanksgiving. I've never served it before but know that ds likes it. So I popped into Krogers, walked up to a woman working in their large cheese section and asked “Where would I find the brie?" She picked up something in front of her and handed me a packaged container that said “Pumpkin Spice Brie." She said, “If you're looking for an appetizer, we've been making and selling these. They're very good."

First off, I said, “Wait, I walk up to you to ask about brie and you're standing right in front of it?" We both had a good laugh about that. We got to discussing the brie and she offered me a sample of the pumpkin spice which she had warm in a crock pot! She spread some on half a pecan shortbread cookie and oh my, it was heavenly! I made sure to add a pack of cookies to my cart along with the brie. Before I left, I asked how to bake it and she had instruction duplicates printed on paper; she cut one out and taped to the container. Super helpful.

After I walked away, I decided to go back and buy the same thing for my sister who's having her own Thanksgiving dinner. I then asked about the vanilla shortbread cookies I saw and the woman had me try the brie on one of those which was just as delicious so I put a pack of them in my cart, too. We talked a bit more and she told me about a cheesecake dip that goes good with the cookies. I said, “I'll be back for Christmas!"

It's not often I encounter a friendly employee who's pleasant, knowledgeable and acts like they have all the time in the world to help you. So it made my day. And I'm pretty sure ds is gonna be happily surprised!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited November 2021

Divine, what a lovely story. Thank you for sharing it. I'm sure you made her day just as much as she made yours!

• Kikomoon
    edited November 2021

Divine, isn’t it nice when people are helpful and nice? That Brie sound just lovely, I wonder if I can find some.

Two nights ago we had the nicest manager at a restaurant make us so comfortable setting up a spot outside to dine. Last night we had the nicest staff at a motel, let me use the staff microwave while chatting, and found us a room with a refrigerator.

Meanwhile tonight’s hotel check in made me feel like they are paying me to stay here :/ I asked for my breakfast vouchers and the young man told me I don’t get breakfast. I assured him that I paid extra and showed him the email. “Oh but that’s through Hotels.com”. I don’t care who it’s through. I paid for it. Then he told me (twice) he’d “cut me some slack” this time, like I made a mistake? Honey please. I told him oh no no, NO slack has been cut here 🤣 as I paid for it, now gimme. So silly, but just no. Really irked me.

• Kikomoon
    edited November 2021

I always throw myself into a couple of projects this time of year. This year I am working on a cookbook of all the standard things my mom cooks, and adding in some recipes of my aunts, uncles, late grandmothers and stepdad, and nephews’ wives, three of my own. I will print and bind them and give them to my mom, nieces and nephews for Christmas. Most do not cook much, but maybe they will when they are a little older.

Also making an advent calendar for my niece on my husband’s side. This year i am attempting to make necklaces with various interesting stones and crystals. Had fun picking out the 25 stones today and ordered some wire, etc for curbside pickup. Anyone else have holiday projects?

• el_tigre
    el_tigre Member Posts: 453
    edited November 2021

Hi Everyone

I am new to this thread and I wanted to say Hi.

I will begin Kisqali/anastrozole next week after I have my ovaries/tubes removed. I am looking forward to reading this thread in my recovery and gaining a new perspective :).

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend,

Tigre

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2021

welcome, tigre!!!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited November 2021

Kikomoon, I love your cookbook and advent calendar necklace projects. Creativity and beauty feed the soul.

• Kikomoon
    edited December 2021

thank you Shetland! Hope you are doing ok.

I finished the 25 necklaces and packaged them up for the mail today. they did not take as long as I thought although they are not perfect, and that’s ok.

For the cookbook I have typed up all the dessert recipes so far. This was the project I thought would go fast, but not so. All recipes are handwritten or printed out. New Ingredients suddenly appear within the recipe’s directions. Some don’t say how long or what temp or what size package to use 🤣 Will have to ask a lot of questions.

• divinemrsm
    edited December 2021

Kikomoon, I admire your creative ambition. Doing projects like yours, especially at busy holiday time would only cause anxiety for me. The necklaces sound very cool and the recipe book is a wonderful and loving keepsake to give to your family members.

I made up some goody bags I will give to my siblings and their spouses for Christmas. Yes, the same damn siblings that cause me grief, lol! I've only gathered with them once this year for a few hours in July. Well, last year I did not see them Christmas Eve or Day due to pandemic so I will attend their get-togethers this year. I actually had fun getting them stuff, each one gets a winter puzzle, some Moose Munch (carmel popcorn), and a bag of mints. A few other items and a pair of scissors which sounds weird but I recently realized what shitty scissors I had in my house and bought new ones and like them so well, I bought them for the sibs, too. I'm putting the stuff in fabric grocery bags I bought on Amazon, they're reusable so part of the gift.

I had fun shopping for my grandkids. Ds and dh are harder to buy for but I picked up a few things.

I got new brakes and rotors for my Hyundai today. Total cost $500! Merry Grimace to me!!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited December 2021

Kikomoon, not perfect is better. I see the challenge with the recipes. Maybe you can do a dessert cookbook to start, then other categories later.

Divine, why are men so hard to buy for? In our family we can't even get them to say what they would like.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2021

Kikomoon, I too like projects. Making bead necklaces & bookmarks for grandnieces this year. A few years ago I made cookbooks for nieces with family recipes. I purchased MasterCook (for computer, not online version). I didn't want their recipes, but continue to update recipes for myself with it. It provides a template for input and printing options. I've done both 8"x5" books & 4"x6" cards using their formats & categories. Also nice when a friend wants my recipe and I can just print it out.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited December 2021

Divine, I love Moose Munch. One year my DH gave it out at his work. I bought a whole pallet of it at Costco. A guy parked next to me asked why I had so much Moose Munch. I told him it was a new diet I was on. I think he was buying a bunch of Jim Beam, or something like that. We both got a laugh out of each other's purchases.

• divinemrsm
    edited December 2021

What a great story, Sunshine! Love your quick-witted diet reply!! Haha!

• Kikomoon
    edited December 2021

Divine,

I love your goody bags that have consumable and useful things! I had to tell the in-laws, seriously, no “stuff" this year. We are trying to clean out and live with less. Only consumables, gift cards, or things we ask for please. It was tough but we finally got through l, I think. I would definitely love a pair of tried and true scissors though. I just can't take anymore tchotchkes ( had to look up the spelling on that one!) and Knick knacks to goodwill. And I really don't WANT anything cancer related this year for Christmas, even though it is well intended.

Nopink- your projects sound fun too. I looked up masterchef and it looks pretty cool. You can actually search recipes and print them on there without paying anything!

Shetland- in my experience men just buy whatever they are wanting. Although we had to put a stop to that with DHs expensive hobbies.

Sunshine- too funny!

• lauri
    lauri Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2021

Kikomoon, I fully understand your desire to cut back on "stuff" -- a few months ago (way before testing and diagnosis) I looked at my overflowing closets and said to myself "I have enough clothes for the rest of my life!"

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2021

Lauri - I did the same thing with my closet. Then started tx in 2019, lost 10 lbs. Then switched tx in 2021 and lost another 10. After >year of fluvestrant (boobs went from C to A cup) & weight loss even my underwear & bras were too big to keep on. I was able to put elastic in the waist of some pants and some leggings now fit like slim jeans (just in time to keep up with fashion!). Purchased a limited number of new things I like and feel good in. Local thrift store benefited. No more looking at clothes I wore years ago and don't like & won't wear. It's the only closet in my house that is so cleaned out. I keep wondering why I didn't do all that sorting during lockdown instead of binge watching Grace & Frankie and Schitt's Creek.Loopy

• Kikomoon
    edited December 2021

I lost 10 lbs during the beginning of COVID because I was terrified of catching it, so stopped drinking and upped the exercise. Then the cancer hit and I lost 10 because of stress (I’m a happy eater, not a stress eater) then another 10 pounds after brain radiation when I didn’t want to eat anything, so now I’m where I always wanted to be weight-wise, sucks that this is the way it happened though.

I saved a few things in case I put the weight back on. So now I just have just afew things to wear and I threw out ALL my high heels. I just said pfffttttt who needs these now and donated them. THAT felt SO amazing.

• sunnidays
    edited December 2021

https://www.galleri.com/

This came up in my newsfeed. It will be great for monitoring recurrence or progression less imaging so much quicker and cheaper.

An interesting point.

The test can detect cancer at a cellular level so long before it can be seen on imaging. The tumor has to be a few mm to be seen on imaging.

With the test, an individual could know they have cancer up to 10 years before it showed up on imagining and can be treated, so years of knowing you will get cancer someday but not able to do anything about it.

Would you want to know years beforehand that you will get cancer?

I am not sure I would.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558
    edited December 2021

Just making sure you know that in addition to our Monday meetups, we now have a 2nd Virtual Meetup TODAY (and now every Wednesday) at 4pm, ET for people with MBC

To register, go HERE.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Hope to see you there. Medicating