Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited January 2016

LOL! That's for sure! I deal with the nurses office when they come in vomiting. I also get ADULT coworkers who come up with some horrendous cold and use my phone.......Yuck. I've tried to discourage that practice but can tell when I return from lunch that someone has been there.

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited January 2016

Caryn, my sympathies. It is no fun teaching when you aren't 100% I hope you are better inthe morning. (and it is SO 1st grade to wash hands and then immediately wipe nose.)

Artistatheart, I'm always amazed at our front office staff. They work with constant interruptions and demands

• artistatheart
    edited January 2016

Yes! Every 3 minutes, all while I am trying to balance financial reports or deal with Purchase Orders. But it is fast paced and the day flies thats for sure! Luckily I also have a very supportive and grateful staff!

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited January 2016

This is Delilah Raven who was born yesterday at 3:05 a.m. She was a tiny thing (5 lbs 7 oz) but quite healthy. My adopted daughter invited me to be in the delivery room, citing the fact that I never was able to have that experience on my own. This was unexpected because my daughter and I have always had a tenuous relationship. This was not on my bucket list. BUT this was the most amazing experience of my life. Yes, there is LIFE after a stage IV diagnosis!!

imageimage"

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited January 2016

GatorGirl, what exciting news. It must have been a very emotional experience to see your grandchild enter the world. I would have been beaming while the tears rolled down my cheeks. Your precious granddaughter is beautiful. The picture of you two together has given me a smile that will last all day. Congratulations.

Not only is there life after stage IV diagnosis, that life can include many happy times. Thank you for sharing.

Lynne

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited January 2016

Congratulations GatorGal.....she is prescious!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited January 2016

gatorgal,

Congratulations to you, your daughter and all the family! How very exciting that you got to be in the delivery room. Perhaps little Delilah will be the conduitfor better relations between you and your daughter. She is a lovely little thing. Enjoy every minute with her.

Caryn

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited January 2016

Gatorgal she is so adorable what a wonderful thing. Thanks for sharing with us brought a big smile to my face as well.😊

• Teakie88
    Teakie88 Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2016

GatorGal: What an absolutely precious baby girl! She may be the glue that helps bond a new and far-reaching relationship between you and your daughter. If that isn't something to live for, I don't know what is! Congrats to you and your daughter! Ann

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2016

Gatorgal-what a little cutie pie. I hope you and your daughter have fun taking care of her. Comgratulations! Babies!!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited January 2016

GG, what a GORGEOUS photo of you & your new grandchild. How wonderful for you to be present at the birth!!!

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited January 2016

Congratulations, GatorGal! Beautiful, happy photos! And I love that your daughter wanted you to be there! That's wonderful!

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2016

GatorGal, congratulations on the birth of Delilah, and for having the amazing opportunity to welcome her into this world firsthand!

It was a beautiful and insightful gesture on behalf of your daughter to invite you to participate in this most intimate and precious of events. And as others have said, perhaps your granddaughter will bring you ever closer to your daughter.

Best wishes to you and your family!

• 3-16-2011
    3-16-2011 Member Posts: 279
    edited January 2016

GatorGal Beautiful pictures thank you for sharing. You look so happy.

Mary

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2016

Gatorgal, I am so happy for you. Wonderful. Such a beautiful picture. Worth living for

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited January 2016

Gatorgirl,

She is beautiful!

Enjoy

Nel

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited January 2016

Congratulations! What a beautiful baby!

• GatorGal
    edited January 2016

thank you all for your wonderful comments. I do believe Delilah will bring Lena and I closer. I can see it already! Lena is wanting to share everything with me and I'm loving it. They went home from the hospital and I took dinner over. Delilah was sleeping peacefully in her bassinet so I didn't get to hold her but took just a few more pictures! Her husband will be home for two weeks so I imagine once he goes back to work she'll be calling a lot more. Even though she is 33 she's very nervous. I told her she will catch on quickly and be a pro in no time! Seeing a grandchild born wasn't on my bucket list but it was absolutely the most awesome experience of my lifetime! I think I'm in love! 🍼🍼🍼

• artistatheart
    edited January 2016

Ohhhh, you lucky lucky woman! She is precious and a very great picture indeed! Super congrats to all!

• ellamilana
    ellamilana Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2016

here is an interesting link from today's NY1,

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/health-and-med...

I am a reader, not much of a poster, and do not miss any of your posts. Pray for every sad and happy for every good news I see and wish we all see the day when Obama wins the war on cancer Nerdy

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited January 2016

Ella that's very interesting I agree let's hope we win this war..

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2016

Gatorgal,

I could really feel the happiness in your post. My older dd found out she was pregnant about 3 days after my dx (and several weeks before we found out about the bone met). It really sustained me during the early months and my granddaughter has been a life affirming, loving and precious part of my life ever since. Younger dd is due toward the end of April and is having a boy. I can't wait to hold a newborn again and, yes, I'm planning on being in the delivery room

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited January 2016

Gatorgal - Hearty congratulations! What a beautiful baby (and you don't look so bad yourself!) May she bring you joy and laughter for many many years to come!

• GatorGal
    edited January 2016

Oh, are we expecting a big storm here in the northeast. I'm as ready as I can be as long as the power doesn't go out! Baby Delilah had her first pediatrician visit today and is doing very well. My daughter has amazed me with her maternal instinct. She loves her baby so much and has been a fast learner. She thought she wouldn't be able to handle messy diapers and they don't bother her in the least! I remember the day I brought our first adopted son home from the hospital. I always felt that was the best day of my life. I've had so many since then, and watching Delilah enter this world is way up there! Caryn, were you able to see your lovely granddaughter's birth? So lucky to have a grandson to look forward to. Bestbird, my daughter is calling everyday and I do believe we're on the road to a much better relationship. Unfortunately I can't spend much time at their house. I am allergic to cats and they have 4. My throat starts to close up in about 30 minutes even if I take Claritin. I hope they come and visit me a lot. We are only 20 minutes away. Life is good, though chemo sucks

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2016

GatorGal,

Yes, I've been hearing about the storm. Stay safe and warm. Cats!!! Oh no, even the word provokes an allergic reaction in me. I have nothing against cats, but my allergies are off the charts when it comes to them I am so pleased to hear that little Delilah has paved the way to better relations with dd. Babies really are a blessing.

No, I wasn't in the delivery when my granddaughter was born, since my daughter had a c-section. I was the third one to hold her, however 😍. I hope to see baby Miles' birth, butin the end, healthy is all I want.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited January 2016

I had the privilege of seeing my first grandchild born. It is an experience I will never forget. He is now fourteen years old and six inches taller than I am. It is hard to think of him as that newborn baby. His parents divorced almost 10 years ago, but my DH and I are still involved in his life. Although our son and former dil grew apart, they both continue to include us in our grandson's life. I give my former dil credit for allowing us to stay close. I think my grandson is happy to see both sets of grandparents remain friends. All four of us are here to support him.

Lynne

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2016

I hope I live long enough to have a grand baby and hold one in my arms. None on the Horizon as of now

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited January 2016

Oh dear Gator Gma!!!  Congrats on your beautiful Grandaughter, Delilah!  She is so precious & I love that she's looking into your beautiful, joyful eyes!!!  So happy you had the birthing experience!!  I witnessed our 2 grandsons' births (youngest DD), DH & I both witnessed our youngest grandaughter's birth (oldest DD), and witnessed a very long labor with our oldest grandaughter's birth (DS), until they decided a c-section was the only way to get the chubby baby outta her tiny mama!  I can feel your love at being able to impart your love & wisdom in nurturing this baby.  Such a blessing.  

Caryn, so happy your DD's tests came back with good news.  Now...on to growing that healthy baby!  

• artistatheart
    edited January 2016

My sentiments exactly beatmon.....none on the horizon yet but hope springs eternal!

• chelleg
    chelleg Member Posts: 396
    edited January 2016

Gator, congratulations are in order all around! Beautiful granddaughter! Life is still so wonderful.