Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited November 2015

Thanks everyone. Baby Miles is due at the end of April. At dinner this evening, we were all excited thinking about how he'd be with us atThanksgiving dinner next year.

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited November 2015

Congrats Caryn!

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited November 2015

ThumbsUp

Yeah Caryn - wonderful news

• exbrnxgrl
    edited November 2015

Thank you all for the good wishes! We have, in just a few short days, bought a vast baby wardrobe for Miles. His other grandparents , this will be their first grandchild, have already bought the baby furniture. My granddaughter is very excited to be having a cousin. I would have been happy about either gender, healthy is all that matters, but I'm looking forward to learning about little boys.

• LindaE54
    LindaE54 Member Posts: 1,379
    edited November 2015

Congrats Karen. Sounds like that little guy will have everything he needs!

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2015

One of each is perfect! Little boys are definitely a whole new world!

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited November 2015

Congratulations on news of the new grandson, Caryn! Very exciting indeed.

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited November 2015

congrats, Caryn. Wonderful news!!

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited December 2015

Woohoo Caryn!  You'll have great fun experiencing the blue side :-).  We have 2 of each & there's never a dull moment.  Seven year old GS has said there's only one girl he loves...that would be 8 year old (in Jan)  GD, his cousin :-).  Can't wait for little Miles & baby stories!!!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2015

Thank you all again for sharing your good wishes on my exciting news.

LindaE54,

Your post gave me a quick giggle. I know it sounds strange but when I see "Karen", I think it's someone else. So, when I read your post, I thought. "Oh, someone named Karen is expecting a new child in their family" I don't claim to be too swift these days, so it took me a minute or so to realize it was me! Thank my mother for that creative name spelling

• LindaE54
    LindaE54 Member Posts: 1,379
    edited December 2015

Oh Boy, not too swift myself!

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited December 2015

LOL@Karen/Caryn. Too funny. I had kind of the opposite thing happen. I have connected with my biological father's family to an extent. And I see this name...and it's my name. But it's not me. It's the wife of a cousin - she has the same first name as me and her married name is my maiden name. It was kind of an out of body experience for a minute. But then I figured out which one was me...she's not blonde. :)

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2015

For an interesting bit of name trivia, Whoopi Goldberg's real name is Caryn Johnson. My father's last name was Goldberg 😄

• KiwiCatMom
    edited December 2015

That's awesome, Caryn!

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited December 2015

Caryn, how wonderful to have grandchildren to celebrate. Enjoy!

Tina

• 3-16-2011
    3-16-2011 Member Posts: 279
    edited December 2015

caryn

So excited for you. Babies are such a joy. It amazed me how ultrasounds let me bond with my children before their births.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited December 2015

The holiday season has arrived. Happy Hanukkah to all who observe the holiday. Warm wishes for good health and happiness to all.

I was discussing the holidays with my DH yesterday, and I reminded him that when I was diagnosed with mbc last June, I thought I wouldn't live to celebrate Christmas or welcome in the new year. I was so uninformed about stage iv bc! Since that time, I have done a considerable amount of research, asked many, many questions, and learned so much from my doctors and this site that my feelings now are quite different from just six months ago. I know that I have a future. I am well aware of the fact that I will not live forever, but guess what. I wouldn't have lived forever without mbc either! I live each day knowing now that life is a precious gift.

Thank you all for helping me and others through the rough times. Enjoy the holiday season.

Lynne

• artistatheart
    edited December 2015

Thank you 50's girl, that is really uplifting! It is so important to feel hope and optimism. You enjoy your Holiday's as well. Happy Hanukkah, Kwanza and Christmas and whatever else you might celebrate to all! I am off to see The Nutcracker!

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited December 2015

Lynne, yes very well said and I couldn't agree with you more!

Hoping everyone is able to enjoy the holiday season, and celebrate a better year to come in 2016!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2015

Hanukkah is over! I hosted one dinner on the first night and attended two more on the last two nights. I love potato latkes, don't get me wrong, but I don't eat fried foods often so my stomach is rebelling. In addition to latkes, tonight's dinner also had mini- sufganyiot (fried jelly donuts, popular in Israel) . Still, I am grateful to be able to take part in it all. Next weekend, I have the wedding of my son in law's sister. I will the new thoroughly enjoy my winter break. My best dishes to all of you as you celebrate Christmas. May you fill the season with love, family, laughter and joy

• babyduck
    babyduck Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2015

ok ladies.....first post for me in this thread... Obviously I am stage iv..... this week I had my Herceptin and Perjeta.... I have tried to do no meds for side effects.... have been taking something for pain and anxiety... any of you do maintenance meds or did you when in treatment.... I haven't slept much in three days.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited December 2015

babyduck,

So sorry that you have been having trouble sleeping. Lack of sleep can make everything worse. Although you are very welcome to post on this thread, I think you might find more support and answers on threads that deal specifically with Herceptin and Perjeta. This thread is geared more toward everyday life and how it goes on despite having bc, rather than tx related issues and support. Now, try to get some sleep!

Caryn

• babyduck
    babyduck Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2015

Thanks Caryn..... no sleep yet. Hopefully tonight!!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited December 2015

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/826737?page=33

Babyduck, above is the link to stage iv herceptin/perjeta thread. I'm sure it will help andI hope you are inspired by this this life goes on thread, too.

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited December 2015

So I just had the most amazing weekend visiting with some good friends from South Carolina who decided to make the journey to Vancouver to visit myself and my husband. In the back of my mind I'm thinking are they coming up because they think I won't be around to visit..probably partly . Something I thought of during the visit. Then I go and wreck our last meal together because I imagine myself a lump on my neck and start doing the is this something new to worry about thing . My appetite instantly takes a nose dive I feel like crying and all I want to do is run home and hide. So I do finally get myself home and don't embarrass myself to badly and my son looks at my neck and says "Mama I have the same lump it's a bone... Have I said how much I hate this disease lately ? If we let it , it will rob us of all our pleasure. Another learning situation for me...don't freak out it may just be nothing. Deep breath and carry on.

• artistatheart
    edited December 2015

Been there Wendy, I can totally relate! I do tend to freak out first and ask questions later. Sorry it messed up your dinner a little but glad you have a neck bone!

• melp27
    melp27 Member Posts: 295
    edited December 2015

hi all

have been on the aussie and single boards for a while but seeing as ive been recently diagnosed with mets in October of this year I would start reading posts here.

Short version of my story: first diagnosed in 2011 with EBC stage 3 ILC tumour in left breast. Went through the whole load of it surgery, chemo and rads. Things were ok until October 2014 when they found dcis in my other breast. As I have a gene mutation (not braca) I decided to go ahead and have the right one off as well. Didn't need any other treatment for the dcis thank god. Next I had some bloating in my abdomen with turned out to be ascites from tumours on both my ovaries. Had stomach drained two different times. While I was in hospital for that they also found tumour in one of my lungs and a blood clot. middle of October they told me that the cancer had definetly progressed to the stage four status and that I was now incurable.

I was 27 when first diagnosed and am now 31. Am single but have great family and friends being as supportive as possible. Am on zoladex and injections to stop blood clot coming back. No chemo as yet because hormone therapy is working but I have been told it wont work forever.

• KiwiCatMom
    edited December 2015

Geeze Melp! Welcome to the thread and sorry you've been through so much! It is incurable, but several of us have been stable for several years. Here's hoping you have the same luck!

Terre

• capinva
    capinva Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2015

kelp your story similar to mine. I had stage Iii ILC in 2010. Had surgery, chemo & rads. In May stomach swelled due to ascities. Tumors on both ovaries & stage IV. Tried Ibrance but didn't stop tumors. Currently doing abraxane and tumors are not growing but having trouble with ascities. I am getting 5 liters drained every week. That is the worst part for me. Praying you get stable & stay that way. Glad hormone therapy is working for you.

• artistatheart
    edited December 2015

melp and capinva, sorry you have to join this group but welcome. It is immensely helpful reading others stories and sucesses. Hang in there and take it one day at at time. Ascitites sound like zero fun.......sorry you have to go through that.