Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited March 2016

So, so tired but happy! Here is a pic from the baby shower. From l to r : Sarah, Kaila, Proud Mom.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited March 2016

Caryn, what a beautiful picture. I am glad you had a good time. Get some rest. You will be in the midst of all your students before you know it.

Lynne

• annieoakley
    annieoakley Member Posts: 653
    edited March 2016

Terre, love the pictures. Dh is quite the photographer! What an amazing variety of kites, I've never seen anything like them, they're so colorful. 

Caryn, what a beautiful picture of you and the girls. It made me feel so happy that you're able to share in these special moments. 

• scrunchthecat
    scrunchthecat Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2016

Artist - Hawaii is amazing, particularly if you can island-hop a bit. We flew to Hilo on the Big Island first, spent a couple of nights at Volcanoes National Park, then drove around the southern tip of the island to Waikoloa. We then went to Maui, stayed at Lahaina, but travelled to Haleakala and the Molokini Crater. We ended our trip on Oahu at Honolulu. It was an amazing trip, particularly if you like beaches, swimming, SCUBA/snorkling and hiking.

Italy is also a fun place. Life is easy. The food and wine are excellent, people are nice. You can run around like a tourist, or you can find a village, sit in the Piazza and drink wine all day.

You can do all that you want in NYC - it is all affordable and readily available. But you do need to be able to get around, or be able to let a taxi get you around. NYC is best for the nimble of foot. I will be there probably the first week in June for a few days.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2016

Hawaii is lovely, especially if you can get away from major tourist areas. Upcountry Maui comes to mind. Italy? Never had a bad meal there and the people are great. NYC? Well, I grew up there and can say it is a unique city and a great fun. The world is so amazing!

Couldn't resist one more shower pic. This is Kaila, mom to be, and my granddaughter, Frankie. She can't wait for her cousin to be born!

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2016

Awww, great picture Caryn! What a special time for you girls. Bet you can't wait for that baby to arrive. Kids at school are cute enough but there is something sooooo special about a newborn.

Wow Scrunch you really get around! Do you have a traveling job or just make vacations happen? I can't believe how little I have traveled in my life. Hence the urgent feeling to get going now! I have been to Mexico and most of the West Coast states and thats it. Shocked Time for me to hit the road and see some world! Probably Hawaii first while I figure out how we are going to afford a trip to Europe. LOL! I would love to walk for miles in NYC just checking it out. Thanks for all the tips Scrunch.

In the meantime, I live in a wonderful spot for hiking, biking and skiing so will take advantage of that while I plan!

• scrunchthecat
    scrunchthecat Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2016

Artist - I am a university professor. I travel for my job. I lived in NYC for 20 years, taught study abroad in Northern Italy for a summer and went to Hawaii on racked-up frequent flyer miles! I did my dissertation research in Beijing, and have been all over Europe. My best advice: Pick a place you really want to go. If you want to go to Paris, fly in there, stay a few days, take a train down to Italy, stay there a few days. You can fly into one city and fly out another. My favorite flight planning tool is hipmunk.com (it shows you fares from multiple sites). You can also try onetravel.com - this site will put together connections between multiple airlines, even if they don't normally connect. I use Tripadvisor.com and venere.com to find affordable lodging (venere.com is great in Europe). It's always cheaper to purchase European rail tickets once you are on the ground in Europe.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited March 2016

Kiwi, the balloons look almost magical, so many in the sky and on such a bright blue day.

Caryn, beautiful photos of you, your daughters. Your little granddaughter is gorgeous, too

• teacher911
    teacher911 Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2016

My daughter and I on a recent trip to Iceland> It was never on my bucket list but it proved to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. We saw the Northern Lights, climbed on glaciers, saw geysers go off, walked on black volcanic beaches, soaked in the Blue Lagoon and had fabulous meals in Rekyavik. Anytime spent with our loved ones is wonderful but when you can soak up so much natural beauty with a loved one it's a win/win!

• 50sgirl
    edited March 2016

Teacher, Your descriptions of your experiences in Iceland are wonderful. The picture is magnificent.I have never considered traveling there, but now it seems that it is worth the trip. I am glad you had such a good time. Thank you for sharing with us.

Lynne

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2016

teach, your Iceland photo is breathtaking

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited March 2016

Teacher, what a beautiful photo! Thanks so much for sharing. It looks spectacular!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2016

Wonderful pic of Iceland. I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights 👍

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited March 2016

Teacher what a super photo, a friend of mine bought herself a little Icelandic horse and always talked about going there for a visit. What a great trip you had by the sounds of it.😄

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited March 2016

Teacher, beautiful picture and description of what sounds like a wonderful trip! Iceland's one place I never thought about going to until they started non-stop flights from Denver. Now, it's on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing!

• artistatheart
    edited March 2016

Teacher, WOW! That picture together with your description just planted a new idea in my head as well! Beautiful!

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited March 2016

My grandson's before and after. He had his hair cut tonight to have a wig made . He was so proud telling the stylist it was for me. He has been growing it for over a year. This was his second attempt. The first time he ended up getting it cut because kids were making fun of him.

I'm so proud of him. Needless to say, a few tears were shed!

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2016

GatorGal, whoa! What a transformation! And what an amazing grandson, to set this goal in honor of his grandma. So impressive and such a loving gesture

• 50sgirl
    edited March 2016

GatorGal, what a wonderful grandson you have. He is brave to do such a thing knowing that he could face teasing from other kids. Please tell him that we are all proud of him and honored by his gesture. Give him a huge WOOHOO for me. I have a few tears here, too.

Lynn

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited March 2016

Teacher911.....your picture is breathtaking!

Gatorgal...that is awesome! Tell him he is a wonderful young man!

• Wendy3
    edited March 2016

Gator gal  this brought tears to my eyes what a sweaty earn. I have two boys that are 18 so I understand the commitment he has made adorable. Give him a big hug.

Wendy

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited March 2016

Teacher - Beautiful photo, Iceland is on my list

Gator - how wonderful

• teacher911
    teacher911 Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2016

GatorGal what a wonderful young man, you must be so proud! That is a very special gift to give.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited March 2016

GatorGal, what a great story and photos. Your grandson's support is truly heartwarming and very special. You must have a great bond with him.

• funthing42
    funthing42 Member Posts: 236
    edited March 2016

Hi

Sort of new here but not new in general. Hx posted below except for the last. I need to add skin mets locally and a second round of Rads. It was totally wiped out. Happy

I will be a year out from Radiologist April.. I did a routine visit with onc. My markers went up. Went for a pet scan now I have Three Lymph nodes in axilla region largest 2.3 cm but on the opposite side now. Things that make you say hmmmmm.

So anyways no other areas. So maybe I belong here.

I have so much anxiety.

Anyways I'm on Xanax for sleeping. It does not help for the heavy arm and leg feeling. I guess is depression. I've been so up beat up until this point.i

• artistatheart
    edited March 2016

Welcome funthing, I hope it all turns out NOT Stage IV...Hang in there! GatorGal, What an absolute doll! Not just for doing such a selfless thing but literally!

• funthing42
    edited March 2016

Thank you.😊 For the best wishes.I hate needing meds and feeling emotionally weak. I guess anger is setting in.

I won't know until the 18th.

I keep a positve attitude. Trying not to have treatment regret.

• 50sgirl
    edited March 2016

Funthing, I hope that you find out that you are not stage IV, but if you are, there are many people here to support you. It is normal to be an emotional wreck when you are going through what you are experiencing. I will say a prayer for you and keep you in my thoughts. Let us know what you find out on the 18th. In the meantime, try to stay busy. Do things you enjoy.

Lynne

• Wendy3
    edited March 2016

Welcome funthing42 I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that you are not stage four. The waiting is the worst but Lynne's right keep busy and keep lots of folks around you I found that helpful. Wishing you the best☺️

• funthing42
    edited March 2016

Thank you for the sweet kindness, it definitely warmed a bitter stressed out heart.

I started at 40 . I think today they told me I was a stage 4 because the Mets to the skin locally which occurred one month after chemo. Then I had more rads. Finished April last year. You already know the rest.

I wish they didn't stage us. It just causes panic and fear.

Also treatment and trials are stressful .Hard to believe I was told immunotherapy is only for triple negative.

I was treated for her 2 positive when It was barely a fact. Then not to mention being on Lupron. Then to tell me, Oh well I really don't think your in menopause. What the heck . Take the freaking ovaries Sometimes you feel like it's all a crap shoot. Venting of course it's obvious lol.

A least we have support from each other. Hopefully there will be a cure for all soon. Our Doctors are only human that's what really sucks. I prefer a magical whizzard. Ok I let the crazy out. Thank you.😊