Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• Andi67
    Andi67 Member Posts: 314
    edited March 2016

Catching up on all my favorite threads and just wanted to pop in and say hi. I think I took a big vacation from this one several months ago. Great to see all of you and hear your updates, stories, inspirational links. Welcome to everyone new. Caryn - hope Wicked was wonderful. What a great thing to do on SPD! I have seen it three times as well..... I think it's my all time favorite broadway musical.

Happy for everyone with stable scans! Yay!

Loved the link to the 90 year old Norma. My life is a total dichotomy....like I have always been and continue to be in spite of the diagnosis. I need to have my next adventure planned at all times, and am finally (slowly) learning to plan things more than six months out, although it still makes me nervous. At the same time, I am a homebody too...still have kids in high school and want to be here for every, single activity in their lives. Just grateful that I have been stable for three years. If I make it to 5, I am having a HUGE party. :)

XOXO

Andrea

• funthing42
    funthing42 Member Posts: 236
    edited March 2016

Hi

All. I'm back well everything was clear on Mr.

So anyway it is breast cancer in my nodes. Weird.

What's stranger is they say it's distant recurrence.

So it traveled all thru my lymph system and landed in my arm pit. It's a miracle lol. I never had cancer on my left.

I really don't know given my track record with no remission. CRAP!

Have to go.Bawling Starting a pity party. Sorry. Big hugs for all!!

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2016

Thanks Deanna and Divine, Tempered happiness for now....Hi Jen and DG, Sorry you have to be here too but a huge welcome. DG I am about 8 months into this and I still can cry over certain songs believe me! Or a baby bird or snow falling or........LOL! Sometimes I get blindsided by the most unexpected things. I'm kind of a sap that way. But all in all I am doing pretty OK most of the time. Still have a appt. to get through Monday. BLAH... My sister called me today and asked if I wanted to go to Barcelona with her for 8 days! I have never been anywhere outside the US besides Mexico so that would be huge. My niece who lives there said she will take me to Paris for two of those days, a lifelong dream! So I am trying to see if I can line up all the logistics (like an expedited passport ect) The only reservation I have is that I would rather go with DH, or DH TOO anyway, since we haven't done much traveling in our life together. He is sort of like my security blanket. Hug I also would have to take off work right before Spring vacation which is frowned upon. But it's an opportunity I should grab. so we'll see how it all plays out! Hope you all are getting some lovely Spring Weather...

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited March 2016

Artistatheart wow that's exciting you should go for sure you will eat amazing food and experience so much. I really think us cancer ladies have a special gift in getting the most out of everything and enjoying every experience to the max. I lived for eight years in Europe you will LOVE it be prepared for crowds though not a big deal but as a Canadian used to space, it took awhile getting used to it. So fun

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 236
    edited March 2016

Thanks for the welcome Artistatheart. That sounds like a great experience to go to Barcelona and Paris! I've never been to Barcelona, but I've heard it is an amazing city with incredible food! Paris, of course, is a dream city as well. So beautiful and even the little corner bistros have delicious food.

I agree, Wendy3, that we gain new perspective with cancer. I found that with my original diagnosis back in 2007 and I'm feeling it even more so now. I'm still contributing to my retirement account in my resolve to remain positive about the future, but I scaled way back so that my family and I can travel more.

Funthing42, I'm sorry for the distant nodes. This BC stuff works in very crazy ways. Hugs to you.

• funthing42
    edited March 2016

Definitely sounds like fun. I've never been outside US except Canada. :)

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited March 2016

Artista,

Go, go, go! Travel is a feast for the soul, an enrichment of life that is invaluable. I have been fortunate, between the Peace Corps, Pan Am and my natural wanderlust, to have traveled a good bit. Savor every moment, from the tourist must does, to the everyday life of people (love going to local markets and grocery stores).

Caryn

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited March 2016

artist, hope you can make that happen

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited March 2016

Artist, seize the opportunity to go to Spain and France! I know I would feel like you in wanting my husband to go along, but it's only eight days apart, and then you will have your passport and your sea legs ready for a trip with him! I'm planning a trip now--it has been forever since we went away together-- and it has been the best thing to keep my mind off my ominous symptoms and test results (which I went into on other threads, as you know).

Hello, DGHoff and Jennifer. I'm so glad you are feeling better and coping. It can be so surprising to realize that you can have this diagnosis and treatment side effects, but still feel good and happy. Reading above I see many of us enjoying family time, vacations, time at home, nature, the arts. As Wendy says, we are still here.

Funthing, I had a similar weird thing happen--one of my mets locations was breast, so it must have traveled through lymph or blood and set up shop there.

• artistatheart
    edited March 2016

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. If I can pull it all together (Passport and time off) I will definitely go. Wendy, I am a mountian girl who lives in a town with like 5 stoplights. So crowds can get to me pretty quickly too. I will have to remind myself it is all part of the experience. I agree Caryn, this would be sooo good for my soul. My favorite part would be the smaller markets and hole in the wall places I think. But will also see some of the "must do's" as my sister has a say in the itinerary too! Back to the grind tomorrow.......

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited March 2016

artist good luck at the oncologist today I'm heading off to start all the trial blood work again. Always something going on with us cancer ladies eh? I will be thinking of you today and sending good news only vibes.

Wendy

• artistatheart
    edited March 2016

Thanks Wendy, My visit was fairly positive. Less SUV uptake overall and stable with slightly improved. The only small blip was my thyroid shows some inflammation common with hashimoto's thyroiditis. Good luck on your blood draw to, may they be very gentle! (Unlike my scan guy the other day)

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited March 2016

Artist, sorry to hear about the inflammation in your thyroid, but very glad that your results are positive!! Stable and slightly improved is a relief! I was thinking about you a lot yesterday - knew you were getting the full results. I'm so happy about this!! Now you canRelax and enjoy the good news!!

• artistatheart
    edited March 2016

Thanks Hummingbird, I can relax for a bit but still need to find out what up with the thyroid.....I hate to say I think I may back out of Barcelona trip as the sister who is making the plans is sort of all over the place with the plans and keeps changing ideas. I'm getting a little stressed about it. My main desire was Paris and now she is questioning whether we can fit it in! 2 more days to make up my scattered mind. I'm just not feeling it......

• exbrnxgrl
    edited April 2016

imageBaby Miles is here! Born 4/18 at 3:28pm, 6 lbs, 14 oz. Mother and baby are doing very well. I am exhausted but bursting with joy 😍😍😍😍😍

• exbrnxgrl
    edited April 2016

imageFrankie with her mom and new baby cousin, Miles

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited April 2016

Whoopee!!!! I just logged on, saw you had posted, Caryn, and knew it had to be news of Mile's arrival!!!! He's absolutely beautiful...the joy is shared from my neck of the woods!!! What a perfect picture of Frankie meeting her little cousin :-) I'm overjoyed for this moment of happiness for you. Last night our 5 yr old GS was reading to 2 yr old GD...they were in his bedroom & I listened on the other side of the door...oh, the tears :-). Happy Birthday, Miles. You are loved :-)

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited April 2016

congratulations to grandma, mama, auntie, and cousin, Frankie! So excited when I logged on to see baby photos! Miles is beautiful!!

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis!

Happy dance from Maryland!!

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited April 2016

Congratulations! So precious!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited April 2016

Aaawwwwww!!!!!!

Such a heartwarming photo! Congrats on the new grandson, Caryn! You are blessed!

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited April 2016

Caryn,What a beautiful photo. It brought such a big smile to my face. What a blessing for you and your family.

Lynne

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited April 2016

Oh, Caryn, that picture of your grandchildren just fills my heart! I can only imagine the joy you must be feeling today! Congratulations to all! So happy for you! Deanna

• Rosieo
    Rosieo Member Posts: 200
    edited April 2016

Isn't it amazing how a picture of a new born baby just warms your heart and makes you smile!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing a smile today.

Rosieo

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited April 2016

Welcome to the world, Miles!

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited April 2016

Congrats Caryn. What a beautiful growing family you have!

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited April 2016

Grand babies are magic, balm to every wound. Congratulations!

• funthing42
    edited April 2016

Absolutely perfect :)!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! !!!!!

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited April 2016

Beautiful!!!!!! Congratulations!!

• funthing42
    edited April 2016

Hi I wanted to chime in on the thyroid issues. I also had uptake on the pet scan . One Doctor was slightly concerned the other was like that is the least of your problems.

So here comes the strange thing is it possible that I could just have regional BC. Or am I In denial . I really need that question answered. I guess it doesn't matter.

Oncotype doc said we are talking nodes out then rads.

Now I'm taking the ibrance and faslodex.

They told me they are not taking surgery off the table. ??? I guess they are waiting to shrink it in my nodes. but what happens once I stop. To get surgery for nodes.

Or decide my ovaries should be taken out because this whole time I've been borderline menopausal. Should this concern me .

Does anyone know if ibrance can make cancer ecellerate after you stop or make other treatments not work as well. Personally Radiation seems to just make my cancer resilient. Except for the 5 tiny superficial skin mets they blasted.

My confusion is when you are first dx'd the first thing they like to announce is how many nodes are involved well I finally have 4 nodes out of ?? So now nodes do not matter. Doesn't taking them out help stop the spread of ds.

Sorry for the tangent it seems like my mo lately. :)

Runnnnnn on sentences :)

• artistatheart
    edited April 2016

Caryn, he is just fabulous! What a great little profile.....I love the picture of Frankie just gazing at him. Super congratulations, life at it's best!