Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Life does not end with a stage IV diagnosis (really!)

Comments

• nancyh
    nancyh Member Posts: 185
    edited April 2016

He's gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing with us, I just logged on tonight for the first time in a while, looking for good news posts, and this one knocked it out of the park!!!

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited April 2016

Caryn congratulations this was a great surprise on my daily scroll through my pages. What a beautiful baby happy days for you and all your family. These are the best moments .

Wendy

• reader218
    reader218 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2016

just thought i would let you know i am 10 years out from my stageIV dx with lung metaatasis. you have alot of life left. do what you need to do to get back to what you love. you are in my prayers

• screech
    screech Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2016

I don't put in my two cents often here....but I just have to comment.....what BEAUTIFUL grandchildren!

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited April 2016

beautiful baby - enjoy all the moments!

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited April 2016

Nancy!!! Yay! So nice to hear from you! That is my good news for the day. We miss your daily's and hope you are doing fine. I think of you often and wish you a beautiful and peaceful Spring.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited April 2016

Thank you all so much for your good wishes. I was in the room during the delivery and I can't think of anything more moving of life inspiring. It was amazing and my dd was incredible. She has been somewhat fragile at earlier points in her life but her strength and determination was awe inspiring. She only pushed for 45 minutes. My school is only 5 minutes from the hospital, so I dashed over there as they were preparing to be discharged. He is such a precious little peanut. Can't wait for the weekend to spend more time with him.

• Texasrose53
    Texasrose53 Member Posts: 290
    edited April 2016

Reader...That is awesome!

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited April 2016

Reader, 10 years is awesome! That's what my onc told me I could do and it's been 8 years. It was hard to believe at the time but I can see it happening for sure. With new treatment combos being tried and the success some are having, I can see it going well past 10! So happy for you. Keep on trucking on!!

Glenna

• artistatheart
    edited April 2016

That is so awesome Reader and Gator! Hope springs eternal!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited April 2016

reader,

I'm sorry to take so long to congratulate you on 10 years. I hope to reach that amazing landmark too, one day.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited April 2016

Because a grandmother can never be too excited or proud, here is a new pic of my sweet baby, Miles.

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited April 2016

Reader, congratulations on 10 years. You are my inspiration!

Caryn, we have two brand-new little ones in the family. I'm just an aunt, but I'm pretty pleased nonetheless.

Tina

• artistatheart
    edited April 2016

He is perfect!!! Just beautiful! Tina, I would take Aunt or Grandma. We just need a new baby in the family......But the best would be one of my kids having one.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited April 2016

Congrats, Tina! I am just blown away by how life affirming babies are.

• Kandy
    Kandy Member Posts: 424
    edited April 2016

Caryn,

I don't typically keep up with this thread but looked to see if your grandbaby was here. Congratulations. He is gorgeous.

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited April 2016

More pictures please, Caryn! I've just learned of Miles' arrival tonight, and he is just gorgeous! Congratulations to you and your DD and family. What fun to come! Thanks for sharing such good news.

GatorGal and Reader, thanks for sharing your good news, too; 8 and 10 years, that is so awesome and inspiring!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited April 2016

Caryn, how sweet! Baby Miles looks so soft and cuddly.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited April 2016
    Thank you, all. My family, particularly my grandchildren, are my joy and passion. Being an educator clearly comes in number two! My older dd and I are cooking today to provide the new family with meals for the week. The new mom loves a Chinese style rice/chicken and black mushroom dish that I make in the slow cooker. SIL hates mushrooms so she gets it all to herself. Frankie, decided that when we eat dinner, Miles would sit next to her in his high chair. She was very disappointed to learn that he's not ready for a high chair yet, just as he's not ready for hula hoops or trampolines (she had planned to teach him those things by next week).
  • Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited April 2016

Reader,

Congrats on 10 years. I love to hear all these stories. It gives me such hope

Caryn

He is beautiful and love his name. Hula hoops and trampolines - next week perhaps!

I need to remind myself it is the little things as well as the big things. Spent last night playing Apples to Apples and Scatergories with my ds (22), his girlfriend (22) and my dd (almost 18) And a friend who is having hip replacement surgery on Monday. The laughs were wonderful - my friend needed them and so did I. And my kids have another memory. This is a very unusual occurance in my house as dd and ds are often at each others throats!

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited April 2016

Nel...LOL...I have a DS & DD that at 42 (tomorrow) & 40 (June) can still get each other's goat (whatever that means!), but when the grandkids are gathered...it's all about them :-)

Reader & Gator...you are Rock Stars!!!!

Yes...seeing Nancy's post made me smile!!!

Caryn...Miles has his fan club!!! And if I remember correctly, a couple more sisters have pending grand arrivals!!!! Woohoo!!!

• chelleg
    chelleg Member Posts: 396
    edited April 2016

Caryn, how precious could he be? Omg! Makes me all the more excited for the arrival of my grandson in August! Congrats, what a cutie

• txmom
    txmom Member Posts: 220
    edited April 2016

Caryn, He is so precious.  Congratulations.  I'm so glad you got to meet him.  :)

• exbrnxgrl
    edited April 2016

Thanks txmom. I not only got to meet him but was present at his birth. My dd and SIL live very close to me, as does older dd and granddaughter , so I am very present in their lives. The bris is tomorrow

• Andi67
    Andi67 Member Posts: 314
    edited April 2016

Congratulations Caryn, he is just beautiful... and I love the picture of his darling older cousin holding him and gazing down at him. You are very blessed and they are lucky to have YOU so close by! Makes me want to have grandchildren even though my own kids are still in high school and college. And - so funny that she thought he'd be ready for hula hoops and trampolines in a week!  Babies are absolutely THE BEST!

XO

Andrea

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited April 2016

Just over a year and a half ago I was waking up from anesthesia after my port surgery and the doctor broke the news to me that I had bone mets (not that I didn't already know because I was in such pain). I was Stage IV from the start and still a bit unsure of what it all meant. I remember asking her if I would ever return to by Bollywood dance class. She said yes, but she never looked me in the eye.

Well this week I returned to my dance class. I'm 10 pounds heavier, out of shape and given orders to wear shoes (we usually dance barefoot) and not to jump too much, but I was there in the back row waving my arms and swinging my hips.

It feels so good to be back.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited April 2016

Shutterbug, That is fantastic. I have never seen anything about Bollywood dance classes around here, but I can imagine how much fun it is. It looks like great exercise for your entire body. It doesn't matter that you are heavier now or that you have to wear shoes and jump gently. I have a feeling you enjoyed that class more than anyone else there. Congratulations

Lynne

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited April 2016

Good for you Shutterbug. You go girl!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited April 2016

Shutterbag, so happy that you have been able to get back to doing something you love.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited April 2016

Shutterbug! Dance, dance, dance! Adapt if you need to and have a good time. My most unalloyed times of happiness are when I am dancing. I was recently invited to join the advanced performing group where I dance. I'm so happy; it is like a dream come true. My post-chemo short hair, however, is not the right look, so I think I will have to wear a wig for some performances. Not happy about that, but must adapt.