Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo August 2014

Options

Comments

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good evening Ladies:

randomchance:  Welcome to the group that no one wants to join, but we're in the boat, all together, and going to make it through the journey. I had a bone scan, 3 CTs and 2 MRIs and was most afraid of the bone scan.  The additional CT and MRI were given as the  first scans “showed strange things” that ended up being a non-event but scared  the you know what out of me.  I have 3children one boy (26), and two girls (26 & 22).  I am the proud Grammy of 2 adorable grandchildren ages 3 a boy and girl.  My husband and I have been married for 23 wonderful years.  He and my mother have been my rock through this journey.  You will have chemo the same day as Wizard50.  I have added you to the list above.

Justamy:  So sorry to hear that you were hospitalized.  I hope you are doing much better. When will you be given a new date to begin treatment?  Keep us updated and I am thinking about you.

Gatomel:  I had terrible scaniety wondering if something new was going to be found and wanted to say “stop already” especially when they order additional scans.  I exchanged post with Boxofrockstar from the July 2014 thread and she indicated you and her have reached out to each other which is good.  Have you found others on BCO that have unfortunately taken or are taken this journey while pregnant?  I had a rare presentation of BC and it was helpful to find others that had a similar Dx.  I agree with you it will be your little ones that will keep you going.  And I am praying for your health and theirs.  I am so glad you were able to see your little girls as my grandchildren lift my spirits each time they are around me (and my adult kids).

Cbr2004:Congrats on your 10 year anniversary and stopping by to share with us. Hope you   continue to drop in on us.  I too hope we are able to visit in 2024 and also make lasting friendships from this experience.

Wizard50, Oceanbreeze1818: As for the port.my MO wants to see how the first infusion goes through IV before considering a port.Now get this, I went to have my blood drawn on Friday and the lab tech could not find a good vein in my right arm (firmly let him know left arm is off limits). He had to go get a butterfly needle (I believe that is what he called it) and stick it in a small vein that he was able to make “come alive”.  I talked to the Chemo urse and she said they would assess on Wednesday and make a decision. I said the decision is mine based on the results of Wednesday – go figure.

Jess1965 andCatie57:Thinking about each of you. Check in and let us know how you are doing.

If you haven’t already, please add this thread to your favorites.  Hit the “Add to my favorites" button then you can look under "My Favorite Topics" on the menu to see post.

My update:  I have all the preparation test and scans completed and soooo ready (yet not) to get the chemo started.  Went to the chemo class, initial labs done, MUGA completed, follow-up with BS done, and final check in with MO.  I will have AC every three weeks for 3 months.  I was offered dose dense last week (AC every two weeks still 4 treatments) but from my discussion with the MO and those online there are more SEs and little recovery time on that schedule, so harder on me so I choose to stay with the 3 week cycle.  I have also been gathering my supplies and goody bag in prep for Chemo.

Wish all those that will have their 1st infusion this week the very best for your first treatments (Wizard50 and Randomchance).  I pray the side effects are minimal to none for us all. Waiting for the updates from each of you.  

• Elizabeth100
    Elizabeth100 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    Options

HI:  I start chemo this afternoon at 1:30.  Taxol.  I have stage IV breast cancer and have been treated for four years with hormonal therapies, but I guess it is time to move on because new mets in liver.  To say the least, I am scared.  Very, very scared.  Not at all sure I want to do this, but doctors are so resistant to discussions of the no treatment alternative.  I don't know.  Hopefully, this sadness and fear will pass.  Will my hair fall out?  Can I continue to walk with my dog?  Simple questions to which I don't have answers.  I meet with my doctor in the morning, she has been on vacation and was on vacation when she made the decision that it was time for chemo.  Maybe she will explain all to my satisfaction. Wish me luck.

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2014
    Options

Ladyb: I'm still in the hospital (they say till Wed) and am waiting on a biopsy of one of the skin lesions I had before they let me go or reschedule my chemo. They think it will be a week later, so starting on the 15th but we can't be sure because I have to have my port placement rescheduled as well. I'll let you know when I know for sure.:)

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited August 2014
    Options

My TCH starts tomorrow, 8-5. A person on another site told me about this site. She is in the July group and says it is great. I will try to get my info added at the bottom. I'm a little hyper right now from the steroids I took this AM pre-treatment. Good to meet you all. I'll try to read as many posts as I can today. I am most afraid of diarrhea. Oh, BTW, I also have multiple sclerosis. I have found two not very active threads for people with both MS and BC. I'm giving priority to BC right now on doctor's advice. 

• jaycee49
    edited August 2014
    Options

I'm also getting Herceptin but it was not on the list. I get it every 3 weeks with T and C and on the two in between weeks. After 6 rounds of the 3 drugs, I will get just Herceptin every 3 weeks to finish a year.

• oceanbreeze1818
    oceanbreeze1818 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2014
    Options

Jaycee49 -

Welcome but sorry you had to join because of the diagnosis. 

You and I are on the same meds including Herceptin.  You are starting a week before me and you have had your surgery whereas I am doing chemo first and than surgery.  This is a great board to get support whethere it is just to talk about side effects, vent, yell, scream or look for support.  It sucks we are all here, but we all can count on each other to support what each one is going through.  Feel free to message me with any questions you have and keep us posted when you feel up to it about your treatments.   

Elizabeth100 -

I am so sorry to hear about your updated diagnosis and I hope you first treatment goes well.  It is okay to be scared!  I still am but I am trying to stay strong and postive.  If you are getting Taxol one of the side effects I have read is hair loss and I am preparing myself for such.  Also, in regards to walking your dog I am sure you will be able to when you feel up to it.  I asked about continuing my exercise regime and was advised absolutely but within my limits.  I guess I won't really know what side effects I am going to encounter until after my first treatment next week.  The hardest part I have learned through all this is not having my answers to my questions.  But once I was able to get the questions answered I felt better.  Believe me I have my good and bad days.  I think we all do.  

All the ladies on here are in my thoughts and prays and I am hoping all of us do not have to deal with many side effects!

Hugs! 

• justamy
    edited August 2014
    Options

Lady B: Tests results are back. It is sweets syndrome... Some trick your body has to tell you you have an infection or cancer....I didn't need the update there...Anyway my chemo will start August 15th for sure.

• jaycee49
    edited August 2014
    Options

I finally found Herceptin in the targeted therapies list. There.

• Kellogg2006
    Kellogg2006 Member Posts: 159
    edited August 2014
    Options

I think I might be joining you ladies.  I am recovering from surgery and waiting to meet with the doctors.  I know chemo is coming just not sure of a start date yet.  

• wizard50
    wizard50 Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014
    Options

Welcome all the newcomers to the group :) 

Randomchance -  We start chemo on the same day and I can only assume that you are as nervous and anxious as I am.  I follow the July Chemo 2014 thread and the Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin thread and knowing what to expect has helped to calm my fears a lot.  

Elizabeth - I hope your treatment today went well and that you have no or minimal SE.  

Justamy - I never heard of "sweets syndrome". That's one I'm going to search as soon as I'm done posting.  Hope you feel better and get to go home soon.

Ladyb - hoping your blood draw last Friday is not a preview for Wednesday's chemo.  Sending positive vibes that the nurse can easily access your veins.  So sorry that with everything you are dealing with that to have or not have a port is an issue.  That should be the last thing that any of us should have to stress over.

Sending hugs to everyone starting chemo this week.  

• DonnaNJ
    DonnaNJ Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello ladies,

I will begin TCH this Friday. I had hoped to begin tomorrow, but they couldn't fit me in. The sooner I start, the sooner I will be done! I am hoping to work through my treatment, I have a very supportive family, friends and staff. I believe keeping my life as normal as possible will help me get through this temporary time! I love these forums and am glad I found this group. I look forward to taking this journey with you all!

• wizard50
    edited August 2014
    Options

Ladyb - I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and saying prayers that all goes well and that there aren't any issues with your veins.  Will also pray for minimal to little to no side effects for all is starting chemo this week.  

Stay strong and positive :)  sending hugs to all! 

• Bippy625
    Bippy625 Member Posts: 602
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi all, i am new, dx on 7/29, IDC stage 2/3, with her+++. 2 lumps, one in breast and one in r lymph. Each are 1 cm. i start chemo Friday, getting my port Thurs. Also I will be getting herceptin and maybe another drug. I have read lots of these boards, but am asking for all suggestions!  I live in Florida, but already know to bring a sweater...I will get doc instrux tomorrow, but please share ladies. Thank you!!!!

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi friends,

I just received my oncotype results today. It's 30, so it looks as if chemo is in my future. I did not have chemo during my first battle in 2001, and as far as I know, the oncotype test was not being done back then.  I have an appointment with my MO next week to discuss details - drugs, frequency, # of treatments, start date, etc. 

But it's good to know that I'm not alone in this and am looking forward to learning and sharing as we go through this battle together.  Stay encouraged!

One love,

tp4ever 

• randomchance
    randomchance Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks to every one for the welcome. It brings to mind a quote, "so wonderful to see you. How sad that you're here".

All i have to say about hair loss is, if my eyebrows fall out, I better not have to shave my legs.

I am having the year of that drug also, so i got my port last week at the advice of my doctor and my chronically ill sister. I don't like it but it is still fresh. It gets less annoying every day. My biggest issue is probably not an issue for most of you-- the liquid band aid itches like crazy but i am afraid to peel any more of it off.

am  not that nervous about chemo, I kind of want to get started and get it over with., it is all the tests i am stressing, the ones I need results to and the ones not done yet, especially the MRI.

My day tomorrow:

8 am go by oncologists and sign paperwork to get financial help

830 check in at lab at hospital, drink gunk to make my inside light up

10 am 3CT scans

Take a valium : )

1030 am the dreaded MRI

Eat, take first dose of pre chemo drug

1pm Echocardiogram

Take the second dose of the pre chemo drug.

Also, help son get ready for first day of school, go by my office to pick up the cell phone I forgot and left today and whatever else gets added at the last minute.

• ladyb1234
    edited August 2014
    Options

Elizabeth100,jaycee, Kellogg2006, DonnaNJ and Bippy625 you have joined a wonderful group of women
    here. I am so sorry you had to join this club, but there will be
    great support for you here. We are all just getting started on our chemo journey
    with a lot of 1st round infusion this week. I have
    added each of you the top thread and please let me know if I missed anyone. ((((Big Hug))))

Elizabeth100: As you have probably
    gathered this board is great to get the support you need. It is Ok to be scared. We are here for you to talk about DX, SEs,
    vent, yell, scream whine or to give a virtual hug and most of all to support
    you through this journey. Ditto what
    Oceanbreeze said, please feel free to message me with any questions. I pray
    that your treatment went well and that there will be minimal to no SEs.

Jaycee: I was
    thinking about you today and hope that your treatment went well. Give us an update when you can.

JustAmy:
    I looked up sweets disease.
    I get the “I don’t need an update there now” J. I have
    updated your date and soo glad you have a new date. Rest and glad you get to go home soon.

Kellogg, DonnaNJ, Bippy65 and Thinkpink: Glad you found us! (((Hugs)))

Random: Good luck on
    all the test. You have a very hectic
    schedule tomorrow and I will be thinking of
    you.

Wizard:  Thanks you don't know how much I need the stay postive push..  I tried to
    drown myself in other things and not think about chemo tomorrow.  Then I
    thought I am going to sit down and say hello and get updates from my new “friends”
    to cheer me up.  I got on and saw your encouragment about staying postive along with a PM from another online friend.  With that said, I pulled myself up by the bootstraps. I am better.  Starting chemo has affecting me
    today more than I have admitted until writing it down here. Can I say I just want to
    keep my eyebrows and eyelash --- what a girl can do with just eyebrows and eyelashes (((big wink))).

If I
    am not on for those that start on Thursday and Friday, know that you are in my
    thoughts as each of you go through your treatments. 

Peaceful rest this evening for all of you.

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi Ladies, checking back to read everyone's experiences. I will be starting chemo this coming Friday. My Dr also recommended not putting a port in. He said we can always put one in later if need be. I think losing our hair as a woman will be difficult, but I have resigned myself to the fact and purchased a wig. My insurance pays up to 80 percent for 1 wig. Something you may want to look in to. You need a script from ur Dr for a "cranial prosthesis". Insurance co can probably recommend places that take ur insurance. I am having TC every three weeks for 6 times. They offered a trial with herceptin, but I opted not to do it for my own personal reasons. I will follow that with radiation and hormone pills. I am actually ready to start because then I will be done by Xmas. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to do this in any way shape or form, but know it has to and is going to start. Keep me posted after you all start, so we can support each other thru this time. 

Catie57

• SandyLovesLucy
    SandyLovesLucy Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi everyone. I'm new to the boards today although I have read a lot here since my diagnosis. I will be starting chemo in August but the exact date is to be determined.  MO wants me to have a cardio consult and I'm not sure if she will ok me to start chemo before that happens. I will have my port placed on Monday the 11th. I struggled with that decision but there were issues getting veins for IVs prior to the the two lumpectomies I had. The chemo nurse also assessed me and recommended the port so here I go. I will get Taxol and Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks, then Herceptin every three weeks to total a year. I'm in sales and am trying to figure out how much I will be able to work and travel during chemo. Also starting to face the fact that I will probably need to get a wig.  MO said maybe just some thinning but chemo nurse said plan to lose enough that you you will probably need the wig! It has been a roller coaster ride since diagnosis but as I read so often here, now that I have a plan in place I am feeling much better. Thanks for being here and sharing your experience.  As my user name indicates, I am a huge I Love Lucy fan and plan to get through treatment figuring out how she would handle it! Hoping to share hugs and humor along our way together. :)

• randomchance
    randomchance Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2014
    Options

Now I am trying to picture how Lucy would handle it too.

She would definitely cry when her hair fell out,, and then get a big goofy wig.

I am not sure what would happen in the MRI but somehow it would be funny.

• SandyLovesLucy
    SandyLovesLucy Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2014
    Options

randomchance, I have drawn you into my  Lucy world! Yay!  I'm kicking myself for not buying a rainbow colored wig I saw in a dollar store recently.  And, yes, having my boobs hanging In two holes during tne MRI was pretty comical after the little crying jag I had before going in. Although I do laugh a lot, the tears do come at unexpected moments.

• oceanbreeze1818
    oceanbreeze1818 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thinking of all of you who have/are starting treatment this week.  Sending positive vibes your way!  Remember...

• jess1965
    jess1965 Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2014
    Options

hi everyone,

Gearing up for next week! Get my port on 8/11..then first A/C treatment on 8/14. This thread and similar ones have been so helpful in helping me know what to expect (and what things to go ahead and get to counteract potential SEs). I found this great artist (gypsy love)  on etsy who makes extraordinary chemo hats. I splurged and got one and it is really cute (and very soft and hopefully perfect for chemo). Wanted to share with anyone looking for something a bit more funky and artsy to help keep the spirits up!    

https://www.etsy.com/listing/167780430/womens-soft-all-season-hat-for?ref=shop_home_active_3

Sending lots of love and healing vibes to everyone in our group!

• wizard50
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good morning all and welcome newbies :)

Sandy - you sucked me into your Lucy world too lol. As soon as I read that I started to think what crazy antics Lucy would do to get through chemo!  

Jess1965 - thanks for the Etsy link.  I'm still undecided on whether to buy a wig but I've already invested in some caps/hats.  I really like these on Etsy so I may just have to splurge on another!

Thinking of you today Ladyb and hoping you have an easy time time with no issues and very minimal SE.

I just took my first Decadron in preparation for my first chemo tomorrow.  After researching and reading through the threads here, I'm as mentally ready as I could possibly be.  I've had a couple delays and I'm now more than ready to get this show on the road! If my calculations are correct my last chemo will be the week before Thanksgiving.  

And to everyone else starting chemo this week - you're all in my thoughts and prayers.  Sending positive vibes and hugs to each of you :) stay strong and positive.

• jaycee49
    edited August 2014
    Options

First round of chemo August 5, 2014

I am writing this to my son and Sarah, my sister, all my friends at Good Sam and all my new friends at the cancer forums, her2.org and breastcancer.org. I had my first round of TCH yesterday and should have at least posted a short version last night but didn’t. I was pretty tired after the seven hours (yes, seven hours) at the cancer center. I was not really physically tired, just mentally tired. We got there at 8:30 AM. My husband left me there right away because we knew it was going to be a long day and he could get a lot done with a day off work. I waited (be prepared for that forum buddies and the build up of anxiety that causes) and was brought to the chemo suite soon. They do blood work first (port worked for that, more later) and wait for the results so you see the doctor about an hour later. This all took longer than expected (I ask a lot of questions, don’t stop until I see the doctor rolling his eyes). My infusion was supposed to start at 10 but didn’t start until 11. My port worked fine. They only stabbed me twice. The nurse gave me a shot of Lidocaine to numb the port then inserted the infusion needle. The Lidocaine stung some and didn’t really make the next one painless. She said I could skip the first one next time but I may do as recommended by my forum buddies and get the numbing cream to use ahead of time. I asked the doctor about it and he said he would prescribe it but kind of poo-poo’d it. Once the line was in, that was it for pain for me.

First, I got two small bags of pre-treatment meds, one anti-nausea and one the steroid you take the day before and he day after. That bothered my stomach a little when taken orally but not by IV. Everything is done sequentially. These meds don’t play well together. The Herceptin was next. That took 90 minutes. She said next time, it will take 60 minutes and subsequent times, it will take 30. When they see you can tolerate it, they pump it in faster. There are small screens that you can watch that show various things I didn’t understand but also, it counts down the time of the current infusion. I paid attention to that for a while but had to stop as it made the time go by really slowly. Oh, big thing. They have WIFI. When I first went in to the chemo suite, I was in a small cubicle with three chairs. A woman was there with her mom and was using her laptop. Probably not that secure (no password on the network) so I may not bring my Chromebook but nice to know it’s there. When the third chair was filled, that woman turned on the TV. I can’t read with a TV on (MS concentration thing) and had told them that. After I saw the doctor, she moved me to one of the two small bedrooms they have that were not being used that day. If they are being used, I will have to stay with the TVs. There are many TVs, all going. It’s not incredibly noisy but too noisy for me to read.

The T was next, which takes 60 minutes and will stay that for the duration, I think. With each bag, there were a few times when the boxes would beep for various reasons, air bubbles in the line and other things I didn’t understand. The screen says what to do, which button to push and I was tempted but, of course, never did. Almost all of them say they are finished before they actually are and a nurse comes by because of the beeping and pushes buttons and gets it started again. The third chemo bag was the C for another 60 minutes. Then, at the end, they run two small amounts of flushing meds and take the line out. That hurt just a very tiny bit. They took all the covering off my port, even though it had only been in for a week and a half. The incisions are healed very well and they said I could shower, which the port surgeon said not to do for two weeks. I haven’t yet but may tomorrow. Don’t worry. I do take sponge baths and wash my hair in the kitchen sink.

We left at about 3:30 PM. Seven hours. It really didn’t seem that long. I was glad no one had to wait around that long with me. That would be really boring. I set up Dial-a-Ride for next week, Tuesday at 9 AM. I will get just Herceptin then and the week after that, then back to the three drugs. The side effects haven’t kicked in yet. I felt really good yesterday and so far today. Since I have MS, suppressing my immune system is a good thing. Normally, it is overactive and attacks things in my body it should not. I’m expecting to get some side effects so I will be prepared. I’ve got the meds ready.

My doctor did ask about my right arm which was damaged during surgery. He is like my primary care doctor now. He wants the results of the MRI I had of my right shoulder and wanted to know what my PT said. My PT said he thought my rotator cuff was torn when the OR nurse pulled my right arm out before the surgery. Depending on how the side effects go, I will try to see an orthopedic doctor soon and let him read the shoulder MRI for structural damage. My neuro will only read neurological damage.

Sorry this is so long and detailed but I wanted to get all the info out in one go because I am still typing with my left hand, a slow process but I’m getting better at it. And lastly, let me tell you about nurses. They make the world go around. Without them, it would stop dead on it’s axis and never spin again. I would not have survived, and certainly not done so well, without them. I thanked them and thanked them but I don’t think they know how important they are to us.

Good luck to all of my forum buddies starting chemo in August. I hope I have been able to ease your anxiety a little. 

• wizard50
    edited August 2014
    Options

Jaycee - thank you for the detailed post.  I start chemo tomorrow and I'm also getting TCH.  They told me to expect 4-5 hours for my first round and now I'll allow extra time.  Knowing what to expect helps me a great deal and it really does ease my anxiety.  I'm hoping that you continue to feel well and don't have any of the dreaded side effects.  

• thinkpink4ever
    thinkpink4ever Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thinking and praying for everyone today!  I hope you are all in pretty good spirits and hanging in there!

One love,

tp4ever

• justamy
    edited August 2014
    Options

Good news! I do not have the genetic mutation.I am so happy that my daughter is no more predisposed to this than anyone else. And no ovarian surgery. Yay!

Lady B: I'm so sorry to change again but they called  and told me that they have to change my chemo date. I now start on 8/22. Hopefully. I want to get started so I can get finished!

• Tabbygirl521
    Tabbygirl521 Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi, everyone,

I'm getting my port tomorrow and starting treatment Friday, August 15. Like SandyLovesLucy, I'm getting 12 weekly infusions of Taxol and Herceptin, then tri-weekly Herceptin for a year (it is surreal, typing that out!). I was in the gray area for chemo (small tumor, clear nodes) and had to do a LOT of thinking before I decided to go ahead and throw everything I could at this mess. This is my third go-round with the beast (the first two were DCIS) and I am kind of sick of hearing "Yeah, it's cancer."

I was told to expect at least 50% hair loss, so I'm planning a buzz cut and looking online for head coverings that won't make me look like Norma Desmond in "Hollywood Boulevard."

Anyone from the Seattle area?

• ladyb1234
    edited August 2014
    Options

Jaycee: Thank you so much for the detailed post. That was a long day and I thought my 3.5
    hours was long! I so totally agree with
    you after my experience today that the nurses can either make or break your
    day. I had one that made my day go round and round. Even the initial nurse was awesome we were
    talking away as she was prepping me for the room and then said you get the
    suite today. Loll! I also thanked each of them
    on my why out. Their response, it was
    such a privilege to help and attend to you today and we will be here with you through
    your journey and please do not hesitate to call! Loved it!!!

Catie57:
    Glad to hear from you. I will have to check into my insurance
    covering the “wig” then maybe I can have at least twoJ.
    Jess I love the link I think I am going
    to get one. I have yet to buy a “nice/fun” hat.
    One of the ladies on the July 2014 thread made awesome hats and I will
    rock that one often.

Jess1965: Glad to hear from you too. I love the link and will probably get one. I
    have yet to buy a “fun” hat. One of the
    ladies on the July 2014 thread made awesome hats which I will rock often.

SandyLovesLucy: You have joined an awesome group of women
    here. I picture seeing one boob hanging
    longer than the other and being to do her whine. The wide-eyed and comical expression on her
    face when the technicians touch her bombs to adjust her. Then her hair being caught somewhere in the
    MRI.LOL. I could keep going but my writing doesn’t do just to my
    imagination.

Oceanbreeze: love the post!

Justamy:
    That is awesome and wonderful news! I am doing the happy dance
    with you! I have updated your date.

My update: I just had my first treatment of AC today and
    had my own private room with a gorgeous view – woot woot! The time wasn't
    so bad except being stuck 3 can I say 3 times to try and get the IV needle in…ugggh. The nurse viewed my veins then immediately asked
    if I had a port. My answer “No, because I asked for one and was told I only needed
    it if my veins were bad. Also added “My
    MO stated you guys were good (with a wink)”.
    She immediately sent an email to my MO within 10 mins of starting my appointment
    stating I needed a port before my next infusion. The RN picked out 5 veins to choice from – go
    figure 5 my heart sunk at that time and anxiety was in high gear. I could just
    feel mental I was slumping over. She was
    so apologetic and really cared how I felt. I have to say I loved her she
    made the ride so much easier. She stayed with me during the AC infusion
    so she would be on top of any issues that may occur. She showered me with warm blankets, a heating
    pad and a makes sure my recliner was in a relaxed position. She (as much as I)
    wanted those veins to pop out. Loved her! I was so scared they wouldn't find a good vein
    but the third time was the charm. The
    first one – to short, second one – bubbled and hurt like the dickens, third one
    just – right. And away we go ready for
    AC. She got me water, ice for my nails,
    cranberry juice, and made sure I ate. She was so motherly like.

Right
    now, I am so amped – my guess the steroids. I have asked those that
    started chemo in July to jump in here if they have any pointers on SEs. I had anti-nausea meds with my IV (emend sp?)
    and took Decardon and Zofran pills before the chemo started, which I am also
    scheduled to take Thursday and Friday (twice a day). The MO also provided
    a prescription for Compazine for ongoing treatment of nausea.

What I
    have in my SE goody bag right now:

1. Water and lots of it,

2. Dry mouth mouth wash,

Ready to make magic mouth wash,

Jell-O and flavored popsicles ready and ice cubes – I picked that up from
    one of the earlier post on this forum. I
    think Puffin from the July 2014 posted or linked to the recipe.

Everyone with chemo, treatments or dealing
    with SEs this week are in my prayers and (it's a lot of us!!) good luck!!

• ladyb1234
    edited August 2014
    Options

Welcome Tabby and look forward to getting to know you during this journey.  I have added you to the list.   

One of the threads I read earlier on in BCO is what to expect which really wasn't about side effects but how we are the captains of our ships and no one else.  What we do or not do is our decision. I will have to find that and add to our helpful links. Glad all of us have or are taking control of our ship.  Me I demanded a port but they just couldn't get one in before my first treatment and I wasn't going to delay it.  The Nurse confirmed my decision was correct based on my veins.