Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Picture This!!

Options

Comments

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

Lisa - I had forgotten about the SD harbor being relatively calm. We always used to go see the Tall Ships when I lived down there!

We've been watching the news about the waves at Newport, and our timeshare is about ten minutes south of there. The Laguna Beach webcam we watch looks like it's at permanent high tide!

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    Options

Continuing on the pirate ship theme

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

The purple flower is a Columbine, I believe. I lay on the grass to get that shot. The plant has never come back so I`m glad I got it while I could. We lost a LOT of permanent plants and bushes this year due to that `Polar Vortex` we all had last winter....

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

it is a beauty. Barbe

• lyzzysmom
    lyzzysmom Member Posts: 285
    Options

I finally found my backup with a lot of photos from the past couple of years, including some I took last year at the Capron Park Zoo in SE MA, a small but nice little zoo. The aviary was really dark but I found this red crested cardinal from South America. The poor fellow below looked so sad and I was really lucky to get a shot of the otter as he came right up to the glass as he got out of the water. 

• barbe1958
    Options

LOVE those shots Lyzzy!!!

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Thanks Barb, I have been digging out so many pics from the last several years. The cardinals were on my deck feeder winter before last, what a perfect gentleman Mr. Cardinal is. That was a really horrible storm. I had cleared a spot on the feeder and he was looking after his mate. There are 2 pairs that live in the neighborhood. The other was a young bluejay having a bad hair day after I moved the feeder to the yard.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    Options

I have just come from a baby shower, I am sure you've probably seen cakes like this, but it was a first for me! Both White Chocolate and Double mud cake with raspberry filing! 

• lyzzysmom
    Options

What an adorable cake! I love all the delicate flower detail on it too. I hope you had a fun time.It sounds so yummy, I'm getting hungry!!

• Ariom
    Options

Thank you lyzzysmom, it was a lovely party and the cake was just beautiful, the pic doesn't do it justice! It was delicious!

• barbe1958
    Options

I have NEVER seen a cake like that even in a picture!! Must have been amazing in real life! Such art work...!!!!

• Ariom
    Options

Barbe, the lady who made it is a Wedding Cake maker. The detailing was amazing and the only part that wasn't edible was the feet, which were solid icing sugar. The inside was perfection, with 4 layers and the 2 different cakes, Double Chocolate Mud Cake and White Chocolate cake with a raspberry ganashe. It was really something!

• socallisa
    Options

YummyHappy

• socallisa
    Options

lyz..what kind of a monkey was that...I just loved it..

growing up flamingo

• barbe1958
    Options

I learned a lot about flamingoes when we were on Bonaire. They are born gray, as you can see. They consume a lot of salt and there is a gland under their eye area (or somewhere like that) that does something with the salt and they start to go pink. Why pink? Of all colours....???

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    Options

dunno, but they sure are cool looking!!

• socallisa
    Options

the mother behind the baby is sitting on an egg

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Lisa, I am glad they turn pink too. They are beautiful and those babies are so cute with those funny tiny little wings. 

My little guy is a swamp or DeBrazzas monkey. Had to check him out as its a while since I took him. He has some nice ginger hair but I liked him better in B&W  as his hair is kinda distracting from his eyes!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

Barbe - I always heard that flamingos are pink because of what they eat. Professor Google just confirmed that:

Flamingos are pink or orange or white depending on what they eat. Flamingos eat algae and crustaceans that contain pigments called carotenoids. For the most part, these pigments are found in the brine shrimp and blue-green algae that the birds eat. Enzymes in the liver break down the carotenoids into the pink and orange pigment molecules deposited in the feathers, bill, and legs of the flamingos. Flamingos that eat mostly algae are more deeply colored than birds that eat the small animals that feed off of algae. Captive flamingos are feed a special diet that includes prawns (a pigmented crustacean) or additives such as beta-carotene or canthaxanthin, otherwise they would be white or pale pink. Young flamingos have gray plumage that changes color according to their diet.

• barbe1958
    Options

Thanks, Blessings, but that made me search until I found out about the eye gland!! I learned about the flamingoes in Bonaire in 1996 or so...

Since flamingos usually live in areas with salt water, they have to excrete the salt they may consume when they are drinking water. Flamingos do this by excreting the salt through salt glands that are in their skull right above their eyes, and these glands drain out to the nasal cavity and out the nostrils

• socallisa
    Options

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Lisa, They are beautiful. I am usually envious of the wonderful flowers
    that grow in the warmer areas! I was so excited this week though as 3 years ago
    (at least) I planted 2 tiny hibiscus that were supposed to be hardy in
    cold weather. Well I never saw them again.. BUT at the end of last
    year I saw something that looked like it may be one but it never
    flowered. Last week I saw a spot of color and found a 3ft high hibiscus about to bloom although
    bugs had eaten all the leaves. I was thrilled and there are more blooms coming. I guess gardening rewards the patient!!

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Took this yesterday of one of the goats at the local dairy farm. They are very friendly and have their own little area with a house. They get lots of attention as many families come visit as they sell the best ice cream in the area and have a weekly farmers market.

• socallisa
    Options

we have problems with white flies on our hibiscus. 

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Next year I will spray! This year I let just about everything slide. Never filled the planters on the deck at all. Feel like I am just about starting to get back to normal.

• socallisa
    Options

pretty moon out tonight..

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    Options

just want to say thank you to everyone. I feel as if I'm traveling the world with all these pictures. It's an opportunity that I wouldn't have financially so this thread is a real treat

• socallisa
    Options

Bruges

• lyzzysmom
    Options

Beautiful. Somewhere I have never been. 

These are a couple of Niagara Falls and one from a trip back to England

London Eye and Thames from the Embankment.

• socallisa
    Options

Love the falls