Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

anyone using essential oils for cancer?

Options

Comments

• Nancy618
    Nancy618 Member Posts: 318
    edited December 2018
    Options

Another good company is Edens Garden. I stay far away from Young Living, as they promote unsafe usage of essentials oils. I follow the Tisserand Institute for their guidance using essential oils.

• HEALwithKas
    HEALwithKas Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi all,

I'm a nutritional therapist and have been studying health/diet/nutrition/etc for a long time, including essential oils, and breast cancer. Thought you might find the following journal article helpful in this thread:

Essential Oils and Their Constituents as Anticancer Agents: A Mechanistic View
    Biomed Res Int. 2014; 2014: 154106

If you google it you should be able to find the link and read it all online. It is generally recommended to consult with your Dr/oncologist before making significant changes to diet/lifestyle/supplements/etc.

Please note that use of essential oils is only one of many things one can do to fight cancer and/or reduce recurrence risk. If anyone would like further information feel free to message me, however a good place to start is the website NutritionFacts by Dr Michael Greger.

• Evalynn
    Evalynn Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2019
    Options

I was curious to how you are doing and if essential oils work

• Evalynn
    edited March 2019
    Options

I was wondering if you still use essential oils ? Do they workabd what kind do you use and how

• Evalynn
    edited March 2019
    Options

What essential oils do you use

• Evalynn
    edited March 2019
    Options

what essential oils can I take for er+pr+hr2- breast cancer

• Nancy618
    edited March 2019
    Options

Evalyn who are you addressing your questions to? The person who started this topic did so in 2014. I'm guessing she doesn't read it anymore.

One of your questions is what to essential oils to "take." This infers ingestion... EOs shouldn't be taken internally unless under the direct supervision of a doctor or certified aromatherapist.

There is information out there, but so much of it is not good information. That's the problem with the internet. It's difficult to know who or what is reputable. My only suggestion would be to check out the Tisserand Institute. Lots of good and reputable information there.

• MagicalBean
    MagicalBean Member Posts: 192
    edited March 2019
    Options

Essential oils are a wonderful mood booster, among other things. But the quality is all over the map since there is no regulation. For example, 90% of all lavender sold in the U.S. is primarily synthetic. Do your research and ask lots of questions. As far as ingestion goes, be very careful. I use Young Living because they have a line of oils which may be taken internally and are labeled as such. Remember, you get what you pay for. A 5.00 bottle of EO will most likely be synthetic substances with a bit of perfume added.

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited March 2019
    Options

Evelyn, essential oils can be beneficial if used properly. Do NOT ingest; oils can be massaged into bottoms of feet when used with a carrier oil. Applying oils to your skin can harm you ifyou use them “neat”. I have used Young Living, but currently using Plant Therapy. Their oils are good and not as costly as YL. I diffuse a lot, and feel the oils have helped me immensely. Good luck with your research

• Nancy618
    edited March 2019
    Options

Magical Bean are you aware that the only difference between Young Living regular essential oils and those labeled as ingestable is the label? They are the SAME oils. They just had to get around the FDA requirements and put a separate label on those they sell for ingestion. NO oils are safe to ingest, particularly putting them in water, as YL advocates. Oil and water don't mix. Essential oils are HIGHLY concentrated and can cause a lot of damage if misused.

The reason YL has highly priced oils is because they are a MLM company. Everyone up the ladder from you has to be paid. YL oils aren't better than many other oils. In fact, they've flunked 3rd party testing. It's all a Google away.

I recommend doing research and using a company that is totally transparent and doesn't advocate unsafe usage like ingestion and undiluted topical application.

• marciam
    marciam Member Posts: 84
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hello

I've used CBD oil for my seizures now for 6 years. I order Charlotte's web from colorado. MY CA 15 score went down from 5 to 2.8 recently after also adding THC oil . I had a bad case of shingles, terrible pain, so I used the THC oil. I have the mmj license in my state and viola! I'M off aramidex and using no drugs at all, still Mets free . I strongly support more research into Medical MMJ. As ll I strongly feel Frankincense is very effective in preventing reoccurrence on teh breast. Both these oils were used for my seizures due to a brain tumor but ended up helping everything. We need to get more research out there but any of you ladies might benefit from more Essential oils and CBD oil! You can find small studies on NIH, and also look on You tube, but use discernment. the Medical industry has no real interest in natural alternatives because they are tied into big Pharma . I could not wait for research to confirm, I had to act. Now cancer free, formerly brain mets, now free for 7+ years! Im qutie disabled in my right hand forgive typos.

blessings
    Marcia

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited April 2019
    Options

hi marcia! What MM do you use? I have a MM card too here in PA and have been testing out different types such as THC:CBD ratios, ways of administration (vape vs flower vs oil vs inhaling vs ingestion). I’m not able to function on any THC during the day because I get buzzed and feel a bit anxious with my work that I do - I want to be as clearheaded as possible.

Thanks and congrats on your 7 yrs out from brain Mets! That is incredible!!!

• Nancy618
    edited May 2019
    Options

Congratulation Marcia! Yes, more research and more education

• 53nancy
    edited May 2019
    Options

Congratulations, Marcia, on doing so well. I have heard that medical marijuana is finally being allowed in Canada but hard to get. As far as bringing CBD oil into Canada, I have read articles that one would run the risk of arrest.

Nancy618,I have also found a new company called REVIVE Essential Oils, and am amazed at how much like YL they are from the reviews I've read.; the only thing I order from YL now is Sulfurzyme. REVIVE's version of YL Valor is called Courage, and it smells just the same, and is just as effective for dealing with pain. It is $22.00 US for 10 ml, with free shipping. YL Valor is $100.00 CAN wholesale for 15 ml. The other one I have tried is Sleep, also around $20.00, and it has helped me a lot. I am looking forward to trying moreof their oils

• Nancy618
    edited May 2019
    Options

I'm a HUGE advocate of Edens Garden essential oils. It's a woman owned company, transparent, follow the Tisserand Institute recommendations for safe use, extensive information on every oil they sell, reasonable prices and free shipping. Above all, no MLM baloney. They have an equivalent to Valor called Align, which is $13.95.

https://www.essentialoilhaven.com/edens-garden-essential-oils-review/

Gere is a chart with equivalents between Edens Garden, doTerra and Young Living.

https://pin.it/pqdst5hgmhah4i

• 53nancy
    edited May 2019
    Options

Thank you Nancy618. I had tried Edens Oils when I first started using oils and did not like their smell. I will look at trying their equivalent of Valor. I do not think REVIVE is a MLM company

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited May 2019
    Options

Does anyone have a suggestion for relief of chemo induced rash? The itch is driving me crazy. I’ve tried all the usual topicals as well as benadry. Nothing is helping.

• 53nancy
    edited May 2019
    Options

Firni, Not sure if this will help, but I find adding lavender essential oil to a mix of epsom salts and baking soda helps me with itches from allergies, bearing in mind that I did not do chemo. Good luck.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi Marcia

How much CBD/TLC oil did you use in a day please? Did you mix it with anything?

Did you take it once a day or twice,?

• hopedreams
    hopedreams Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2019
    Options

HI AGAIN LILLY.. I DID TRY THE CBD OIL.. TO PUT UNDER TONGUE 2 TIMES A DAY.. 1 DROP FOR FIRST WEEK..THEN I BELIEVE IT WAS 2 DROPS AFTER..BUT I STOPPED USING IT.. SINCE IT MADE ME EXTREMELY SLEEPY DURING THE DAY.. I BOUGHT IT FROM A REPUTIBLE CANCER YOGA CENTER. WAS $35.00 FOR A SMALL BOTTLE. I BOUGHT IT FOR ALL OF MY ACHES & PAINS..AND INSOMNIA.. BUT DIDNT WORK OUT FOR ME.. YOU CAN TRY IT..BUT MAKE SURE YOU BUY IT FROM A REPUTIBLE PLACE.. SINCE ITS NOW SOLD ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND i WOULDNT TRUST THOSE SITES.. ~HOPE

• Nancy618
    edited June 2019
    Options

Firni, I wouldn't use essential oils on a chemo rash. Essential oils need to be diluted to be safe, and shouldn't be used on open skin. Have you tried cornstarch on your rash? That and Cortisone 10 were the only things that worked for me on radiation rash. Chemo rash may be different.

• 53nancy
    edited July 2019
    Options

Fimi, Nancy618, I apologize. I forgot to say that when I mixed lavender ess oil with baking soda and epsom salts, I added to a tub of water.

• casm
    casm Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2019
    Options

I also enjoy Eden's Garden EO's. I started using EO after listening to and reading a book by Dr. Mariza Snyder (Essential Oil Hormone Solution). Also, I learned a breast detox method that I plan on doing quarterly from a podcast "Breast Cancer Conqueror" Dr. V and episode 52 with Sandra Pascal (minute 20:01 Sandra starts the EO discussion). Quarterly for 30 days use 2 drops each of grapefruit/franckincense with a carrier oil of choice and massage into and around breasts before bed. I use sweet almond, jojoba or fractionated coconut oil as my carrier oil. I put a little in my hand add the drops then massage. Easy peasy. When I first started using I had a headache for the first 3-4 days but it went away about a week into it. So to me it was working and getting rid of toxins. I also use roller ball and diffuser blends that I put together from Dr. Mariza. Love!

• 53nancy
    edited August 2019
    Options

CasM, I wonder if you have a link to that podcast. I have been using oils on my feet. Actually having a good summer, and able to do so much more than the last two years. I have been canning the last few days, but am ever mindful of taking care of my body. All the best to you

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited September 2019
    Options

I add a drop of Juniper oil to my daily moisturizer. I also drink Juniper tea.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1756464619303044

• JACK5IE
    edited January 2020
    Options

Is anyone still interested in this thread? If so, I have a couple of questions for those of you who are pretty educated on EO's. First, does anyone have a complete list of the EO's that are considered estrogenic? Also, are EO's that are already in products like moisturizers considered as potent and not be used if they are on the estrogenic list? Thank you in advance for any help on this. I thought I had it finally figured out but I keep seeing conflicting information.

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited January 2020
    Options

Jackie, I've posted this link before but think it could be repeated. Sloan Kettering has a comprehensive list of herbs, oils, etc. that is keyword searchable. If you just search on the word "oil" you will get all types. If you then select one oil that interests you, you can click on a number of specific details including warnings, interactions, uses, etc. for patients, doctors.

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs/search?keys=pil&letter=

• JACK5IE
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thank you ceanna. I am familiar with that site but it doesn't seem to have all the essential oils out there. But thanks for the tip of just using the search word 'oil'. I didn't know that and that has helped.

• blah333
    blah333 Member Posts: 68
    edited January 2020
    Options

I am not sure about essential oils fighting cancer but - putting essential oils in carrier oils and using them on your skin is GREAT for post-surgical healing, and possibly even lymphedema, and stimulating the lymphatic system. I did not have radiation, but I'm sure some oils would help the skin heal from that or if you have dry skin due to chemo.

I was having some rib pain (possibly costochondritis) and someone suggested peppermint essential oil. I usually mix it with castor oil/almond oil and put that on my chest. It is very refreshing. I have been trying to learn of other essential oils that help the lymphatic system.

I just reordered some carrier oils and am trying some new ones, I will have a pump bottle for my body (arms/legs/rear/back), one for my chest/armpit areas, and one for my face. Essential oils applied topically in carrier oils can also improve the appearance of your face/wrinkles. PLUS it's winter right now - great for dry skin. Right now I am into apricot oil, the smell of grapefruit oil is appealing to me and supposedly helps circulation/lymph, I'm not sure.

I also like taking epsom salt baths but I drip some of the grapefruit/lavender/peppermint onto the salts before putting them in the water. It's soothing and cooling.

I used to have a list of the essential oils that helped me with scar healing. Castor oil became a favorite, that and kinesio tape.

I have never consumed essential oils, however. But using them can definitely make your body feel better, make your skin smooth, be soothing, elevate your mood a little, the skin is our largest organ; it feels nice to "pamper" myself a little. Buying carrier oils and essential oils and mixing them in basic pump bottles has been WAY better than buying readymade lotions from the store.

EDIT - I just read that lavender (and grapefruit?) maybe should be avoided for women who have had estrogen positive cancers? that stinks. I switched from those white aluminum deodorants to a lavender type spray for the past two years, thought I was helping myself but dang. Don't think I will change my habits right now though...

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2020
    Options

JACK5IE - See posts on this page & earlier by Nancy618. Also, suggest you go to tisserandinstitute.org (Tisserand Institute, which Nancy618 uses) for some good info, safety precautions, etc. Our Cancer Support Community has an Aromatherapy class I attend twice a month. I can ask our teacher for reference books that may help & let you know.