Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

STEAM ROOM FOR ANGER

Options

Comments

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    Options

ctmbsikia glad you are feeling better

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165
    Options

So annoyed with myself and life at this moment I got a rather nice end of the year bounce at work and I spend it (Christmas gifts, other things for myself which can only be described as unnecessary ). Check engine light went off in the car so now getting that checked out, heat which we thought was fixed is out again in the house and one or two other annoying issues have popped up in the last week. I can’t undo that I spend the money but considering I only get paid once a month I should have waited on the non Christmas items since I know December is always a tight month. So annoyed at myself but also annoyed that I can’t seem to catch a break (and then I get annoyed at myself again for being annoyed ). Oh and because one of my diabetes meds has become the hot drug for people to get prescribed off-label for Weight loss I couldn’t get my three month supply this month while it would still cost me next to nothing because of my deductible being met so come Jan it’s back to 900 a month. Thank you for just letting me vent for a moment. (We have some space heaters so we are able to get the house warmed up a bit but I’m dreading the possibility of this being a major repair and I just don’t know how we will swing another big financial hit

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,308
    Options

Hey Quietgirl - I'm real sorry that you are in this situation, and while I have no solutions to offer, I just want you to know "I've been there" and "I get it". Life really throws stuff at us sometimes and we just have to deal with it as best we can.

That said, I do hope you have as Merriest a Christmas as possible, and appreciate those things you can appreciate during such a rough time. My best to you and yours for Christmas and a Happy New Year too!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,610
    Options

It really fries me that people who NNED a diabetes drug can't get it, because people who DON'T need it are using it for weight loss! It's not right!!!

• bcincolorado
    Options

Agree. DH is diabetic and he complains all the time about those commercials where people are complaining about poking their fingers. He says they are so numb from pokes he does not even really feel it any more much at all. I am thankful he is a vet and gets his meds from there since even with Medicare hehe was hitting the "donut hole" in 2 months. With VA he pays a small co-pay with his but it is minimal comparatively.

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    Options

I find myself talking to the refrigerator saying, "Don't you quit on me!" It makes some really weird noises and it's got to be close to 30 years old. When the washer went after my husband died, I went to the mom-and-pop 2nd hand store and bought one for $195. It's a Maytag and so far it's doing an OK job.

I just spent $85. on a filet so my grocery bill was over $200 and the liquor store was $150. The rest of my bonus will go to buying fuel oil! Ugh. My theory is you can't take this money with you, it's Ok to live once in a while, and somehow things will work out when there's a need. Don't beat yourself up too bad quietgirl.

Here's wishing everyone a happy holiday. It's going to be brutal cold here as well as much of the US and Canada. Peace be with you. Stay warm.

• bluesfan4life
    bluesfan4life Member Posts: 22
    Options

I am so glad that I found this thread because I so desperately need to rant. I was just diagnosed HER2+ for the second time. My original DX of IDC and DCIS was in 2017, and I did all of the right things - chemo, radiation, immunotherapy. The tumor shrunk to nothing but I still had a lumpectomy. In less than 3 years I had a second diagnosis of DCIS. Even though it was stage 0, I opted for DMX. I went through two years of reconstruction surgeries (DIEP-FLAP) and here I am again with HER2+ IDC.

I'm so tired!

I am single, never married, have my own law practice, and I feel completely betrayed and abandoned. I'm a woman of faith, but I am feeling like Christ on the cross, forsaken by God.

I am 53 years old. I don't have the benefit of a husband who can pay my bills while I'm home sick or a group medical plan or disability benefits.

It took everything in me to work full time when I went through the first year of treatment, and I was energetic and hopeful when that all started. Now, after 6 chemo treatments, 33 radiation treatments, a year of immunotherapy, umpteen surgeries, including a lumpectomy, mastectomy, and 3 reconstruction surgeries, a broken leg, back surgery to alleviate pain due to degenerative spine disease and 4 bulging discs, covid, 2 months of bronchitis, hypercalcemia, and a parathyroidectomy, the idea of facing chemo and surgery and trying to keep my practice running so that I can pay my bills is so overwhelming that I can't even process it.

I am a planner, and right now I have no idea where to even start on a plan. The last 6 years have brutalized me to the point of inaction.

I am just so. tired. of everything.

• sunshine99
    Options

Oh, Dawn, I wish I had a perfect response for you. I'm so very sorry for all you are going through. Come on over to the "Thread for middled-age to older Christian women" (or something like that). We have no perfect answers, but you'll find women of faith there and lots of support. This site has been wonderful for support for me. I hope you find the same in the midst of all this craziness!

(((hugs)))

Carol

Here is the link: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/104/topic...

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 887
    Options

Dawn, I'm so sorry that you find yourself in this predicament. Is there another lawyer who could (even temporarily or part time) help with your business such as one who is retired, currently home with the family, or in another solo/small practice? Is it time to go in with a firm which would lessen your independence and possibly your income but would give you more flexibility to deal with your health issues? Taking a loan from your retirement account is not the best financial move but is an option to help you get by. After all the medical problems of the past six years I don't blame you for feeling defeated. Here's hoping that after getting the frustration out you can figure out a way to deal with this. Best wishes going forward. Know that there will be many followers of this thread rooting for you.

• bluesfan4life
    Options

Carol, thank you for the recommendation. I will check it out.

• bluesfan4life
    Options

Thank you Maggie. I have a fairly specialized practice, so finding a replacement part-time or full-time is difficult. And no firm would want to pay me just to go on medical leave. Working for yourself is fabulous until it isn't. 😕 I will just have to find a way...

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    Options

ok, coughing tourist rant.("you" meaning "one", not personally someone here) Masking isn't about you. In a crowded place, ie my hometown nyc, your coughing maskless on my bus with 70 passangers is a problem. Even if I don't get it today from you because my kn95 worked, you just spread it to my neighbors, who may spread it unknowingly because they are asymptomatic or pre-symptoms.

Am home recovering from DEIP surgery. 1st 4 days in the hospital, next 7 pretty helpless at home. Then COVID!!!! How??? Other than trips to hospital for presurgical covid exam, the surgery, and a post surgical appointment, I didn't leave my apt for a month!!!! And when I go out, I mask. My family tested negative regularly. One of the unmasked cab drivers? The unmasked coughing girl who got on my elevator in one of my 3 trips? Who knows.

I just wish that all those unmasked coughing people spreading Upper respiratory illnesses from their hometowns would get a belly and chest full of stitches and THEN try the covid coughing.

If you are coughing, put on a mask before going into a crowded space. Especially when its one locals can't avoid, like transportation or grocery stores.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,089
    Options

Amen Dancemom.

• sunshine99
    Options

Oh, Dancemom, I totally agree with you! I had COVID and was in the hospital for a couple of days with a fever. I can't imagine coughing with DIEP stitches. I hope you're feeling better very soon.

(masked) (((hugs)))

Carol

• bcincolorado
    Options

oh dancemom that is terrible. We are staying away from eyeryone if we can no matter what. Terrible to feel so trapped but do not trust anyone anymore and feel like can't go anywhere or do anything safely anymore. We stay holed up all the time.

• ctmbsikia
    Options

Happy New Year Steam Room!

Sorry to hear about sickness. I was lucky and got the Covid in early December, so was doing better by Christmas. I still have a slight cough, and yesterday found myself short of breath which is unusual for me. I was cleaning up from a New Year's brunch and 1pm football game and was up and down the steps a lot I guess. Kept having to take breaks.

I really want to tell my in laws (hubby's siblings) that I'm not even going to bother next year. One of them stayed for under an hour, the other one said oh we go to eat and to the grocery store every Sunday-HE FORGOT. ((His brother had been cooking holiday breakfast for close to 20 years!)) It was a holiday was it not? Are you that regimented you can't eat anyplace else on a Sunday? My God they are all getting crazier by the day. Another 2 just didn't show at all. There's one way to upset an Italian by not eating anything!!! I was glad I had a few other friends over and watching the game is always fun, even though we lost-eh. With all the sickness going around that could have had something to do with it too. It was a much smaller than usual gathering. I brought some leftovers into the office so at least I won't end up tossing it.

I give myself to Jan 15th to get all the decorations put away. I'm too old to get it all done in a day.

Labs and MO appt. later this month.

• sunshine99
    Options

ctm, families can be whacky, right? Sometimes it's a relief when one or more of them don't show up for something. Sorry your team lost. We watched a couple of games. The USC game was game was crazy close. We watched part of the Rose Bowl game yesterday. We left my dad's house before it was over, but I checked the score on my phone app and saw that PSU won.

I just did a quick Google search on "whacky" vs "wacky" and here's what I found:

"whacky / wacky Although the original spelling of this word meaning "crazy" was "whacky," the current dominant spelling is "wacky." If you use the older form, some readers will think you've made a spelling error."

Personally, I prefer whack-a-doodle.

• bcincolorado
    Options

ctmbiskia the crazies my family pretty much live in another State and we only communicate by email mainly which is about all I can handle. No way could I be around any of them. Anyone who lives in the area at all from us is multi vaccinated and know of the health issues we face and are careful about that at least. Helps I think that DIL is an RN in an oncology charge nurse.

Spent New Year's at the ER with DH for hours there. We were just glad they did send him home and did not keep him overnight but still not fun. All he did was worry about the cost though the whole time we were there. Sad it is such a worry for care here.

• ctmbsikia
    Options

I did something really dumb. I was on the phone catching up with a good friend the other night, it was over an hour-long conversation, and I think I took my night meds twice. The statin, gerd med, and the little white pill! Ouch. I tolerate this AI pretty well, but my left hand, shoulder, knee and ankle are aching more than my usual. So noticeable that is why I think I made this error. I broke out the pillbox now, so this hopefully won't happen again. I totally skipped taking anything last evening, drinking some water, and moving to try and get this out of my system. Should I take one more night off?

Turning the calendar started the appointment anxiety, which isn't as bad as it once was, but as you can tell, I think about breast cancer a lot. It could be the 5 yr. thing too. Hope you don't mind me writing down my thoughts of how this year might go. When I last saw the SO I left with the MRI order but no next appt. time. We spoke about the expense burden, and she was OK if I did an MRI every other year. I woke up the other morning remembering this conversation, so it was like a revelation to do just that. Skip this test and use the money for a vacation or something fun! It is a little much seeing both surgical oncology and medical oncology every 6 months. I will discuss with MO on the 25th. Next appt (July) with MO will be 5 yrs. of taking the AI. Do I stop this therapy, do another 2 years, see if my insurance will cover the BCI test? I did the CT5 something online calculator and it came up high risk. What bothers me is the unknown. My tumor was 4 cm with 1 micromet. ER+, PR+, Her2-. With these stats I feel the AI is my best defense against this disease returning in later years when I could be in my 70's. Anyway, that's the information I have spinning around in my head.

• bcincolorado
    Options

Oh ctmbiskia I think you need to talk to your MO about the costs and they may have some resource to help with costs you do not know about. I know the hospital system here has a foundation to help people who have trouble with bills and their care and you need to make sure you doing what is bests for your health as well.

I know there are no easy answers with medical care it seems. You put it off it gets worse and costs more in the long run.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

ctmb, I complained about the cost of prolia and the office hooked me up with the drug company to get a rebate. Idk if this works with tests and things, Just throwing this out there.

• bcincolorado
    Options

Worth a shot ctmb. I know at my MO office they have someone who has recourses for all kinds of assistance in costs for tests and may have ideas in your area specific there as well. Best wishes.

• ctmbsikia
    Options

So why are these co-pays and high deductibles we're being billed for be almost cut in half when your bill gets sent to collections?

Did I just find a silver lining? My last MRI was Mar of 22 and I had a $700.00 balance and today I was offered a settlement @ a 45% discount.so I saved a little over $300. Since I was diagnosed in December and had the surgery and treatment in the following year, the bills were high, and I did the same thing back then. I paid a onetime discounted cost almost 2 years after the fact. The rest of the time on this "journey" I did my best to pay as I go. So, if you have a 3500. deductible just don't pay and if they offer you a settlement at 45%, then really your deductible is more like 1925.00.

I'd sooner not incur the costs at all, which is why I will be contacting my SO and skipping the MRI this spring. Not doing it. Cheaper for me to stay on the AI then do this expensive imaging.

• bcincolorado
    Options

The cost of an MRI is crazy expensive. You know those machines are paid for at this point and they can't cost that much to operate them and sure are not paying those staff all that much money. Cancer is terrible no matter where it hits you.

• ctmbsikia
    Options

Hi bcincolorado, hope you are doing well today. Do you have snow? We have had zero this winter. Rain, rain and more rain. It is nicer today with no rain the forecast for several days.

Saw the MO yesterday and he noted my concerns on possibly staying on the AI longer than 5 yrs. which will be up in July, so we'll see. He also said it was reasonable for me to not do an MRI this year and he would be able to write the mammogram order for me at my July appt. since I don't have a next appt. with the SO office. Got shot up with some Prolia. Yea! Finally looking forward to several months off now from any sort of dealing about breast cancer. Yes. Nothing to vent about today. I am glad he listened to me and I was in and out in 30 minutes flat!!!

• bcincolorado
    Options

Hi

I am hanging in there. We have had snow off and on and daughter who lives 3 hours north in Wyoming has had a LOT more than we have though. We are getting super cold though and think one day is going to have a "high" of 12 maybe Monday.

Dear friend is having huge cancer surgery today and waiting to hear from her husband. It has spread and having out part of her intestine, appendeix spleen, gallballder, and a total hysterectomy as well. Doing chemo on the table somewhow they inplant in her and then sew her up and it sits for a bit and then open her back up and take it out and then do the whole stich up and then a few days in ICU while they flush it all out of her before she can go on the floor for a few days before going home. Cutting her totally open. Hate cancer.

• sunshine99
    Options

Oh, bc, that's awful. I'm so sorry for your friend and her husband!

• bcincolorado
    Options

Did hear she made it through surgery but it took longer than expected. Still in ICU. Told her before surgry knew she would need rest and even though she said I could fib and say I am family since we are like family I know I felt and knew out of it I was and on pain meds. Said we would wait until she is moved to the floor to visit.

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165
    Options

DH got laid off. Obviously there is never good timing for this. I’m just annoyed how much time I spend crunching numbers in the fall so I picked the best combination of health plan from his and mind and switched prescriptions etc and 6 weeks into the new year and yuck. Yes absolutely lucky that I can move us to my plan but money already spend so far this year while not tons is still on a deductible that is meaningless. And having to move some appointments around to make sure everything is covered. Minor minor things compared to the whole job loss but just trying to make sure I deal with all of them so he can focus on what he needs to (plus got news that a medical study I was signed up to be part and get some free dental services plus cash on the side that I was suppose to start next week was suddenly closed. The extra cash would have been helpful). I feel like i jinxed myself because yesterday I was saying no matter what happens this month it has to be better than last Feb

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

quietgirl, I'm so sorry. There's so much peripheral and collateral damage that comes with a job loss. I hope he's able to find another job soon.