Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• everymoment
    everymoment Member Posts: 6,656
    edited June 2016

Onco: Many years ago I did some art therapy work and found I could tap into feelings and memories that I did not have access to in my verbal therapy. A good art therapist weaves both art and talk together.

• Birdysmom
    Birdysmom Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2016

Something like art therapy (but not "officially" art therapy) helped me get through chemo- adult coloring books. I used to scoff at the idea (kid's stuff, right?), but not anymore! It helped me so much, I made my own and published it on Amazon. Part of the proceeds go toward creating care packages for cancer patients.

I don't want to appear advertisey, but the link to my personal website is: http://www.riseofcourage.com/living-with-cancer-bl...

You can see more images from the book, the art is hand drawn scenes of actual pets and people, and fantasy.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited July 2016

Birdysmom, Those are great!

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited July 2016

Beautiful!

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited July 2016

Birdysmom, delightful.

I love that "Angel dog".

Nerdy

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited July 2016

Awesome, love the dog with the angel wings.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2016

thats awesome!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2016

my latest crochet ptoject for a friend.

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269
    edited July 2016

It's gorgeous Moonflwr912. Your friend is very fortunate to receive it.

• feelingfeline
    edited July 2016

Nerdy

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited July 2016

Beautiful baby blanket!!!

• Birdysmom
    edited July 2016

Inspirational creative music video project. "Fight Back" survive cancer, kick it's a$$. An uplifting, (but serious), music video

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited July 2016

Beautiful Moonflower & Birdysmom.

Here's my latest (and favorite so far) cog for my La Passacaglia quilt.

• everymoment
    edited July 2016

Birdysmom: I am glad I checked in here this morning and found your energizing video. I am much older than you and recall when there were no video expressions about breast cancer and barely any words describing the experience. Andre Lord wrote her Cancer Journals in 1980 and Matuschka's photograph of her double mastectomy appeared on the cover of the New York Times Magazine in 1993 and raised such controversy. There is an excellent historical wide angle article about breast cancer activism covering scientific, political, artistic and philosophical perspectives.

Thank you for your contribution to the lived experience of breast cancer.

Here is the link.

Historical perspective of Breast Cancer

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329867...

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited July 2016

Birdysmom, WOW! Did you make that video? Is that you? Just WOW!

I was personally especially happy to see the tiger.

The tiger has been my totem animal on this journey.

Nerdy

• barbe1958
    edited July 2016

Melissa, I LOVE that block!!! Is it paper-piecing or are you that good now??? I mean, it's gorgeous!!!

• melissadallas
    edited July 2016

Barbe, it is paper piecing. (I still can't sew a straight seam on the machine:

• barbe1958
    edited July 2016

You've come a long way, baby!!!! I love the pattern, who's is it??

• melissadallas
    edited July 2016

She has a couple of books. They are sometimes hard to find. Paperpieces.com has sets of acrylic templates and the precut papers for a couple of her quilts. I have spent a ridiculous amout of money on all of this

• barbe1958
    edited July 2016

Don't call it ridiculous! You'd have been out shopping for something else (shoes?) if not fabric, books and patterns! You are creating something beautiful which helps heal your soul.....

• barbe1958
    edited July 2016

I just checked Amazon and they don't carry that book! I see it's available in the UK with ridiculous pricing. Where did you get yours???

• feelingfeline
    edited July 2016

Mellissa That millefiori quilt piece is beautiful, what a fabulous idea that was to bring millefiori patterns into quilts, seems like a marriage made in heaven.

Birdy's mom - wow! Loved your beautiful artwork for adult colouring also.

• melissadallas
    edited July 2016

Barbe, massdrop.com periodically offers the packages along with the book as an add-on. Paperpieces.com has it sometimes. It is one of those things where an out-of-print book became the rage and was reprinted. It is translated and in a combo of French and English. Told you it is stupid expensive! I think I paid well over $150 US for the book, templates & papers.

There is a Facebook group for La Passacaglia quilts that you must rquest membership for if you are interested. Lots of helpful info & beautiful pictures from members.

The pieces are tiny. Here is a pic of a template.

• Birdysmom
    edited July 2016

Thankyou for those great links Magiclight. Amazing how times change.

Oncowarrior, so glad you love the tiger. What an awesome totem to have! Much strength and power. I think my totem's a gecko- they jump at me at work and hang around my door. Yep, that's me in the video, showing the world that not having a boob, or recon, is acceptable

MelissaDallas, gorgeous stitch work.. holy cats! That super level of detail... That's museum quality, one-of-a-kind work. Thank you for sharing the pics and info. My hands are shaky, I'd probably poke myself with the needle if I try that now tho!

• barbe1958
    edited July 2016

Mel, do they have the papers you can sew right onto so you don't have to cut templates? Then when you attach them to each other you cut the stitches and it releases the paper for another use.

• melissadallas
    edited July 2016

Barbe, paperpieces.com has the precut papers. A lot of women (like me) use the templates in conjunction with the papers to cut the fabric to use with the papers to aid "fussy cutting," but you could use just the papers alone. They have both "starter sets" that have papers and you can reuse them several times and "complete sets" of around 6000 pieces which have enough papers for the entire quilt. I know I have seen Canadians on the Facebook page talking about sources there as well, but I can't remember where.

• everymoment
    edited July 2016

Melissa and Barbe, you both must have great patience, eagle eyes, and steady hands to mention but a few qualities needed for your art form. I get bleary eyed working a 1000 piece puzzle :)

• barbe1958
    edited July 2016

I have NO patience!! It's because I CAN control the colour, placement, pattern, etc that makes me love making WALL quilts. I've only made 3 or 4 bed quilts, and one was a king!

• barbe1958
    edited July 2016

She's Canadian!! I used to go to Kamloops for vacations when I lived in Vancouver.

• melissadallas
    edited July 2016

My book says she was born and lives in the Netherlands Barbe.

I'm pretty patient, but Magiclight, starting this paper piecing convinced me prety quickly how much past due I was for new glasses!

Thank you everyone! I am having fun with this