Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited August 2016

y'r welcome.

Nerdy

• CrawfordsMommy
    CrawfordsMommy Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2016

Self-portrait that I drew tonight.

Tomorrow is more TC chemo! Hoping for another easy-peasy cycle!

• everymoment
    everymoment Member Posts: 6,656
    edited August 2016

Crawfords, adding to your wish for an 'easy-peasy' chemo cycle. Glad you shared your self-portrait. Is that your artistic medium?

• CrawfordsMommy
    edited August 2016

Yeah, I'm a cartoonist and professional illustrator (currently on hiatus due to cancer treatment). I have worked professionally in the past. I've done some comic books and such for other people, but never written a script. Someday I'd like to draw a short GN and may stay on hiatus long enough to do one as long as chemobrain doesn't put me out of commission.

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,885
    edited August 2016

So much talent! What I have noticed is my scary diagnosis has super-charged my creativity and need for artistic outlets, I've taken to quilting, textiles, wall hangings, and furniture upholstery: apparently this spurt of a creative drive is a well-known evolutionary response to danger, a way to improve your odds of getting out of dangerous situations. So, when you recover a bit more, you may notice this, a least for me it was dramatic and seems to be persisting for a long time!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited August 2016

Well done CrawfordsMommy! What is GN?

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited August 2016

Cure-ious,

I believe that is "Art Therapy". I, too have found myself making art ever since my surgery. Painting T-shirts, watercolour painting, beading, hand-sewing, embroidery; and now I am making a quilt by hand. Love it all.

Nerdy

• QuinnCat
    QuinnCat Member Posts: 408
    edited August 2016

CrawfordsMommy - that was too good not to be from a professional! Can I ask you what medium you are using?

• CrawfordsMommy
    edited August 2016

GN is graphic novel, the "holy grail" of all cartoonists. I have one in mind but it would take years to draw. Maybe I should go for a short story first, huh? :D

My medium is Smith Micro's Clip Studio Paint EX, using custom brushes that I made, drawing on a small Wacom Intuos Pen/Touch but I disable the touch feature. It's a pretty old school setup but it works for me and is cheap (I am a cancer patient and all).

Today's cycle went easy-peasy... doc adjusted my meds and things just flowed a lot smoother... feeling much better after this infusion than the last. Hope I don't feel gnarly this weekend and next week. I think I may be getting the hang of this chemo thing. Of course if I feel bad later, I'll just marathon a bunch of cartoons and wait to feel better, haha!

• Kathrynmarie
    Kathrynmarie Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016

Lillies

• QuinnCat
    edited August 2016

Crawford'smom - I had to look those 2 things up, but not sure how they connect to each other.

• barbe1958
    edited August 2016

Beautiful lilies!!!!!

There is a poem somewhere in the ether, wish I could find it, it motivated me to be able to say "I am an artist". It goes on about not hiding your light under a bushel but sharing with others the gift that God gave you. Being too "humble" makes people uncomfortable sometimes. I believe that all attempts at art are beautiful just for the effort the artist put in!

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited August 2016

Kathryn, your flowers are gorgeous

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited August 2016

So much talent here! Just wonderful!

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited September 2016

Community Art Project in Wicklow Town! 30 People each painting one part of a picture. DS and I took part.

I am taking the photo so am not in it.

We had a choice of paint, oil pastels or chalk. I did chalk.

My canvas is in the photo above. Second row up from bottom, it is the piece second from the right, mostly orange and blue.

DS had the piece directly above mine, with lots of masts and rigging.

Below is the finished picture with every canvas in. Pretty amazing how well they match up when put together.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited September 2016

FF, Did they draw the design on a big piece of paper and then cut it up?

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2016

No there was a big photo that was cut up into 30 equal pieces and then you each had to paint/pastel/chalk a rendition of your bit of the photo.

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2016

this is DS working on his piece

• QuinnCat
    edited September 2016

that's an interesting way to do a group paint feeling feline!! How much fun is that!

Well, I'm giving up on watercolor for now and taking oil painting lessons. This teacher is so good, it is said he can teach a monkey to paint!

My first and second (in progress) paintings. Only B&W for now.

It is so much easier than watercolor!!! Though I get a little queasy with "what am i breathing?"

I hope to do a forgery of this by spring (for the atelier's annual forgery show). Flaming June:

Yes, I have big ambitions, but I am so impressed with what this guy's students produce after only months of painting under him

• QuinnCat
    edited September 2016

feelingfeline- just now I noticed a similar project (in WC) posted by Tom Ward in Facebook:

"A fun project from my August watercolour class where everyone painted a section from a landscape photo of Blue Rock"

Where have I been? I think this is in the UK, though. FF - you are in the UK, right?

• wren44
    edited September 2016

QuinnCat, Ask your teacher about water soluable oil paint. I think it has a lot less of the smell and you don't need anything but water to clean up.

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2016

Hi QuinnCat I'm in Ireland right next door to UK and bordering part of the UK (Northern Ireland).

That watercolour group project you found looks great! Flaming June is a fabulous aspiration. Love the Pre-Rapaelites! Nice to paint something that you really want to paint. Your monochrome light and shade look super. I have always been more of an ink and pencil (tighter, more controlled media) sort. Nearly had a heart stop when I saw the group project was mostly painting! Chose chalk as the least splodgy! I am in awe of people who can paint.

Nerdy

• barbe1958
    edited September 2016

That's oil? Looks more like chalk- you have GREAT control!!!!

I have a huge copy (42x42") of that lady in orange that faces me every time I enter the house! I love that print.....

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    edited September 2016

I am in awe of visual artists. I never got past stick figures.

I just finished joining and edging this crochet afghan. (I still have to weave in all the tails on the back.)

Here's a detailed look at the joining and edging. This is the first time I used single crochet (rather than whip stitch) to join, which creates a "window pane" effect. I used three shades of green in the border.

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2016

ThumbsUpNerdy

Great work, I remember you posting pics on some thread when it was just a few unconnected floral squares. You have done so much since. Lovely to see the finished (or you say almost finished) piece.

Smile

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    edited September 2016

I had originally posted the rose granny squares on Rosevalley's thread. I just now posted for her the finished product.

• YayaHelen1920
    YayaHelen1920 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2016

imageimageHi everybody...I'm new to the forum. While I do not have cancer, nearly every female in my family has either beaten it or been taken from us too soon because of it. My maternal grandmother's story is amazing. She was diagnosed with BC at age 39 in the 1950s. She had a radical mastectomy, was terribly over-radiated and lost complete use of her left shoulder, arm and hand. It should have all been amputated. However, even though she was a chef and was left-handed, she never complained once. Ever. Instead, she would use her right hand to lift her left hand onto the carrot she was chopping just so she could hold it in place. She cut herself more times that I can tell her. She even caught on fire and didn't know it because her arm and hand were numb. Still never a complaint. I've always wanted to do more than just run a race in her honor (I do every year and the first year, my bib number was the last four digits of her phone number in order...I kid you not). As a way to be involved in October being breast cancer awareness month, my dad and I created breast cancer awareness note cards/stationery for the Etsy shop (The Enchanted Envelope) that we own. I thought maybe this would be a great place to tell you all about them. Maybe they will help provide encouragement to someone who is fighting this battle. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions. My name is Mandy.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited September 2016

jeez! Sorry I missed it!

• Muffy777
    Muffy777 Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2016
    ive been an artist for 32 years here's a few samples of my work. I do canvas but mostly murals

• wren44
    edited November 2016

I'll PM you my address. Nice work.