Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited June 2017

ThumbsUpNerdy Well done Quinn! What an honour. Will you get a chance to go to see it in NYC?

(Ever tried banknotes? Winking)

• QuinnCat
    QuinnCat Member Posts: 408
    edited June 2017

FF - no, I'm not going. My art teacher and his partner are going. I'm so happy for him, for both of them (they also run the art store in town). We are so lucky to have this guy in our little town, but he's not about $ and he loves to teach. Honestly, I think what he does, how good he is, could not be found anywhere on the West Coast (I've looked!). This is his web site: Artroster.com A testament to the teacher and student....this was my former coworker's second painting (2nd forgery...less than 6 months in studio): Jacques-Louis David though his Rembrandt forgery (just incredible) was chosen (not on the web site). Not a forgery, but this student has been with atelier a few years...love this one! Tibetan Woman As my teacher says - he can teach a monkey to paint. I believe it.

• QuinnCat
    edited June 2017

What are "banknotes?"

• mike3121
    mike3121 Member Posts: 280
    edited June 2017

QuinnCat, wow, impressive. I love the mid-evil style art you've copied expertly. The intricate hair must have taken hours.

MikeW.

• feelingfeline
    edited June 2017

Quinn now maybe you are pulling my leg and DH isn't here to tell me if you are or not. (He is from the US so he can translate for me) usually I do pretty well in translating to US English but perhaps I fell down here! Do you not have banknotes? Well I am thinking I should have said dollar bills! Loopy

• feelingfeline
    edited June 2017

Enjoyed looking at the artroster site - the forgeries are a visit to an international gallery! Wonderful (genuine) Tibetan Woman. Nerdy

• QuinnCat
    edited June 2017

ok, got it...forging dollar bills :). Took me awhile!

Mike, thank you. Yes the hair was a major undertaking. When I stopped copying the pearls, literally, they got much easier. My art teacher thinks a lot of these Old Master's paintings have been butchered by well-intentioned restorers over the years

• Nan812
    Nan812 Member Posts: 224
    edited June 2017

imageQuinncat...your work is so beautiful...I wish I could learn under your teacher! Does he ever teach online classes? I would be so in! How far are you from MI?

I posted some of the needle felting I do on the brain mets thread (I was amazed that I did this 2 weeks after my brain surgery) I'm thinking this is the right thread to post it on (if I can figure it out again lol) keep the inspiration coming, I love it all!!

• Nan812
    edited June 2017

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited June 2017

Definitely the right thread. I love the little mice. The forest spirit is wonderful too.

• Nan812
    edited June 2017

thank you.....

• feelingfeline
    edited June 2017

Beautiful! Absolutely awestruck that you were so together when recovering from serious surgery. Never heard of that kind of felting. (Not that I would call myself knowlegeable about any kind of felting). It looks wonderful. Did you make the felt and then applique it for the first piece or is it all one?

• Nan812
    edited June 2017

aww thanks FF....to needle felt you take cleaned and combed wool, ball it up, and stab it with a barbed needle till its the shape you want it.....the 3D animals have a pipe cleaner armature (you wrap it to start)...the greenman is my first "picture" 2D piece and for the back ground i used a mens gray wool vest that i "felted" (washed & dried HOT), then you can cut it into any shape without it fraying and i stabbed loose "roving" to make his face....there are some great tutorials on youtube and it really is satisfying because (dont tell anyone) it really is easy .....

i really wish i could paint like quinncat.....that is some amazing talent ....i would love to learn it all actually and i really appreciate everyones talent and i really wish i could paint..(Q, i must be worse than a monkey..lol )

keep shining bright....you are all an inspiration....thank you

• QuinnCat
    edited June 2017

Nan - I once had a desire to felt, but consumed by painting now. Even spent a huge $ amount on a famous felter's book (somewhere I operated under the illusion if I read art books I would become a better artist--really, for me, it is a good teacher and doing it over and over). People make Devon Rex kitties made to order to look like one's cat by felting...all over facebook. You are on your way with your besutiful mice!

But really, I cannot say this enough, with the right teacher, absolutely anyone can learn to oil paint. I went thru watercolor classes with several others that switched to oil, that could not produce what I would frame, including myself!!!, and they produce incredible oil paintings.

Check out the youtubes of George Ayers. He teaches a similar method to my teacher. It is very methodical and very forgiving. We use the gri method to get the drawing to the canvas. In the case of my forgery, I used a projector because of the intracicies of the hair, braids and pearls

i think this one shows the stages, past the initial drawing....there are more parts on this painting in youtube

• feelingfeline
    edited June 2017

ThumbsUp

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2017

wow! Quin, I love the painting. I cant paint like that. Nan, I love the felting. Once again, not something i can do. So much talent on these pages!

BTW, Dandelion jelly tastes like honey. Makes me feel like a bee!

• Nan812
    edited July 2017

hi all...please keep posting to inspire all of us on those days we cant walk or do much of anything...i find that the days i'm in a lot of pain i tend to make monsters, so i throw them out but i'm thinking maybe i should have an art chronicle of my pain and keep them (maybe not, who wants too remember that?)....any way please keep posting ,i love to see your art and soul

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    edited July 2017

I chose the pink Bridewell Stone, Cut by Patricia Florio Thomas, as my breast cancer statement piece. The pink (my positive attitude) shines bright against the black beaded encasement (black representing the fear of breast cancer diagnosis) with silver accents. Jewelry making has always been my passion and my rock. Even in the worst of times, I can work with my hands and put my mind in a meditative state.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited July 2017

Gorgeous! And I love the meaning.

• feelingfeline
    edited July 2017

Fabulous piece Jo.

Michelle that is a beautiful pendant. I love the arrival at "meditative state." Spent 2 days on a Royal School of Needlework course last week and we were in that zen place! How great it was to get 2 whole days just to sit in a lovely room and sew for pleasure! Keep meditating! Nerdy

• QuinnCat
    edited July 2017

Love that Michelle. I don't wear jewelry but I have this desire to paint jewelry with cats. Your piece is exactly the type of jewelry I would choose. Beautiful.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2017

I love that pendant! Beautiful job, Michelle

• QuinnCat
    edited July 2017

mike3121: "I love the mid-evil style art you've copied expertly. The intricate hair must have taken hours."

Mike, sorry, I'm laughing and crying at the same time. Try months!! This is my second painting if you don't count my 2 little black and whites of cubes and a cones. It might take me weeks now, not months. This painting has taken me 7 months!!!! When I get to the "days" category, then I will feel better. I have one week left before I have to stop...let it dry, varnish, then crate off to NYC for the show. I still laugh at that.

• feelingfeline
    edited August 2017

• goodprognosis
    goodprognosis Member Posts: 195
    edited August 2017

Beautiful. feelingf.....

Is it beading or embroidery and did you iron on the design first?

• pingpong1953
    pingpong1953 Member Posts: 277
    edited August 2017

I love this thread! I like to call myself an artist, although I guess I'm really a crafter. I live in a small city in northern Ontario that has a very active arts community and lots of talent. I make jewellery (wanted to take a wire-wrapping workshop this summer but the timing was all wrong) and use the Arts Club's pottery studio to mess around with clay with varied results. I've also been sewing for over 50 years and am enjoying making dolls and stuffed animals - I try to make them "unique" and I've had success selling some of my creations. At least I earn enough to support my "habit." I also play around with paper and I'm trying to use some photos I took last year in England and France to do some "unique" stuff with paper, too! I'll try to gather some of my stuff together and post some pictures.

• feelingfeline
    edited August 2017

Hi GoodPrognosis, it is goldwork embroidery using real gold on the smaller gold parts. The large semi circles (Celtic Lunulas) are made using a technique called Or Nué using an artificial gold japan thread accented with coloured single strand thread. The hare is sewn split stitch with single strand thread - he is actually tiny, only about as big as my thumb, but contains about 10,000 stitches.

(Summer hols so I am off work, DD was away at camp for a week, DH was also away so I got a great opportunity of time to make Nerdy)

• feelingfeline
    edited August 2017

Looking forward to seeing some pictures pingpong, so enjoy all the creativity here.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited August 2017

My Granddaughter and I made dreamcatchers on one of her visits. I made the one above and she made the one below for my birthday HaHa.. I still have it in my office. It has "happy birthday grammy" in beads in the middle.

• pingpong1953
    pingpong1953 Member Posts: 277
    edited August 2017

Feelingfeline, after seeing your work I know mine is going to look awfully simple! That gold thread work is amazing - I'm astonished that it can be done in such a small scale. I don't know if you watch BBC programs, but over here we've been lucky to watch a series that has archaeologists and historians recreating life on an English farm during various periods in history. During the Tudor Monastery Farm series the female historian demonstrates how they made gold thread and used it on tapestries. Really amazing to watch. Definitely fiddly work!