Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• QuinnCat
    QuinnCat Member Posts: 408
    edited March 2017

Oh Wren. I'm so sorry you lost your mother so young. That breaks my heart. I lost my mother at 14, and while still hard, I had her for awhile more than you. Did she die of breast cancer? My mother had BC.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited March 2017

No, she had peritonitis. It didn't kill her immediately, but they didn't expect her to survive from the first. They obtained penicillin finally, but it was too late. This was 1945 when only the military had it. I suspect she may have had Rh problems from transfusions as well. My grandmother said sometimes the transfusion would make her a lot better and sometimes worse. A lot of people from her job donated blood for her.

• QuinnCat
    edited March 2017

Wren 😰

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited March 2017

SUBMIT ART

The Conquer Cancer Foundation has created the Expressions of Hope Calendar to share emotions through art and inspire hope in others. It features the artwork of those who have been affected by cancer, including patients, families, friends, and caregivers.

Submissions for the 2018 calendar are now open until Friday, May 12, 2017. All are encouraged to share work for consideration.

View the work of past artists and submit your art today.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,882
    edited April 2017

Joanne, beautiful jewelry! You have certainly been busy! Love all your pieces.

I agree that so much talent here. I hope many of you submit your work to this calendar.

Nancy

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269
    edited April 2017

Thanks for sharing Jo. They are all so beautiful.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited April 2017

ThumbsUp

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited April 2017

Joanne! Lovely pieces! And, yes, I have wsy too many beads and pieces to put together yet. LOL.

Quincat! Wow. Im blown away with your painting. Its stunning.

• feelingfeline
    edited May 2017

The Pendant on necklace and and earrings is made by paper quilling, varnished for durability.

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618
    edited May 2017

nice feline. You have a new hobby?

• Mariangel43
    Mariangel43 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2017

Jo-5 and Feelingfeline, you are great artists! Those are exquisite pieces. I do some simple jewelry because I don't like heavy things in my neck. Sometimes I paint. Normally I knit and crochet; I love them.Due to back spasms, I am reducing the time spent with the yarns; but I plan to return to knitting and crocheting.

Jo-5, do you sell some of the beads? Those crystal things are quite expensive here. I loved to go to Michael's because they had everything but they close a long time ago. Now we are at the mercy of two or three stores who sell the beads over priced. I also buy beads to give a friend who lost her job and she is making for me some simple necklaces and bracelets with pink ribbon (cancer). Half of the sales is for her and the other is for the church.

Thank you all, God bless you. Good night.

• feelingfeline
    edited May 2017

Thanks Jo love yours too, beautiful colour schemes.

Mariangel you might find quilled or fabric pendants good to wear since you don't like heavy objects, (can't blame you there, I don't like them either) Quilled jewellery is made from paper, sprayed with varnish so extremely light. Smaarty makes felt jewellery, also very light.

Smaarty I did a taster class (a morning) in quilling in January and loved it. I saw this jewellery competition and realised it would be a great excuse to do some more quilling, happily this coincided with the school Easter hols so I found it easy to fit in the time to design and make it. It was my first venture in jewellery making so I had to get the wires and a book, and learn how to make the different loops for hanging the beads, attaching the clasps etc., All in all a great learning experience. There was nothing else like it in the contest, lots of beading, some way more technical than the simple necklace I made, I wanted the pendant to be the main feature, not fighting with the necklace. There were no other handmade pendants. (Contest was for any two pieces of handmade jewellery). So it stood out as very colourful and different, won 1st prize! As I was very happy simply to have spent the time making it, winning was the icing on the cake.

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618
    edited May 2017

feline, you're a fast learner. Are you making more? How about one of Arthur?

• feelingfeline
    edited May 2017

Great idea! I was just lying in bed this morning thinking of future designs and was thinking i would like to do more animals Nerdy

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2017

feelingfeline, love it! Ibe done some quilling, but it was in the 70s! LOL. Much better glue now though! For my daughter first wedding, her ex MIL made snowflakes with quilling to put in the centerpieces. It was beautiful.

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2017

i needed a quick bday gift so here it is.

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2017

and for easter, I made these for my friends.

little bunniesimage

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2017

Hows this for talent - 2017 batch of Dandylion Jelly.image

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2017

I call this my Grateful Dead necklace! made with an old tie dyed shirt wrapped on thin fiber rope, hammered copper.
  • goodprognosis
    goodprognosis Member Posts: 195
    edited May 2017

you're talented people, moon and flower. Gorgeous little bunnies.

Love that copper necklace. What an idea, so inventive........

• feelingfeline
    edited May 2017

NerdyBunnies are so sweet!!

• artistatheart
    edited May 2017
    Stained glass tree ornament or sun catcher
  • feelingfeline
    edited May 2017

Nerdy

• mike3121
    mike3121 Member Posts: 280
    edited May 2017

I love the art displayed here. It's my favorite spot as it's not depressing. I particularly love cloisonne. The wife is feeling better now with Xeloda and on a 7 days on and 7 days off cycle. Her Stage 4 ER+ recently turned triple negative.

Dec 2012 she was diagnosed Stage 4 from the beginning with main tumor in the breast, one node and one spot in the spine. ER+ 100% estrogen and Grade 1. AC eradicated the node and spine mets.

After a year of extamestane the tumor developed, at its core, a ER+ 30% estrogen grade 3 tumor. Nine of 19 lymph nodes were rare triple negative Metaplastic cancer. Lifetime amount of AC and radiation sent her to Dr. NED.

After one year on tamoxifen, she developed numerous mets to the spine. Biopsy showed they were regular triple negative. She's on Xeloda now.

Keep up the good artwork ladies.

MikeW.

• glowgene
    glowgene Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2017

Aaaahhhh! So many talented people!! :D Really glad I found this thread!

@feelingfeline I love that peacock necklace!

Thought I would share lil' cosmoctopus. He was a Christmas gift for a friend :)

• artistatheart
    edited May 2017

glow, is that Fimo clay? Pretty cool!

• feelingfeline
    edited May 2017

Cosmoctopus! So clever! I see a movie coming on...

• glowgene
    glowgene Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2017

artistatheart Thanks and it's sculpey clay! My SO kept giving me concerned looks as I put on those darn little suckers one by one, muttering dark things under my breath.

feelingfeline: Thanks! I don't think he would make a very good movie villain, though...he's really a cosmoctopushover at heart.

...I'll see myself out now...

• goodprognosis
    goodprognosis Member Posts: 195
    edited May 2017

Great play on words Glow.Winking

Love the little Octochappie too............

• QuinnCat
    edited June 2017

I posted this painting awhile back. Boy, did I not know what was in front of me and I still have a month or more left to paint (every ribbon on the blouse gets embroidery stitching). This is a Sandro Botticelli forgery. Pearls on braid need reworking, feather, etc. Anyway, this is my first forgery and my first big painting. Every year our atelier has a forgery show, locally. Someone saw something and did an article in Amtrak magazine about our little small town shows and my fantastic teacher and an Architecture firm in NYC saw the article and asked for us to send 20 paintings back to NYC to a show at their firm. Mine was picked from 100 along with 10 others in addition to 7 Mona Lisas (from his first forgery show). All credit goes to our fantastic teacher. image

Original