Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited December 2016

I really admire that beautiful crochet work. You must have the patience of a saint!

Nerdy

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited December 2016

I finally finished another big rosette for my La Passacaglia quilt.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2016

Stunning Mel!!!!!

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited December 2016

NerdyThumbsUpThumbsUpNerdy

• barbe1958
    edited December 2016

That's amazing Jo!!!!!

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,882
    edited December 2016

Hey Joanne,

You could send me a dozen roses for my birthday! LOL

Love those. You are so talented.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited December 2016

Very cool JO-5

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2016

Nerdy Fabulous!

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited December 2016

Yes, Joanne, I like roses too. Especially those Benjamin Franklin ones!

Just saying. . . . . . . .

Nerdy

• Lauriemay
    Lauriemay Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2016

Can please tell how put on this page

nice work how do put the pics of this section

Laurie May

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2016

Laurie in the box where you post:

Look at the top - you should see a little icon that looks like 2 mountains.

It's a bit like this one (but no sun)

Click on it and a window will open.

You can then navigate to the place on your computer where your picture is stored

Then click the "open" button and the picture will be added to your post.

You can then "submit " your post as normal.

• QuinnCat
    QuinnCat Member Posts: 408
    edited December 2016

Flaming June is still on the back burner for a forgery. I have decided to do Sandro Botticelli's Portrait of a Lady for the forgery show. In the meantime, I have started my first oil painting in color (actually I have one color painting previous, but my heart wasn't in it). This is an actual kitten belonging to an Austrian FB friend. IT IS NOT FINISHED. I imagine I will spend another 10-20 hours on it. It is the same breed of cat I own, a Devon Rex. Very furless at this age (15 weeks, though some have fur too at this age), big ears, big eyes. He looks very alien right now because the eyes aren't finished (pupils very indiscernable). So much left to do.

P.S. I am not an "artist," so the title of this thread "Calling all Artists" is a bit misleading. I'm trying to learn how to oil paint. I'm not saying this is great, but I am saying I had no idea I could even do this 4 months ago, so I am posting mostly because I want to encourage others that might think they want to learn to paint. After BC I found myself in retirement earlier than planned. One of my jobs, was map making and required some visual media skills. I knew I would miss that part of the job and luckily, my little town, has a fantastic oil painting teacher. I am now convinced a monkey can be taught to paint, so I must redefine what "artist" means. I'm still searching for that, but I think creativity must play a part. I have near zero creativity and admire that in people who do! Having said that, really, anyone can learn to paint (with the exception of watercolor - never could get that!).

• barbe1958
    edited December 2016

I can't oil paint!!! Go figure...

I believe we all have an artistic talent inside that some of us find and others never even look for. Being creative is very healing.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited December 2016

Quinncat, I love the painting, especially the little paws with claws. They are odd looking as kittens, especially if you're used to furry guys. I'm with you on art. I'm doing watercolor despite a lack of talent. The important part is that I love doing it and am having a good time. My goal is to be able to sketch a location for memory rather than taking a photo. I was thinking of French cafes but I'm going to have to settle for ones here, I think. A woman in my art class went to Yellowstone and made a little diary of her trip. She paints very small and is good (helps). Each page has a tiny painting of something she saw with an explanation or diary entry on the remainder of the page. She even makes her own tiny notebooks using good paper and cutting to her preferred size. My class has beginners who have never painted and some who are very good and just like the company.

• QuinnCat
    edited December 2016

I think doing art with others is a very nice experience Wren. It would not feel right doing any art in a vacuum.

I do think, even plen arie painters will take a photo for future use (as well as a sketch book). I know I would have to!!!

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269
    edited December 2016

It's fantastic QuinnCat. Wish I could get motivated to begin some crafting again. Have not picked up a brush or needle since before my BC diagnosis. Love seeing the beautiful work here. Thanks for sharing.

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited December 2016

Trick Arts from the Net that may give more ideas and inspirations for artists.

• Mom2fourplusmore
    Mom2fourplusmore Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2016

Quinncat, you said you're not an artist? Oh I disagree. That cat is amazing. I thought it was a photo. People who hold a natural talent don't usually recognize it. My brother sings and says anyone can learn to sing. I assure you that's not true. And my kids can attest to my horrible voice. When you say a monkey can learn it's because you have a natural tendency and it comes easy. Don't underestimate yourself. Can't wait to see what else you start painting. Good for you

• QuinnCat
    edited December 2016

Mom2Four - seriously, it is my teacher. He learned from the best (in Chicago) in an Atelier very difficult to get into. He has just the right touch (and vast knowledge and mad skills) for teaching. Let me see...this is the second painting a former coworker did under this teacher. He told me he had never done oil painting before, only read about it (this is his forgery):

Even our teacher says he could teach a monkey to paint. There really are only a handful of rules. Also, I am witnessing this monkey teacher thing with the 20 or so students he teaches.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2016

I consider myself very artistic and I can't paint oils!!! I agree that it has to be inherent before it can come out well. Having said that, I admire anyone who has the guts to put something out there. It took me years before I could call myself an artist. As I began to sell my work that certainly built my confidence.

I think that cat IS amazing!!!!!!

• QuinnCat
    edited December 2016

barbe - I know what my teacher would say to you, exactly ("it's very easy, it's just following certain principles"), and then he would have you doing oils fairly proficiently within 2 to 3 three hour classes. My hand is still not that steady, but it is getting better. I'm still hit or miss with mixing paints to get the exact color I want and I often don't get my values dark enough (principle #1, get the value right first).

If you want to see what comes out of this teacher check out "Art Roster" in Facebook.

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited December 2016

Quinncat,

I just saw your cat painting and it's awesome. Gosh, i wish i have that talent.

• QuinnCat
    edited December 2016

Try this << link to my teacher's bio on Wikipedia.

I'm serious when I say my teacher could teach anyone to oil paint. I honestly believe this (I didn't before I started taking his class). It really is a matter of finding the right mentor to guide you through. I will not say that about watercolor, though perhaps, with the right teacher. So my painting is my way of saying this.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited December 2016

There's a group here of Urban Sketchers who meet once a month or so, sketch/paint whatever they want at the site and compare what they've done at the end. Google Urban Sketchers Seattle. My art teacher is a member and encourages us to give it a try. They welcome beginners.

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2016

QuinnCat ditto what some others said. I am very creative, artistic setc and have never been a painter. Different talent altogether, some people play piano, others cook or write computer programs. Creativity has a multiplicity of manifestations.

I agree word for word with Mum2fourplusmore

Congratulations on your wonderful painting. Keep up the great work!!

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2016

Nerdy

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269
    edited December 2016

Looks gorgeous Joanne. You are very creative.

My daughter asked for money but don't think our slippery notes could be made into a rose.

• beth1965
    beth1965 Member Posts: 203
    edited December 2016

Hello I paint on canvas glass and porcelaine etc..here are "The Twins" they are in art gallery southwestern Ontario Canada right now. I am proud of my pretty babies.

• beth1965
    edited December 2016

Hello I paint on canvas glass and porcelaine etc..here are "The Twins" they are in art gallery southwestern Ontario Canada right now. I am proud of my pretty babies.image

• beth1965
    edited December 2016

This one is very raw and near and dear to my heart it is called

Cancer:The new Emotion

I looked in the mirror one day and did not recognize the emotion on my face at all. It was too many combined all at once sadness, rage, anger, overwhelmed, powerless, stubborn, brave, courageous, defeated, battling, futureless, dreaming

The painting symbolizes many things to me - my long long hair I always had before cancer - my left breast is accented as that's where my cancer began, my arms and one leg are sinking into the darkness- one foot is still in the light holding on fighting to stay up- my face is half dark as that is the side no one gets to see the side of me that is scared and sad the side I do not think love ones could handle, it is my hidden feelings side- they get to see the light side of my face the imagede side that is brave strong and fearless