Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2016

Beautiful work ladies! Thank you for sharing.

Beth I'm a little more southwest than you in Ridgetown. I'm new to the area (2 years) and just love it down here!

• beth1965
    beth1965 Member Posts: 203
    edited December 2016

Hi barb1958 I have been here about 8 years now and love it too. We started out in Milton and just kept moving farther south- you cant beat how much the house prices drop the farther you go

I just found this thread and am loving looking though it what wonderful talented and creative people we have here

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269
    edited December 2016

Stunning Beth.

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited December 2016

For what it's worth, here is my unsolicited opinion on talent and creativity:

5% inspiration plus 95% perspiration.

Practice, practice, practice.

Nerdy

and practice some more.

• OncoWarrior
    edited December 2016

I did not make this art, but it is so beautiful that I wanted to share with you as my Christmas card this year. It is Haitian icon of mother and child.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited December 2016

ThumbsUp

• QuinnCat
    QuinnCat Member Posts: 408
    edited December 2016

Oncowarrior - Has a Diego Rivera and Paul Gaugin feel. Two artists I like very much.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited December 2016

wiw! Great paintings! Cute little dresses and so many other things! Everyone is so talented. Here is my Christmas poem:

CHRISMAS CHEER

Christmas comes but once a year,

lots of joy, and lots of cheer.

Buy the presents, trim the tree,

Hope a presents there for me!

Haul out the wreaths and the lights,

Colors shine right through the night.

Wrapping paper piled so high,

Only one more gift to buy.

When it seems to never end,

There's always just one more to send.

Suddn'ly before you knew it

Budgets tossed and you just blew it!

Bank account is just a wreck

That's OK, and what the heck!

Christmas comes but once a year,

that"s ENOUGH of all that cheer!!!

LOL!

Heres a gift I made fory best friend

Merry Christmas, Happy Channaka too. Whatever you celebrate, may it be wonderous!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2016

Love the tea cozy!!! I wish someone would make something like that for me. It means so much when it's hand made by someone you care for.

• beth1965
    beth1965 Member Posts: 203
    edited December 2016

I am so loving so many things what amazing talent in every art form from paintings to knitting to poems and the list goes on and on - absolutely wonderful !!!!!

• laastra
    laastra Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2016

I love this thread!! I started taking more classes and getting myself more active with painting and drawing this year but I've been practicing awhile. I just turned 30 in September and I have been looking forward to my 30's. I work an office job full time but I have been finding enough time to work on creative things too. I don't have any kids but hope I still might be able to. This diagnosis was a pretty shocking surprise, my mom and my grandma both had breast cancer, so I knew I had risk but wasn't expecting it this early.

I am loving looking at all the artwork from everyone here!! Making art is such a powerful therapy. Whether you're just starting out or you have some years of practice, it just feels good to make something of your own and sometimes expression is difficult with words.

Here are a few of my pieces from the past few years:

imageimage

• QuinnCat
    edited December 2016

Laastra - wonderful stuff. You have a lot of talent and still so young to explore and cultivate. Are you brca+ like me? Our particular variation of the mutation in my family hits later in life (50's). To be 30 and have to deal with this, so sorry.

• laastra
    laastra Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2016

Quinncat - thank you! I had genetic testing and I did not have any of the gene mutations associated with breast cancer, so I don't know if there's that component to it unless it's one they don't know of yet. I am going for my surgery this month. I'm hoping to keep up that exploring and cultivating. It's really never too early or late to pick this stuff up. I've been uh.. preoccupied? since my diagnosis but I want to keep moving forward with this. It'll be about 2 and a half months from diagnosis to surgery and the waiting is hard but ..almost there. I just tell myself when I have low energy to keep drawing at least something, and don't worry about it being good or not, just to keep the practice going. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I find myself more often digging into cancer information in my spare time. I need to do that too, but I still want to make time for art. I saw the one of the cat and some others of yours, I love your painting!

• QuinnCat
    edited December 2016

thank you laastra - I got lucky. We have a great instructor in my tiny town. He can make anyone a painter though I'm still not confident. I just finished my first forgery - the pencil drawing of on a stretched canvas. The Idealized Portrait of a Lady by Sandro Botticelli. It is 20 in x 30 in. Big! I can't even imagine finishing on time for the April 1 forgery show.

Your cancer schedule sounds much like mine did. Between my screening mammogram (Oct 9) and BMX (Jan 20), over a 3 months wait. First it was my gyn who kept going on vacation and not paying attention to my mammon. Then it was Thanksgiving, then being scheduled for 12/12, then getting the surprise brca results, then having to reschedule for a BMX, then xmas and having to coordinate the PS and BS. It was worrisome, but my BS didn't seem to think that amount of time would make a difference. She told me, now waiting till July, not a good idea. I'll never forget that comment.

• mike3121
    mike3121 Member Posts: 280
    edited December 2016

My wife's BC history. My wife refuses to use the internet, well except for Amazon and Ebay.

Progression with two spots on spine as of this October 2016. Oncologist wants to wait a few months to let it grow big enough for a biopsy. Complex case as she has had 3 different types of BC: ER+ 100% estrogen grade 1, ER+ 30% estrogen grade 3 and triple negative Metaplastic BC.

My wife, back in Dec of 2012 was diagnosed with Stage 4 ER+ PR+ HER2-breast cancer. One node and a small spot on the spine. After 3 infusions of AC she was clean except for the 6 cm tumor in her breast. The oncologist said since the cancer was responding well to estrogen blocker (aromasin) it was best to leave it be. Ops forgot to mention in the midst of all this cancer stuff she had to have removed a grapefruit sized and very painful non-cancerous ovarian cyst.

A little over a year later, Nov 2014, the cancer morphed and went crazy. She had a radical mastectomy and breast removal. A biopsy showed it to be ER+ and the oncologist prescribed tamoxifen. 19 lymph nodes were removed and 9 of the 19 had triple negative Metaplastic keratinized squamous carcinoma. A PET scan done after the surgery showed some cancer still in her armpit, probably spill over from the nodes. She has two cancers, one ER+ PR+ HER2- and another triple negative. She went back on A-C (lifetime amount), no Taxol as she almost died from it earlier. Almost died from NeuLasta too. Also 7 weeks of radiation.

After all that she had to have major surgery to remove a tumor from her kidney. It was benign.

I draw to relax.

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2016

Beautiful.

• OncoWarrior
    edited December 2016

Hey Mike3121, I did not know we had a patron saint. Thank you for making that icon. Looks like a stained glass window. What medium?

Is that a dragon on your little picture? Can you make a bigger copy here for us?

I think you were here at another time. because as soon as I saw your post I remembered I have this in my picture file.

it says, By Mike W.

Nerdy

• mike3121
    mike3121 Member Posts: 280
    edited December 2016

Watercolor, some color pencil then a bit of "ink in a pencil" or pen & ink where needed.

I didn't do the shamrock. I used to do screen savers and did one of 8 warrior shields in 3D then made them rotate and the dragon shield was one of them.

Link to some of my art:

http://www.artwanted.com/artist.cfm?ArtID=83018

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited December 2016

Lovely art. I'm glad it helps you relax. You certainly have a lot going on.

• goodprognosis
    goodprognosis Member Posts: 195
    edited January 2017

Hi Mike

I followed your link. What beautiful artwork!!!

I absolutely love birds of all kinds but the parrots certainly lend themselves to artwork with their beautiful colours.

Sketch a bit myself and used to write feature articles for newspapers and had some children's fiction published but have nothing to upload.

I so admire the art on here. It's amazing.......

• OncoWarrior
    edited January 2017

Mike, I checked the link. Beautiful stuff.

the Chinese New year is coming and this time is Rooster. I bet you could make a great drawing/painting for that.

• feelingfeline
    edited February 2017

NerdyThumbsUp

Best wishes for your health and healing Jo

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited February 2017

Such talent here. And so many modest people! LOL.

I saw this saying many years ago, and its still true: "Creativity never sings, until the inner critic is silent."

How true is that! Hugs and much love to all.

• QuinnCat
    edited March 2017

Starting to see the end of my forgery underpainting. I still have no idea how to glaze, otherwise she might already be a strawberry blonde. So much left to do. Sandro Botticelli Portrait of a Young Woman (Simonetta Vespucci). She was a muse of Botticelli. The poor girl died in her early 20's. I started painting on January 8th. Parts of the braid, cameo and blouse yet to be touched by paint.

• feelingfeline
    edited March 2017

Beautiful QuinnCat. Undoubtedly much to be learned as you study Botticelli. You are putting your learning into practice. The piece is already beautiful, and even if it were never finished it would still be beautiful.

• QuinnCat
    edited March 2017

Thanks FF. I will finish. Our little small town atelier has invitations to "big city" galleries on the table (one in NYC). Not that my painting will be chosen, but I want to at least try. We have some people who have been with this teacher for 5 years and were already artists to start with. I'm a rank beginner, but love it. I would never have thought I'd paint something like this, but the more I looked and looked for a candidate from the old masterpieces (need a hi res jpeg and for it to be free of copyrights), they all started growing on me. (Never did take a class in Art History.) My life will not be long enough to do all of the forgeries I would want to do!

• feelingfeline
    edited March 2017

Nerdy

• wren44
    edited March 2017

Quinn, Really interesting to see how beauty standards change over time. Her nose is especially different from what's considered beautiful today. And I'm sure she was the very height of beauty in her time. Perhaps if we wait long enough, short and tubby will come back and I'll be in style.

• QuinnCat
    edited March 2017

Well, I fixed her nose today, in class Wren!! LOL! Does it look any better? She's Italian!

She was the muse for Botticelli's Birth of Venus (just her face shown) and another portrait:

• wren44
    edited March 2017

Actually, it does look better with skin coloring. She was really beautiful. My mother's nose looked a lot like that. I have a photo done in black & white and later colored. She died when I was four, so I have just a few, but vivid, memories of her. One was long polished nails. I've never been able to keep mine nice like that.