Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited August 2018

Art is such great therapy.

Love those rocks and the mosaic.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2018

That stained glass! 😮😍

I went to the local university extension;display garden to practivpce my macro work. Loved this dahlia.

• Amica
    Amica Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2018

lovemyvizsla

Oh, that's beautiful! those colors are incredible :)

• Amica
    edited August 2018

I fear and admire spiders in equal measure. A poem:

Superior Spiders

Spiders laugh all the time,

only we don't know it.

They love shadow. They love warmth,

suspended in the incalescence they have spun.

How many times have you created

housing that will catch for you your daily meal?

Spiders have it all over us.

They can run a mean 100 millimeter dash,

and disappear into a crack.

Can you? I didn't think so.

Spiders kiss behind the bushes,

and don't bother with addresses like Mr. or Mrs.

Spiders can crash wherever they land,

make a life and home anew

out of mere symmetry and dew.

Even after a nasty fall,

each wears a weather-coated

parachute of sorts that softens all spills

and makes a safe start of all.

Spiders can bite and deploy massive armaments,

against objects twenty thousand times their size.

They can poke you right between your eyes,

as they did my mother, or any other.

Spiders create soundless trilling symphonies

perfect in their arching incalculability.

How did such a small creature

learn of such rhapsody,

without a notebook or a teacher all together?

Have you ever seen a spider forced in line to wait?

Have you ever seen a spider on a date?

Have you ever seen a spider with a mate?

I haven't. Like I said,

spiders have it all over us.

• havenmother
    havenmother Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2018

My chest in 3d stiffened cheesecloth on plaster paris mold moved to canvas and painted..image

• goodprognosis
    goodprognosis Member Posts: 195
    edited August 2018

Amica. Your poem about spiders is absolutely wonderful....

You won't believe it but about 3 weeks ago I also wrote a poem about spiders!!! Imagine both of us thinking about spiders around the same time and poetically too....

I'll try to find mine and post it tomorrow.

Great stuff on this thread.

GP

• goodprognosis
    edited August 2018

Found my poem. Heres the spider poem I wrote a few weeks ago.

SPIDER

I see you, though you made no movement. My eye came to find you in your secret place.

Two long black legs stretched out in beautiful ease, they would be invisible against the crack in the tiles, but the floor tiles are yellow and your legs are black.

I see you waiting.

Do you see me?

What are your wonderful bulbous eyes perceiving? Am I a galaxy spinning in your vision?

Can you focus? Am I spheres of swirling light? Am I so large, too large to fit in your world? Are you unable to see where I begin or end?

I sit watching you, only seeing your legs but knowing that you are secreted in your tiny dark corner, waiting.

I am sitting on the toilet. Not a usual vantage point. And that's why I see you, because my eye falls to the corner of the skirting as I idly survey.

I suddenly feel overwhelmed with a compassion and great love for you. Do you feel the same for me? What do you think of my strange world? Where do you fit in?

How vulnerable you are in my world. How completely right in yours.

When my foot falls close to where you sit, what is it to you? Is it the vibration of an avalanche thundering across your floor? Will the breeze of my step as I pass be a hurricane?

Do you feel fear as a shadow crosses the opening of your home?

You sit on, silently waiting.

We could learn a lot from spiders.

Goodprognosis, written July 2018

• Amica
    edited August 2018

goodprognosis

I love it! I love how you capture the idea of how the spider might perceive us, as an avalanche, a hurricane or a spinning galaxy....our world...their world...

There is a great article somewhere online about a remarkable spider species that lives for decades, in Australia I think. They build nests in the ground and cover the doorway with a pile of matchstick twigs, and live in that nest for their lifetime, and lay their eggs there. They emerge only to mate I believe. Some biologists have been researching these spiders, and tracking them by counting the number of organized nests that remain year after year. They found one exceptionally long-lived spider, and grew to admire her, only to find recently that wasps had invaded the spider's nest and destroyed it and its home. If I can find the article I'll post the link :)

• goodprognosis
    edited August 2018

delighted you like my poem Amica. Loved yours too, particularly the idea that spiders kiss behind the bushes - I feel sure they do......floaty, candyfloss kisses.

Smile

Would love to read the article if you find it.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2018

Fair warning, here is a spider photo.it stood out so brightly against the hydrangea.

• Amica
    edited August 2018

oh, that's a beautiful spider pic!

I found the poignant article on Spider No. 16

Spider No 16

• goodprognosis
    edited August 2018

Hi Amica

Thanks for article link but I couldn't open it on the read free articles section. It wanted me to pay a subscription fee.

Don't worry. Thanks anyway.

GP

• Amica
    edited August 2018

Goodprognosis

If you go to that article through "incognito mode" in Google Chrome, you can read some free Washington Post articles.

On the other hand, if you google "the death of the oldest living spider," or "Spider 16" there are a bunch of articles elsewhere, although that was the best one because it showed the nest.

• goodprognosis
    edited August 2018

Hi back Amica

Found an article on Spider 16 in National Geographic. Fascinating. Loved the info about how ancient a species some spiders are.

" Trapdoor spiders are one of the most ancient species on Earth. They first appeared around the Triassic, and have remained relatively unchanged over the hundreds of millions of years compared to other spiders"

Imagine! Here during the Triassic Period...!

Thanks for the info Amica.

GP

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited August 2018

I went to San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and thought of you when I walked into this room. They are bronze, giant and breathtaking. I haven't been up for anything like this for a very long time. It was such a blessing to be surrounded by all the creativity in that building.imageT

Image result for louise bourgeois metal spiders

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited August 2018

wow

Yes thanks a lot for the comments

I will look into classes for sure. It is something I always wanted to do.

I love all the art that is shared here

I made something for a baby thus week

• rachelcarter35
    edited August 2018

Enerva. beautiful handwork.

JO-5 Sorry. Spiders can be unnerving. .

• goodprognosis
    edited August 2018

I thought this thread was somewhere to post our artwork - whatever the subject matter may be!

GP

• rachelcarter35
    edited August 2018

The response to art is so subjective. There was a thread on here about two beautiful poems about spiders that moved into a general discussion about spiders. I walked into that room at SFMOMA and immediately thought of this. Yes these giant metal spiders are unnerving though and not everyone is going to like it. I try not to offend and have no problem censoring myself on this forum. Life is hard enough for many of us right now.

An interesting side note: The sculpture is by a woman. I think of myself as pretty modern in my view of art but I assumed they were by a man. I've been trying to figure out why. Their size? Metal work? Just old fashion views in my DNA? Not OK...shame on me!

After working almost everyday of my adult life this time has stopped me in my tracks and forced me to have a patience I always wished to have to watch the natural world. I've sat while healing watching hummingbirds fight for territory in my garden, a northern mockingbird raise a nest of babies and yes a spider build a web.

I'm frightened of spiders too but hate flies more so am appreciative of them. The giant spiders at SFMOMA are foreboding and beautiful simultaneously.

• goodprognosis
    edited August 2018

I Agree rachelcarter35. Response to art is indeed subjective. But to only comment on the subject matter is not. That's rude.

I wrote one of those Spider poems but have since deleted it.

By the way I love Louise Joséphine Bourgeoise artwork. She died in 2010 aged 98. I think she was quite old when she did the spider sculptures. They are impressive.

GP

• rachelcarter35
    edited August 2018

I'm sorry you removed the poem . I thought yours and Amica's poems were beautiful.

• goodprognosis
    edited August 2018

Thank you rachelcarter35

GP

• goodprognosis
    edited August 2018

Don't worry about it JO-5. Thanks for your post.

I hope your health improves and your arm gets better.

GP

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited September 2018

amazing poems, pics, and mosaics! Dont forget conversation is an art also! LOL

• MexicoHeather
    MexicoHeather Member Posts: 147
    edited September 2018

It's all good, Ladies. I saw those spiders and thought, " Oops. That's gonna be a trigger for someone! " We have so many spiders here in Florida, I'm immune.I like coming over to this wonderful thread.

• Enerva
    edited September 2018

hi I made a bracelet I love and wanted to share here

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited September 2018

Very nice. I love turquoise. DH accused me of wanting to paint the entire house turquoise.

• Amica
    edited September 2018

Enerva, that's beautiful ! I love the wood, and the lovely shades of blue :)

• goodprognosis
    edited September 2018

lovely combination of beads and wood Enerva............

GP

• Enerva
    edited September 2018

I made 4 lol

I bought one at a boutique and loved it so much that I took my beads that I had kept for years and made 4 .

I paid 12.99 for mine

I 'll try to sell these ones for $10

To get back my $12.99

Lol

Who knows if I 'll sell lol