Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited February 2022

Thanks Serenity.

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782
    edited February 2022

Minus, no worries about a slice of sadness. You're just sharing where you are at today.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2022

Anyone else eating prunes for its health benefits? I just had some with Oreos. 👍

ETA: Broke my fast early. It’s Valentines!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited February 2022

MinusTwo- I miss my music friends. I have a lot of them here but haven't seen as many of them the past few years with the pandemic.

Are there any jazz societies or the like in Houston? We have a couple of orgs here that promote music in our community. I have met so many great music friends that way. Or any Meet Up groups for music related things? I know a lot of those that probably went on the wayside in the pandemic, but maybe worth exploring. Just some ideas to find some new music friends where you live......

My music friends are back in the breweries and other events playing music indoors. I did some outdoor stuff last summer, but just not inclined to sit inside this winter with the surge. I told a couple of them recently I would see them in the spring and summer when we could be back outdoors for music.

Wishing everyone a lovely Valentines Day. Find love in your day with family, friends, pets, nature, a partner, or life in general

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Jazzy - Love Linda Ronstadt!

I usually listen to Miles Davis or Chet Baker, but this performance where Sting serenades his wife is beautiful. ❤️

• minustwo
    edited February 2022

Both versions just lovely & I hadn't seen either.

Slice of joy is some See's Peanut Brittle that I've been hiding since Christmas.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Love the peanut brittle!

Need to chill? Chill Out with John Lee Hooker and Carlos Santana. ❤️

• minustwo
    edited February 2022

LOVE the music - but really love Hooker's socks.

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782
    edited February 2022

Cool! I never knew they played together. And Carlos was so young...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Minus - The socks match his tie!!! When I had my CT scan last week the tech said she liked my socks. I was wearing my coffee-themed socks. Next time I’ll wear the bacon and eggs socks. 😎

Cowgirl - The video is new to me. Had to share it here.

Here’s another video that I thought would be good here. It’s not often that a cover can do justice to Sam Cooke’s song, but this father-son duo is excellent. 👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Continuing on with songs about change…

The lovely Tracy Chapman

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2022
  • celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited February 2022

My Thin Slice of Joy - The fridge, dishwasher & range hood we purchased on 1/4 were expected to be a long while coming due to manufacturer backlogs. Received a call from the appliance store a few minutes ago - fridge to be delivered Sat 2/19, others to be delivered on Sat 2/26. We also purchased a range, but they had it in stock, so received that on 1/9. Yippee!

Loving all of the musical postings!

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2022

CeliaC- that is great news. I just ordered a new dishwasher after getting nowhere with Lowes for far longer than I should have dealt with. They said they are expecting an order this month and hoping my appliance comes in soon too.

Enjoy your kitchen appliances!

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2022

This young woman is a great jazz trombonist as well as vocalist. A music friend shared this today and love this version with the orchestra. I follow Aubrey on FB and last I saw, she was about to have a baby, now I have to go find out if that happened!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

NotAsCalm - The looks on those pups break my heart!

Celia - Enjoy your new appliances! I still love mine as if they’re new.

Jazzy - Great find!

Playing For Change has a new amazing video.

More snow for us. I think we have less snow cover than last year. I just collected some fresh snow for the plants, but I did it more often last winter.

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2022

This was on HBO this morning, and if you get a chance to see it, totally great documentary about the Apollo Theather in Harlem and how it brought so many R&B musicians we know and love today into the limelight. The music they play is great, so many wonderful interviews and history too.

Trailer

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Jazzy - It’s great!

Not a great picture, but the clouds parted enough to let the moon show. Look up!

• celiac
    edited February 2022

Today's CBS Sunday Morning program had a segment on the group Tears for Fears (remember them from the 80's?). They are back together, have a new album and will be touring in 2022.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Cool! Have you seen the pandemic version with Curt Smith’s daughter?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Can’t stay still while listening to Fine Young Cannibals. It’s a Good Thing.

• celiac
    edited February 2022

Serenity - Those are both terrific! Thanks for posting. Loved the 80s.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Epic! 🥶

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Snow!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

I love this “Orbisonesque” rendition of a Pixies song! ❤️❤️❤️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

I broke my 36-hr fast with some delicious dried mango. I was so ready to eat last night, but managed to ignore the urge. Guess I should eat more now.

• minustwo
    edited February 2022

Great word - "Orbisonesque". Nice song.

Several neighbors got together in a back yard for 'take out' Panera sandwiches for a B-day celebration. 83 degrees yesterday but down to only 78 today. I brought a Black Forest Cake - store bought but pretty good. Still I was trumped by the neighbor who brought a "Flying Saucer" fresh strawberry pie w/whipped cream. Yum, Yum.

Edited say - I did not ignore the urge and ate a piece of BOTH.

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2022

MinusTwo - that sounds awesome 😋

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2022

Minus - I looked up Flying Saucer. Wow! No way I’d pass on a slice.

There were 3 Dove’s chocolates. My husband mentioned he had been eating too much sugar and fat. I removed temptation. I’m so thoughtful. 😊

• minustwo
    edited February 2022

Serenity - thanks for my laugh of the day... you removed temptation!!!