Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited July 2022

Something so soothing about Norah Jones.

Carry On

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,965
    edited July 2022

Serenity- Goldie was asking me about that recipe, and I totally don't remember posting it or even trying it. Must have been a one time thing I tried and maybe didn't do again. I must have lost those brain cells, lol

My mind is not what it used to be Loopy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2022

Jazzy, Minus - Was it this delectable dish? More details in following posts.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/7/topics/850199?post_id=5726724

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2022

While I’m here, this is playing:

Harry Nilsson - Without You

• kathrynw1thasea
    kathrynw1thasea Member Posts: 97
    edited July 2022

The music selections are wonderful. My calico especially liked the Song from a Secret Garden. She couldn’t get stop rubbing on the iPad to get closer to the music. Cello is my very favorite instrument, though I can neither read nor play music. Dyslexia has me beaten on that account. It’s a superpower for other things but not music

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,265
    edited July 2022

Serenity - you nailed it with the January post of Jazzy's shrimp invention.

• minustwo
    edited July 2022

WOW Serenity. Norah Jones is always good, and then Harry Nilsson. Great mellow music.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2022

Minus - I’ve been in a mellow kind of mood.

Catherine - Your cat has good taste! I wish I had any musical talent.

Yo-Yo Ma - Bach Cello Suite No. 1

• minustwo
    edited July 2022

Serenity: Sorry I didn't make a note when I originally wrote it down, but is this Korean Pork recipe from you? Special K on the dinner thread kindly let me know she thinks maybe. If it is, what do you serve it with? I'm thinking black rice or Korean Braised Potatoes. Anyway, I finally have all my ducks in a row to make it this week. Just have to finish some left over salmon first.

>>>Wally - it must have been someone else. I copied it to an email file but just wrote "BCO". Hope the OP (original poster) will jump in and take credit. KOREAN PORK: 8 garlic cloves, 1-2" pc ginger peeled & sliced, 1/2 c dry sake (OP used sauvignon blanc) 1/2 c Gochujang, 1/2 c mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine), 1/4 cup veg oil (OP used sesame oil & half that amount), 1.5 lbs pork loin cut in thin strips, 5 or 6 green onions cut in 2" pieces added to marinade. Puree garlic, ginger, sake, gochujang, mirin & oil in a blender. Set 1/4c marinade aside; chill. Transfer remaining marinade to large dish. Add pork; turn to coat. Chill turning occasionally for at least 2 hours. OP cooked on the stove in a pan approx 8 minutes or until desired tenderness, then added rest of the marinade until it thickens up.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2022
    Minus - That looks delicious, but the recipe is not from me. I would have it with rice. I’m not much of a cook. I’ve posted before that my younger daughter begged my husband to come home from a long overseas trip to save her from my prison food. 😂 Now when he’s away, she cooks. Win for me!
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2022

It’s a bit warm out there. Stay cool and safe.

I’m always on the lookout for versions of “Summertime”. Here’s a good one by the Joan Chamorro Quintet.

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2022

Tonight's slice of joy

• kathrynw1thasea
    kathrynw1thasea Member Posts: 97
    edited July 2022

Tonight’s Slice of Joy is my precious kitty, Liten (lee-Ton). I rescued her from a flower bed in the pouring rain. She looked 6 weeks old, but later proved to be older. She has always been delicate and smaller than expected. Her name means small/little and I love practicing my Norwegian on her. We lived there a few years when I was a kid and I hate to lose the language skills.Plus Liten never makes fun of my accent!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2022

Jazzy - Wow!

Catherine - Pets are wonderful. My younger daughter would have loved to bring home one of the stray cats who nuzzled her on her way back from school, but I have severe cat allergies.

Joni Mitchell performed last weekend at the Newport Folk Festival. I've already watched this video of “Both Sides Now" a few times. Love her laughter at the end. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• minustwo
    edited July 2022

One of my favorite songs. Wonderful that she is still performing. And really - do any of us really know life???

This is what I watched last night. Anyone else remember The Everly Brothers? Great biography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsVeGewFL0g

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2022

I think Joni Mitchell’s performance was a one time thing. She hasn’t performed in years. Makes it all the more special.

More Norah Jones - Let It Be

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2022

Joni's appearance was so special. She seemed so thrilled by the crowds who sang with her. Seeing James Taylor last weekend again, and then seeing the clips of Joni, I think of James, Joni and Carol King as the trifecta of adoration by so many in my generation (tail end of baby boom). But I think all their music is also timeless and loved by many generations too!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2022

Jazzy - Yes! Their music is timeless.

My husband was the one who wanted to do a Whole 30. I think he changed the rules because he asked if I could make sourdough crackers. 🤔

So I did, but I have to stop sampling or else there won’t be any left for him. 😬

Pizza seasoning with extra garlic granules 👍

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2022

Slice of joy- ,treats from the farmers market

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2022

Jazzy - Nice! What is that next to the peaches? Looks a bit like lobster mushrooms.

I bought this a year ago when it had only small solid leaves. It’s grown so much. This is the first primary midrib hole.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022

This is the best sourdough crackers that I've made yet . Like pizza without the bloating. It's the easiest thing to make with sourdough discard. Learned today that sourdough has prebiotics. Heard that's good.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022

I love MTV Unplugged performances. ❤️

Pearl Jam - Alive

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022

Sting - Fragile

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022

Something uplifting

Listen to the Music - PFC-style

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2022

Now THAT really struck me! I actually had tears to wipe away! Put together from performances all over the world. I just read an article in the last few days somewhere that listening to music is good for the brain, and I've all but stopped listening the last decade or so.... hmmm. I guess it's time for me to Listen to the Music too.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022

oldladyblue - You read it here! Do you ever get a song in your head? I often do. Sometimes too much and the only way to stop it is to listen to the song a few times. What music do you like?

I repotted a root bound monstera plant. I managed to get the plant out by myself without having to cut the container. I prefer to stay away from sharp objects. Whew!

Another PFC. I love Cuban music.

• minustwo
    edited August 2022

Oh oh - ear worm. I can't the Pete Seeger song about unions out of my mind after seeing the reference & lyrics posted for Mirianda.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2022

hahaha, that's funny Serenity, I didn't remember where I read it....

I'm so out of touch with music, really, that I don't have a favorite anymore. I listened more to music when I could sing, but my heartburn has damaged my vocal cords, and the doc says I have something called "spasmodic dysphonia" and offered no real solution. No more singing, well, no more music listening, cuz I listened to what music I could sing to....

I never really thought about it until now.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022

oldladyblue - I'm sorry that you lost your singing ability. I cannot imagine. I like all sorts of music. I'm not sure I have a favourite.

Minus - I wasn’t familiar with the song. I did find it’s an older song that many artists including Seeger covered. 👍

My husband's version of the Whole 30 seems to have an amendment that foods found in the bottom of the freezer are allowed. We had chocolatines this morning. I'm ok with that. 😋