Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited September 2022
    Options

Minus - Beautiful lyrics.

I’m so pleased to find this video.

k.d. lang and Roy Orbison - Crying ❤️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Making sourdough crackers again for at least the 10th time. I finally have the steps memorized. 😊

Still love that the ovens have 2 timers. The one that turns off the oven keeps me from burning most things. Most.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited September 2022
    Options

Wow - Orbison & Lang!! Thanks

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Woke up this morning with this ear worm! 😳

Blondie - One Way or Another

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Had a long overdue eye appointment today. There weren't many people, but I did remove my mask to try on frames and take measurements. My last booster was less than 2 weeks ago. Once home I used my Neti pot and gargled using the rinse I use to prevent mouth sores from Ibrance. I created a new post in the COVID section that nasal rinses and gargling reduce severity. Figured they could help prevent infection. I should be ok. I like not knowing what COVID feels like. Joy? The eyewear guy gave me the restaurant with the best tiramisu in Montreal. I will need to verify.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

I over proofed sourdough. I started it yesterday late afternoon, and it wasn't ready before I went to sleep. By the time I remembered this morning, it had quadrupled in size. Oops. I think it's ok though. I split the dough into 2 cake pans kinda like mini focaccias. We use them to make mega sandwiches for dinner. Focaccia is more forgiving than boules. That's why it's my preferred sourdough bread.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited September 2022
    Options

I love sourdough bread! I will have to buy some. You made me want it, Serenity!!! But I never bake.

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

Serenity - thanks for the Orbitson & KD Lang "Crying". It replaced the earworm that was blasting my head. Unfortunately after 24 hours I'm back to "One Less Bell to Answer". The problem seems to be that I spent so many years singing & listening that I seem know most of the lyics, back from my Grandparent's time at the turn of the last century. Certainly the lyrics from my parent's time in the 30's & 40's. And of course I lived through the 50's & 60's and 70's. WAY too many lyrics & tunes running around in my head.

And 'oldladyblue' - my DS lives in the SF Bay area. I've always told him the only present I ever want for any occasion is real sourdough bread.

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

"...One less egg to fry. One less man to pick up after... And all I do is cry...."

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

Earworm Notification.... springing back and forth between "One Less Bell to Answer", and "Papa Was A Rolling Stone". That is a serious juxtaposition. Who knows where these darn ear worms come from.

Hope everyone is OK. Miss Jazzy...

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,935
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi Minus 2 - doing ok. Be back soon 🤗

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

Serenity - hope you are OK. It's unlike you not to post for a week.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

I'm ok. I had an unexpected allergy to the eye drops used by the optometrist. I've had to resist gouging my eyes out all week. It’s improved today. I won’t make you listen to the alt rock that’s been my ear worm, so here’s “September” a day late.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,352
    edited September 2022
    Options

Oh Serenity! So sorry to hear about your eye problem! Yikes, that sounds awful, and I hope it got better fast.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

threetree - Thank you! The pain ebbs and flows. It was bad this morning, and better now after applying creams. Guess I’ve become a slow healer. My arm is almost healed after over 2 weeks from CT scan. 😞

My husband has moved offices at work and asked for plants. He now has 4 plants that I propagated. He told me today that he just put it in his calendar to water on Mondays. After reminding him that he works from home on Mondays, he switched it to Tuesdays. Baby steps. 😁

• threetree
    edited September 2022
    Options

Serenity - Smile

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

SErenity - glad you are on the mend. Love Earth Wind & Fire - but we all need to learn new things, so don't worry about posting some alt rock occasionally.

• jazzygirl
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi ladies- I am back after a little break from social media the past month. Hard to read back but hoping everyone is okay here.

Dealing with some minor reactions to the latest vaccine here after getting the updated booster yesterday. Seems to be pushing through this morning, and hopefully will be back to my old self by tomorrow. I may take a sick day though if I need to though.

My fun story from yesterday is I met some women I used to work with here in a few years back for lunch. While we were there, Reba McEntire walked past us on the patio where we were sitting with several people into the restaurant. I was looking for something in my purse and didn't see her walk in, heard them shift the conversation to her all of a sudden and said "why are you talking about Reba?" They said she had just walked by into the restaurant. Wait, what? So I went in and saw her with some others in a smaller private room and then turned around and went back outside. One of the women seems to know some things about a show she is in (Big Sky) that is filming here right now. I am not a big country western fan but do kinda like her and it's always fun to see a celebrity here. NM has a lot of filming of streaming series and movies and seen others here before (i.e, the cast of Wild Hogs that filled here a good 15 or more years ago. They called New Mexico Tamalewood, lol.

Here's a nice ballad with Dolly and hope you enjoy my story and this song!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Minus - I'm in an 80s phase, and many of my ear worms are songs I remember from going out dancing. I noticed some were in the Dark and Gothic category. 😁 My family teases me about some of the music I play.

Jazzy - Welcome back! I hope you feel better soon after your booster. After my rash experience, I won't take Moderna again. Think I'll stick with Novavax until an intranasal vaccine is available. I'm not a fan of country music, but I do like many of their singers. Reba McEntire and Dolly Parton are wonderful.

My family and I have been binging Cobra Kai. It's fun to see clips from the original movies. It's inspired me to do some basic katas and floor exercises from when I studied martial arts long ago. I don't think I'll be breaking boards though or anything where I don't have at least one foot on the floor. No flying kicks or rolling on the ground.

Here’s a cover of “Ball of Confusion” by Love and Rockets. When I hear it, I can imagine myself dancing at 1 AM under strobe lights.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Feeling old. Instead of dancing at a club at midnight I feel like I ate too much today. Looking forward to not eating until Tuesday.

Cowboy Junkies - Walking After Midnight

• oldladyblue
    edited September 2022
    Options

Oh gosh, I saw Earth Wind and Fire so many decades ago now! Thanks for the memory jiggle. I forgot I even saw them.

The hurricane has changed paths and is not going over my city now. I feel sorry for those who thought they were safe and now find themselves in its path tonight/tomorrow.

I hope your eye pain goes away quickly. Ugh. How irritating that must be Serenity.

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

Serenity - OLD? No... I am old. No joke, I could have been at Woodstock - except I was raised in a paper bag by extremely conservative parents. . Never heard of Love & Rockets. But I do know Walking After Midnight - just not by Cowboy Junkies. I'm still hung up on your post of Orbitson "Crying"

Jazzy - good to see you back. I cut out a lovely article about all the vineyards in New Mexico. Wouldn't that be fun.

OldLadyBlue - Hope the hurricane continues to avoid you!!! Stay safe.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Minus - I'm not old enough to have gone to Woodstock. I also have conservative parents. I didn't go to a concert until I was 18. Love and Rockets was never mainstream, so most people have never heard of them.

Oldladyblue - Hope you're safe. I have family in Florida. They seem ok in Tampa and Naples for now. We'll know more tomorrow.

• threetree
    edited September 2022
    Options

My father tried to put the brakes on me going to things like concerts because he thought it was all "degenerate"; my mother was a bit more relenting. The first concert I ever went to was a Beatles concert and I think I was 12 or 13 - in the mid 60's. I begged and begged my mother and she finally gave in, but then we had the "problem" of my father, and she became my partner in crime. The plan became that I was going to spend the night at my friend's house (which I was going to do anyway, and then her mother was going to take us, her sister, and her sister's friend all to the concert). We decided to only tell my dad about my spending the night with my friend, but not the concert. He was of course, OK with that.

Well the next evening, when I was over at my friend's to "just spend the night", he was watching the local news and of course it was all about the Beatles being in town and giving a concert that evening. My mother told me that after the news segment about the Beatles being in town he looked over at her with incredulity and exclaimed, "So that's where she is tonight!" My mother sheepishly told him the truth and how she didn't see anything wrong with it, since my friend's parents, whom they knew and trusted were taking us and picking us up. I just never mentioned anymore in the future however, just went with my friends.

I actually would have been terrified to go to Woodstock. I had enough sketchy experiences with people at local concerts, that even at that young age, I knew something like Woodstock would have been way out of my league. I think all the "going to San Francisco with flowers in your hair" and it's "free love" would have been too much for me too. I got scared by older guys real easily - just never trusted them.

• oldladyblue
    edited September 2022
    Options

we did well through the hurricane. our power just came back on, it was out for about 24 hours. no real damage, just a small tree uprooted and resting on my roof.

• jazzygirl
    edited September 2022
    Options

Oldlady blue- whew good to hear. I see Florida has a huge amount of flooding from the storm surge.

My slice of joy is seeing one of my new fav jazz artists last night, Samara Joy. I think I shared about her before but she was in town last night as part of the NM Jazz Festival. Wow just wow, she has such a stage presence for a 22 year old. She was telling us that she recorded her first album as a junior at NYU, graduated in 2021 and then has been on the road touring internationally since then. She has been at jazz festivals all over the world, including the Monterry Jazz Festival that just finished. Jazz drummer legend Tootie Heath who also played in the festival was there last night and did a song with them. It was such a fabulous evening!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

threetree - Wow! Glad your mother made your first concert happen. The Beatles!

Oldladyblue - Wonderful news! My family in Tampa and in Naples are good as well. Unfortunately many people are not.

Jazzy - I think you posted one of her videos before. Had no idea she's so young.

We haven't had cream in the house since our last Whole 30. 😔 Today I put a dollop of vanilla ice cream in my coffee. 😋

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

BLue - great news that you're OK. Hope the rest of our FLorida sisters are safe.

ThreeTree - I never saw the Beatles live, but went to a number Beach Boys Concerts.

Jazzy - yes you did share. She's lovely.

Serenity - ice cream in coffee? What about chocolate ice cream? Or dulce de leche ice cream. Oh my...

• threetree
    edited September 2022
    Options

Minus - I saw the Beach Boys live too. Back then, they would have big line ups and if I remember they were with the British group the Yardbirds, and a few other "lesser" but popular performers of the day. Upset that I can't remember who all I saw during that concert - also can't remember who "opened" for who.

With my memory jog, I also think that the Beatles concert I went to and mentioned previously was the 2nd time they were here, because both my parents nixed it the first time. I also remember around that same time, another friend and I were just dying to go see the Rolling Stones when they came to town, but both sets of parents wouldn't let us go (we were about 13). My friend's older brother and a bunch of his friends were all going, and my friend and I were just super upset that we were not being allowed to go, so we vowed that I would spend the night there at her house and we would do nothing but play Stones records throughout the evening (and feel sorry for ourselves) since we couldn't actually attend the concert. Somehow, we got through a couple of Stones records and for some reason then that I'll never know, we switched to Herman's Hermit's records ("Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter") and finished out the whole evening all caught up in Herman's Hermits!!!!!???? We stopped feeling sorry for ourselves and had a great time just hanging out, but we really pumped her brother the next day with questions about that Rolling Stones concert.

I did manage to see the Stones too on their second trip here. That was another one with a real big line-up and I can't remember them all. I do remember that before the Stones came on, we saw Bobby Hebb(sp?) of "We're Barefootin'", and more, and then the Ronettes - they were worth it on their own. Huge police line-up in front of the stage and all along the edges (mostly men of course) and I seem to remember that while most all of the performers were on, they were watching straight out into the audience (mostly girls), but when the Ronettes came on, they all turned around and seemed to forget their duty to watch the crowd, and seemed to go a bit crazy themselves over the Ronettes (smile). Oh my, you're all bringing back so many memories. Thank you!

Those were Big Slices of Joy when they happened, but the memories bring back some of that JOY even now!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2022
    Options

Minus - Those would be great, too!

Threetree - My early concert adventures were so fun. I saw R.E.M. before they were huge. They talked to fans outside. Mike Mill's grandparents were there. I saw Red Hot Chili Peppers for $5 and sat on the stage.

There's a Twitter thread on dishwasher things that people didn't realize they could do. My husband caught me watching it, but it didn't show me anything new. This past week I ran the Self Clean mode on the oven, and the baking stone is satisfyingly smooth. I put the oven racks in the dishwasher (after removing the upper racks) with extra baking soda. It loosened up the burned bits so I could scrub them off. 👍