Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,935
    edited August 2022
    Options

Slice of Joy- smooth jazz artist, Eric Darius came to town last night and put on such a great show. The joint was jumping and we were on the dance floor shaking our booties all night long. I met him 10 years ago on a smooth jazz cruise and such a nice young men. His music and performace are even better now and still a nice guy. Here is a taste of what we heard last night. I will post some pics too.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited August 2022
    Options

Jazzy - nice music to start the week.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thanks Serenity, maybe no more singing, but instead of being in choirs I am now in the garden or the ceramic studio. It all comes out OK in the end.

That's why I like the musical posts on this tread. THAT is what I listen to these days.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2022
    Options

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2022
    Options

Jazzy - Sounds like a good show!

I watched Grease recently and had this song as an ear worm.

Olivia Newton-John - Hopelessly Devoted to You

RIP ❤️

• kathrynw1thasea
    kathrynw1thasea Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2022
    Options

On the way to my CT scan this afternoon, Mom and I listened to Frank Sinatra on SiriusXM. Neither of us can carry a tune in a bucket, so I was surprised when she started singing. I joined in on the chorus and we had a wonderful time on what began as a very stressful outing. Precious moments!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
    Options

Catherine - How fun! I have a terrible voice, too. Hope your CT results are good.

Frank Sinatra - One For My Baby (live) - What a performance ❤️😎

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
    Options

This looks fun!

Boogie Oogie Oogie

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,352
    edited August 2022
    Options

SerenitySTAT - Enjoyed the Boogie Oogie Oogie video. It reminded me of this one that I saw a couple of weeks ago. It had popped up on my YouTube "recommended for you" list. It was good for me - I was a kid during these times, but I sure remember the song and the way variety show dancers looked on TV. This was a little slice of joy for me - hopefully for you and others too:

• oldladyblue
    edited August 2022
    Options

Did anyone used to Disco dance? These videos brought back good memories.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2022
    Options

Oldladyblue- oh yes, I was a queen of the disco back in the day. There was a restaurant in my home town that was a steak house on one side, the most fun bar on the other. My friends and I used to dress up and sneak in under aged at 16 and 17 to go dancing. Strob lights and all. I met my boyfriend at that time at 17 and don't really remember us going dancing, seemed to be a thing with my girlfriends. Thanks for the memories. I wish I had some pictures from that time (oh the outfits we wore with platform shoes, etc.) I loved the 70s.

Kathryn- how nice to have a sing along on the way to a stressful apt. I too hope the scans go okay.

On the subject of Frank Sinatra, he has a couple duets albums you should check out on YouTube. Here is a nice live clip with Frank and Natalie Cole. Enjoy!

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

Great songs. Thanks everybody.

Reading Louise Penny. Oh her books are fun.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
    Options

I was too young to go disco dancing, but my older brother somehow conned me into being his practice dance partner at home.

He probably withheld food. We were latchkey kids. He cooked for us. 😕

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

And I was too old for disco - but my baby brother drug me out with him several times in the early 70s. My ex-DH - who hates any kind of dancing - stayed home to baby sit.

Serenity - how great that your brother cooked. My baby brother made gourmet meals after we were grown up, and he was especially good at concocting delicious cocktails. Unfortunately he died some time ago and I still miss him terribly.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
    Options

Look outside! Tonight is the last super moon of the year. The moon looks bright and full, but here it isn’t as dramatic as some pictures that people have posted.

The Neville Brothers - Yellow Moon will do. ❤️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
    Options

Minus - I’m sorry you lost your brother. My older brother became a pretty good cook. At university people would buy the food for him to cook. I’ve been spoiled. I’ve always ended up with people who cooked for me. Guess I’m that terrible a cook. 😬

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2022
    Options

My brother passed 30 years ago this year. I miss him a lot too. We used to play music together (he played the guitar, me on the flute). I was in my early 30s when we lost him and it deeply changed my life. It also helped me to focus on moving back out west to live here in New Mexico, which may not have happened otherwise. Hugs to all the sisters here missing their brothers.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2022
    Options

Slice of joy - cruising thru the back yard this morning

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thank you Serenity. Lovely tribute for Moth. She will be missed.

Hearing this song a couple of months ago made me dig out my copy of the book & read it again. Which convinced me to order a copy for my 7 year old niece for Christmas.

• oldladyblue
    edited August 2022
    Options

Luckily I still have my one and only sister. She has been a blessing to me.

re: disco dancing. It still makes me smile. I was lucky to take dance classes at the Air Force Airmen's club with a guy who had no girlfriend and just wanted to learn. So we'd dance every Friday. I guess I was the right age for it, 19 years old in 1976. He never was my boyfriend, but he was the best dance partner I had in this lifetime. Thanks for the happy lookback.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
    Options

We didn’t really have dance partners when I went out as a university student. At the time I listened mostly to alternative or progressive rock music (now called adult alternative 😧). The club I liked played alternative dance music. When a song like New Order’s Blue Monday started, we all danced. Now it’s played in a commercial.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
    Options

We officially completed a weak Whole 30. We did avoid all alcohol and cream. I don’t drink much alcohol, but I was having cream in my coffee too often. Without cream in the house I was able to do a longer overnight fast. Today I finished a ~40 hour fast. 👍

• oldladyblue
    edited August 2022
    Options

Wow, a 40 hour fast! That's impressive. Good job.

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

Went to see "Dream" yesterday - a production by two guys singing the songs & telling the story of the Everly Brothers. The audience was estatic. Loved Dream of course, and Bye Bye Love and Wake Up Little Suzie and Cathy's Clown. There were a couple of songs I didn't know. Below is one that hooked me.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2022
    Options

Been away from here for awhile. Hello to all! Oh yes, disco was a big deal for me! We had a local disco that offered lessons once a week. My dance cravings are now satisfied by Silver Sneakers Zumba Gold and Line Dancing classes. At one time, Silver Sneakers had a great class called Fit Steps that was taught by a UK professional ballroom dancer.

Not sure who may be aware of the various "healing" frequencies of music out there, so posting the following about the 9 Solfeggio Frequencies for Healing for anyone interested. You can find music out there on YouTube for each of these frequencies.

174Hz - Helps in Pain & Stress Relief 285Hz - Rapid Tissue Regeneration and Quick Healing 396Hz - Letting go Guilt, Fear and Balancing Root Chakra 417Hz - Wipes out all the Negative Energy 528Hz - Brings Positive Transformation and Builds Core Strength 639Hz - Frequency of Love and All things related to Heart 741Hz - Helps in Detoxifying the Body and promotes self expression 852Hz - Frequency of 3rd Eye Chakra. Awakens Intuition 963Hz - Pineal Gland Activator + Aura Cleansing

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
    Options

oldladyblue - And I just started another fast - 4 hours in. Last meal included pie from a local shop. Yum!

Minus - Love the Everly Brothers. That song sounds familiar, but I think I heard a cover of it.

celiac - Hi! I have seen some of those videos, but haven't really tried them. Will take another look. Thanks!

The Pretenders - I’ll Stand by You ❤️

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

Here's another one I didn't remember. Written by Carole King. Also sung as a duet by James Taylor & Art Garfunkel. "Cryin in the Rain"

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,352
    edited August 2022
    Options

I've always really liked that Everly Brothers song. They were great.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2022
    Options

I don’t remember that one either.

We finally watched the movie Belfast. Really good, but I did notice there were some Van Morrison songs I didn’t recognize. They did play a lot of his songs.

Ear worm

Janis Ian - At Seventeen ❤️