Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Options

Comments

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thanks for the music posts, since I don't know what to listen to, or mostly don't listen to anything, I really like them. Serenity, how did I miss "adult alternative"? I must have been hibernating. Fun song. And the tribute to Moth is so beautiful. I remember that book with a smile. Did you finish this fast?

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2022
    Options

Yes, I did another 40 hours. Today I think I fasted about 15 hours overnight. I like to vary it. In 2 weeks I might fast 3 days during my off week of Ibrance. I scheduled a Novavax vaccination after. I'll check with my MO about it. I'll probably take extra time off after the shot in case of side effects.

Our cable subscription includes music channels. I found the alternative rock that I listened to in the early 90s were categorized as “adult alternative". 😞 That's worse than when they went mainstream.

This video of a whale with the paddle boarder is amazing.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,935
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi ladies- working from home today and one of my friends runs the Thursday All that Jazz on our local NPR station. My friend is a vocalist and always finds the best music and here is something she played today that really caught my attention. Small fry by Alexis Cole. This is an old jazz standard from the 1930s I have never heard, but love this version. What a great voice Alexis has, a new favorite! Enjoy.....

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited August 2022
    Options

Lovely Jazzy. Looked her up and enjoyed her cover of "Cry Me A River".

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,935
    edited August 2022
    Options

Slice of joy - green Chile season in New Mexico.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

jazzy - Great music find! And those green chiles look delicious. 😋

I'm in the middle of a bunch of appointments. Xgeva shot is every 8 weeks. Port flush is every 3 months. MO check up is every 4-6 weeks. TMs are rising. ☹️ Have a CT scan this Saturday. Novavax vaccination next Saturday. Then I have an appointment for an ovarian cancer research study that includes a transvaginal US. I actually volunteered for this?

To occupy my mind I've been working on the plants. I repotted the orchids including the chocolate orchid that has buds. Hope I didn't kill any of them. It's also time to start bringing in the aloes from outside. Learning to not kill plants is a great way to keep my mind off things I can't change.

Here's a funky cover of I Will Survive.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Just texting with my older daughter. She's attending an online conference with a vampire cooking demo this weekend. I thought they eat only raw foods. She replied it's good to mix things up. I suggested that cooking kills a lot of anti-aging nutrients that keep vamps looking young. I asked her to let me know who was on the menu. Kids these days. 🥰

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

Serenity - I'll be interested to know what's on your daughter's menu.

I believe Jazzy is taking one of her periodic sabbaticals for the month of September so we may be w/o her posts for awhile.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Minus - I’ll let you know about the menu. Hope Jazzy has a fun September.

We’ve had a drop in temp today. Seems like summer is over here. Remember Cruel Summer?

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,352
    edited September 2022
    Options

Wow, Serenity. "Vampire cooking" - that's one I'd never heard of. Actually sounds kind of interesting.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

threetree - Her conference is on Sunday. We loved watching the Hannibal series so much that we have the cookbook using non-human meat. 😁

Sinne Eeg - The Windmills of Your Mind 👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

This is different. Interesting sound. Quite calming.

Hang Massive - End of Sky

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Had the worst failed attempt at starting an IV today. It was the first time I actually swore out loud. There was no nurse to access my port so the tech gave me 3 options: let her try again, let someone else try, or reschedule the CT scan. I asked for someone with the most experience. She said that was her, so I asked for the best one. I don't think she appreciated that. Still, the next technician came in, looked at my arm for a vein, and got it immediately without having to move the needle around. The rest of the appointment went smoothly.

I stress eat. My husband picked up burgers, chocolate, and Coke. When I finished that, I refilled my glass with the remaining Coke and added ice cream. A Coke float helps to flush out iodine, right? Feeling better now.

• threetree
    edited September 2022
    Options

Serenity - So sorry about your IV problem today! I love your, "asking for the best" in lieu of the most experienced. Good for you. Wow, an ice cream float - now there's a real nice slice of joy. Glad you are feeling better and have my fingers crossed re your scan results.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

threetree - Thank you! I don't have the easiest veins, but they're not impossible. I have a large bruise from the failed attempt. I couldn't imagine letting her try again. At least she listened when I wanted someone else. I've had others keep wanting to try. Now I know to make appointments on weekdays during business hours if I want a nurse available for my port.

• oldladyblue
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hehehe, great joke Serenity! I don't come on here as much anymore, just wanted to stop in on this thread and say Hi! and to thank you for the nice smiles I found on your thread. Sending you good thoughts.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

oldladyblue - Thank you! Drop in anytime though I understand it’s good to step away.

My chocolate orchid is in bloom! Wish I could share its scent through smellavision.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Ear worm

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide ❤️

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

Ah - Stevie Nicks... What a way to start the day. LOVE the guitar work. I didn't know this song so I looked up the lyrics. "well I've been afraid of changin'...Can I handle the seasons of my life" ??

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Minus - It's a beautiful song, isn't it?

How about this one? Watch the video to see all the talent on stage.

Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely ❤️

• threetree
    edited September 2022
    Options

Great one, Serenity! And to think that the Beatles used to open for him in the early 1960's.

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

Oh Lord - I don't think I can do Roy Orbison just before bedtime. I'll listen tomorrow.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Michael Sheen - ‘Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night’ by Dylan Thomas 🥰

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

Yes - thank you. Rage, Rage'.... I have not seen Michael Sheen speaking this. Excellent rendition.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Minus - He is so good.

Got my Novavax booster this morning. The nurse wondered why I wanted the injection in my thigh, so I explained that I had lymphedema in one arm and then showed her my bruised and scarred arm from last week's CT scan. Cancer Show and Tell. 😬

The injection site was a little sore for a few hours, but it feels ok now with no swelling at all. While I'm glad I was able to get the mRNA vaccines, I'm thrilled I was able to get Novavax. I plan to restart Ibrance tomorrow night. This is just a few days extra time off instead of weeks for the other shots. 👍

• oldladyblue
    edited September 2022
    Options

Pretty orchid Serenity! I've never seen one that color.

Out my kitchen window. Visiting squirrel today.

I finally figured out how to get a photo off of my phone and onto this site!!! Joy!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

oldladyblue - I love your garden! How are your orchids doing? My other orchids are working on new leaves and roots.

I’m a fan of Novavax. I only felt soreness at the injection site yesterday. I had the worst side effects from Moderna and mild effects from Pfizer. I’ll try to get another Novavax booster in 3 months. After that I would wait 5-6 months unless we get an intranasal vaccine.

Glad to hear good news from Ukraine 🇺🇦 🌻👍.

Invincible by Pat Benatar

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

This is a great Antonio Hart quartet rendition. The worst part was I KNOW the song, but spent 3 hours today trying to come up with the words & the title. Success - but I don't want to spoil it for everyone if you want do to your own "name that tune" quiz. Hint: 1943

I love this quote, although I would probably change the word "god" to something like Universe.

"(Jazz is) a music in which you become transparent, vulnerable and surrender always to God to use you to connect with people. It's the surrender and spirit that comes through the musicians."

Not sure if the link is live, but do copy & paste if it's not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLkvxp-I4t4

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2022
    Options

Minus - Good one, but I don't know the name. ☹️

Finished about 38 hours of fasting. We had some leftover fruit salad to break my fast. There was a melon of unknown type in our CSA basket. It was yellow on the outside and white inside. It was really good.

My younger daughter left for class today. She's wearing a chambray button-front shirt that I bought when I was 18. Only some edges like the points on the collar show wear. I distressed it for her. That's ultra slow fashion. I probably wrote about it before, but I always like to see them wearing my old clothes. 😊

George Harrison - What is Life ❤️

• minustwo
    edited September 2022
    Options

Kurt Weil 1943 - Speak Low When You Speak Love.

Speak low when you speak, love, Our summer day withers away Too soon, too soon. 
    Speak low when you speak, love, Our moment is swift, like ships adrift, We're swept apart too soon.
    Speak low, darling speak low, Love is a spark lost in the dark, Too soon, too soon,
    I feel wherever I go That tomorrow is near, tomorrow is here And always too soon.
    Time is so old and love so brief, Love is pure gold and time a thief.
    We're late darling, we're late, The curtain descends, ev'rything ends Too soon, too soon,
    I wait darling, I wait Will you speak low to me, Speak love to me and soon.