Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited September 2017

I make Parker House rolls for holiday dinners. A friend loves them, so as a birthday gift, I made the dough until the second rising and gave him frozen rolls to bake as needed.He loved them them so much that he didn't share any with his family.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

KB - Yum! In December, I love to make lemon curd and marshmallows. I give out lemon curd, but the marshmallows all get eaten by the family. Sometimes I make candied ginger, but I broke my glass thermometer in the pan last winter. No joy there! My husband loves to make ginger ale with the syrup.

I edited my original post to add an update on my sciatica. One week without Lyrica!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited September 2017

The deer pics were beautiful!!

I'm OK!! Yard flooded as usual, tree branches down, but we weathered the storm OK.

Family in Miami has power back at brother's house, but not at Mom's. Hers is always the first to go, and the last to come on. No major damage for them either. My family has been very lucky.

Off to continue yard clean up!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

Great news! My family with a house in Naples just had a tree fall down and no power expected until the end of next week. They are staying in Indiana for now. My family in Tampa said they're on the same power grid as the hospital, so they're in good shape.

• everymoment
    everymoment Member Posts: 6,656
    edited September 2017

Serenity... I have family in Florida without power. UGH!! They better load up on deodorant. Difficult to find a thin slice of joy.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

magiclight - I can't imagine being in Florida without power. I know there's a massive effort to get power back up, but it won't be fast enough. Then there are people who have lost even more. It is sad.

Since I'm back to working full time, I have less time to post here. I'll try to do more because I do like to share what I find. I'm actually working long hours because I can't stop sometimes. It was just a few months ago when I couldn't think about work, so that's a big difference (no longer addled by pain, pain meds, or chemo hangover?). Today was a really good day. I've got an idea that should really work for a new project. It just needs fine tuning.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

My flight from Montreal to Boston last week was late, but the plane was nice. The head rest in front of me had a USB port to charge my phone and a monitor to watch a movie. I sat right behind first class and had more leg room than they did. I couldn't even reach the foot rest! Good thing there was a little ledge along the side where I could put my feet up. Yes, my legs are that short, but they're not that short!

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited September 2017

Serenity, it's a thin slice of joy reading your post about feeling good and getting back to work with great ideas too. It gives us all hope for better days ahead.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

Faith - I'm glad it gives you hope. Remember to celebrate any progress or just good moments, no matter how small. Setbacks happen. Do what you can.

My morning joy:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

It's actually5 minutes of beauty.

• everymoment
    edited September 2017

Thanks Serenity and National Geographic Society. National Geographic Magazine was first published in 1888, the same year the society was established.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

Their pictures and videos are amazing!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

Long day working. Time for some Mental Floss. I visited this at the Art Institute a few years ago.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/63510/15-things-you...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

Got the new Wonder Woman DVD! Think I'm more excited about it than my kids.

I know it's big, but I can't edit the image size on my iPad.

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited September 2017

Thank you Serenity for that beautiful Antarctica video. Needed something like that right now. Almost 4AM here, woke with back (old) and tooth (new) pain, glad for the possibility to book dentist times on the internet --- got a time for today :)

I was surprised to spot this oak tree in a park I don't usually walk through. Oaks don't usually survive this far north (middle Finland). Yay fall colors

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

tessu - Beautiful leaves! Glad you can see a dentist so soon. Hope your back feels better.

This video is very short, but loaded with cute!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

Hello, hello, hello!

I've been working long days for weeks, but today I took the afternoon off to go the the museum! I went with a friend, and we both loved it. I really enjoy having music playing throughout the exhibit. I'll post some pics later this week, but the museum has some details. It's about more than the Beatles.

https://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/exhibitions/on-view/revo...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

I didn't take many pictures. It was a big exhibit and viewing it wearing a headset that played the soundtrack was an immersive experience. I wish I could have shared more.

The first thing you see is this, but it was more dramatic from below. Those outfits were worn by the Fab Four.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

There were many photos, posters, fashion, video clips, art, and music from the late 60s. There was a video of the bed in by John and Yoko here in Montreal. This big room was set up like one in the Chagall exhibit with floor cushions. They played clips of Woodstock. Here is Jimi Hendrix playing at 8 am due to delays.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

Pants on display at the gift shop, but not for sale.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited September 2017

That looks like a terrific exhibition. I wonder if it will move to other cities. I'd like to see that one.

Thanks for sharing!

• everymoment
    edited September 2017

Serenity...thanks for taking and sharing the photos. Love the bright green lounge pillows to view that part of exhibit.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2017

hi, this video is amazing! Old-time movie stars dance to Uptown Funk.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

Faith - I didn't see anywhere that the exhibit would be on tour. It should.

magiclight - The cushions were always occupied!

badger - That was great! I've always loved old musicals. That freshened them up.

Earlier today the pup was running between waiting for my husband to get his shoes on for a walk and watching my daughter eat leftover steak. It's a rough life.
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

I was holding out! After the Revolution exhibit, we stopped at another exhibit on haute coutour wedding designs.

https://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/exhibitions/on-view/love...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

They projected faces on some of the mannequins, and they spoke to each other. Kinda creepy.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2017

Longest train ever!