Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• Joyseeker
    Joyseeker Member Posts: 247
    edited December 2017

THAT is a very joyful list!! I get a sciatica twinge every now and then. I can’t imagine managing it daily like you did. How are you tolerating the Tamoxifin?

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    edited December 2017

serenity, like you I was thinking how the only meds I was now taking that are new since diagnosis is the l-glutamine and b6 for neuropathy, all the other junk for SE are gone, praise the Lord!

My slice of joy is a to continue and finish the decorating today. So happy to want to and be able to do it as I fully thought I wouldn't be able this year. What a pleasant surprise.

Enjoy your day

• Joyseeker
    edited December 2017

imageJoy are these faces. Spent a wonderful day in Calgary riding beautiful horses with our trainer. Then out for a delicious meal at Chianti. My daughter is on the right 💕

• T-Sue
    T-Sue Member Posts: 207
    edited December 2017

Here was my slice of joy last week- having my folks in for Thanksgiving. I felt energetic enough to make turkey roulade (ahead of time) and cook the dressing in scooped-out sugar pumpkin.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited December 2017

Joyseeker - I had some joint stiffness a few weeks after starting Tamoxifen, but that went away in a few weeks on its own. My hair at the top of my head seems to grow slowly. Is that from Tamoxifen or remnants of chemo? Fortunately, I have no other side effects. I've had insomnia since I was young, so I can't blame it on the meds. Chronic pain is awful. I thought that I would have it all day every day for the rest of my life. Glad to be wrong. Have you tried nerve flossing? I haven't been doing it lately, but it helped. Now I'm doing the resting squat which seems to give a good stretch along my sciatic nerve. Your daughter has the sweetest smile!

Teese - Do you still have neuropathy? My neuropathy went away when I started B12 and an antihistamine. About a month after chemo I was able to stop the antihistamine without the neuropathy returning. I still like to take B12 every so often. Good work getting your decorations done!

T-Sue - That looks delicious! Great use of the pumpkin. One less dish to wash!

We went on an IKEA run, and I should have enough liners to cover the remaining shelves. I bought their mesh magazine holder to organize things like the foil/plastic wrap/parchment paper. There's not much storage under the cooktop because we have the down draft in that cabinet. But there's about a 10-in deep area that's open. It will not sit empty. We have a new arrangement of cabinets, so we're still trying to figure out what should go where. Cabinets are slowly getting filled. My older daughter has a tea drawer.

Our new faucet has a spray setting that's so strong that it can remove all the coffee grounds from the French press. All!

ThumbsUp

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    edited December 2017

wow that spray attachment on your faucet sounds wonderful! Haha it’s the little things!

My neuropathy is just tingling in my feet that comes and goes. No numbness. I won’t complain.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017

Love all these pictures, Joyseeker you and your girls look so beautiful and love your partner!

Sue such a happy family picture.

Pretty Dahlia .......

here is a picture of super moon this morning

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Teese - I love the little things! I'm glad your neuropathy isn't too bad. I had burning sensations in the soles of my feet that made walking painful. The only nerve thing I have left is a tiny spot of numbness on the side of one toe. It's from the sciatica, but I hardly notice it now.

Paulette - Love your picture! I hope your recovery is going well.

I went into the office today. There's a fairly new person there, and we briefly talked about our kids. When I told her how old my kids are, she asked if I had them when I was 10! Glad chemo didn't permanently age me. When I was hairless, I didn't recognize my reflection. Now I have hair again, and my skin looks back to normal.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited December 2017

Joys of the week

DD1 is getting home for Christmas tomorrow, she’s finished her first term at college. She’s loving it there and has a new boyfriend.

DD2 and DD3 are 12 and 13 and a bit hormonal, they regularly go crazy and shriek at each other, usually related to one of them being locked in the bathroom and the other needing to get in. Both have been mostly lovely this week. Writing a Christmas wish lists seems to improve their behaviour around the house for some reason.

We’ve watched a couple of Christmas movies this week and had a flurry of snow.

We’re going to get a Christmas tree tomorrow.

My dog is a delight.

My husband has been working really long hours this week. When he’s tired and stressed he always manages to find something entertaining and funny about his day to tell me. I love him.

We’ve decided to move house next year so that we’ll have an extra bathroom. I plan to declutter the place ready to sell in the spring.

Hope everyone is feeling joyful.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

ScotBird - Enjoy having the whole family together! It's incredible how well kids behave when making out their Christmas lists. ;) Having extra bathrooms is much better when you have a family. Which movies did you watch? Our Christmas movies are Die Hard and Die Hard 2.

Still slowly moving things back into the kitchen. Countertop and cooktop should be installed this coming week. I'm already planning my brunch for next weekend: Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict With Dill Hollandaise with Mashed Potato, Cheddar and Chive Waffles. Would mimosas be too much?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

I like to play videos of puppies barking because I love to see my pup tilt her head.

What Makes Dogs Tilt Their Heads?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/70205/what-makes-do...

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017

Hi ladies, just want to drop by and say hi. I always lurking this thread.

Have a nice weekend.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Paulette - Nice to see you!

I love the Lion King! I haven't seen the Broadway show, but I took the kids to Disney World and saw the Lion King show in the Animal Kingdom. It was awesome! Watch this video, preferably on a tablet or smartphone. You can change your view!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

I haven't been nerve flossing for many weeks. Instead I started daily resting squats. It seems to have loosened up all tightness in my calf from sciatica.

ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

They disconnected my sink and faucet yesterday, but I'm able to sit at my new countertop with laptop and coffee. I can still run my magnificent dishwasher. Backsplash is being installed. Still have to think about paint.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

I went to the office Christmas dinner tonight. I hadn't planned on going, but a friend offered to drive. My husband is out of town with the car, so I probably would have stayed home. Instead I had a mango martini, lobster ravioli, and tiramisu. Delicious! This may be the third or fourth time I've had pasta in a year. I'm much lighter since cutting back on wheat. As long as I don't make it a habit, splurges have had no lasting effect.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Pup is a fantastic leg warmer. Maybe I should give her more food so she covers more of my legs?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Everything is hooked up in the kitchen! For lunch I dug out a small frying pan to make scrambled eggs.

The new ceramic floor in the kitchen retains heat from the vent.

• Joyseeker
    edited December 2017

Joy. One needle, two socks 💕. Finally taught myself howimage

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Joyseeker - Beautiful!

Sushi Friday works even better in the new kitchen!

Pup and I took a short nap after dinner. I woke up to her making groaning noises.

It's that time of year to light a candle in the evening.

• scotbird
    edited December 2017

Lovely Joyseeker! Serenity I’m so excited about your new kitchen, it sounds amazing. I’m feeling inspired to make my surroundings a bit better.

I’ve started lighting candles in the evenings too, it’s so cosy.

Last night my whole family were all out at different events, and it was just me and the dog at home (which never usually happens. To begin with I felt a bit left out and didn’t know what to do. Then I made some spaghetti bolognese, had a glass of wine and watched 3 episodes of The Good Wife back to back while sorting through some old papers that had been in a large heap for about 5 years, and managed to file them all away (mostly in the bin). A very good evening!

X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

ScotBird - Still finding new joys from my kitchen. We went from dark brown cabinets to white cabinets and made the space more open. I love how everything is lighter.

Potato waffles were delicious and fillingyesterday. We held off on the salmon and hollandaise. We didn't have dinner, and I'm still not hungry.

This is a good dog.

• Joyseeker
    edited December 2017

That IS a good dog!! House progress. Joy. image

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Joyseeker - That will be a great porch! Very exciting! Keep taking pictures, especially the wiring before the drywall covers it all up. We've had to use photos to find the wiring for switches that were overlooked.

It is so cold today. Fortunately we have a natural gas fireplace with a remote! ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

It's been just over 2 years since my mastectomy. I had a checkup with my MO today. Blood work is good, and even better, no sciatic pain means no need for a bone scan! I can also schedule my port flushes every 3 months instead of every 6 weeks. Next MO appointment is in 5 months.

Came home and took a nap on the couch. I woke up to my husband giving my teen daughter serious cooking tips as he made dinner. She was really attentive and asked questions. I just listened to them.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

We have ninja cookie cutters. I'll ask the kids to make these! Don't know about the throwing stars though.

• T-Sue
    T-Sue Member Posts: 207
    edited December 2017

My joy today was baking this Victorian sandwich cake for my family gathered together for the holiday. We are all fans of The Great British Baking show. 😊

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

T-Sue - That looks delicious! We're fans of that show, too!

The kitchen reno is done today! They had to redo some of the backsplash. I have an idea for paint, but I can do it myself if it's just a few walls, but that will need to wait.

We can finally get started on our holiday baking this weekend. I'm going to enjoy rolling out dough on the new counter.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Happy Holiday weekend!

My older daughter brought me the best fudge. We had some last night. (That's my new counter!)

• scotbird
    edited December 2017

The counter and the fudge both look lovely. It must be great to have the new kitchen at last

I’m snuggling up on the sofa watching Meet me in St Louis with my mum who’s arrived for Christmas.

Happy holidays!

X