Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited December 2017

T-Sue- Lovely pic of you and your yummy cake.

Happy Holidays to All!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited December 2017

Hmm.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

ScotBird - That's a classic movie! Having the kitchen done is such a relief. It was difficult working at home when workers are here. My pup did bond with the general contractor, and I'm jealous! :)

The kids have been baking cookies all day. They made madeleines for me. We still have things in weird places. The rolling pin was in the entertainment center in the basement. At least I knew exactly where it was when asked.

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2017

image‘Tis the Season. My cat is ready to be done. image

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

KB870 - Sounds like a great visit!

TaRenee - That is the first Christmas sweater I've seen on a cat. Adorable!

Merry Christmas! A friend stopped by and loved our new kitchen. I gave her a tour of all the cabinets. We planned on having them over for dinner soon. We were hoping before Christmas, but the reno took a bit longer than expected.

My pup is extra sweet today. She's got icing on her head!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Got some time while dinner is cooking? Dance!

Addams Family dancing to the Ramones

https://vimeo.com/131936997

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

I love central heat/electricity. I have no idea how people survived in this tundra before. Last night the power went out a few times. Fortunately it didn't last long, and the interior temp dropped only a few degrees.

The roads weren't too bad today, so we did some shopping. We bought new wine glasses with some Christmas $$$.

Drinking tea while under a blanket now.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Dogs are the best!

Here is last year's video that I missed.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017

Happy New Year!

Thank you for all the posts, they really helped during my difficult time!

• PauletteK
    edited December 2017

Happy New Year!

Thank you for all the posts, they really helped during my difficult time!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited December 2017

Happy New Year everyone. Paulette I ageee, this thread is the best. Thanks Serenity for starting it.

I’m trying to “move on” from cancer so I only check in about once a week now, but I try to be joyful every day, and before I go to sleep I think of the 3 best things that happened during the day, and feel grateful for all my good fortune.

On Christmas night I finally reached the end of Game of Thrones season 7, which I’ve enjoyed watching with my husband after all the children are asleep. The perfect end to the year!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Happy Last Sunday Morning of the Year! Got my coffee in hand.

Paulette - I'm thrilled that the posts have helped you! I hope your recovery goes well!

ScotBird - I find myself laughing more easily and more often since I started this thread. Wasn't Game of Thrones incredible?

My active treatment ended just over a year ago, and I was exhausted from the treatments and the increased pain. My recovery had been slow, but I am still amazed that my sciatic pain is gone. (I wish what worked for me would work for everyone with chronic pain.) I do get tired, but I no longer have the same amount of fatigue. This past year has gone pretty well for me.

There is much room for improvement. I don't do resolutions, so I plan to continue what I've been doing all year. I'll just find more of the little things that make me feel better.

• sswp
    sswp Member Posts: 61
    edited December 2017

What a great thread.  

Yesterday I went out in public for the first time with my wig.  I wore it to the wig shop to get another one fitted that I had ordered in.  When the salesgirl saw me (not the one I saw on my first visit), she thought it was my real hair.  Relieved I have found a way to look normal when I want to and have gotten the wig thing out of the way.  After the wig shop, we went to our regular date night restaurant with my husband and our kids.  

• PauletteK
    edited December 2017

Yesterday I had my first coffee, I haven’t had one since July. It was so good, I finally can taste coffee. Taste buds slowly get back, so wonderful. Still have three weeks of radiation, I’m counting my days and praying skin will hold up well.

Happy new year to all! I will try my best to enjoy each day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Welcome, sswg! So glad you found a good wig. I never did and wore hats all the time.

Paulette - Yay, you can drink coffee again! It's a step in the right direction.

Are you ready for the Year of the Dog?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

We're ready! Here's my pup trying out our new blanket. It works for her. ThumbsUp

• jojobird
    jojobird Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2018

Sswp, hooray on the wig! Looking good does so help how we feel inside, and I am so glad you got that date night. Those are so important!

And Paulette, ooh, coffee rocks! It is a basic need for me, and returning to it can be such a sign of returning to "normal." Kudos!

I woke up this morning and said to myself," I have my vision, I have my feet, I have my daughter and husband and a warm place to live." Came downstairs and fixed some coffee and wrote a bit. So grateful for this day, for this new year. Love to all.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2018

Napped with the pup.

Dark chocolate-covered strawberries for dessert.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2018

Serenity - Your pup is so cute. Nice to have a snuggle buddy in this cold. Someone at the office brought in homemade bourbon & chocolate covered cherries and also "plain" chocolate covered cherries. Had a bourbon one with my AM coffee - Yum! Think I will go back and have one for dessert if any are left.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2018

Celia - Those sound yummy! Hope you were able to get more!

Pup is very snugly, but sometimes I don't produce enough heat for her. I came downstairs this morning and found her in the kitchen with her butt up against the heating vent. Baby, it's cold outside!

Our new kitchen is magical! My husband just cleaned the cooktop and fan. Without being asked. He's never cleaned the fan in his life!

Medicating

• sswp
    edited January 2018

Thanks for the warm welcome. I had a scare yesterday, found a lump on my surgery arm. Received quick and competent assessment from the cancer Center, turned out to be a cyst and nothing to be concerned about.

During all this, I was suppose to return to work since my 1st chemo infusion and holiday break. I decided I will put myself and my health first before work and will make no apologies for it. This is hard for me because I run a family business and family guilt and obligation is a tangled web for me. It felt empowering to not feel the guilt. It also helps that my staff and I are getting used to having me run things remotely. Yay for technology for giving me the tools to boss people around even when I’m stuck at medical appointments or feeling not up to leaving the house lol

• sswp
    edited January 2018

Just got back from my first day at the office after 1st chemo infusion. Wore my wig and got compliments from the my staff (all male). They're probably just being polite, Only a few staff members know I'm going through chemo & that I have breast cancer, most don't. Obviously the ones that know know it's a wig. Felt good to be back at the office and being productive. I know there will be days that I won't be feeling up to being at the office so grateful for each day I am able to because it makes me feel normal.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2018

sswp - Glad your scare turned out to be OK and that it was handled quickly. It's definitely a good idea to put your health first before work. During chemo, just do what you can. Don't worry about doing everything. Drink lots of liquids!

My older daughter made more pupcakes. Pup seems to know they're for her. She sits by the counter staring in their direction (she can't see them) while they cool. It's very cute.

I weighed myself today. I'm up less than 5 pounds from before the holidays. Not too bad.

• sswp
    edited January 2018

I went out on date night with hubby with wig #2. I like it even more than my work wig. It's more delicate because of the lace front so it worked out that I have two I look ok in.

Thanks for the reminder about the liquids Serenity. I drank a lot of fluids around chemo time but need to keep it up, cycle two is a little over a week away.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2018

sswp - Very nice! Glad you're able to go out.

I wish I could be this joyful!

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited January 2018

Love it! Go, Dog, GO!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2018

Maybe the dog is part Norweggian? They have a concept similar to hygge. ThumbsUp

https://quartzy.qz.com/1172760/how-to-stay-cheerfu...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2018

I have found the benefits of having a positive mindset in many articles that I've posted in this thread. I don't see it as just "thinking positively ". That oversimplifies it. When I was in extreme pain, it helped to notice a funny video, but that wasn't enough. I needed to also do my exercises and notice improvements no matter how small. Otherwise, I would have been too discouraged to continue. I was lucky to overcome my pain, but even while I was in pain, I felt better. It also helped to find or do things that would make my life a little better.

Having a positive mindset is more active than thinking positively. I work to have a positive mindset. I spent too many years thinking negatively. That was easy, but not fruitful.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2018

Had a call with a coworker who wanted to pick my brain. I actually came up with an idea for him. Some days I think I'm not as smart as I used to be. Nice to know I've still got some brain cells working.