Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited November 2017

The whole family went to see the new Thor movie. It was great! ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2017

Drones have the best view!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2017

Squatting is getting easier.

I noticed sometimes that I'm not breathing deeply. Based on this article below, I need to work on that.

https://qz.com/1132986/neuroscientists-have-identi...

So...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2017

Hope everyone celebrating Thanksgiving is safe and at peace!

Cabinet installation is ongoing. Appliances were delivered today. I'm drooling over all Thanksgiving food talk. My husband sent me this link for leftover mashed potatoes. When my kitchen is done...

http://joythebaker.com/2013/09/mashed-potato-cheddar-and-chive-waffles/

In the meantime, I think I'll do a 24-hour fast. I haven't fasted more than 18 hours since chemo. I would like to do a 3-day fast every few months.

The pup has been enjoying the kitchen reno too much. She expects attention from everyone. Today she saw someone new and barked at her. She hasn't done that before. Fortunately it didn't last long. Then in the chaos she was fed dinner twice. I thought she was telling me she was hungry, but it turned out, her water bowl was elsewhere, and she was trying to tell me she was thirsty. Please note she did not refuse the second dinner.

Look at this wee pup!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2017

Milestone post!

It's been 2 years since diagnosis and just over a year since I started this thread. That first year I spent just mustering the strength to get through the next few steps in my treatments. Focused on what I needed to do to minimize the side effects, I couldn't think beyond that.

A year ago I was in so much pain after my treatments were over, and I was scared that would be my "new normal". (I really dislike that phrase.) I'm pleased that pain is long gone. I have some mild lymphedema and some discomfort from that. My hair is a bit thinner than I'd like. I am fortunate that I have no other side effects. I still have some dark thoughts creeping in, but I don't dwell on them. Given my curmudgeonly self, I don't expect them to stop.

This kitchen reno is a big step forward. I was concerned about the expense, but it will be worth it. My husband is the cook, and he deserves a nice kitchen! If we had done this before BC as planned, I would have wanted to do (and spend) less. This past year I've managed to not only overcome the pain, but I've practiced savoring life by looking for slices of joy in all sizes.

Original post:

Have a wondrous day!

• Joyseeker
    Joyseeker Member Posts: 247
    edited November 2017

From a woman in the middle of treatment, thank you for this hopeful, joyful post 💕💕.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited November 2017

Will come back read the posts later today..... sorry kind of busy this morning

• Joyseeker
    edited November 2017

I’ve been knitting a lot during treatment. If this isn’t joy I don’t know what is. Toque model 💜image

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    edited November 2017

PIE!!Heart

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited November 2017

Joyseeker love the picture. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. It’s just a normal weekend in Scotland. I’m finding joy today in perfect frosty clear dry weather. It’s beautiful.

I’ve just pre-ordered Game of Thrones season 7 which I haven’t seen yet as I started watching from the beginning this summer and it take me a while to watch 60 hours of TV. It comes out on DVD in a fortnight. I can’t wait.

X

• T-Sue
    T-Sue Member Posts: 207
    edited November 2017

Thank you Serenity for launching this thread! I don't post much but I glean plenty of joy following you all! Have a wonderful weekend!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2017

Joyseeker - Great picture! I love that dimpled smile!

Grandma - Pie is awesome. Leftover pie even better!

ScotBird - Enjoy season 7! It's the best yet.

T-Sue - Glad to have you following!

This has been the most stressful week of the kitchen reno. The cabinet installation is taking longer than I expected. He was supposed to finish on Friday, but he was here yesterday on Saturday and needs to come back on Monday. I'm not a morning person, and I've had to be up early every day. It felt so good to sleep in today. I find now that I can't work unless I've gotten enough rest. Still pleased with the installer's work though. He's an excellent craftsman. Can't rush quality.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday when most of my appliances are installed. The cooktop won't be installed until after the countertop is in place (in about 2 weeks). Having the dishwasher will make up for it.

In the meantime, pup is providing much needed cuddle therapy.

Have a great Sunday!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2017

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited November 2017

How's everyone thanksgiving? Hope everyone had a wonderful time!

I hate remodeling especially kitchen. Once I finished all my treatment, I will need to some works done in one of the bathroom. So it’s going to be messy in the house also.

• Joyseeker
    edited November 2017

PauletteK we are building a new house on the farm about 10 steps away from our old house. My joy is that the mess is over there and I’m not living in it. I call it my “healing house”. I don’t envy you living amoung your reno!

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November 2017

Had a wonderful TG, in Providence, RI area with cousins. Lovely seafood meals on Tues & Weds & lots of white wine. We were invited to a friend's for TG. The friend is a BC survivor. She and her 92 yr old mom (also a BC survivor) cooked up a storm. Mashed & then baked so crispy on the edges potatoes, roasted & then mashed turnips, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes (individually, not all together) plus fresh baby peas, creamed onions, homemade dressing & gravy, and the turkey! We took red and white wines, homemade pineapple flavored vodka (made by marinating chopped pineapple for several days in vodka & then draining the vodka out) pecan pie & pumpkin pie. What a glorious feast!

• Joyseeker
    edited November 2017

I’m Canadian. Can someone explain creamed onions? That’s not a usual on my thanksgiving or Christmas menu...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2017

Paulette - This is my first big renovation. I'll be so glad to have it all done.

Joyseeker - I wish we didn't have to live through it! How long until your house is complete? It's exciting to build new. I don't know about creamed onions either. I remember having creamed corn and creamed spinach as a kid, but I prefer my cream in pies and coffee. ;)

Celia - Nice spread! I love pecan and pumpkin pies. I've never tried pineapple flavored vodka. Intriguing!

I love my dishwasher! I've run 2 loads. It's so quiet! My appliances were installed yesterday, a day early. We're cleaning the cabinets and beginning to line them. We'll load the cabinets as they get lined. I'm working on moving the food to the new fridge. I've run the ovens at 350 for 30 mins as the manual suggested to get rid of odors (I read the fine print!). No cooktop until the counter is installed, but the dishwasher is awesome!

• celiac
    edited November 2017

Joyseeker - Never had the creamed onions as a TG item before this TG. They used the small "pearl" onions - "traditional" TG item for family that hosted us for TG. I don't believe they use a recipe, just something passed down in the family.

• Joyseeker
    edited November 2017

Interesting on the onions. My house will be done in March. The finish carpenters are there. Next is floors and cabinetry. It’s a wonderful distraction. I call it my healing house.

Today’s joy is a clean car. I had enough energy to wash and clean the interior. Seriously though. It was a crime scene in there!!

• Joyseeker
    edited November 2017

My daily walking partner. image

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    edited November 2017

joy seeker, beautiful partner you have there

• celiac
    edited November 2017

joyseeker - What a wonderful walking partner you have! Wish I had one just like that. Lovely smile you have, also.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

Joyseeker - That's such a great picture!

We are all loving that our kitchen is mostly functional. Getting a drink is so simple when the glasses are next to the fridge instead of in the laundry room cabinet in the basement.

• Teese
    edited December 2017

Serenity, I can see where the glasses thing is a real slice of joy. ;-

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

iTeese - Having things inconveniently located has been so stressful. At least we have plates, glasses, and flatware where they belong. This weekend I need to buy more shelf liners, but the main things are accessible. But I still have wine glasses in my bathroom cabinet and pans in my bedroom closet. Shocked

I still love my dishwasher! ThumbsUp

This photo is gorgeous!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited December 2017

Nearly there Serenity, it’s going to be so great when it’s done. I’m really keen on my dishwasher too, what a great invention.

It’s starting to feel like Christmas. I am not religious in the sense of having any particular faith but I love all kinds of religious and cultural rituals and traditions from all faiths. Love Christmas carols and movies too, although I’m not keen on the gift part of Christmas.

In December I always light advent candles before dinner on the Sundays up to Christmas, starting with a candle of Hope tomorrow, followed by candles for Love, Joy and Peace, and finally a white candle on Christmas Day. I always say a little prayer when lighting them, my family are not religious either:they put up with me! It’s my favourite Christmas tradition. X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

ScotBird - Our old dishwasher broke a few weeks before the renovation started. Going without it for so long makes me more appreciative now. You have a lovely tradition. As soon as our countertop is in place, I can start our holiday tradition of making lemon curd, marshmallows (much better than store bought), and cinnamon rolls. I want to try making a Yule Log or Bûche de Noël. I love to make stuff!

I've read I'm not supposed to multitask, but here I am drinking my coffee in a resting squat watching TV writing this post.

Have a great day!

• Teese
    edited December 2017

Lovely dahlia, color is exquisite!

I love this time of year also. I love Sunday masses leading up to Christmas. The advent wreath is huge and the first thing to appear. Later closer to Christmas we have our Christmas concert and then the huge nativity comes out and the church is filled with trees, candles and poinsettias.

I'm decorating the house this weekend, just finished putting up my own nativity. Enjoy reading about your Christmas traditions, thank you for sharing.

Theresa

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2017

More clean up and moving things into the kitchen. I had music playing and danced a bit. Then my older daughter asked me to turn my music down. Sometimes I wonder who the parent is. Loopy

I decided to make an IKEA list and ran across this old list of meds. I crossed off all the meds I took for sciatica. I haven't taken any since summer. Woohoo!