Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited February 2020

oh wow Serenity. That is an amazing thing and I love that it travels like this... tho I hope one day it will end up in the back of a drawer because nobody will need a metastatic cancer talisman anymore

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited February 2020

What a great idea. I am going to pass along a few of my little treats to other who may need them. My dear friend gave me a prism to hang in the window to remember there is so much light. I think that one will go to its next home.

(But I am keeping my key catcher that says "Where The Fuck Are My Keys" - it is still relevant!)

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2020

Gamb - I love the bracelet, and the note makes it even more special.

moth - I hope to send it back so she can put it away because no one will need it again.

santabarbarian - Given how it's made my husband and me feel better, I recommend sending the prism in the same manner.

It fits!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2020

This pup failed training with style! Loopy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2020

Rode the train today. Came home covered in wet snow. It was slippery out there, but I didn't fall. Winter is still here.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Today I woke up with no pain from mouth sores or joints.

The phlebotomist today was very good and said I could ask for her anytime.

TMs continue downward trend.

Celebrated with a bag of Cheetos.

Medicating

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

I dropped my wallet in an Amtrak station prior to getting on a train, and it was returned to me with nothing gone!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

ThumbsUp

I have returned a wallet and a phone. I did find a $20 bill once. My younger daughter took it from me.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Beautiful Italian balcony opera (edit to add context: amidst coronavirus lockdown)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=282274...

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

That made me cry

Bravissimo!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Glad you liked!

Here’s an article with links to virtual tours of museums around the world.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/museums-galleries/museums-with-virtual-tours

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Still have lots of snow on the ground, but ... I heard a bird! Sun is out. A cat is teasing my pup from outside.

I am a master at social distancing. Seems I've been training for it all my life, but didn't know it.

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

Hahaha.... so true! Medical patients and introverts are already so good at hunkering at home!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Exactly! I still have hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes from chemo days, so I haven't had to buy those. Everything else has been our usual buy. Our monthly Costco run happened just before people started hoarding. We had trouble finding rubbing alcohol.

For food we could last for a while though the menu would get weird. What goes with canned fish, jerky, protein powder, seaweed, and gelatin? We would miss milk and eggs. We can make bread.

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

Haha, that's a gnarly combo for 'stone soup'....

My son and I are using the time at home to cook from scratch and try new stuff. He made some pasta (the noodles too) the other day, with lots of cancer-fighting mushrooms and alliums, that was really excellent. I am making a fruit tart this am.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Fresh pasta is delicious. My husband has made it before. The best one was when he rolled fresh thyme into the dough. Using the pasta roller he's made rosemary crackers. In stores they're sold as artisinal crackers and sell for $10/box!

I'm getting hungry. What kind of fruit tart did you make?

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

Thought it was tart dough in fridge but it was pie dough, so I made pie... 2 mini mixed berry baby-pies and one apple pie w crumble topping

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

I eat very little sugar and flour so when i do have it I want something fantabulous.

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

(& a thick slice!)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Those sound good! We try not to eat much bread/sugar. We used to be better keeping it to a few times a year that I would make bread or desserts. But now my kids bake, so we have them more often. Darn! ;)

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

The berry pies came out great with VERY little sugar. You would not even need the lower shell if you made it in a small ramekin. I put a bit of pie crust on the bottom of a small (single serving) ramekin. Mixed strawberry slices with whole raspberries and blueberries, then those sprinkled with about 1/2 tsp sugar, then put berries in ramekin. then topped with a crumble of flour /sugar and butter (use about 1 tsp crumble). Bake at 400 till bubbling. YUM.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Sounds delicious! I have small ramekins.

I've made this recipe twice after my husband mistakenly bought whole wheat flour. I'll probably make it again this week. It requires no kneading, and it yields 3 boules (baked as we need). The dough keeps in the fridge for over a week. The bread has a more sourdough taste the longer it's been fermented. It's tasty and simple.

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/refrigerator-stored-artisan-boule-with-whole-grains

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

I really appreciate my family. My O-positive husband has been regularly donating blood. Later this month he will donate again. My older daughter will go with him for her first donation. My younger daughter doesn't meet height/weight requirements. I'm not eligible, of course.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Loopy

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

i am going to give those boules a try when I can find some whole wheat flour!

I feel my inner Laura Ingalls Wilder coming on!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Tips for dough:

1. Mix salt into flour before adding to yeast
    2. I use the inner pot from my broken slow cooker (yay, I found a way to reuse it!)
    3. For first bake, divide dough into equal portions using kitchen scale
    4. Prepare one portion to bake and the other portions go into separate bowls back into fridge
    5. Bake as needed

Enjoy!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Live penguin feeding in 5 minutes!

https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/live-cams/penguin-cam/

I also like the live cams of the jellies.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited March 2020

My family is isolating all together (six of us aged from 14 to 91 years old. It’s now been 2 days since anyone went anywhere except our garden. Normally this would be completely joyous! Now the joy is mixed with anxiety. So far we’ve been peaceful and able to work. I’ll take that!! X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

ScotBird - Always good to hear from you! Glad you're safe. My kids have been home for a week. My husband and I went to the hospital today for my CT scan. It was comforting to see that everyone who entered was screened and masks were available if needed. There wasn't much traffic on the way home which is unreal. Glad people are staying home.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Loopy