Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2020

Have a listen. Far from Deliverance sound.

https://twitter.com/SteveMartinToGo/status/1241408...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited March 2020

Beautiful. People can be so beautiful. Thank you for sharing that.

I remember in my bald days.... in the baggage claim at the airport, & wearing my cancer cap, a sweet 20ish girl came up and asked me if I needed help collecting my bags. It was so touching.

"La Grande Bellazzia"/ The great Beauty. Semi recent Italian movie - Serenity if you have not seen it I predict you would LOVE it

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    edited March 2020

Humans, just when we think we have hit the bottom, someone proves us wrong. Thanks serenity for the post

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

It may feel harder to find joy, but it's still out there.

Ode to Joy from a distance!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Rough day today learning my SIL will be treating COVID-19 patients, but thinking that given the circumstances, my family and I are pretty lucky. My husband can work remotely, my younger daughter can attend school remotely, and my older daughter got a job offer before the pandemic lockdown. She's supposed to graduate with her M.A. in June, but that will probably be delayed. She's submitted her thesis in early March, so there's nothing left for her to do. Today she was told her job may still start next week remotely. We're a family of introverts with unlimited bandwidth. We'll be fine.

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

Please thank your SIL on behalf of humanity. I am so thankful for all the medical people taking care of everyone.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited March 2020

The reason we are locked down is a horrible one, but I am honestly really enjoying working from home, being with my family every dayjust living a very simple life and spending hardly any money. Every cloud has a silver lining.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

santabarbarian - I sent her our thanks. She could have stayed home when her employer shut down. Instead she'll be in the thick of it. I hope she doesn't run out of PPE. She wouldn't be able to avoid getting infected. She's also worried about her friends in NYC where she used to work. It's terrifying.

ScotBird - I do love having everyone home. Our pup has many choices for cuddles. I don't mind sharing.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Heart

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

One of my close friends is an Intensive Care nurse at NYU. I love her so much; we've been friends since college.

She was in fashion design, doing well, when in the she volunteered to rock hospitalized babies in the crack epidemic-- the ones who needed so much soothing.

As she told me, "gradually I realized all week long I was looking forward to Wednesday night, and it was exactly the place i wanted to be..." so she decided to switch careers. In her 30s she left a good career, did all the science classes she hadn't done in art school, got into nursing school, and became an ICU nurse. (She still has art as a passionate hobby.)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

I hope she can stay well. They are the heroes.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

A thread I was on has been deleted. Not even hidden. Except here, I've decided to delete my posts related to coronavirus. It's better for me to not post about it at all.

Taking a break.

• scotbird
    edited March 2020

It’s a tricky subject. I am WFH and we are holding our team meetings via zoom. My boss was asking us today to encourage all of our teams to go into the office so that they can answer telephones and help customers. I answered that I was encouraging everyone in my team to stay at home and not go to the office. I requested that customer’s details and messages be sent by email so that my team can call them back and help them from a place of safety. Tense times! Stay safe. X

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited March 2020

This is becoming my favorite thread. Thanks for all the touching posts!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

ScotBird - Your team is lucky to have you looking out for them! Unfortunately there are too many examples of poor leadership right now. Well, one really giant one.

Yogatyme - Thank you. When the thread was deleted, I wondered what's the point of posting anymore? Was it deleted because of my posts? I briefly considered closing my account. Holding off because this thread helps me. Here I'll post what I want. If it gets deleted, then so be it.

I realize that I am able to weather the pandemic because of who I am, who I live with, and where I live. Others aren't so fortunate, but I still believe in the Stockdale Paradox. It's helped me heal my sciatica and live with my unclear cancer status. It can help people get through this pandemic. Don't be an optimistic. Don't get tied to a timeline.

• scotbird
    edited March 2020

I spent most of today tidying and cleaning in my house. I never normally do this (just not my priority) so there is plenty to do! It’s reallynice to be able to go to bed in a vaguely clean and tidy room for once. I might make a habit of this behaviour. X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Nice! We've had a lazy day. Brunch with mimosas. For no particular reason.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

I saw a video by a doctor saying that they are the last line of defense against the coronavirus and we are the front line. We stay home to ease their burden. Our part is easy.

• Yogatyme
    edited March 2020

Serenity, you gotta stay!! I love your posts and feel like you are a kindred spirit!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Are those Crocs?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Thanks, Yogatyme! We'll see how it goes. I may loosen my filter by accident. :)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

Had a little earthquake overnight. Didn't feel it. It's been raining all day. Here's the Picard version of Blue Skies.

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

My older son had been self isolated for 30 days (at a rural property he is co owner of) and he came for a 24 hour visit with me and his brother... with good sanitation etc for getting gas. It was so fun to see him!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020

That sounds wonderful, santabarbarian!

Playing for change - Higher Ground

• Yogatyme
    edited March 2020

Serenity, I love that site!! Such talent and remarkable productions!!