Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited April 2020

yes but that is GORGEOUS

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited April 2020

Thank you!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Safety Dance!

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited April 2020

Serenity, that bread is beautiful.....too pretty to eat!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

My family may pause to take a picture, take a breath, and then dive in. Loopy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

I stand with the health care workers.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

ThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUp

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited April 2020

My friend believes the cradle of civilisation is located in Dubrovnik. She’s a Croatianist.

I love that joke.

My brother is a retired surgeon. He is 65 and in OK health but not totally fine. Anyway he volunteered to come out of retirement to work in one of the Nightingale Hospitals we’ve been building in the UK. These are giant hospitals which are hastily being set up in exhibition centres all over the UK to deal with expected hospitalisation of COVID19 patients. He was expecting to start this week but just told me that they don’t need him to go in because the numbers of cases needing hospital care are coming right down now. Joyous!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Never heard that! I love it too!

Such great news for your brother and UK! Wish I could say the same for here, but we have outbreaks in our long-term care facilities. Healthcare workers are being redirected to those places. Hope they can slow the spread soon.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited April 2020

Wish we could also say the same here in KY. More testing is being done and our numbers are going up.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

I'm afraid our numbers will continue to go up in the next few weeks. I just read there are 4000 infected seniors in care facilities in the greater Montreal area. These facilities were not prepared (chronically understaffed, no PPE/training). The hospitals are ok in general. Now more resources are getting transferred to the facilities.

In QC they've tested about 175,000 (about 2%). There are 19,319 confirmed cases. We live in an area away from the outbreaks, so we stay home. My husband does the weekly shopping at a nearby store. Fortunately we have enough space for the 4 of us to be together all the time.

Stay safe.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Hmm.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Just what I needed.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Thirsty?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Even though she won't graduate in June due to the pandemic, my older daughter started her first professional job a couple of weeks ago. She can work remotely and is often in online meetings throughout the day. Last night she received an email from her boss to which she promptly replied. I was so happy when her boss replied back that my daughter didn't need to respond immediately when she emails after hours. I've had to push back at my boss who liked to call after dinner. Working from home doesn't mean you're always working at home. That’s the road to burnout.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Happy Earth Day!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Just got a call that my May appointment with my MO will be in person after a blood draw. Originally it was just going to be by phone.Hope this means the outbreak is getting under control.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited April 2020

Funny I got just the opposite call-- from in person to tele-med for 4/30

I just moved my Mom to my town yesterday. Moving is not too much joy, but being done is pretty joyful! Today the movers came. We still need to unpack but the furniture is placed. My youngest son (22 like your D I imagine) helped me move my Mom and then today made some delicious roasted veggies and brought them over for lunch. My Mom likes the house I found for her. :-) It's sad my Dad couldn't make it-- he was my good buddy. But I am so much more peaceful having my mom within 2 miles of my home.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Things can still change until my appointment, so I won't be surprised if it's changed again.

It must have been a great comfort to your dad that you will be so close to your mom. My extended family is spread out over 3 countries. It's been years since I've seen most of them. Think that's why I'm glad to have my adult kids here. Fortunately they're able to pursue their interests here.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Loopy

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    edited April 2020

lol, love it

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

PSA: Do not ingest disinfectant for any reason at all.

I do gargle with a very weak solution of hydrogen peroxide to prevent mouth sores, but no drinking or injecting it.

Stay safe!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

I made another boule today. Had some fresh with butter as a snack. For dinner my husband turned the rest into its higher form: garlic bread.

ThumbsUp

• scotbird
    edited April 2020

I’m definitely going to try to make your bread this week. I’ve been really enjoying my morning coffee recently. Because I am WFH I have much more time and enjoying coffee is a huge joy. A couple of years ago my MIL bought us a coffee machine for Christmas which grinds the beans and makes frothy milk and everything. I’m really looking forward to a coffee and fresh bread as a mid morning snack!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

ScotBird - Enjoy your coffee at home! Even when I went to the office, I would bring my own coffee. We have a burr grinder and French press. Have fun making bread. It is so easy.

Last night my older daughter had a video call with friends while she was making a coffee chocolate cake. At one point she went off screen to the oven. While gone her friends noticed the pup jump up and eat something off the counter. We don't know what it was. Cake was delicious. :)

• scotbird
    edited April 2020

Haha before we moved house a couple of years ago our neighbours had a balcony directly above our kitchen window where we had our dining table. We had a built in bench seat under the window andnext to the table. My next door neighbour used to tell us that he often used to see our dog climb onto the bench and onto the table when we were out. He said she would often just be standing on the table when he looked over. She NEVER climbed up there when we were home. Clever pups, they know when they can get away with things!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

They can be so sneaky! We had a dog that was able to eat a big chunk of birthday cake as it cooled. I had just enough to bake another one from scratch. One of the guests had multiple food allergies.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

Another isolation video! This is the Ukulele Orchestra.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

My SIL posted a picture of herself all decked out in PARP (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_air-purify...).

As an OR nurse, she gets extra protection to avoid covid-19 infection since she's at higher risk. Unfortunately, other HCW in the ICU and ED don't have the same protection. She wrote that they were afraid understandably. I feel less worried about her, but I hope a reliable treatment is found soon. She's there when patients speak to their loved ones before she intubates them. She said she's never had to intubate a patient through tears before. I worry for her and other HCW as they experience all this trauma and the resulting PTSD.

I just learned that a nephew who was in school is now an EMT. He is young and strong. Still remember when he was 2 and his diaper leaked all over my leg. Now he has a 2 yr old.

Montreal cases are not in control yet. My hospital's ED is running just over capacity. I think I'll postpone my kinesiology appointment next week. I'll wait to hear from my MO if my next appointment is still in person.

My husband brought out the patio furniture. Rain is in the forecast, but hopefully soon it will stay dry enough to sit with a blanket. My home bubble is very calm near a pandemic epicenter.

Stay safe!