Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited June 2020

I watched this while at the hospital waiting for my appointment. Better than refreshing my phone waiting for my lab results to come in.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited June 2020

You can raise yeasts, however!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

Yes! But I’ve had failures. This one is the Unnamed.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

One of my kids had a teacher who said the letter X was boring. I replied that it's the best because it marks the spot. I never before or since wondered about the excitability of a letter.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

Progress! My husband noticed the plants look better. They no longer look like they're dying.

Loopy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

Rash is improving. Fresh bread cooling on the counter.

• santabarbarian
    edited June 2020

Clear afternoon for pigging out

• santabarbarian
    edited June 2020

PS not dead = very good; we have learned this!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

They're not dead yet! Hopefully I won't kill them with kindness.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

A haunting song from the amazing Billie Holiday:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

Woohoo! Finally got an online order at IKEA. Pick up time Thursday late morning. Nice to be a night owl when their order counts reset at midnight.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited June 2020

What did you buy

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

New sheets for one girl, and bookshelves for the other.

But the main reason for the order was my insane determination to save some orchids by getting new pots. I'm committed or should be. ;)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

Got my stuff! There was a long line to get into the store for regular shopping, but hardly a line for picking up an order. It took about 20 minutes from parking to leaving. The $5 fee for pickup is totally worth it. Plus it prevents impulse buys.

I was not happy to see less than half the shoppers in line wearing masks. At my medical appointments almost everyone wears a mask.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

While my older daughter was walking the pup, a dog in a passing car stuck its head out of the window and barked at them. My dog got dogcalled?

• scotbird
    edited June 2020

We have been feeding the birds and now have a woodpecker and a baby Woodpecker regularly visiting the garden together, so cute! I also ordered new pots for orchids last week. It’s very important to look after your orchids but strange how we become unreasonably obsessed about “needing” things like new orchid pots in the midst of a pandemic. My pots arrived but there’s not a sign of the orchid bark yet. wearing of masks here in Scotland is variable too. fewer than half of the people out and about are wearing them. I have not been to IKEA for ages I love it and would really like to go but decided it’s not really necessary to go anywhere at the moment. I’m still happy in lockdown!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

It is strange to pick now to care about my zombie orchids. I think it somehow started with that tomato plant. I'm also waiting for an order for other garden stuff. I used up most of the potting soil for the tomatoes. There are other plants to repot, but I need more soil.

The IKEA trip is my first non-medical outing since lockdown. I was nervous, but the online order with in-person pick up was very quick. There's curbside parking. Only one person is allowed inside to get their package. The rest wait outside with 2m marked out. Once inside the salesperson (behind a barrier) checks your ID and then brings out your order on a cart. This may be the only way I'll shop at IKEA again. Away from the crowds and the maze of the store!

My foray into gardening and sourdough baking is a nice distraction from everything. Better than taking more Ativan.

• santabarbarian
    edited June 2020

Thin slice of joy: my Mom's dog is a barker due to dementia. My sister found a no-bark collar that sprays a puff of citronella when it detects a loud bark (no pain)-- OMG tried it tonight--- it works!!!!!! The neighbors will stop hating my Mom & her dog!!! And I will stop getting calls. Actually, make that a THICK slice!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

santabarbarian - It's so hard when our pups get old. Glad you found a solution for the barking. My pup doesn't like peppermint oil when I use it on myself. Not to stop my barking. Usually an itchy spot.

Happy Father's Day to Dads and other father figures. My kids have such a great father. I enjoy listening to their conversations. Don't even mind the dad jokes.

Plants are looking better. Husband said they no longer look like they're in the kill zone. Picked lots of basil for dinner tonight.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

I found a big bottle of hydrogen peroxide in a bathroom cabinet!

• santabarbarian
    edited June 2020

Whoooo! Good times!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

Like striking gold! :)

It was under my husband's sink behind the drain pipe. Couldn't find it until I stopped looking.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• scotbird
    edited June 2020

I decided to have a bath and then just sit on the sofa all evening while someone else makes dinner, clears up etc. Good decision

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

Great plan, ScotBird!

My husband has bought many orchids through the years knowing I would likely kill them. I have 3 orchids still alive. I'm not certain one will survive me, but the other two have new growth. Just noticed today that one is growing a new leaf. These orchids are resilient if they can survive my negligence.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Saw Hamilton tonight for the first time. I loved it! We watched it while historians tweeted Hamilton factoids.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Plants still improving except for one orchid. Added rosemary and some thyme plants to the party. Couldn't find tarragon.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited July 2020

Serenity - Presume it was the streaming version of Hamilton you saw? It is available here on Disney+, to which we do not have subscription. Might have to do a "trial" subscription.

Had hoped to see it "live" onstage, but since the streaming version is the original cast, expect it to be just as good, not to mention being safe.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Yes, we just started a trial subscription. The show was in Toronto in March. I was hoping it would come to Montreal at some point. I loved seeing it with the original cast. It's a view that we wouldn't get live. It would be great to see other shows like this.

It was a bonus to watch it while historians tweeted about it. I'll be watching again.

It's an absolutely gorgeous day today. We haven't had issues with fireworks that have occurred elsewhere. My daughter took the pup out before bed last night. She said a weed-infused old man passed on roller blades. Plague times Canadian style.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Can confirm pup sleeps with one ear open. I know she was asleep in the basement with the husband. As I was polishing off a chocolate mousse, she appeared at my side. Next time I'll go upstairs to see if her sleep-hearing works from 2 floors away. I'm going to need more chocolate mousse. It's for science.