Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited April 2020

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

I emailed my kinesiologist to cancel my appointment next week. Turns out she will be making calls to cancel all kinesiology appointments in May. Their office is in the Breast Clinic of my hospital. The clinic remains partially open. That's good. Cancer waits for no pandemic.

The outbreak in Montreal is still not under control, yet the Quebec Premier wants to reopen elementary schools in the province. I'm no expert, but this doesn't sound like a good idea. I didn't like this guy before, but initially I thought he was doing ok.

The landscapers have started working this week. Seemed almost normal to hear them. Noticed they didn't always keep 2 meters apart.

Stay safe!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020

It is a Mad World. His daughter is really good. ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Gorgeous day today!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

It's chilly, but I'm keeping my window open. Time to put on a slouchy hat and listen to some reggae.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

I like having my prescriptions delivered.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited May 2020

We have a big park near us where we go for a cycle ride every morning. We saw a lovely woodpecker today which just flew across the path in front of us to perch in a tree. We’ve bought new bird feeders and food and have lots of lovely birds regularly visiting the garden, including a lovely pair of goldfinches and a long tailed tit.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Nice! I'm afraid I don't know my birds. We have some in the front yard that wake up my kids very early.

Chilly and cloudy today. Just the weather my older daughter loves. She's a Romanticist.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited May 2020

Serenity you turned me into a bread baker! So easy, and so nice to have fresh bread!

I even dared innovate with one cup of teff flour in place of one of the cups of whole wheat. I had to put a bit more water in to get the same consistency so I did. Teff is an Ethiopian grain they use for that yummy spongey bread. It rose enormously! Will bake it today and let you know. <3

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

I've never heard of teff flour. Please let me know how it is!

I'm taking some time off gluten. I don't have celiac disease, but if I eat too much bread or pasta, I get a rash on my neck. I haven't figured out the amount I can have without effect, but clearly I've gone over. Too much pandemic pizza and pasta on top of homemade bread. If I stick to homemade, I don’t get the rash. Probably due to frequency.

Think I'll put together a sourdough starter again. I used to have one several years ago, but it became tedious to maintain. Sourdough is supposed to have less gluten.

I’m in my off week of Ibrance. I fasted for 36 hours. Was close to eating last night, but held off. Woke up this morning feeling pretty good other than the rash. Haven’t had joint pain for some time. That’s always a good feeling.

• santabarbarian
    edited May 2020

It came out great. If you've never eaten Ethiopian food, its INCREDIBLE and it is always served on a very thin sponge bread, with a uniquely good almost lemony flavor, made of Teff. Very tiny powdery flour. The loaf had slightly bigger air bubbles, and turned out softer and less dense. I like dense bread but my son likes lighter breads.

I used to get eczema from too much wheat, have also been carb heavy lately and no ill effects so far. But i am still intermittent fasting and mostly very healthy.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited May 2020

SantaB - We went to an Ethiopian restaurant in London years ago when we lived there. The food was great. There wasn’t any cutlery we just used the bread to pick the other food up. We also tried the Ethiopian wine - I couldn’t say I’d recommend that😬. Serenity I can’t get around to making any bread. I have the intention to do it every day but never get around to it. Maybe tomorrow! Planted some peas and repotted my home grown tomatoes today and have some lettuce seed ready to plant as well. Getting quite domesticated in lockdown. I feel like I could stay like this for longer. Working from home is comfortable and I love having the family together all the time. X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

santabarbarian - That sounds really good. Can you recommend a brand?

ScotBird - That bread recipe is so easy that sometimes I ask one of the kids to put the ingredients together. Once that's done, it takes less inertia for me to shape and bake. I’m hoping we can get some herbs and tomato plants soon, but I don’t think we’re done with frost risk yet. In some parts of Montreal, there were a few snowflakes! The lockdown isn’t hard for my family fortunately. I expect my older daughter will look tomove downtown to be closer to work and friends when the lockdown is lifted. I’m appreciating every day that we’re still all in one place.

Sourdough starter has been started. We’ll see if it works.

• santabarbarian
    edited May 2020

Bob's Red Mill is the kind of Teff I had on hand. I like to bake and try low carb versions of things.... like muffins, quiche crust, etc.... with substitutions to increase nutrient density.

Teff is very high protein, very nutritious and has that slightly tangy ferment-y flavor to it, that I really like. Instead of 3 C whole wheat, I did 1C Teff + 2 C whole wheat. I think it needed an extra ~1/3C of water, to still be a wet dough.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Cool. I'll have to try it. Thanks!

My sourdough starter is on day 3 and bubbling. I may be able to make bread with it this weekend.

Beautiful day today. Pup's nose was very wriggly sniffing all the smells.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

It's snowing!

But my CA 15-3 dropped significantly and my sourdough starter is bubbling.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2020

Friends in Buffalo, NY and near Poconos in PA are expecting snow over the weekend! Stay warm, Serenity & happy baking.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Snow was forecasted for the weekend, but it came today. It didn’t last long. Now the sun is out. Weird weather.

I’m looking forward to some bread including sourdough pancakes when the starter is ready.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2020

Serenity - My mouth is watering for fresh baked, still warm sourdough with butter! Could you share info on sourdough starter & your easy bread recipe? Probably on here somewhere, but not feeling like doing a search. Thanks in advance.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Here’s the easy bread info:

I've made this recipe twice after my husband mistakenly bought whole wheat flour. I'll probably make it again this week. It requires no kneading, and it yields 3 boules (baked as we need). The dough keeps in the fridge for over a week. The bread has a more sourdough taste the longer it's been fermented. It's tasty and simple.

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/refrigerator-stored-artisan-boule-with-whole-grains

Tips for dough:

1. Mix salt into flour before adding to yeast
    2. I use the inner pot from my broken slow cooker (yay, I found a way to reuse it!)
    3. For first bake, divide dough into equal portions using kitchen scale
    4. Prepare one portion to bake and the other portions go into separate bowls back into fridge
    5. Bake as needed

Enjoy!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

For the starter I mostly use this method:

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-sourdough-starter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-47337

Changes:

1. I stir a little dried fruit in the water on day 1 to loosen the yeast. It clouds up the water. Remove the dried fruit and add in flour.

2. I use a tall glass jar (about a litre) and place a rubber band around it to mark the top of flour mix. Place lid loosely.

3. The recipe doesn't discard any of the starter. I did beginning on day 3 to avoid overflow.

4. To discard I stir the starter to remove the air pockets and move the rubber band to mark half the height of the starter. Then take out the upper half. Or you could transfer starter to a new jar.

5. Last night I placed the jar in the fridge since I went to the hospital today and was afraid the starter would overflow. It was doubling every 12 hours so I needed to slow it down.

6. After it's ready for baking, I'll keep it in the fridge so I won't have to feed it so often. I will also use the discard in recipes. Pancakes, crepes, cookies,...

Now I'm hungry!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Happy Mother's Day to all caremongers!

• santabarbarian
    edited May 2020

Serenity

I just made the saved dough.... It smelled REALLY fermenty (the dough with the teff). Can it ferment too much in the fridge? I hope it just tastes more sour!

Happy Mothers Day to all!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

santabarbarian - Sorry for my delayed response. We've always baked all the dough within a week, but the recipe says it's good for 10 days. It does taste more sour-y. Hope your bread turned out well. I'm still avoiding wheat while I have a rash. It's improving but taking its sweet time.

I've been really tired during my off week. My RBC keeps dropping with Ibrance. My spring allergies have sprung. So I'm extending my off week. My MO said to extend an extra week if my ANC is below 0.9. It was 0.6. The specialty pharmacist gets my blood counts, and they said they checked with my MO. He told them I could start without an extra week off. ??? I decided to wait an extra 4 days. Gives my rash extra time to heal. The delay also works well with my next appointment.

My older daughter made chocolate mousse for Mother's day. It was so good and gluten free!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

During a pandemic is not the best time to learn the Grim Reaper has a bird to match. It is striking.

• santabarbarian
    edited May 2020

gorgeous bird!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

It is stunning, but if I came across that in the wild, I'd look at a map to be sure I'm not walking towards the Styx river!

Just watched Ready or Not. It was great! My older daughter saw it while on a flight. She immediately thought the whole family would enjoy it. She knows us well. We like dark comedies.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

I really enjoyed this performance last night.

• santabarbarian
    edited May 2020

Life is a Dark Comedy.

:-)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Yes, it is!

Started watching The Great. ThumbsUp