Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited May 2020

Letting the days go by

Same as it ever was 🎶

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited May 2020

Remain in Light = best Talking Heads

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2020

Prior to COVID, David Byrne's Broadway Show American Utopia was supposed to return in the fall. He & his cast did a spirited performance of Once in a Lifetime Once on the Feb 29th Saturday Night Live. Yep, same as it ever was.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Both of you have excellent taste! ThumbsUp

I loved that SNL episode with David Byrne hosted by John Mulaney. They will probably play it again this summer. Byrne even participated in a skit.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited May 2020

Ahh happy memories: David Byrne at Brixton Academy in South London (1997 I think it was). There was a power cut in the middle of his set. There was a long silence. My husband yelled “Hello David are you alright”. The lights came back on. That was a long time ago

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Great memory! My last indoor concert was in 1995 to see R.E.M. I remember because I was pregnant with my first child. They were also my first concert in 1986 before they got huge. The band actually hung out back with fans after the concert. My roommate was in a group with a long-haired Michael Stipe. I was in a group with Mike Mills and his grandparents. That was the same year I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers for $5. Good times!

My rash is finally gone! I've been making sourdough crackers with the discard. Got a fresh batch cooling now. They taste like herby cheez-its. Next up: sourdough focaccia with garlic flowers and Italian seasoning.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Success!

• scotbird
    edited May 2020

OMG it looks amazing. I really will get around to making sourdough one of these days...

• santabarbarian
    edited May 2020

Gorgeous bread!

Took a beautiful hike this morning with my dear friend (we go weekly, both masked and 10' or so apart.) She is an incredible friend-- also an exercise friend - we play tennis or hike when we meet up. All during my treatment she'd show up to hike... we'd go VERY slowly, with 1000 rest stops. And we'd hike.

That's a thin slice of joy when someone loves you enough to show up and take a dorky non-exercise ultra slow hike every week while you have chemo and recover from chemo. I had two friends who did this for me and I will never forget it.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

santabarbarian - Those are good friends!

Playing live now!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Yo Yo Ma played for 2.5 hours live on YT. Unfortunately, the video is now private.

Here's a beautiful quarantine cover by Norah Jones. From the background in the video, you wouldn't know she's a Grammy-winning artist. I love it!

• santabarbarian
    edited May 2020

Next I am trying a bread recipe my French friend Guy gave me. I had some of his bread and it is excellent. It's 3 c white flour, 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1/3 C water... mix and give an 18 hour first rise (at room temp out of sunlight, under saran wrap), then a brief flour dusting and fold, and another two hour rise folded in a floured cloth. Cook at 475 in hot cast iron Dutch oven-- bake w/ lid on 30 mins, lid off 15 more at till brown.

It was wonderfully chewy and sour so I am going to give it a go.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

I love simple recipes like that!

I'm trying to find the simplest sourdough recipes. Think I need to continue minimizing gluten. I no longer have a cast iron Dutch oven. We donated it years ago. Instead I use a pizza stone and a broiler pan with water for steam.

The focaccia recipe I used called for a 9 x 13 metal pan. I have a glass pan in that size, but I used a 12" square metal pan to avoid sticking. It worked.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited May 2020

Serenity, thanks for the Norah Jones!! Love her & Hank Williams, Sr!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Same here! Plus I love that song. Cowboy Junkies has a great version.

Today we had the hottest day ever in May. We had snow 3 weeks ago! Very glad to have central air.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

ThumbsUp

• scotbird
    edited May 2020

My tomato plants have their first flowers opentoday. I’m ridiculously excited.

• santabarbarian
    edited May 2020

so I made my friends bread -- baking now-- and it seems great but I think the recipe shorted the water. I added more than it said to as the dough did not look right. 300g water... he'd put 1/3 C but I think it's actually 1+ 1/3 C. Anyway now a great bread-smell is filling the house and taunting the neighbors....

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

ScotBird - It is exciting! My husband bought a tomato plant that already had a few flowers (short summer requires a head start). I was excited when I saw a cluster of 5 little tomatoes growing. I'm not a big gardener. Just have a tomato plant and a few herbs in containers.

santabarbarian - I love the smell of bread baking. Hope it turned out great! I prefer measuring by weight. I find it easier plus it keeps me from losing count.

It's raining gently. Love the sound. And it ends the heat wave.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

Guess the whale thought with few tourists around, now would be a perfect time to visit the Old Port. Hope he gets to open water soon. But thanks for coming!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020

South Pacific was one of the first musicals I saw on TV when young and learning to love them. This song resonated with me as I first noticed racism. Same as it ever was.

• santabarbarian
    edited June 2020

I was Bloody Mary in my High School Production!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

Nice! I did costumes and set design in high school. Worked on Alice in Wonderland and Up the Down Staircase.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

My older daughter officially graduated with her Master’s today. There’s a virtual ceremony next week, but she prefers to wait for an in-person ceremony with her friends. Not sure when that will happen.

• santabarbarian
    edited June 2020

Congratulations to your daughter!! Way to go!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

We are so proud of her! The bright spot of being locked down is that she's still at home. I already missed her because she spent a lot of time downtown. We hardly saw her. Then the lockdown came. Many of her friends suddenly moved out of Montreal to be with their parents. It helps that the 4 of us get along. Both my husband and I would never have stayed with our parents.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2020

Gorgeous day out. It was extremely windy yesterday. There were some power outages, but all we lost was a branch off the main stem of my sole tomato plant (indigo kumquat). I saved the almost-ripe cluster on it. While trying to stake the plant as it was being blown over, I decided that I could never be a farmer. My family would starve.

Still I'm determined to fight against my black thumb and rescue my neglected plants. I have killed hard-to-kill plants, so it's a big challenge. It's a nice distraction from everything.