Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited July 2020

The mayor of Montreal is making masks mandatory in indoor public places. This is reassuring since people are out more. The island has been the epicenter of the pandemic in Canada. Cases are down significantly, but the cases in younger people are increasing. My daughter has started going to the office downtown once a week. Her co-workers like being in the office, but she would prefer to work remotely. Some of them are new to tech.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

We can't get complacent, but this is good.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited July 2020

Turn upside down for USA :-(

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Unfortunately, USA is going the other way.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

It's my week off of Ibrance. I fasted just over 36 hours. The first spoonful of vanilla Greek yogurt was delectable.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Beautiful version.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Fresh chives on eggs. Yum.

• santabarbarian
    edited July 2020

YUM.

My french friend sent me home w half a loaf of his superb bread!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

I miss baguettes! One of my first jobs was at a store near a bakery. Before going home I would pick up 2 baguettes and eat one on the drive home. Miss the days when I could eat what I want without gaining weight. I was 17.

My husband couldn't find the Greek yogurt I like yesterday. Now I'm looking up how to make it myself. I already have an Instant Pot. This should be interesting.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited July 2020

My mother made scones today and we ate them with strawberries and clotted cream and a pot of tea in the garden. Some traditions are worth keeping.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Definitely a keeper!

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited July 2020

Scotbird - thanks for the wonderful memory! I went to nursing school in London what seems like a lifetime ago (well maybe because it was) and I can still fondly remember going out for Devon cream tea. Yum!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Hmm, I might have to add this treat to our home.

I've enjoyed using the plants in my little garden. I have basil and mint in my water. Last night I rubbed fresh aloe gel on my face. My skin feels so soft.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Earlier in my peripheral vision I noticed a shadow and then a thud on a window. When I went outside I saw a few birds chasing each other. Glad I didn't find an injured bird.

• scotbird
    edited July 2020

I finally have a date for hip replacement surgery - 26th September. I decided to try taking no pain meds at all this weekend as I worry that I’m getting dependent on Aleve and Naproxen and wanted to see how I felt without it. I have had hip pain since before cancer but have kept putting off doing anything about it - and now I am looking forward to fixing it at last

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Chronic pain is so hard. I hope the pain is manageable until your surgery. My relatives have been pleased with their hip replacements.

My sciatica is acting up. I don't think it likes gardening.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited July 2020

I've always wanted a personal chef. I've fantasized about this for years. If I ever won the lottery in a big way, I'd hire someone to cook for us. Now I'm adding a massage therapist to the imaginary staff. Also why not some cleaning staff and a gardener?

It's sunny. I have just minimal pain in my upper back atm. Hallmark Christmas in July is on. That almost makes up for me stumbling about the kitchen and making lame meals on my own

• scotbird
    edited July 2020

Haha Love it Moth - I always think of you as a hippie chick because of your name and picture. Now I have to reframe my assumptions as I picture you with all your “team” looking after you 😜.

• scotbird
    edited July 2020

Haha Love it Moth - I always think of you as a hippie chick because of your name and picture. Now I have to reframe my assumptions as I picture you with all your “team” looking after you 😜.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

I like your thinking on this, moth. I told my husband I would like a pool boy (we have no pool). This is after he said he'd like a hot maid after winning the lottery.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Cinnamon

• moth
    edited July 2020

can I reclaim my hippie dandelion crown by confiding I've been looking at recipes for fermenting a vegan chevre at home?

(Of course what I really want is to be able to just send the link to my chef and tell them to make it)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Yes! Let us know how you like it.

I've been reading about homemade yogurt. At first I planned to make Greek yogurt, but now I don't want to strain away the whey. I'll try regular yogurt first. I have homemade vanilla extract to add to it.

That's kinda hippie, right?

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited July 2020

moth & Serenity - I second your thoughts on "help" and would add: "on call" hair stylist, makeup artist, esthetician and mani/pedi services. (LOL!)

Serenity - My DD has always been into the boho/hippie lifestyle. She and her partner are also vegan and have made cheese from cashews, which they said was quite good.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

We're going to need a bigger jackpot! I'm adding a chauffeur.

When I was young my friends and I were called "granola heads". I wasn't vegetarian, but most of them were. I ate mostly vegetarian then, but I'm an omnivore. We lean towards minimally processed and locally made. Unexpected bonus is there's less garbage to throw out.

• scotbird
    edited July 2020

My daughter finished her undergraduate course in lockdown and took her final exams online. Results came through yesterday and she’s been awarded a first class degree. We are all thrilled, she worked so hard and really deserves this.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

Woohoo! Congrats your daughter 🎉

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2020

It is beautiful today. Snipped some herbs for lunch, tea, and water.

• santabarbarian
    edited July 2020

Great news scotbird!

Anyone else remember "The Moosewood Cookbook"?

• moth
    edited July 2020

I remember the moosewood! It was in our la leche league lending library