Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2020

Made yogurt yesterday. I like keeping it plain so it can be used in other dishes. I like it with just cinnamon.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

I made a coffee-yogurt-aloe-seaweed hair mask. My scalp feels great. My hair smells like coffee. Glad it doesn't smell like the other stuff.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Watched something recently that played Take Five. Can't remember what, but it's been too long since I've listened to it. Have the CD.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

This guy was brilliant and wise.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Picked some herbs. They smell so good.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

My husband bought this a month ago thinking I should have one in bloom since I decided to work on not killing my plants. :) This might be my personal best in having one in bloom. It even grew new buds in my care.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited August 2020

wow such a pretty orchid

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

They are pretty. In the morning I examine the blooms as I take my first sips of coffee.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Good news - no aliens came through.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited August 2020

if they were peaceful aliens, I'd welcome them. Maybe they have the cure

I got an orchid in the spring and it's done blooming. Dh overwatered it and it lost a bunch of leaves so now I've taken over its care and am trying to keep it alive. Shame they only bloom once a year but they are beautiful

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Yes, they are most welcome if they have the cure! Still waiting for the Star Trek cure given all the tech we have inspired by that universe.

I find caring for my orchids and other plants therapeutic. I'm thrilled when I see new leaves or roots on the orchids. I feel the same with bread baking and yogurt making. Sadly for my husband, it hasn't transferred to cooking. Smile

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

I cut aloe leaves into small, split pieces and froze them. It feels really nice to take a frozen piece and rub it on my face before bed. I'm running low, so I cut off a fresh leaf to replenish my supply. I ate a bit of the gel for the first time. Tastes like aloe. It's been an hour. So far no ill effects.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

I'm going to need a bigger mask.

• santabarbarian
    edited August 2020

I love that tweet - I have seen a couple of really funny product tweet threads

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

There are some clever ones.

Even I'm getting tired of the pandemic and frustrated that our cases have been trending up. Wear a mask!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

After raining all day yesterday we had a gorgeous day. Sunny with a cool breeze. It's August, right?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Any Professor Longhair fans? Great version of Tipitina.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Sparkling water with fresh mint

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

After my Xgeva shot, we went to a local shop that sells cool stuff. We got fudge, lemon drops, mango aioli, paprika, and a reusable baking mat (Silpat like).

Love their masked cow.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited August 2020

That shop sounds great Serenity.

Joy this morning - got up at 8 took the dog out, made coffee and came back to bed to read the news (online). The dog joined us in bed where she has snuggled under the cover and has her head on my silk pillow. She is very happy.

I once spoke to a dog psychiatrist - sh said you should never allow dogs on the bed because they become confused about their role in the house. But I can’t resist just once in a while. It’s perfect.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

ScotBird - I love that shop. It's around the corner from the ice cream shop we like. I'm glad we haven't spoken to a dog psychiatrist! Our pup always sleeps with us. Usually by our feet. She's turned into my support pup.

Got some dough rising and then prepared a bath. Now that includes a hair mask and face mask. I streamed Hamilton throughout.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Love this woman's voice! Titi Tsira

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Saw a squirrel climb up my tomato plant and break a branch. He seemed to enjoy nibbling on the ripe tomato he brought down. He looked ready to get another until the neighborhood one-eyed cat arrived.

• scotbird
    edited August 2020

I had an amazing day today. It was the best day I can remember for ages.

Two years ago my mum who is 91 said she wanted to move and live closer to me in case she could no longer manage on her own in the future. She was managing really well but just wanted to plan ahead.

We had just moved house and at the bottom of our garden there was a falling down building with a leaky roof that had been used as a garage and workshop but originally had been a stables and coach house from when people used to keep a pony and trap.

She decided that she would like to convert the old building into a house for herself and sorted out the architect, engineers, planners, builders etc etc.

It has taken ages, and there is still quite a lot to do but this week the painting inside was finished and the carpets were put down. Today we got all of her furniture and boxes out of the storage place where they have been for 18 months.

Tonight she is sleeping over there for the first time. We are all very happy. She has been staying in our house in my husband’s study Ssince she sold her placeso he is particularly happy that he will now have his room back. He has been working full time from our bedroom since March.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

ScotBird - That amazing feeling will last more than a day! It's really nice for everyone to have their own space especially now that we're together more.

Out of the blue, my older daughter decided she would make dinner this weekend. She put in her ingredient request last shopping day. Tonight she made calzones for the first time. They were delicious. She even made the dough from scratch with a little help from her younger sister. All prepped while I took a bath. I'm still full.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2020

ScotBird - How wonderful that things worked out for your Mum to be so close! I am in a Facebook group that are fans of the Starz program Outlander's leading man "Jamie", actor, Sam Heughan. There are many, many postings of the lovely Scottish Highlands by other members who live/or travel there. Every time I see a photo or story, I think of you.

Serenity - Lucky to have such a thoughtful daughter! Hope you enjoyed your bath and got an extra dose of serenity.

Greetings and good wishes to all from me, here in Northern Kentucky.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Celia - Hello! Always good to hear from you. :) I'm very lucky to have my family. I did enjoy my bath, but it takes longer now that I've added the hair and face masks. Afterwards I paused on the stairs to take in the smell of calzones in the oven and my husband and kids talking while they baked.

So I think I pissed off my squirrel. There were 3 partially-eaten tomatoes on the ground. One had just a set of bite marks. My first thought was how wasteful. Doesn't this squirrel know there are starving squirrels in Africa? Then I remembered. I sprayed the tomatoes yesterday with a soapy solution that I'd been using on the basil to keep insects and fungus at bay. Oh, well.

Making yogurt today.

• santabarbarian
    edited August 2020

Hahahaha- they probably thought they'd got a dud awful-taste tomato, so threw it down and tried another one.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

It's funny that it stopped at 3. Third time was not the charm. It looked so happy when I saw it eating one the other day. Then the cat foiled other attempts. Poor squirrel.

I'm trying something new today. I read that eating cloves can be beneficial. I don't want to make tea, but it's refreshing to just keep a whole clove under my tongue. Hoping it will help keep mouth sores away.

• scotbird
    edited August 2020

My plasterers get lots of work on the sets at Outlander, they always talk about it, but I must admit I’ve never watched it! I had a very long drive yesterday getting my middle daughter from the highlands where she had been doing some wild hiking with old friends, 4 boys and 4 girls, sounds like they had fun crossing rivers, climbing mountains then toasting marshmallow around a fire and making some lovely memories. My joy today was getting to the Diamond League in Duolingo (I’ve been learning Spanish on the app for nearly 2 years and do it every day)