Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2020

I've never watched Outlander either, but would love to visit Scotland someday. That hike sounds wonderful. Good job on learning Spanish!

On the tomato report, no sighting of squirrel. I did spot a chipmunk as it climbed the pot. It ran off when we made eye contact. Picked some mint leaves for my water.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Hmm, I think the critter is losing optimism. I found only one discarded tomato. See the little teeth marks?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

I have found gardening and bread baking to be therapeutic.

"We gain sustenance from nature's regeneration." - Sue Stuart-Smith

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/08/24/the-...

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited August 2020

My #1 rejuvenation is playing w little kids. It saved my life during chemo and I have 4 sets of friends' and neighbors' kids I really enjoy, 3 that I see a lot of. To me this is a win/ win/ win: meaningful and important to the children, giving them more of a 'tribe' and more supportive adult connections, and more stability, and also a huge help to the mom, and also a joy to me.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited August 2020

PS what I do with them since COVID is I take them swimming. It's outside and we stay distant and I lifeguard them and give them snacks.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

I do love the sound of kids laughing. During chemo we'd walk around to the children's section while between appointments.

My joy today is all the chocolates. I think my veins have had enough of getting stuck for the IV contrast for my CT scan. After several failed attempts they agreed to use my port. It was well worth waiting for the nurse. I plan on asking my MO to put port access in future scan orders.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2020

Image may contain: car and outdoor, text that says 'Guy Stealing The Moon(Awesome Photography)'

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

I love that, Celia!

Being very short, I would enjoy this.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

This morning I woke up to answer the phone ringing (yes, we still have a landline). I gave the phone to my husband so he could be screened for his blood donation appointment. After the call he told me the caller thought my voice is really nice. That's a first as he laughingly pointed out. It was my grumpy-you-woke-me voice. I should sleep more often. It is an improvement over callers asking to speak to my parents. ;)

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited August 2020

Cycled to the supermarket and back (10 miles altogether) before cooking and eating an amazing breakfast. It tasted really good

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited August 2020

I had leftover birthday (dh's) pizza for lunch outside on the large deck where dh recently made a fountain for me. So lovely .. and none of the neighbours were mowing or using power tools to disturb my peace 😄

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

I love breakfast foods!

It's gorgeous out today. It's already getting cooler. Winter is coming so I need to prepare to bring pots inside. I divided the thyme so I can bring a small pot indoors. My little aloe pup is now 10 pups, but they are too small to separate. This plant stuff is fascinating!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

moth - Glad you were able to enjoy your pizza to only the sound of your fountain.

My hands still smell of thyme.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 782
    edited August 2020

Last night, DH and I went for a walk on a beach path. It was so beautiful and warm. We had a young couple ahead of us, she was dressed in a red jumpsuit and he was in a formal suit, walking ahead of us holding hands. Then he stopped and bend on his knee and open a ring box for her. I couldn't hear the proposal and what she said but she was smiling. My husband and a few other strangers further away started to applause. It was amazing! I loved it!

• scotbird
    edited August 2020

Ahh Lilly that is lovely! More down to earth, my joys today were unblocking a sink and finding my mother's new cushion covers that she had mislaid.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Lilly - That's a great evening to witness an engagement while walking on the beach!

ScotBird - Getting rid of a clogged drain and finding something lost are both very good things.

My husband saw a chipmunk by the tomatoes. Its cheeks looked full. I've given up on harvesting tomatoes for us. The critters are getting tomatoes just as they ripen, and this variety doesn't ripen well off the vine. Winter is coming. They need to fatten up more than I do. ;)

• lillyishere
    edited August 2020

92F today. We went to the beach to meet my friends. It was a hot day but we arrived late and the rain started as soon as we arrived there. I couldn't swim in the ocean but I wet my legs and arms and face to get some minerals from the ocean. We stopped by the only seafood/fastfood place on the beach and even though the food was awful, it is the second time I'm eating out since Convid-19 lockdown.

Serenity, we have the same problem with chipmunks. They are so cute but eat all our tomatoes and strawberries we planted. I don't want to have a garden anymore. It was mostly a project for my kid.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Lilly - That's disappointing that the food wasn't good. We haven't eaten out since lockdown, but we didn't eat out very often in the before times. We do like supporting the local ice cream shop though! I don't have much of a garden. It's a tomato plant and a few herbs and that is about all I can manage.

Made sourdough crackers. House smells garlicky.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

• scotbird
    edited August 2020

Wow the crackers look delicious. I keep my tomato plants inside in the house. No chipmunks or squirrels Can get in here but the crop of tomatoes has been a bit disappointing I must admit. Joy today was having my house cleaned and also an “odd job man” came over and sorted out about 10 little things that needed fixing (Eg putting up shelves, fixing the broken back gate etc - neither me nor husband are at all handy at household tasks). It was a very good day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

My younger daughter said they taste like Cheez-Its grownup. That's high praise from her. If I spread it thin enough, they're like Sun Chips. They were great with havarti.

I don't think I can grow tomatoes indoors unless I get grow lights. I do love the taste of homegrown tomatoes, and the variety I have tastes very good. I may do it again. Or not.

It's nice to get those odd jobs done. Especially by someone else! I live in a townhouse. Everything outside is handled by the association. It's nice not to worry about mowing the lawn or shoveling snow.

• celiac
    edited August 2020

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

Purposely left this photo "big" for maximum enjoyment. A member of a Facebook group to which I belong posted this photo. It is from Edinburgh Live, with the caption "Wow: how incredible is this photo of today's Red Arrow flypast sent in by reader Chris Brand? "

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

Spectacular!

We had a power outage this morning. It only lasted an hour, but it did delay my coffee. It was delicious.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited August 2020

I got new shoes! A pair of vegan wooden clogs, handmade in Sweden. I was nostalgic for clogs because as a kid I got a new pair every summer and suddenly I wanted clogs again.

• lillyishere
    edited August 2020

I was so happy today when I went to the office and "stole" my work computer to use it at home for remote work. I had the OK to do so but I didn't follow all test, etc. to enter the building for convid-19. It was no one in the building and I had the mask on but I had the adrenaline rush like a thief :))

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

moth - I remember clogs!

Lilly - Stealth mode is always fun. My husband had to make an appointment to get things from his office. They disabled everyone's key code.

It's 15 C/59 F! I moved some pots to catch more sun.

• celiac
    edited August 2020

moth - I remember clogs, too. Had a really great pair of Frye ones. They never really wore out, but no idea what became of them or of my Frye cowboy boots when Urban Cowboy type fashions were in vogue.

Serenity - It is a humid 90F here today! 59F is more my speed.

Hope ScotBird is ok - heard of lots of rain across the pond.

• scotbird
    edited August 2020

Haha we are definitely used to rain in Glasgow! Weather has not been too bad here at all.

I had a great day today. I got my family to help me to move some beds around in the house which cleared up a lot of space. Now that my mum has finally moved out of our house and into her own place we have an extra room in the house. It needs decorating and I am planning a dramatic dark colour scheme. There is a really nice wooden floor which needs to be sanded and polished. For now I have put a dart board up on the wall and tonight we had a family darts tournament. It was super fun.

• lillyishere
    edited August 2020

Just came back from South Boston beach. I took my kids and went for long walks. The smell and the view were so close to perfect. I'm sharing couple pictures but I can't bring the smell of the ocean :)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2020

We have had some rain, but the weather is good here. Just enjoying it before winter where it gets really cold and there's a blanket of snow until April/May.

Still can't complain about our winter. It's nothing compared to California wildfires or hurricanes. All while the pandemic continues. The virus is at a simmer here, but little clusters do pop up. While waiting for my CT scan last week, I reminded a man to pull his mask up over his nose. I have no patience for people not wearing one or wearing it incorrectly. It isn't a hardship. It even protects the wearer by reducing severity of the disease if caught.

ScotBird - Darts is fun, but we would end up with numerous holes in the wall! Have fun decorating!

Lilly - Beautiful pictures! I love the ocean, sounds and smell.