Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited September 2020

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited September 2020

I adore Hopper!

• santabarbarian
    edited September 2020

thanks for posting it!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited September 2020

I adore Hopper too. There is a great exhibition with virtual tour at Foundation Beyeler the tour is great. Can’t seem to find a link but do search it

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

The trailer for the Wim Wenders film at the exhibition looks great too. Wish we could allmeet up in Basel and watch it together then go out for a great lunch in the Swiss sunshine! X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

Will look for that tour, and a meetup in Basel sounds so good right now!

There's a definite chill in the air. The orchid blooms have started to drop. This is the longest I've had an orchid in bloom. We'll see if I can manage to get them to bloom again. The aloes are doing well indoors.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

Beautiful! Would love to see in person.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

Worse than my pup!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

He's an Immortal!

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

Stayed up until 2.45am completing a work project. I wanted to get it done because after tomorrow I’m taking a few weeks off to recover from my hip replacement surgery, which I’m having done on Saturday morning. I’m really excited to be getting free of the pain that has been getting worse and worse for years. I’m really happy to have finished the work project too, I find it so satisfying and rewarding to complete a task!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

ScotBird - Good job completing that project! You can relax and recover from your surgery. Hope it goes smoothly and all your pain goes away.

Speaking of pain, my sciatica has been acting up. I'm trying to manage without meds but my MO did prescribe some to use as needed.

The weather has been beautiful here. Most of the plants are alive. I repurposed an empty ice cream tub as a pot for my aloe. Before the pandemic I would've driven to a store to buy another pot. At least I already have the pot to use when the aloe outgrows the tub.

Montreal seems to be in a second wave of the virus. I live away from the outbreak areas, but I don't want to venture out unless it's for my appointments.

Stay safe out there!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

ScotBird - Hope your surgery went well and you recover quickly.

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

Hi Serenity surgery went really well thank you, and I’m already going up and down stairs on my crutches. A very fat slice of joy! I hope my family have been watering the tomatoes while I’ve been in hospital. I’ll be home tomorrow lunchtime and looking forward to having a lovely rest and recovery for the next few week. X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

That's great news! Hope your tomatoes are ok. My tomato plant is done producing more fruit. The critters have left their bite marks on the remaining fruit. They better get the rest because I'm taking the plant and trellis down this week.

Glad you'll be out of the hospital soon. Home is the best place to heal.

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

Huge slice of joy today as I’ve just made the final repayment on my home loan mortgage. My oldest daughter graduated this summer as well and she is starting a job in January which will mean she is financially independent so I’m suddenly feeling a big sense of aburden being lifted away from me. Although, if experience is anything to go by I’ll soon be finding plently of other things to spend money on. I’m going to pick a new charity to support each month and also planning to upgrade my garden!

• santabarbarian
    edited October 2020

ScotBird that is JUST WONDERFUL! What a great accomplishment. Cheers!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

santabarbarian - How are things with you? I have a relative around LA who had smoky air for awhile.

ScotBird - Woohoo! Mortgage free! Congrats to your older daughter.

Have you looked up? The moon is so bright.

• santabarbarian
    edited October 2020

The moon is F-ing with my cats' circadian rhythms. One of them is a snuggle girl and often wakes me up at dawn to get petted and played with since I am an early riser it's fine. But she's been thinking "dawn" at 3 am the last few days. She is relentlessly friendly, full of purrs, taps my face lightly with a paw.... hard to be mad.

• santabarbarian
    edited October 2020

Smoke wise, we are ok.... I am by the coast and no fires too close to me, but there is some haze even here.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited October 2020

ScotBird - Glad your surgery went well. Paying off your mortgage is very liberating! Woohoo!!!

Have been reading posts, but not "writing" any. Still exercising a lot here and staying in, away from others except for grocery, Dr, Dentist, etc. Had a pedicure today and probably got the last "painted" toes of 2020 - a lovely bright blue!

Serenity - You have posted some great stuff, but then, you always do!

Santabarbarian - Hope your air quality continues to be OK.

Signing off. Everyone stay safe!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

santabarbarian - It's a good thing they're cute! It's a survival mechanism for babies, dogs, and cats.

Celia - I bought a nail polish kit for my kids. There's a combo that looks like robin's egg shells.

I had a bowl of Cheetos and ate them with chopsticks. Got the idea from my younger daughter. Brilliant!

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

Thanks all for the good wishes! Beautiful moon here too at the moment. Santabarbarian I love the way you describe your cat’s 3am pats she sounds so cute. Celia lovely to hear from you. You stay safe too.

My joy today is that I’ve started learning Arabic on my favourite app Duolingo. I’ve been using it daily for 2 years and can now understand Spanish. I really love learning new things, I find it so relaxing even though I’m pretty sure I’ll never have any use for conversational Spanish or Arabic.

I was listening to a radio show yesterday called Desert Island Disks. This week’s guest was Cat Stevens who was a successful singer/songwriter in the 60s/70s who decided to retire from music at the height of his success after his brother gave him a copy of the Quran as a gift. He was just blown away by the Quran and became a Muslim and changed his name to Yusuf Islam. It made me wonder whether I could learn Arabic. I would like to read the Quran one day (I’m pretty sure that if I ever do read it, it won’t be in Arabic). I have a very long reading list.

Serenity I would not have the patience to eat Cheetos with chopsticks but i sounds fun.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

ScotBird - I couldn't get the smallest bits with the chopsticks so had to use my fingers. My older daughter is using Duolingo to learn Latin. Good work on learning Spanish. Yusuf must be making the rounds. He was on the Late Show a week ago.

ThumbsUp

• celiac
    edited October 2020

Serenity - Thanks for that clip from The Late Show, which I enjoyed. Had a good laugh at your eating Cheetos with chopsticks - would definitely cut down on the consumption for me!

Awhile ago, I watched the CBS Sunday Morning did a feature on Yusuf Islam on Father's Day, built around his popular song "Father and Son" and they mentioned he was re-recording the album "Tea for the Tillerman", which was one of my all time favorites. He wrote some great songs, many of which still resonate today.

ScotBird - Good for you learning new languages. I have always enjoyed learning/experiencing other languages - may have to check out Duolingo. If I ever get around to making a trip to Quebec, it would be useful to brush up on my French. Believe Spanish could be a good one to know as well.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

Celia - His isolation version is amazing. Don't know where he is, but it's beautiful.

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

He lives in Dubai now I think. You are right he has been doing the rounds - must be amazing to come back after all that time away from music. I have been looking at some of his archive too. This one is my favourite:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiBstGF7ZzsAhWSQhUIHWH8DLYQwqsBMAd6BAgaEC8&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_x9UxdHNc10&usg=AOvVaw2RkBz2b3KfK2JdSAgqoT1V

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

I'm glad he's sharing his music again. I love the song you posted.

Came across this one where he performs with Chris Cornell.

• celiac
    edited October 2020

Serenity and ScotBird - Thanks so much for your song postings. I listened to them, both among my favorites and lingered around on YouTube for several others from his Majikat - Earth Tour 1976 (Peace Train, Hard Headed Woman) Such wonderful music!

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

Glad you enjoyed Celia! It’s nice to take a trip down memory lane once in a while. As I am off work recovering from surgery, I have enjoyed spending time this week reconnecting with old friends, including a couple of people that I have not spoken to for over a year. We are all so busy: working, dealing with family, illnesses, our houses etc. Friendship and connection are more important than the things I usually spend my time on