Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 782
    edited August 2020

Serenity, here is our saying about masks :)

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2020

Exactly! Just wear a mask. It's mandated in my province, but I wore it before. My family is fortunate to be able to stay home. We do it to minimize our risk and to reduce the risk for those who are unable to stay home.

Here is a chart of cases in Canada. It's getting better, but outbreaks are still occurring as more places open and people get complacent.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited September 2020

Wow Lilly I’ve always wanted to go to Boston and have it on my list of places I will visit after retirenent. I’m planning a whole New England tour through Vermont too. My husband went there once and he went on an amazing whale watching trip which I’ve always been jealous of. It looks absolutely beautiful. I have just agreed to increase my working days from 4 to 5 days per week. I have been mostly locked down at home and have not been able to go anywhere so might as well be working and getting paid! X

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 782
    edited September 2020

ScotBird, plan to come during Fall season when leaves change color. Autumn is a beautiful season. And yes, I have been to whale watching trip few times and we have been lucky to see some playful whales. xoxo

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

New England in the fall is beautiful! We were thinking of going whale watching this year, but can’t now with the pandemic.

So, a whole clove seems to work against a little mouth sore. Much more palatable than using a peroxide mouthwash.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

🎶

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

There's the cheeky thief!

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

That thief is so cute - they would be welcome to come and try some of my indoor tomatoes as long as they didn’t make too much of a mess.

One of my colleagues has resigned this week. They are really good at their job and hardworking but also not a great team player and no fun to work with. I’m glad they are leaving. Life is too short to deal with difficult people. Have a lovely weekend.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited September 2020

ScotBird: We have an abundance of chipmunks and one is quite fat from cleaning up the birdseed on the ground. When they have their cheek pouches full, they really are quite "cheeky" making their heads about 2 times normal size. The Bluejays are selective when at a feeder and discard what they do not eat, so the doves, squirrels and chipmunks clean up. We also have a 4 legged "bird" AKA a white tailed doe who snacks at the feeder.

So if I could, I would send you a pair of chipmunks, they are quite entertaining. Fortunately, I do not grow vegetables for them to snack on.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

ScotBird - Don't let the chipmunk in your greenhouse! It's broken several branches to get to the fruit. Cute but destructive.

Betrayal - I'll trade you your doe for the skunk that lives under our front stoop. ;)

I brought in the pot of aloe pups because they looked pale from all the rain. They've greened up nicely and another pup has popped up above the soil. Now there are 11 pups in that pot. I also have another pot for the aloe stem that has 6 newborn pups. The mother aloe is still outside. I think I've taken too many leaves, so I'm giving it well-earned neglect. I'm going to need more pots!

I have an Xgeva shot later. Afterwards we're going to the ice cream shop. They partnered with a coffee shop to offer a cold brew drink. Maybe it's a coffee shake? Mmmm.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

Cold brew float!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited September 2020

I have a ton of chipmunks too. I hung a bird cage (wire type) outside my window and put seeds and nuts inside it. The chipmunks will go in and out. Very entertaining to my cats!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

I've only seen one chipmunk at a time. There's probably more than one. We have cedars that look to be home for it and several birds (small and brown). They hide when cats walk through. The one-eyed cat likes to sit outside our sliding door to torment my pup. I'm afraid the cat would hurt her.

I've been baking and gardening. And watching videos on baking and gardening. Every so often I watch videos from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Here's one on bioluminescence:

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited September 2020

That is a very cool phenomenon!

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited September 2020

Although we live in a suburb, there are woods behind the houses across the street and we have some deep bushes in our back garden. We have deer, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and of course birds. We used to plant flowers in pots on our back patio, but they only proved to serve as a buffet for the creatures. They even ate those which are supposed to be creature resistant. DH has also come across a fox or two in his walks in the woods.

Love that bioluminescence, thanks for posting. Hope to experience in person one day.

Travel destinations, oh gosh, let me see. Would love to visit Scotland (especially the Highlands), Montreal, re-visit Boston & Cape Cod as well as explore other New England states, to name a few! COVID has put a serious damper on my post-retirement plans for sure.

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

Celia your place sounds lovely with all those creatures around. We went to Grand Cayman a few years back and went on a night kayak trip in a lagoon near Rum Point where there was lots of beautiful bioluminescence activated by movement. It was really cool.

My joy today was choosing fabric for new curtains. Now that my mother has moved into her own place after staying at ours for over a year, we can finally redecorate the room she was staying in. We are restricted in Glasgow and currently not allowed to visit each other’s houses, but we are allowed to go shopping (wearing a face mask). The schools, bars, restaurants and all businesses are all open. Cases have started to increase, mostly among young people. Older people are encouraged to stay home as much as possible. I have my hip replacement surgery booked for 26th September, and will self isolate from the rest of the family for 2 weeks before that. Is it bad of me to admit that I’m slightly looking forward to it? Love a bit of solitude!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

santabarbarian - That bioluminescence video is cool and soothing.

Celia - Have you tried growing herbs? I've had to spray my basil plants for insects, but otherwise no other creatures bother them. One year I grew parsley and found eggs from swallowtail butterflies. I brought the plant indoors so we could watch them turn into caterpillars and then butterflies. We had to buy more parsley since the caterpillars ate so much. Once they turned into butterflies we set them free. I love your travel list. Hope we can travel next year.

ScotBird - A night kayak sounds peaceful! Like you we are having more cases among the young as more places open. Fortunately the universities are online only. My older daughter goes to the office once a week. The rest of us are able to stay home. It isn't bad to enjoy solitude. Everyone in my family does. It makes staying home easier. Hope your surgery goes smoothly.

I pruned the rosemary plant. My hands still smell of rosemary. I brought the aloe plant indoors. The aloe pots are all in one place now. The rosemary can stay outside longer. I haven't had success growing rosemary indoors so I'll wait. Rosemary can handle a little cold.

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

I have been playing bridge with my mum online. It’s been really fun and totally sociable and distanced.

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

Had a nice day at work today - first time for a while. I got up early, went for a long ish ride on my bike then came home, ate some porridge and blow dried my hair and put on make up before getting started. I think that helped a lot I will try to do that more often. I usually get up late, tie my hair back and get straight to work on my computer. Need to do things properly, note to self

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

ScotBird - Working from home is a skill. Good work!

I wonder if the isolation is loosening my filters. I have reminded a man to pull up his mask. While waiting for my blood draw, a woman with a walker quietly asked people to make room in the hallway so she could pass. No one moved. Without thinking I got up and asked the people in the way to move. They moved. That's good, right?

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

I think that’s definitely good Serenity. I am lacking filters at the best of times and think I am possibly on Asperger spectrum - rarely feel inhibited by social norms or any peer pressure. I often embarrass my family with it. Back in early March I was at an event where a woman and her child were sitting in the row in front of us and the child was coughing and coughing. The woman kept giving him throat lozenges, then she started coughing herself. I politely said to them that they should Be staying home and not going out as per government advice back then. My husband and daughter who were with me were absolutely mortified.

Managed to do the bike, blow dry and make up routine again this morning. It definitely helps me to do better work!

• celiac
    edited September 2020

Good for you Serenity! I have reminded workers in stores to pull their mask over their nose. As soon as I walk away they probably pull it back down, but I will not pass by them until it is up. Badly behaved people (& children) in public places also receive reminders from me. Hopefully my silver hair will keep someone from any fisticuffs.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

ScotBird - I may be on the spectrum as well. ;) Good for you for reminding that woman she should've stayed home.

Celia - I'm with you except my hair is dark and I risk someone blaming me for the virus!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

My aloe puppies! There are 11 showing and one will pop out in a week. It's been a month and a half since I could see just one.

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

Beautiful plants Serenity. Growing things is such a joy. I had the nicest cup of coffee today. My husband is an excellent maker of coffee and I love it when he brings mea surprise coffee when I am working. We are both mostly working from home now, and we love it.

• celiac
    edited September 2020

Nice looking plant there, Serenity.

ScotBird - How sweet of your husband to brew you a nice coffee. My husband, being a Brit, only brews tea (with milk).

I am on my own insofar as coffee brewing. However, since I am now retired, one of my "thin slices of joy" is lacing my once a day coffee (which I drink very strong) with either Chambord or irish cream liqueur.

Guess those who are working from home could easily add a wee nip of spirits to their coffee and no one would be the wiser. Slainte!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

I've been surprised at how much I enjoy seeing plants grow. The aloe pups weren't looking well just 5 days ago due to all the rain we had. It didn't take long to green up.

On coffee I'm very lucky that my husband brings me a cup in the morning. I usually drink it black, but sometimes I'll add cream and sugar. Celia, like you my brother adds Bailey's to his. My alcohol treat lately is limoncello. Salute!

I'm waiting for my yogurt to finish its 8-hr incubation. I need to work on my timing.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

Yesterday a friend came over to give me two huge snake plants! We had a nice visit on my patio. Well, except for me getting stung by a bee on my hand (lymphedema side). I put some frozen aloe pieces on it. Then added an ice pack in the evening. My hand hurt last night, but I've had no swelling. Now it's just a little itchy. Whew!

• scotbird
    edited September 2020

That aloe is good! I enjoyed a lovely walk in the sunshine today. It feels cooler, but will be dry all week. So I will make a point of getting outdoors as much as possible as in a few weeks it will start to be cold.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited September 2020

We have the same weather. It is so nice.

The aloe is incredible. My hand is all better now. Everyone should have an aloe plant. I wish I had it during rads. I will need several pots since my older daughter also likes using it.