Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited October 2020

Celia - I love hearing old music again.

ScotBird - Glad your recovery is going well.

It was cloudy/rainy yesterday. Today it's cold and the sun is out. I drank my coffee while standing in the sunlight coming through the window.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

😂

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

❤️🎉🎶

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited October 2020

Love it Serenity. You have to feel sorry for the policemen who appear around 1 minute in. They look so nervous: who wants to be remembered as the policeman who told the Beatles they had to stop playing at their final live performance ever?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

I definitely wouldn't want to stop them!

I read that David Byrne's American Utopia will be televised in a week!

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited October 2020
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

Thanks, Kayak! That was great, and it led me to some other ones.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

That’s lovely John Lennon was an absolute genius, these performances are great Serenity. It makes me feel so sorry for the musicians and performers though. Social distancing has been a blow for performing artists. I was talking to some doctor friends last week and they are not very optimistic about a vaccine and quick “return to normality”. It looks as though we coul be living like this for a few years.

The weather here is glorious: bright cold sunshine and a beautiful blue sky. Just walking around my garden and looking at the flowers is heavenly.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited October 2020

Here's a slice of nature to make your day.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited October 2020

Here's the doe who comes daily for her snack.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

ScotBird - We're going through a second wave of the virus. My older daughter has a co-worker who caught the virus and gave it to his wife. He doesn't know how he caught it. He was very careful when going to bars. 🙄

Betrayal - Those are beautiful deer! Thanks for sharing.

We're having our Canadian Thanksgiving dinner tonight. Smells so good.

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

Betrayal I love your deer, they are so beautiful, gentle and shy. I’m very happy about my recovery from surgery. It’s been over 2 weeks now and I’m still quite tired but every day is a bit better than the one before. I went back to work yesterday (from my sofa) and felt OK.

Serenity, apart from physiotherapy, I have no plans to do anything involving mixing with other people. My 3 children are the major risk to me as I think they will all be exposed eventually. I now put a blanket over my head before hugging them, and keep my distance at other times

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

ScotBird - Glad your recovery is going well. Everyone here is able to work from home. My older daughter was going into the office once a week, but with the second wave she's staying home.

It's been raining all day. I came across this video. I love this song. I wish I could've been there. What a performance!

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited October 2020

Serenity - Thanks for posting the GooGoo Dolls! There are so many great ones out there on YouTube. Adding this to my bookmarked collection.

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

I got onto the static bike for 5 mins this morning. My new hip feels good and although it is still a bit stiff, it’s not painful at all. The surgery has worked! Now I just need to balance rest and recovery with gentle exercise for the next 3 weeks and I’ll be as good as new. I’m so happy about this.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited October 2020

That's great!

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

All my children are coming home today and we are going to celebrate my youngest’ s 15th birthday tomorrow. I am ridiculously excited about this. Since having cancer I attach magical importance to milestones like birthdays, that I never did before. They remind me that I feel incredibly lucky to still be alive. Each day is a gift

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

Celia - I hadn't seen that Iris performance before. It was so good!

ScotBird - You're doing so well after surgery! Hope you had a great birthday celebration.

santabarbarian - Glad to see you!

Tonight is David Byrne's American Utopia on HBO. I set the PVR to record. Enjoying the sunshine after some cloudy days.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

American Utopia was excellent!

Picard has good tips.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

🎶🎶🎶🤣🤣🤣 If only I could sing.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

MO visit and blood work today. TMs dropped and I get an extra week off of Ibrance. Xgeva schedule changed to every 8 weeks. Came home, ate the last slice of pumpkin pie, and took a nap.

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

Great news Serenity.

I went outside on my bicycle yesterday for the first time since my hip surgery nearly a month ago. Was great to feel the cold air. I cycled up the road to a beautiful park, along a tree lined path. The leaves are falling and it was beautiful. This morning I did the same again. Just a 10 minute ride, tomorrow I’m planning to go further

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

ScotBird - You're doing so well. Keep it up!

It was a gorgeous day today. Unseasonably warm. Freezing temps start this weekend.

Evening music started with Marvin Gaye. Covers don't do it justice.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited October 2020

Serenity happy to hear you are doing well!

• scotbird
    edited October 2020

https://youtu.be/ZNGU11lK_5E

Hope this YouTube link works. I love this poem by Derek Mahon. Just heard that he sadly died a few weeks ago. Everything is going to be alright.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited October 2020

Serenity & ScotBird - Glad to hear you are both doing well. Serenity & ScotBird - Thanks for the YouTube postings. Marvin Gaye was a man ahead of his time in the early 70s. Both his Mercy, Mercy Me and What's Going On (see below) seem to be as relevant today as in the early 70s. RIP, Marvin. I had heard of Derek Mahon's passing & his wonderful poem via another social network, as posted by the Irish actress, Caitriona Balfe. What a particularly poignant poem for our current times. RIP Derek Mahon.

santabarbarian - Wishing you well out there in CA.

Hope everyone is staying safe, as the COVID waves seem to be coming back.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

santabarbarian - Thanks! How are things your way?

ScotBird - Thanks for the link! I didn't know of him before. This line spoke to me: "I lie here in a riot of sunlight watching the day break and the clouds flying. " I did wake up like this today, though my thought was simply "Ooh, sunlight!"

Celia - Yes, Marvin Gaye's music is still relevant. This song by Sam Cooke from 1964 is still waiting for real change.

Cases are up here as well. Stay safe!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited October 2020

On a summer family trip, my older brother brought 2 tapes: Thriller and U2's War. I listened to U2 a lot!

"And it's true we are immune

When fact is fiction and TV reality"