Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited November 2020

Our blender started leaking before the 1-yr warranty ran out. A replacement blender will soon ship at no charge. Hope it was a rare defect.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited November 2020

Getting a new mattress delivered today. We inherited the bed, together with the mattress when we moved house 2 years ago and it was never particularly comfortable. I’m really looking forward to bedtime

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

Yay! You deserve a comfortable bed.

It's pretty cold. Pup curled up on my feet until she heard someone in the kitchen.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

The pup is accustomed to getting a treat after going outside. My husband took out the garbage. When he returned, she sat in front of the treat bag. He told her, "You get a treat when YOU go out, not when I go out." 🤣

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

Have to work on the sciatica again.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

👍

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

My older daughter registered as a stem cell donor. 🥰

• scotbird
    edited November 2020

It’s a lovely sunny day today. I have cleaned the kitchen. I am going to spend the rest of the day doing very little. My foot still hurts, but I think it is getting better. I’m excited about the vaccine. Hoping that this time next year things will be back to “normal”. My middle daughter has agreed to let me try to help her with her maths. I’m looking forward to Christmas

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

ScotBird - How about having a foot bath with Epsom salt and essential oils? The vaccine news is exciting. I have an appointment to get my flu shot on Thursday. I read that HCW who had their flu shots were less likely to get covid. Or maybe those who get flu shots are more likely to practice the recommended prevention protocol? Love that your daughter is allowing you to help. My older daughter asked me once. Unfortunately, I overdid it, because her teacher liked it so much, she had her show it to the class. Never again. I'm looking forward to making our Christmas season treats: lemon curd, marshmallows (made with orange zest and dipped in dark chocolate), and cinnamon rolls (with orange zest in filling and glaze).

Plant news: rosemary topiary attempt is hanging in there, orchids are OK, hard-to-kill plants are happy, and aloes are growing surprisingly well. I thought I'd have to wait until spring to divide the aloes expecting them to go dormant. I'm gonna need more pots! Don't tell the orchids, but I love the aloes more.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

I made the mistake of listening to this without a glass of wine. Still good.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

Baked bread. House smells yummy.

• scotbird
    edited November 2020

Plumbers are coming tomorrow to connect up my 2 new radiators so the house will be toasty and warm through the winter. I’m unreasonably excited.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

Not unreasonable! Our previous home was old and had a clunky, inefficient heating system. Our current home is newer and well insulated. The difference is immense. There is not enough fur for me to fathom how people survived here before central heating and Gore-Tex.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

Winter is here. My younger daughter made the first hot chocolate of the season. I should make marshmallows soon.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

Since we can't travel there, drone footage works very well.

Stay safe!

• scotbird
    edited November 2020

My mother had emergency surgery this week on her hip which she had dislocated. It went really well, she is still in hospital but coming home at the weekend. She is 91 and I’m proud of her. She has amazing energy and drive (far more than me and I’m only 54!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited November 2020

HAPPY THANKSGIVING xoxo

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

ScotBird - Glad your mom is recovering well! It's great that she has you so close to help her heal.

santabarbarian - Have a great Thanksgiving!

Just came back from getting my flu shot. My husband had chocolate waiting for me when I finished. 🥰

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

I mentioned to my older daughter that out of 19 aloe vera pups I have 10 left. She called me "Cruella d'aloe". 😱

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited November 2020

Hah! Fun to have a witty daughter!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

It is! Both kids are witty. They get it from their dad. I have weak genes.

• scotbird
    edited November 2020

Serenity, did you actually kill the other 9 or what happened to them? My mother in law is a keen (and excellent) gardener. She always worries about killing plants that are not needed, and can hardly bear to do it.

An old orchid has suddenly burst into flower. I hadn’t even noticed it was in bloom. I just love it when they do that, feels like a lovely giftimage

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

Beautiful orchid! I have yet to get an orchid to rebloom. They usually die from my inadequate care. ☹️ But I have 3 still alive. There's hope.

Not killing the pups, I'm harvesting! My main aloe vera plant was leggy and growing sideways. Last summer I learned about beheading the plant. I kept 2 leaves with the original root and twisted off the top part of the aloe. The top part grew roots within a few weeks, and the bottom part sprouted 12 pups around the stem with 2 leaves. After harvesting those 2 leaves, I cut the stem leaving the 12 pups still attached to the root. The stem itself produced 7 pups after repotting.

At first I was hesitant to thin out the pups, but I don't want more than 5 mature aloe vera plants. Also, the remaining pups will grow better when not so crowded. I started using the pups as fertilizer, but now I'm consuming the gel on fast days. Not enough calories to break my fast and contains good nutrients. I may be enjoying this a little too much. 😁

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

Brilliant!

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November 2020

I saw an interesting post about face masks today on Facebook. It stated something like: If you cannot wear a piece of cloth on your face to protect others, please do not dare to talk to me about God.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

I know. Unless you're very young, there's no good reason to not wear a mask during this pandemic. HCWs wear them for hours at a time. Masks can reduce the severity of the disease for the wearer if infected.

Health care systems are struggling already. We don't want to make it worse. We mask. We got our flu shots. We stay home.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited November 2020

Isolated vocals show how great his voice was.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

I first saw Crowded House at an outdoor concert in the late 80s. This is a beautiful version.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

My aloe plants are upstairs under a grow light near where my husband works. I was telling him that the aloe arborescens can grow to be a hedge that's over 8 feet tall. It's been grown as a fence to contain animals and as a fire break to contain wildfires. He suggested we grow some in the kitchen for when I cook. 😒

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited December 2020

SerenitySTAT: I must admit I did laugh at what your husband said but if he was my husband and I had a moment, I would have a zinger to slap back at him. I do think this may be a way for you to hand cooking over to him, though. Since my husband is a lousy cook, we would just depend on take out from then on.

I do enjoy the music you post. Thanks for bringing back some memories.