Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited December 2020

It's Ok to laugh! He's funny! He's always been the cook. I have started 2 kitchen fires by accident. Whoops! Once he was away for 2 weeks. My younger daughter begged him to come home because I was making prison food. Since then when he's away, she makes dinner. 😎

I only like to bake, but more of that is done by the kids. I haven't figured out how to get them to feed me peeled grapes yet. 😁

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2020

SerenitySTAT,

I, too, enjoy the lovely music that you post. Keep posting it. It's a nice respite in my day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

Thanks, BevJen!

I love both versions.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

When I was a kid, I remember hearing Lena Horne singing Stormy Weather in the film.

But I always prefer Billie Holiday. I know Ella and Etta sang it, too.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited December 2020

Christmas is coming! I’m going to get out the decorations today.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

We did ours last weekend. I love looking at the ones the kids made when they were little. Time for mulled cider soon.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

Two weeks ago I took 2 cuttings from the aloe arborescens. One has grown a root, and there are 2 new side shoots starting. This thing grows fast.

I have this CD.

• scotbird
    edited December 2020

Serenity I love Stormy Weather but haven’t seen the movie. Back in the late eighties we used to be members of Ronnie Scott’s jazz club in London and I first heard it there, sung by Madeline Bell I think it was. I loved the song so much that I bought the sheet music and learned it on the piano. I agree, Billie’s version is definitely the best.

Those aloes sound scary, like uncontrollable aliens!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

Hearing it live is always good! I wish I stuck with piano lessons when young.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I decided to learn about caring for my aloe vera plant. Depending on the source, there are over 250, 300, or 500 aloe species, and not unexpectedly, there's incorrect information on aloe vera itself. There's less information on aloe arborescens, though there's an old recipe that purportedly cures cancer. 😒 I believe that it contains more nutrients than aloe vera. In Japan, only aloe arborescens can be sold as a food where the outer leaf is edible. There are a few varieties of aloe arborescens, and one does look like an octopus. There are other tree aloes that look like they'd be seen in a Star Trek episode or a Dr. Seuss book. But don't worry. I'm Cruella d'aloe. 😎

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

Got into Harry Nilsson earlier.

This reminded me I miss limes (thanks to Ibrance).

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

I needed this after.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

Yesterday I pulled out another aloe pup. My older daughter just told me she overheard me say, "And then there were 9."

I don't even recall saying it, but I totally believe I did.

Or this

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited December 2020

hahaha POWER

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

santabarbarian - I promise not to abuse it. 😉

I remember being with a bunch of friends at someone's house. Suddenly strobe lights replaced the regular lights. Everyone stood up and started dancing when the music started. Talking Heads, of course.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

Billie is timeless.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited December 2020

Serenity - Great postings of Talking Heads & Billie. Her version of that song makes me teary eyed.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

Billie excels at that! Whenever I hear Slippery People, I see the moment I looked at the others while dancing.

I love great musicians covering great music. We have this CD. All great.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

"This song's our cry against man's inhumanity to man; and man's inhumanity to child." - Dolores O'Riordan

• scotbird
    edited December 2020

I love rearranging furniture and used to spend hours as a child moving my bedroom around into different arrangements. All week I’ve been moving bookshelves up and downstairs. Today I’m going to bring a filing cabinet down from my bedroom, where it has been for the last 2 years, to my study, where it should be. Who wants a filing cabinet in the bedroom? It takes me a long time to get around to it, but gives me immense happiness when it’s don. My husband thinks I am quite strange, he doesn’t seem to notice where things are at all!

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited December 2020

Here are two great guitar solos by two very talented men and some great singing as well. Love how much Dhani Harris looks like his Father.

Edited for spelling

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020
    ScotBird - My husband doesn't notice things like that either. 🙈

Betrayal - I love those performances. It is weird his son looks like his clone.

I'm not a sports fan, but Prince's halftime performance in the pouring rain in heels(!) is incredible.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited December 2020

Here you go SerenityStat. I think this is what you wanted to post.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

Oops! There's a link to view the video in YT. It's for the show itself. The video you posted is about the show with highlights. I love when Prince was told about the rain, he asked if they could make it rain harder. 😎

More Joni Mitchell

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

Very cold out, but very sunny. Broke my fast with Sunday coffee. 😁

• scotbird
    edited December 2020

Serenity how did you do Sunday coffee on a Tuesday? I have been trying to lose my surplus lockdown weight by intermittent fasting (very successful so far) and am absolutely starving now. Feeling virtuous though.... Breakfast is probably my favourite meal of the day. I love it all and now that I am eating it onlyon alternate days I look forward to it so much! Tomorrow I am going to make blueberry muffins.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

I drink coffee black, but on Sundays I add cream and sugar as a treat. When I started my 36-hr fasts twice a week, I've thrown in my Sunday coffee here and there. Once a week is not always enough. 😁

I love breakfast foods! Blueberry muffins are always yummy. We just finished a loaf of pumpkin bread. Now on to homemade chocolate pudding by younger daughter.

This is part of the reason I need to fast. I have lost the weight from all the Halloween candy throughout October. Fasting days make it easier to eat less of the sugary foods. Sometimes they're gone by the time the fast is over.

I don't know exactly how long it's been, but I haven't needed any pain meds for weeks. I haven't had the sudden or lingering sciatic pain. Not sure how that happened. 🎉

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

My younger daughter came out of her room, went straight to the kitchen, and started making baklava. She said she's never had it, but I told her she had. We took them to Greek festivals when they were younger. No way we would've missed having baklava. Teaching my kids to bake when young has been one of the best things I've ever done. 👍

• scotbird
    edited December 2020

I love Baclava - warm with vanilla ice cream and an espresso, preferably whilst sitting next to the sea in the sunshine. We went to Rhodes and Crete on holidays a few years ago. When I close my eyes to meditate I sometimes take myself back there. Paradise.

Serenity the news about the sciatica is fantastic. I have also been pain free for a few weeks now. It feels amazing after all the years of my horrible arthritic hip. It’s fantastic to feel well isn’t it?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

ScotBird - I've never been to Rhodes/Crete. When I need a calming memory I think of being on a sailboat around the Bahamas. I was on one for 6 weeks. I loved to fall asleep listening to the waves that gently rocked the boat.

This picture is from that trip (20-yr-old me on the left). We're sitting in water. I don't display the picture of me washing my hair using dish detergent in a canvas bucket of salt water. That was fun! I miss all that hair though.

It's an amazing feeling when a long-endured pain goes away! I hardly notice when I get a new one. I've mentally ranked my different pains. Anything related to nerves ranks high.

I had my Sunday coffee with baklava. Winning combo!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited December 2020

I know it's not Christmas music, but it's Santana.