Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited January 2021
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

I've done the accidental corpse pose several times: From walking, ungracefully slip and land perfectly flat on your back. Injury is less likely if you let go of remaining upright. Catch your breath and struggle to stand on the icy sidewalk.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited January 2021

As your south-of-Sutton neighbor, I LOVE this! Thank you for making my day!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

YeslamaDragon - I'm so glad! Sometimes when there's been no response I wonder if what I post is only entertaining to me. πŸ‘

I can relate to the elephant. 🎢

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Dogs! ❀️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Time for Yo-Yo Ma.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited January 2021

SerenitySTAT,

I LOVE Yo-Yo Ma. His beautiful cello music is truly inspiring. Thanks for posting.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited January 2021

Serenity your posts are always entertaining to me, I’ve been super busy and am trying to move forward from cancer and not come to these boards every day - when I do, I always come to your thread first and catch up and I always smile. Your thin slices of joy have literally changed my life and made it happier. Thank you, thank you thank you. And a very happy new year and lots of love and light to everyone reading this.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

BevJen - He soothes my soul! Here's another:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

ScotBird - Wow! I hadn't thought I'd make an impact on someone else. That's more than I expected when I started this thread. I was in so much pain and so tired of everything. I'm so glad we're both in a happier place.

We're both 5 years from initial diagnosis. I understand you wanting to move on from cancer. Please do! I'll be here for a while longer. I really appreciate what you wrote. Thank you. ❀️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

I enjoyed the latest season of Star Trek Discovery. Can't wait to see more. The finale closed with this quote:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2021

Serenity - I am also not popping into the topic every day, but sincerely enjoy all of your posts. In re: Star Trek quote - well, you have indeed communicated with me on a personal level! Your many posts always lift me up and the musical posts are so wonderful. They always remind of forgotten musical pieces I love, & such a wonderful variety.

ScotBird - Wishing you strong, healing thoughts as you move on.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Celia - Thank you so much! I've been listening to more music lately, so I pick a few to post. I do like a variety of music that I've forgotten many. It's fun to watch a movie that plays music I listened to when younger.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2021

Serenity - Rolling Stones are in my top 5 favorite bands of all time! I majored in Accounting in college and we had a tradition of gathering after our last finals and playing "Sympathy for the Devil" as we celebrated. A group of friends from college days still gather for one of the concerts every time the Stones tours. I listen to different things daily on YouTube. Some recent favorites: "Stand by Me", "Teach Your Children", "Long May You Run", the long version of "Hotel California", "Losing My Religion". Too many classical music faves to mention, but the Adagio for Strings (love YoYoMa's version you included here) definitely rises to the top.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Celia - Playing for Change covered a couple of those songs. R.E.M. is 1st on my list of bands. They were my first concert when Michael Stipe had hair. πŸ‘

Musicals were an early love. My older daughter listens to even more than me. 😁 I love how Hamilton celebrates A Chorus Line.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited January 2021

I agree w scotbird!!

<3

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Thanks, santabarbarian! I'm not crying. It's the smoke!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Hey, I can't get kicked out of my own thread!

I declare this thread is not by invitation only.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited January 2021

Oh goodness Serenity. Didn't realize that you had your own post. I'm writing here, but still listening to the piano with the elephant. Is there really a pianist in the bush with an elephant? Now I'll have to go back & listen to YoYoMa and the Rolling Stones.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Welcome, Minus! Yes, there's a man who brings out his upright piano and plays for the animals. Very cool, but does he know about electric keyboards? πŸ˜‹

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

So glad NOT to be invited - snark, snark. LOVE the Platters. OMG - what old great memories. HS dances with the mirror ball in the ceiling of the gym & crepe paper streamers. OK guys, I'm older so don't laugh too hard. LOVE musicals. Sang in many back in the day. Know many by heart.

No way can I go back & catch up, but I will definitely add this to my favorites.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Don't laugh at me! I cannot sing, but I will if no one is around. With the lockdown, I'm never alone. πŸ˜–

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

This one has no vocals, so no chance of singing. It is difficult to keep still.

Green Onions

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Probably posted this before, but no one's stopping me. Carole King reacting to Aretha performance:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

This woman has an amazing voice.

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

Oh Serenity - I should have known to get a kleenex before I played Aretha. Thank you, Thank you. Such an amazing woman. That has to be my good night song for the day.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Minus - It was powerful!

Today I broke my fast with scrambled eggs and fresh chives. I triple checked that I turned the gas off. A few days ago I made eggs, and fortunately, my older daughter came down for her lunch and noticed the gas was still on. Whoops! 😧 Now I would worry that it might mean progression or some other medical issue, but this isn't the first time. About 10 years ago I did the same thing, but I was home alone. It ran for hours. Good thing I used a cast iron pan. There was no damage, and the house was comfortably warm.

It's a wonder I haven't done more damage. I've started 2 small fires and overcooked numerous dishes. I love that our oven has a timer that automatically turns the heat off. It's truly a lifesaver and mealsaver. πŸ‘

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Me: Aubrey Plaza's Twitter handle is "evilhag". 😎

My husband: "She took yours!"

πŸ˜’

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

The overhead garage lights have been out for a few weeks. The garage door opener and extra fridge haven't had problems. Tried resetting the breaker with no effect. It's mostly my husband who's affected once a week when he goes out. Tonight we came back from my Xgeva shot. I noticed a light switch near the garage door. "What does that do?", I wondered.

It's another switch for the overhead garage lights. 😁

There were gas people here a few weeks ago, but it didn't click that that's when the lights stopped working. πŸ˜’

I just saved a few hundred dollars for an electrician. πŸ‘