Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited January 2021

Loved it!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited January 2021

BevJen - 🎉

Hope the sun is shining where you are as it is here. 🌞

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited January 2021

The sun is shining everywhere in the US today... even if the skies are cloudy.

Loved West Side Story. But so glad to hear all the variety.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited January 2021

Here's my thin slice: I got a vaccination appointment for my 86 yr old Mom on Friday!

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

WooHoo. I'm assuming you're in SoCal so that's a major coup. I'm scheduled for 1/29.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Great news on getting vaccination appointments! In my area they're still working on seniors in LTC or residences and some HCWs. They've been the ones who have suffered most. We can wait. Staying home or wearing a mask is not hard for us.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

We wanted to go whale watching before the pandemic hit. Maybe later this year?

• BevJen
    edited January 2021

SerenitySTAT,

Didn't know if you knew how on top of things you were on this thread, with the music you shared -- last evening in the US, there was a two hour celebration of President Biden's inauguration. One of the featured songs (sung by Demi Lovato) was "Lovely Day." Still love the Bill Withers version, but she did a good job. Great song.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

BevJen - It's as if they picked songs off my playlist! 🤪

They played many songs I love.

Here they did a mashup of Seasons of Love and Let the Sunshine In. ❤️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

I love this Andra Day song that played yesterday. The original video was one of the first songs I posted on this thread.

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

I decided on paying attention to your tag line, I should renew my acquaintance with Hesse. The only book on my shelves is Demian, so I started with WIKI to refresh my acquaintence.

In 1914 he wrote: That love is greater than hate, understanding greater than ire, peace nobler than war

In 1917: Hesse wrote to Rolland, "The attempt...to apply love to matters political has failed."[36]

Interesting thoughts based on the inauguration yesterday. And prevailing attitudes in the US - and maybe the world.

• BevJen
    edited January 2021

SerenitySTAT,

Great stuff from the inauguration. Very uplifting, as usual. Keep it up! Love to hear this stuff.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Minus - I read many of Hesse's books when young. One of my brothers "borrowed" some of my books for his classes and never returned them. 😒 I would like to read his essays (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/739964.My_Belief) that is the source of the quote in my signature. Any writer who was banned by Nazis would be good reading right now. 👍

BevJen - They picked good ones! I'll post more, but some of them I posted fairly recently. Still think k.d. lang is my favorite version of Hallelujah.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

I love John Legend, but I prefer Nina Simone's version of Feeling Good.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Still art. 👍

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

I don't think you can beat Nina Simone. I have several of her albums (yup - vinyl) but also CDs. Going to pull out my recording of Dianne Schuur & BB King. I recently treated myself to another copy of the Jackson Browne CD I'm Alive since mine walked away like your Hesse books.

Interesting I tried to organize my book shelves 5 or 8 years ago. I found the Hesse book surrounded by books from my past: Camus' The Stranger and The Plague, Anne Frank, A Separate Peace, Cry the Beloved Country, Wright's Native Son, several Hardy books, The Bridge over the River Kwai, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Jungle. Must be a message to go back in time and do some re-reading. Sorry, I know this isn't the book thread, but....books bring me joy, along with music.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

No apologies please! Anything that brings a bit of joy, a smile, or even a smirk works here.

Been playing music while watering all the plants and working on some sourdough. Nobody asked me to turn down the music. 👍 Dancing is better when the music is loud! 🎶🎶🎶

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Kitchen smelling bready!

Did Bernie cross the border? We're gonna need a taller snow wall!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

After 24 hours we have sourdough focaccia rounds cooling. Instead of a single rectangular pan, I use 2 cake pans. My husband will use both rounds to make big sandwiches for dinner.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Sunlight streaming in while I finish my Sunday coffee. 🌞

George sings George better than Bon Jovi.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited January 2021

The sun & coffee made me think of "Chelsea Morning"

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Having a rough day. This helped.

• BevJen
    edited January 2021

SerenitySTAT,

A little melancholy, but beautiful. Thanks for posting. And hope your day gets better.

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited January 2021

My friend BlackBird has come for a morning dip in the raised bowl outside my window.

Sometimes if I'm lucky, there will be an impromptu concert after the cleaning ritual.

Clean feathers and chirping!

🤗💗

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

BevJen - Thank you. Today was much better. 👍

Astrid - That sounds wonderful. Too cold here for birdbaths. 🥶

Any Phantom of the Opera fans?

• minustwo
    edited January 2021

Oh Serenity.... Yes and thank yoiu. A sad ending to an obnoxious day, but lovely at the same time.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2021

Serenity - Yes, a fan of Phantom. Many good songs. Thanks for the reminder!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Not Broadway unless they've created a musical based on their music. Depeche Mode was trending today. They usually appear when I listen to the "Adult Alternative" stations. (I cried a little when I first saw that category 😓)

• SerenitySTAT
    edited January 2021

Always the Right Time for this:

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited February 2021

Here ya go gals. Enjoy!!