Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2021

Astrid - Thanks for posting the video! I love pandas. ❤️

I've seen some of these here and there. Nice compilation of the puns. 👍

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited February 2021

Cute Serenity!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Minus - 😁

This song is still true.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited February 2021

My sister passes this sign everyday on her way to work.

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited February 2021

thanks for the puns.

I laughed. Now my jaw aches.

Was worth it though.

I don't know y. (Tee Hee)Smile

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

YeslamaDragon - That often I might start screaming at the sign!

Astrid - Laughing so hard it hurts makes other pains disappear momentarily. 👍

Blood already drawn, I'm waiting to meet my MO. The seat I like opened up. It's closest to the exterior doors. I'm wearing 2 masks (cloth and surgical). The cloth mask has a refreshing scent of sweet oranges. Last night I washed it with the essential oil.

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Ah - waking up to the Temptations. One of my favorite records in my collection (and I do mean vinyl). It's almost worn out.

"Temptations Live! is the first live album to be released ...The album was recorded on October 3, 1966 ... ...performing...such hits as "My Girl", "My Baby", "Get Ready", "Ain't Too Proud to Beg", "Don't Look Back", and the group's then-current single, "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep"."

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2021

Gotta love Motown!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Scotland - I love that! I didn't know it was a thing when I first saw this video.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Andra Day playing Billie Holiday in an upcoming movie is brilliant casting.

This is Andra Day singing All of Me as Billie. It's perfect.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited February 2021

Scotbird: Did I hear correctly in that the Scottish police are the next challenged group to dance to Jerusalema? If you see this, can you please post it? Loved this and shared it with my daughter. I now want to go back to Ireland to see the St. Brendan the Navigator statue in Tralee when we can travel again. Love your neck of the woods as well.

• yesiamadragon
    yesiamadragon Member Posts: 343
    edited February 2021

Serenity and Scot: I had never heard of this until I saw this video of the kids. DO we know what country that was? I have to say, the kids certainly out-danced the adults in Switzerland and Ireland (though I love the bit of step dance thrown in by the Gardai). It also looks like great exercise! I think I need to learn the dance!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Here's an article about it:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/sep/24/jerusalema-dance-craze-brings-hope-from-africa-to-the-world-amid-covid

Jerusalema: dance craze brings hope from Africa to the world amid Covid

South African music track and dance steps created in Angola have caught the imagination of politicians, priests and millions more

Dancing to Jerusalema in JohannesburgGlobal development is supported byBill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Thu 24 Sep 2020 09.20 BST

Last modified on Tue 22 Dec 2020 15.29 GMT

A song from South Africa that has gone around the world and been endorsed by presidents and priests has become the sound of the pandemic for millions across southern Africa.

Last week the Jerusalema dance challenge was endorsed by President Cyril Ramaphosa ahead of the country's plan to open up to tourism on 1 October.

The simple dance routine to the 2019 hit Jerusalema by Master KG and Nomcebo Zikode has provided an uplifting soundtrack for difficult times and has now been streamed more than 60m times on Spotify.

The upbeat song is a lamentation for God to take the singer to the heavenly city. The track topped the South African charts in December but in February, as lockdowns began to seem like a possibility, it was a group of friends in Angola who shot a video dancing to the song that sparked the global trend.

In the video, over lunch, a group of young men holding plates of food start to demonstrate the dance routine to their female counterparts who then join in. It was followed by another video from Portugal, setting the tone for how international the #JerusalemaDanceChallenge would prove to be.

"It is a dance that was done by people from Angola, then Portugal followed and it just went viral from that point," Master KG said in an interview with South African newspaper Sowetan.

Nomcebo Zikode, left, and Master KG.Nomcebo Zikode, left, and Master KG. Photograph: Courtesy Master KG

Clips of dancers across the globe now include nuns, construction workers, police officers, waiters and fuel attendants.

Emotional videos of healthcare workers in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Italy, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the US, Australia and Puerto Rico have become an uplifting source of hope for patients fighting Covid-19, as some countries experience a second wave.

South African police officers have joined in while army personnel in Ghana also strutted their stuff in their camouflage.

Choreographers around the world have posted tutorials online while celebrities such as footballer Cristiano Ronaldo and singer Janet Jackson have posted shout outs to the song, which has already garnered 140m views on YouTube.

Not to be outdone are newly married couples who have used the dance to celebrate their love while the sight of Catholic priests dancing to Jerusalema raised eyebrows among spectators.

Businesses have also taken advantage of the dance challenge to advertise their products as demand remains suppressed due to the lockdown.

The song scaled new heights this month when it was named the most popular track on Shazam.

Master KG has been elated by his creation's global success.

"It's so beautiful to see how Jerusalema has taken over the world, to see how far it has gone. The song did amazing at home. It ruled the streets and people created memories of the song," he said in the interview with Sowetan.

South African president Cyril Ramaphosa urged his citizens to take part in the dance challenge "to reflect on the difficult journey we have all travelled, to remember those who have lost their lives, and to quietly rejoice in the remarkable and diverse heritage of our nation".

Speaking on the country's Heritage Day he said: "And there can be no better celebration of our South African-ness than joining the global phenomenon that is the Jerusalema dance challenge. So I urge all of you to take up this challenge on Heritage Day and show the world what we are capable of."

The challenge, according to Nigerian musician Burna Boy, who featured on the Jerusalema remix, should be a unifying force for Africa.

"My hope is that it unites us through our divisions and misunderstandings and dance together. We are not in competition, we are one Africa, we are united," the 2020 BET award best international act winner said.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

This is 2 minutes long. It looks like a simple version of the dance so easier to learn. There are many other videos. Some of them get fancy!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

I did not know of this Stevie Wonder song until recently. Happily corrected.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2021

What a great thread! Loved the pun signs. I'm up early and had to close the office door because I was snickering.

Here's one of my favorite TED Talks: Where Joy Hides and How to Find It. Time runs 13:38.

Cherry blossoms and rainbows, bubbles and googly eyes: Why do some things seem to create such universal joy? In this captivating talk, Ingrid Fetell Lee reveals the surprisingly tangible roots of joy and shows how we all can find -- and create -- more of it in the world around us.

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Serenity - Thanks for "All in Love is Fair". I didn't realize that Stevie Wonder wrote that song & recorded the original version. With Barbara Streisand releasing her own version the next year. I have the delicious Nancy Wilson recording on an album of the same name. Definitely worth hearing.

Badger - looking forward to that TED talk.

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Oh oh - I'm sunk. Look up one thing and off I go. Take Five/Brubeck to John Coltrane to Miles Davis to Nina Simone to Aretha to BB King..... It's after 11am and I'm doing nothing but hearing the music. And just found this gem that I've never heard before - Gary B.B. Coleman "The Sky is Crying" - blues standard. Oh my. Don't know how you all feel about blues, but this is sublime.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Badger - Thanks for that link! It's similar to the article I read that I reference in the original post. I like the idea of designing with joy in mind. Now it makes sense why my hospital looks like a giant LEGO building (especially from the back). The interior is filled with light and art.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Minus - Nothing but hearing music sounds wonderful especially the blues! I love the song you posted.

Here's a rendition of Etta James's I'd Rather Go Blind that I love.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

🤣😷❤️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

We are covered in snow. At least the roads have been cleared. Yesterday my husband drove me to the hospital and one daughter to the dentist. Poor guy was in the car for hours. Visibility wasn't great, but there weren't many cars on the road due to lockdown. Today he had to tamp down the snow for the pup. Inside we're toasty and listening to reggae.

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

And this is the music I put on in the background when I'm working.

or maybe this

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

So now that I've done nothing of consequence today..... Ah well.

Isn't there a quote about 'a day w/o music...'

Edited to say we were posting at the same time so I'll put the Brandenburgs on hold & enjoy Marley.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Minus - Hope you enjoyed!

I've had an earworm. Think I heard the song from a commercial, but here's Smokey:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

🤣🤣🤣

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Hmm. I may have to try some of these in the home office kitchen. 😉

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

The pup is dream woofing. 🐾💤

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Ah Smokey... I'm old enough to remember the Miracles very well. I saw him in person several times. Once in the latet 90s we went back stage at a small theater in the round. He was doing a sort of reception line and he kissed me on the cheek. Oh my, be still my heart.