Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2021

I've had that song by Smokey in my head, too. It's a TV commercial. Don't remember the product but two people are cruisin' on the moon.

A great version of this song is by Huey Louis and Gwyneth Paltrow in a movie called Duets. They're father & daughter at a karaoke night.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264
    edited February 2021

Earworm warning... Or maybe only for seniors. Music has formed such a constant background in my life.

I clipped an article about Phil Spector's death. It says in HS he formed a band named The Teddy Bears and at 18 wrote "To Know Him is to Love Him". 60 years later, I can still sing every word to that song, but it's been bothering me. I finally decided why - my memory was telling me Patience & Prudence sang the song. Oh no - of course the obit was correct, but now I can't get rid of the two Patience & Prudence songs - which I can also sing word for word. "Tonight You Belong to Me" and "Gonna Get Along Without You Now". Not going to post You Tubes or they'll get stuck again. Wiki says this was "bubblegum pop". I never heard that phrase in the late 50s, but my friends and I sure did think we were hot stuff as pre-teens. Anybody remember "Lollipop, lollipop" and "Mr. Sandman"? We'd permanently left "How Much is that Doggie in the Window" behind in the dust.

Here's one of my favorites. From 1956, sung by the original Gogi in 2004 when she was 80.

Just a little older in HS and we were listening & singing mostly folk music - Joan Baez, The Kingston Trio, The Limeliters - along with early Motown. Oh, and Johnny Mathis. The very beginning of the Beach Boys. Obviously pre-Beatles.

OK - back to work now.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2021

Badger - Thanks! I hadn't seen the movie before.

Minus - I'm a child of the 80s, but I love old songs.

My earworm this morning is by the Cranberries (90s).

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Thanks for the Cranberries. Nice!!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Minus - I love her voice!

Love this Cowboy Junkies cover of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane".

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

I looked up the Cowboy Junkies. What fun it is to learn about all these people & groups new to me. Thanks again for this great thread.

I've been listening in my car to Jackson Browne's CD "Alive". Not really conducive to paying attention to driving. And from a different Browne album...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Minus - Great song! I'm glad you like the music. I started this thread to help me recover. It's only lately that it's focused on music videos. They're easier to post. 😁 Pick a random page and you might see exercises I did or pictures I took in a museum. There's even a picture of my foot with seeds taped to it for therapeutic purposes (nothing happened).

Do you like the Neville Brothers? I wish I had seen them in person, but this works well.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Thought I'd take a look back myself. Good stuff on this page. There are some posts missing from members who deleted their accounts. ☹️

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/7/topics/850199?page=26

• badger
    edited February 2021

My hubby and I travel to see our moms on Saturdays. His mom is 89 and still lives at home, with an adult son. We visit for an hour or two and bring her something yummy and nutritious to eat since she's in a wheelchair and doesn't cook any more. My mom is 90 and is in assisted living, also in a wheelchair. Due to COVID I can't visit in-person. There's a polar vortex over the Midwest so it was too cold for a window visit. It makes us feel good to be needed, provide help, and show we care. That is a thick slice of joy. Yesterday's thin slice: on the way home, we spotted an eagle soaring above the highway.

Here's an amazing video: Old-time movie stars dance to Uptown Funk. I am in awe of the person who put together these clips.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Badger - Love that video! I'm glad you were able to see your family even at a distance. It's good to look up every so often. Might see an eagle! 👍

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Wow Serenity - what an amazing wedding in 2017. Gorgeous bride/church/reception.

Yes I like the Neville Brothers. Hard to sit at my desk top computer and not dance to Love Fest.

Badger - what a fun video. Stay safe in your COLD weather. We're concerned that it will be 30 next Friday night. I'll have to cover my tomatoes.

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited February 2021

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_OdzmQEwKy5dpxtBE...

Interesting to see how many women are heads of countries in the world. Who knew.

• badger
    edited February 2021

Sunday's thin slice of joy was literally slices, of homemade cheesecake. Last week, I shoveled enough of the snowplow crud at the bottom of my neighbor's driveway so she could get her car into her garage. (I'm retired but she's still working.) She brought treats to say thanks for being neighborly.

Yesterday's thin slice was an email from my mom's AL place to say they would be starting in-person visits next week. We'll be masked and separated by a plexiglass barrier so no hugs but it will be great to talk to her without being on a cell phone and shivering in the cold.

Here's a music video that gives me, and the performers, joy. They are having so much fun. I dare you to not tap your toes!

Clockwise from left: Bryan Sutton, Pat Bergeson, Tommy Emmanuel, Guthrie Trapp, and Richard Smith. Masters all.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Minus - That couple is having their first child now! Jealous of your tomatoes. I have the tundra outside. ❄️

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

badger - I love cheesecake! I should make some. It's very thoughtful of you to shovel her driveway. Everyone on my street hires it out. Some people do their own walkways, but the only snow I "shovel" is the pitcher of snow from the back patio that I bring in to use for plant water. Glad to read you'll be able to do in-person visits soon. And thank you for the video. It's a great rendition of a Johnny Cash song. Love the focus on guitars.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Fasting has increased my appreciation for a cool glass of water, coffee and cream, and scrambled eggs. 😋

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Slices of joy: Today mine was a bowl of fresh raspberries in heavy cream. It's fortunate that the stores here often have raspberries on sale 2 for $5.00 , or even $1.99. It's fortunate that I can afford them. But since 1/2 a container was my entire breakfast and lunch combined, it's probably not overly indulgent.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

Raspberries in cream are so delicious! I also like putting a few raspberries in water.

Today I had a sweet clementine. I still have Christmas chocolate. Helps that I start with a good amount. 😁

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

My older daughter said her co-workers think it's weird that she uses the word "groovy". What's wrong with them?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

• badger
    edited February 2021

Feelin' Groovy!

• badger
    edited February 2021

Yesterday's thin slice is kinda weird: rabbit pellets below the bird feeder. We 'inherited' a gang of house sparrows when we bought this house. The previous owner fed them and they would look at me and chirp in anticipation whenever I went outside. So I filled up the feeder and have kept it going ever since. They are messy little things and there's always spillage beneath the feeder. It's eaten by members of the gang that can't find a place at the feeder, and other critters such as squirrels, chipmunks, and the occasional mourning dove. Heck, we've even had deer in our front yard. My hubby noticed the little round pellets of poop yesterday. It makes me happy to help a family of bunnies during this hard winter. They live under my next-door neighbor's back porch and eat our dandelions in the summer.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
    edited February 2021

We have does that visit our bird feeder daily in the morning (usually right after DH refills it) including two older females and their fawns. One doe had triplets and the other has a singlet. One of the little ones just dug a hole in the snow and is currently resting in my garden. What a beautiful sight this morning. Nature at its best. So lucky to have this wild life connection even though they have made my junipers look like sticks, sigh.

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Sorry to hear Mary Wilson died this week. She's the "supreme" that hung on longest with the group after Diana Ross broke out on her own.

The name of The Supremes will always go down the history of music as the first group to reach the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100 not twice, not thrice but for five times consecutively.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

badger - Groovy! I like that the birds trained you to fill the feeder. It's a good trade to feed the rabbits that weed your yard. There's a bird feeder on the other side of our cedars. Once winter is over I'll start seeing birds having fun around there.

Betrayal - We don't have deer, but we have skunks under our stoop. Wonderful that the does and fawns are in your yard.

Minus - I didn't see that she died. ☹️ It's been in the news that Christopher Plummer died. He grew up around here. Here he is on the piano.

• badger
    edited February 2021

Wow, Christopher Plummer was a talented pianist. Who knew?

His classical piece reminded me of a favorite video that is a flashmob of a bit of Beethoven's ninth. There's a reason it has more than 87 million views!

I have seen this many times but always wind up with goosebumps and tears in my eyes by the end. Love people's reactions, especially the little kids "conducting" the orchestra.

RIP Mary Wilson. If you're interested, check out Hitsville: The Making of Motown. Great story of American business savvy, the civil rights movement, and OMG the music. I saw it on Showtime. You can probably find it on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime, but if like me you don't subscribe to a streaming service, here's a link to it on You Tube.

Yesterday's thin slice was finding pączki (pronounced punch-key) at my local grocery store. They are filled donuts traditionally eaten on Fat Tuesday. My friend who is Polish and Catholic adores them but usually goes to Milwaukee to buy them. I brought her a four-pack and she was so happy.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2021

Badger,

That was so cool! I wish I would come upon something like this, as those people did. That is a definite slice of joy.

• minustwo
    edited February 2021

Badger - how did you guess? I don't subscribe to a streaming service so I appreciate the link.

Thanks for the flashmob. Like you, I had tears in my eyes before the first minute was over.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited February 2021

badger - I love that video!

My older daughter made a mocha German chocolate cake. It's so delicious.

The Blacklist was good tonight. Huey Lewis played himself in an episode dedicated to a beloved character played by Clark Middleton who died in October.